CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 11, 2010

Can talent outweigh size in Hollywood?

Posted: 06:03 PM ET

By Breeanna Hare, Special to CNN

(CNN) - Not even a full week has passed since Gabourey Sidibe attended the 82nd Annual Academy Awards as a best actress nominee and we're already questioning whether her career is over.

Despite the accolades bestowed upon the actress in the past few months, it's unclear if the film industry can go against the norm and cast a young woman who is not only African-American, but also larger than the Hollywood standard in a non-niche role, as the romantic lead in a major film vehicle, for example.

During Howard Stern's Sirius satellite show on Monday morning, co-host Robin Quivers commented that Sidibe should have looked around at the Oscars and noticed that none of the other working actresses looked like her.

"What movie could she play in?" Stern questioned on his live broadcast. "You feel bad because everyone pretends that she's part of show business, and she's never going to be in another movie."

The comments made on Stern's show sparked a heated debate among moviegoers and industry observers, with some believing the shock-jock was simply saying what everyone else is thinking.

Jeffrey Wells, a columnist who's lent his candid perspective on the industry to a variety of outlets over the years and now blogs about it on HollywoodElsewhere.com, said in an e-mail, "Gabby is a lovely person and a fine actress, but the hard fact is that she's way, way too fat," adding that the actress will suffer from health problems as well as limited career opportunities if she doesn't lose weight.

"I don't want Gabby to not work, but the only roles she'll have a shot at playing will be down-market moms and hard-luck girls working at Wal-Mart," Wells continued. "No casting director would choose her to play anyone in the upscale executive world ... because no one in the executive world looks like her."

Read more...

Filed under: Entertainment

Maria Copelli   March 11th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

Gerald Jolly ,how dare you say such a rude comment!There are many people who can relate to her as a woman,a young girl.Someone with some real imagination,or vision will have more projects for this young lady. How were you raised ,I know your Mother ,didnt teach you to be insensitive?That is so unkind !Shame ,Shame,Shmae on you Gerald Jolly......Maria C.

kelly   March 11th, 2010 7:40 pm ET

I saw Precious last night and thought Gabriel did an excellent job-A woman is Obese in Hollywood if she is Queen Latifa's size or Monique's size or even Oprah's size...But that's not the real world or real human experiences. More people look like many of these bigger women than Paris Hilton (who has no acting career) or other waifs like Brittany Murphy.

Its sad how we marginalize people and insult them when they look different. Its too easy to assign one's own values in a cruel or meaningless way..For example (tongue in cheek),

"If I think bald headed, middle aged men (50 and over) are gross and unattractive, then I have a right to say what ever I want about them. They are clearly not healthy, because being middle aged means you are closer to the grave then a twenty something guy. Not having hair on your head, or a big nose or a gross un-toned man boobed body is disgusting!!! Why should I have to look at you or people like you? Quit your job (you are preventing the youth from having work) and stay inside-because I don't like the look of you (eewww- gross and unhealthy) and none of my friends look like you.

Do us all a favor and disappear to seculsion, you selfish and disgusting person-.there is no excuse for bald middle aged men.

Rose   March 11th, 2010 8:20 pm ET

The article states that per Jeffrey Wells – an actress as overweight at Sidibe would only get cast playing down-market moms and hard-luck girls working at Wal-Mart. That no one in the upscale executive world looks like her.

This comment makes a strong statement not about weight – but about social class. That overweight is associated with being poor and uneducated and slim is upscale. The continued portrayal of this image does exist in TV and films. The exceptions are shows such as Drop Dead Diva about an overweight, intelligent female lawyer. An episode discussed "weight" discrimination in employment.

There was a time when actors were "too black" or "not black enough" for a role (e.g. Lena Horne). "Too old" or the usual "too fat". When the overweight Hattie McDaniel won her Oscar in 1940 for "Gone With the Wind" she still found work in movies. A reflection of the time 70 years ago, she continued to play the role of a maid – not for being overweight but for being black.

McDaniel's race typecast her into the then "acceptable" roles of servant. Today heavy people are typecast as poor, Walmart cashiers or comical figures. Considering that much of America is struggling with obesity (including children) – the continued portrayal of slim-as-acceptable in films deliberately omits this very real and human part of society as possible participants, without overt class bias in its depictions.

