CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 5, 2010

Melissa Rivers on surviving the Academy Awards

Posted: 03:59 PM ET

Well, Oscar time is upon us. In Los Angeles it signals the start of spring as much as blooming flowers, 70 degree weather, and allergies.  Love is in the air for one and all until after the big show and one realizes that if you didn’t win, no one wants to sit with you.  Keep your chin up.  At least you were invited to the dance.

Melissa, with her mom, Joan Rivers on the red carpet

As with every big event, there is lots of drama leading up to it. This year much of it swirled around “Hurt Locker” producer Nicolas Chartier. In his excitement of being nominated, Chartier sent out emails asking people to vote for his movie not another film, specifically one that cost “500 million” to make.  The Academy says he violated a no smack talking rule, and un-invited him to the show.

In the days following this public debacle, I sensed that Mr. Chartier might have read my new book, “Red Carpet Ready Secrets for Making the most of Any Time You are in the Spotlight,” In the book I try and help people get thru situations where they are in the “spotlight,” good, bad, or indifferent. It seems that “Nic” (I can call him that now) followed the rules for navigating such a minefield.

Right off the bat, He took ownership of his mistake. He didn’t try and blame someone else or play stupid. Nic actually publically apologized for his gaffe and said that he wasn’t aware that he had violated any rules. He went on to explain that his excitement and enthusiasm clouded his better judgment. Most importantly, he accepted the Academy’s decision to “un invite” him with out a complaint.

As of today, we do not know who will win Best Picture. We do know that if “Hurt Locker” wins, Nicholas Chartier will not be on the stage to accept his Oscar. However, AMPAS has confirmed that in that event, he will still get his award sent to him. If the Oscar people have also read my book they will use the chapter on graciousness and make sure it gets there next-day air, not ground shipping.

For more information about Melissa, her book and the red carpet, go to her website

Filed under: Entertainment

Cajazz76:24:8   March 5th, 2010 5:52 pm ET

Melissa River's?...One word......Vomit!

Callie   March 5th, 2010 6:12 pm ET

Everything is conscious. We are all One. We are all connected thru a Universal grid of consciousness. When we understand consciousness, we understand one another and our world, and our separation to it falls away. It's all for Love...L.O.V.E

Joe G. (Illinois)   March 5th, 2010 7:19 pm ET

And some people drink scotch in the morning while others have a sensible breakfast. Point is, nobody likes that raspy aftertaste that sticks with you all day like when watching the Oscars. I mean.. I have never watched it but I imagine, and sure ain’t gonna buy a book about it.

JIM carroll   March 5th, 2010 7:39 pm ET

GIVE THE STATES SOME NEW MONEY SO THEY CAN SOLVE THEIR EDUCATIONAL PROBLEMS!!! THEY GAVE UP THEIR POWER TO
CREATE MONEY TO BECOME PART OF THE USA. SEE ARTICLE 1,

STIMULUS MONEY AND MONEY FOR THE JOBS BILL SHOULD HAVE BEEN CREATED–NOT BORROWED. SEE ARTICLE 1, SECTION 8, OF
THE CONSTITUTION AT INTERNETFREEPRESS.COM

beth   March 6th, 2010 1:29 am ET

Well, her book is called "Making the most of when your're in the spotlight.." Apparently, it was written well after her time on the "Apprentince" since she made an ass out of herself on that show. I've never seen anyone behave the way she did. She can give all the "reasons" why she acted the way she did, but in the end she showed herself to be a stuck-up, spoiled mommy's girl. Just wish while she's on the "interview circuit" at least one of the reporters/interviewers would ask her about her Apprentice experience.

marlin   March 6th, 2010 1:58 am ET

Melissa had everything it took to win the apprentice,she was a great team player,quietly effective,very focused.She met all the challenges head on,as far as that flare up episode,how much can someone bite their lip and put up high school antics.She is a good person and her mother should be proud of her abilities and her good business sense.

Theresa   March 6th, 2010 9:33 am ET

So, what gives Ms Rivers jr. any authority to give anyone credible advice.. @ one time I thought Ms Rivers sr. was quite humorous....now I think they.re both jokes. Both could tie for the BOTOX queens. So, now Ms. Rivers jr. is an author...if she wasn't Joan Rivers daughter noone would give her a 2nd look. I give Barbara Walters's daughter credit, She's married,has her own profession & wants to stay out of the limelight. Hollywood is a JOKE...they're not allowing Nicholas Cartier to attend the Oscar's because he went on the inernet to promote his film & said vote for me. Everybody promotes their film...some probably pay people to vote for them.. He was a bit more blatant... Hollywood had their proof. I'm sure his filmwon't win now...... Cameron was probably the one that made the biigest fit about it. He wouldn't want his ex to beat him out of the race...it's the ego that matters.

Cherry   March 6th, 2010 10:22 am ET

They are so good-looking,right?I love you,beautiful women! ----I'm a girl

Donald L Allen   March 6th, 2010 2:04 pm ET

Hi Joana rivers what about the date I ask four I,M just getting older and I,M already 50 if you don't go out with me soon Ill be goon so what you gonna do you and M,y moon is the same age you get along just fine you need sum one to care four you what you think you or such a love girl what do you want me to say what LC can I say Donald L Allen Love you sweetheart I.M not to good with girl try me

Ted   March 7th, 2010 1:44 pm ET