Theresa   March 11th, 2010 11:44 pm ET

How ironic that it is all men that feel they have the right to criticize a female's body. Why should you care if she ever gets another acting job...the only person that should care is Gabourey. If she ever loses weight I hope it's not for a part but for her health. By the way...Lindsay Lohan is white, thin, a good actor & look where she is now. Howard Stern,Robin Quivers ,& Jeffrey Wells could care less about Gabourey.. the only thing they're interested in is how much money can this story about Gabi generate & Howard's only concern is ratings. So, boys go back in your holes where you belong!!!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 12th, 2010 12:13 am ET

Gosh Gerald Jolly you are cruel with your comments. You are sure not one to mince your words.

Ted   March 12th, 2010 9:16 am ET

For this poor obese woman the quality of life most likely means sitting on her behind watching TV and feeding herself with munchies all day!!
Besides, she will spend most of her money on doctors´ bills, because she is predestined for many illnesses caused by her eating habits.
It is a sure way to kill herself slowly, but surely.
We should not feel sorry for her, because she did this to herself. Other people were able to lose 150 lbs or more with a diet and keeping their fanny off the couch, she could do it, too.

Rose   March 12th, 2010 10:32 am ET

Being thin is not enough for the industry. Many healthy, attractive actresses feel the need to "alter" themselves including: implants, lip injections, lyposuction, lifts, pulls, tucks, stuff, extract. Gone are the days when a young actor (male or female) simply had a nose job or some minor change for aesthetic reasons.

The body dysmorphic attitude extends beyond the usual changes in style and results in some very unnatural looking people in films. The health implications of some procedures (leaking implants, death or disfigurement during surgery etc) should also be considered, as well as the health dangers of obesity for the overweight.

Theresa   March 12th, 2010 11:43 am ET

@ Ted ...I'm assuming you don't have a weight problem...of all the addictions ....food is the only one we cannot eliminate from our lives. It's not the process of losing weight-it's the maintaining that's the most difficult. I'm also assuming your character is without imperfections. I do hope if Gabi does decide to lose weight it's for her health & not for any old part. If you've ever seen an interview with heshe says she's always enjoyed her life. Do you realize anyone with a weight problem ...it's their problem..noone else's business. Do you think it's contagious, that people will think less of you if you're friends with an obese person people will think less of you. Most average weight people think it's their right & duty to give advice to the overweight,obese person. You don't realize that 's the worse thing you can do"'it only angers that person & makes them eat more. It's just like any addiction....the person afflicted with the problem is the ONLY person that can decide if he/she wants to change. Your friends are to be there for support. I don't agree with enabling. To me if the obese person constantly states I hate my weight....I want to lose weight...then 5 sec, later they're eating chips & dip. I have no patience for that...all I've said to friends like that is what are you going to do about it...stating you want to lose weight & actually doing something about it are @different things. I'm always ready to support but an enabler I'm not!!

Ted   March 12th, 2010 1:15 pm ET

@ Theresa

You are right, I do not have a weight problem, because I work on it all the time. Anybody can get fat, all you have to do is to feed your mouth all the time and sit on your backside and watch it grow.
To stay in shape takes a lot of work and self control, not to forget self esteem.

Obesity is ugly to start with. These people cost the taxpayers and/or the insurance industry a lot of money, because they have a lot of illnesses caused by their eating habits and no physical exercise to mention. Diabetis one of them. In addition, they cannot do a proper job, so many times they are on welfare living off the hard working taxpayers.
Looking at this woman, what personal chief in his or her right mind would hire her for any job? What could she do? Obese people are usually very lazy, one of the causes for their shape.

I have no pity for drunkards, drug addicts and obese persons, because their condition is caused by their own deeds.
She could change it by not buying any munchies, sweets and other fattening foods and start walking at least two miles a day!
Vegetables, fruits, boiled potatoes, lean meats, fish, rice, noodles do not make you fat if you do not soak it in rich sauces or cooking oil.

If I have the urge for a snack, then I eat a yoghurt with a banana, or some fruits, or a piece of cheese with bread, etc., etc.
In my house we have no munchies, potato chips, coca-cola or any other soda with hundreds of colories. No frozen ready dinner or any rich ready souces, because they make you fat in the long run.

It is well known that italians and the french eat well. How many fat person can you see in those countries? Very few, because they eat the right food.
We have a free country, you can destroy yourself or you can have a happy and healthy life. Look at all those drug addicts in Hollywood, they have all the money to enjoy life, but they kill themselves with drugs and alcohol.
It is a free country, but do not cry for sympathy.

Lori - Justice For Michael   March 12th, 2010 1:43 pm ET

Ms. Sidibe is a talented actress. No one knows what the future my have in store for her. She looks like a "real person". Probably more people in the real world look like Ms. Sidibe than like the many aneroxic actresses that we see in movies everywhere. She has talent. She should be lauded for her talent and not reviled for her appearance. Just how shallow can the movie and entertainment industry be? Right....this is the same world that gave us Heidi Montag for an example on the other side of the spectrum....is that the image of beauty we want to see?

Rose   March 12th, 2010 2:26 pm ET

Poverty is also a main cause for obesity. Poverty and obesity often go hand in hand because poor families stretch their budgets by buying cheaper, processed foods that have higher fat content and lower nutritional value. This also includes a lot of carbs such as pasta and rice as they tend to "go farther" for less cost.

Fruits, fresh vegetables, leaner meats cost more. I am not trying to excuse anyone from not taking responsibility for their weight by not exercising or eating right. My point is that children from poorer backgrounds are not always raised with the best diet. They grow to become overweight adolescents and the cycle continues into adulthood. Admittedly, cultural preferences for fried or battered foods in some parts of the country do not help.

We are what we eat (and do), what we eat is often dictated by ability to pay for healthier or "better" food. Just something to consider.

Cindy   March 12th, 2010 3:14 pm ET

I think this lady should focus on her weight and not her acting career. In our various professions, we all know that we need to prepare and be prepared to be successful. I think Gabriel probably knows that her weight could be an impediment to future success. So if she can act, why would she not prepare herself to further her acting career which, as she knows, requires losing weight. If people chose not to address their addiction to food, it costs all of us in the way of healthcare of course. But we can accept their being obese; however by the same taken, they need to accept the price tag that goes with it. So this is really her decision; but whatever her decision is, she needs to take ownership of it and make no excuses. She is not and should not suggest that she is a victim.

Gerald Jolly   March 12th, 2010 4:44 pm ET

Well Folks, I calls it as I sees it.

Dodie   March 12th, 2010 5:04 pm ET

And we wonder in the US why so many women die of Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa every single year? The mortality rate among people with anorexia is 12 times higher than the mortality rate for all causes of death among females aged 15-24 according to the National Eating Disorders Association.

The continued judgment we place on others due to their outward appearance is horrific. This woman is a talented actress, I watched the movie and was deeply moved by her pain and anguish.

Men who are molested as children have the potential of being the perpetrator as adults. Many women who have been molested as children will end up being obese. Both result from a defense mechanism. This is not about being lazy, this is about dealing and coping with a catastrophic event(s) as a child. These people already have low self-worth. The criticisms from others strike at the very core of these individuals. How can anyone be so cruel?

Gerald Jolly   March 12th, 2010 5:22 pm ET

How to waste $12 dollars.

Go see the movie PRECIOUS

Gerald Jolly   March 12th, 2010 6:14 pm ET

Let's be honest folks.

They used an OBESE young woman with limited talent in order to make the movie more believable.

She was unquestionably exploited, because the Director and Producers needed a fat obese young woman to better depict not only who the actor that played , but also the millions of very Obese black young women in America. That are trapped in a body they hate and are ridiculed for, and an unhealthy type of diet that is prevelent in the black ghettos of America.

C,mom folks, you just have to agree. that calling a SPADE a SPADE is not wrong.

Theresa   March 12th, 2010 10:12 pm ET

@Gerald Jolly.......you didn't need to have 8 postings re: Gabi.....your opinion came across LOUD & clear. I'm assuming you also have a personality with No imperfections. I hope you're happy with yourself because in my opinion it would be hard to be your friend...therearen't many perfect people in this world!!!

Theresa   March 12th, 2010 10:21 pm ET

@ Ted...so,you're saying there are no obese people that are happy, employed,good parents ,great friends..Well,if that is what you're saying....I feel sorry for you. Oprah Winphrey is overweight & @ times obese...now there's an example of a person who is not lazy& where no grass grows under her feet. I'm sorry that you judge a person by the cover only...you miss all the content , much better than the content!!

Maria Copelli   March 12th, 2010 11:53 pm ET

Gerald Jolly...............!Maria C.

Ted   March 13th, 2010 10:15 am ET

@ Theresa

You are reading into my blog things that I did not say! Were you ever or are you in politics?

We perhaps have different definations about the word obese.
Oprah is fat, but not obese. Gaby is extreme obese. There are a lot of people in the USA who are fat, 20, 30, 40 lbs over what we call a normal weight.
Obesity begings when you have 80-100 lbs or more extra on your ripps, have a behind like an elephant and walk like a duck, if you can walk at all.
If such a person would ask for my help to take off a bunch of weight I would do my best to comply.
However, if she sits on her fat behind, feeds her face all day and complain about the hard life, then I have nothing for her. There are billions of other human beings who have a much harder life, they have my sympathy.

I am sick and tired of all the excuses I hear for being obese, alcoholic and drug addict.
If you can pay for all that food, alcohol and drugs you consume you do not have a hard life, you make it hard for yourself.

@ Rose

I must correct you on above. Pasta, rice and potatoes will not make you fat, the sauce and fats you put on it will!!
My wife makes her own spaghetti sauce with canned whole tomatoes, very little fat, a lot of different spices and meat, shrimp or fish. It is delicious and have low calories, you can eat it without remorse. Boiled or baked potatoes have a lot of calcium, but little calories. If you fry it with a lot of fat, then you just ruined a healthy meal.

You are correct, low income families are more apt to be fat, because they eat a lot of cheap food with high calories, such as potato chips, all kind of munchies, fried food etc.
For the same money they could eat a much healthier meal if the mother is not too lazy to cook. Many of them are.

Dodie   March 13th, 2010 1:26 pm ET

Not all obese women have been molested; however, 90% of the obese women in the US were molested as a child. You may ask…. What is the correlation?

Obese women who were molested are caught in a paradox. Their subconscious mind translates their childhood molest resulting from their small stature; whereby, they become large enough; they will be safe from male predation.

Their cognizant desires and needs are focused on experiencing attention and relationships with men.

These women are truly caught in the zenith of an oxymoron! Very sad but true!

Theresa   March 13th, 2010 2:05 pm ET

@ Ted....Gabi is morbidly obese. I've heard her in interviews...she has never complained about her life, she said she's always enjoyed her life. I'm certain she would prefer to weigh less. For some people it's very difficultto lose.I don't think she sits on her duff complaining about the plight of her life! She's an active college student ,or she was until the movie Precious.(I'm not sure.) I've known many attractive,physically active adults who were the most self centered ,selfish humans. who couldn't have a conversation other than weight, fashion, & themselves. I for one would prefer to have a friendship with an obese person rather than a person whose favourite word is I. I hope I'm the type of person who accepts people for whom they are...not what i think they should be. Do you realize that when a person is extremely overweight ,it's usually something emotional that makes them overeat. Many times they don't even enjoy the food. Yes, the world would be a better place if noone had any addictions BUT guess what...we're only humans & yes we make mistakes!!!

Theresa   March 13th, 2010 3:59 pm ET

@ Ted...I don't know if you have children...but what would you do if you had a child who was severely overweight or obese. I have a cousin whose sisters always had a weight problem(he never did). He married an attractive woman who also never had a weight problem. They vowed if they had a daughter she would never have a weight problem. They do have a daughter who from the time she was young had an athletic body shaoe..not petite @@ all. My cousin's wife always was concerned with weight, nutritious food. Cindy (their daughter) always had a weight problem,irritated her parents all to heck. The mother enforced several diet & exercise plans, not allowing her to eat with the family, having to eatearlier than the rest. If they were out in public & a family friend or relative lost weight Cindy's mother would drag her to where ever the weight loss person was to show Cindy that it could be done. It even got so bad that Cindy was informed by her mom that if they were invited to the same event & dessert was being served she was not allowed to go since she didn't need the extra calories. I couldn't listen to this garbage anymore... I talked to mom privately..informing her if she didn't stop harassing her daughter she would never have any type of relationship with her . Mom was not impressed with me but she must have thought it over since she no longer embarasses Cindy in public. Many times this happened when she was an adult & married. It used to break my heart how cruel her mom was. She equated her daughter's worth with her weight!

kelly   March 13th, 2010 7:46 pm ET

The leading cause of illness and death for all populations is age. Not Obesity.

People who are not fat and live healthy lives, including the young have health problems and die. Often its unexpected. "He was an athlete so who would have guessed he'd die so young" "She never drank or smoked and exercised everyday, so how did she get cancer or die from an aneurism" . We all have heard it before. Statistics are relative to the quality of the study and scientific studies are constantly being manipulated. As a culture we are too concerned with nomothetic data(the 66% which varies two standard deviations) while, we should be concerned with idiographic data, that is everyone's individual stories.

The obesity factor (what ever the definition is today) is over used and over hyped by the media. People with serious weight problems exist because obesity is treated as a psychological or character problem or a calorie problem. For many overweight people this is not the case-its a metabolism problem; starvation in previous generations (recent ancestors) problem; a universal lifestyle problem that effects people living in cities, using modern conveniences. We are all fatter than our ancestors just two generations ago.

For a variety of reasons, some people are more effected by their metabolic rate and appetite than others. Science has not addressed these realities and some people can eat 4000 calories a day and not get fat, while others especially women as they age, may eat 1500 calories and still be 40-50 lbs over weight.

kelly   March 13th, 2010 7:55 pm ET

Keep in mind that a standard McDonalds meal has between 1200-1500 calories and many kids eat at Mckie dees, Taco Bell etc daily and don't get fat. We only see the stories on TV about the ones who do get fat.

Why are there "hollow legs" and beanpoles? Why are there others who look at food and gain weight?.

Ted   March 14th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

@ Theresa

I do not know Gaby, I have not seen the movie, my comment are based on the picture in the blog.
However I have seen many obese women in my life and nobody gets fat if she doesn´t eat too much, the wrong food and the only exercise they have is the walk to the bathroom.

We have a friend who is fat-fat, but not obese in my opinion. She eats very little during the normal mealtime, so we wondered why is she good 50 lbs overweight?
Because she eats all day!!! A few nuts here, some crackers there, then a piece of chocolate. The chips must go, too.
She eats probably 2,000 calories beside her meals.

Our society became soft, we do not like to work, but make a lot of money. We are bored, lazy and care very little for the world outside of our immediate area. How many people do sports regularly or take long walks? Very few.
We use excuses for everything, why did we fail in highschool, why we cannot do a proper job, why we drink and eat too much, why we cannot keep our marriage intact.
Our fathers did know the answer to those questions, today we go to headshrinkers and pay them a fortune to tell us what we should know ourselves.

Maria Copelli   March 14th, 2010 11:24 pm ET

Theresa@2;05p.m.thans for that heartfelt honest ,mature comment,I too have seen many very thin fit individuals who are very lonely ,sad or too self centered to attract someone nice into their lives.And my mother used to say 'there are as many fat graves as thin ones'.So I come from a family of 10,and none of us were overweight.We had chores ,and were active from sunrise to sunset.Everyone is different ,in size color size etc,just as no two snowflakes are alike ,yet they are still snowflakes ! We are humans ,and yes admittedly it is nice to,be svelte perfect teeth long flowing hair that is your very own,but does all of this makes us happy?
Being crule and calliing someone fat ,ugly,etc ,never motivates one to make that change...it is really psycological,and sometimes being called fat ,just makes you want to stay that way sometimes we become what we are called.So why not just accept each other for what we are?Humans,no matter our SIZE!!!!!!!when we look for something positive to find in one another it feels so good! Maria C.

Ted   March 15th, 2010 9:31 am ET

@ Dodie

According to the latest statistics one third of the US population is obese!! That means around 100 million.

Over half of them are women, or good 50 million, and using your data of 90%, 45 million of them were misused as a child.
Either you are wrong or we have the most pedophiles in the whole world. It is childish to try to find excuses by all means just to justify a bad habit with fatal consequences.

Our society depends on every citizen to support it, or we go down the drain. What can we expect from an extremely obese, an alcoholic or a drug user? Will they do their share of pulling the cart or do we have to pull the cart with all those people in it?

Instead of finding excuses, we should lean on them and make it clear that their habits are not acceptable. We should also give full support so they can change their lives, if they are inclined to do it.

There is a very simple and good diet: you can eat everything, just eat the half of your usual portion and move your fanny. When you are on the road do not bring anything to drink or eat with you, do it after you get back home.

Dodie   March 15th, 2010 4:07 pm ET

@ Ted

If every person, who remembers being molested, answered on a poll... I think even you would be amazed. It happens all the time; more often than anyone would like to even acknowledge. It is the dirty little secret. That is not to say, some people, for whatever reason, make a conscious choice to be overweight!. I am only suggesting that being molested has an impact on an individual which can lead to obesity. By the way, not just in women but men become obese.

It is hard to imagine anyone thinking... "Well if I eat 5,000 calories a day, and just sit on my a* * ... I can be so huge, I have to purchase 3 seats on the plane, not to mention being stuck in the isle, everyone stares at me in horror, never have a relationship with anyone, cannot climb up a flight of stairs... on and on. It is just not logical.

Ted, why not look deeper than just the behavior for an understanding. Like you, I eat salmon, chicken 1 – 2 times a week, lots of veggies, some fruits. I exercise every day sometimes twice a day and struggle to maintain my normal weight!

Ted   March 16th, 2010 10:03 am ET

@ Dodie

I was not born with a silverspoon in my mouth and as a child we went sometimes hungry, so I can understand the not having status.
However, I do not use this as an excuse to feed my face all day, just because now I can efford it!

Nobody goes and says, I want to be an alcoholic or a drug addict, or even obese, they start small, but cannot control their consumption.

I give you an example: I always worked in the highest military headquarters, with a bunch of generals, a slew of colones, etc.
40 years ago at lunch most everyone had a drink or two, at five o´clock at the officers´club we stood at five deep at the bar.
This was, because there was no regulations governing the use of alcohol. I personally never had a drop of alcohol when I worked.

Today, nobody dares to have a drink during duty hours, at 5 PM the bar is empty. Why?? Because the regulations have been changed, alcohol is not acceptable and if you drink you can say good bye to your career.

Those were all americans and could change their habits, because they had to!! Why not the average Joe or Jane?
This pussyfooting with drunks, drug addicts and obese people get me more than upset. Lean on them, give them hard time and if they want to change, all the help they need. But please, no excuses, because the Army has the same people with all kind of background!

Dodie   March 16th, 2010 8:39 pm ET

@ Ted

Thank you for the willingness of providing some information of your life and personal experiences. It helps me gain a better understanding of you and your cognitive constructions.

I am not arguing their behavior cannot change. Of course it can. As long as we are alive, we all have the opportunity to make changes.

I guess what sticks out the most is the energy or charge you seem to have with reference to a strong judgment or possibly opinion on obese individuals. There is something about this topic, for lack of better words, fires you up. Almost like, someone you knew and loved died from obesity. Or I may be just hitchhiking around in the universe….

Callie   March 17th, 2010 1:09 pm ET

Miss Sidibe is so very talented...how can we help her achieve optimum health? I think that just as Valerie Bertinelli, I believe that she would be an excellent candidate and make a great spokeswoman for the Nutrisystem program....and in the process lose all of the weight that she needs for a healthy future! We are responsible for our health and well-being, as soon as we become aware that we are personally responsible for our health and well-being...the rest is up to us! It's all for Love...L.O.V.E

Ted   March 17th, 2010 3:06 pm ET

@ Dodie

Yes , you are on the wrong trip.
I was never fat, never smoked and was never an alcoholic, although got drunk a few times at good parties and do enjoy a couple of glasses of good red wine.
However I like a good argument and will do my best to present my opinion, sometimes I even provoke you to see how you react.
And I always despised sweating, wobbling, duck stepping obese people, after all, we all have a few shortcomings. They are not fat because they were so created, but because of their inability to control their intake and the total lack of self esteem.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter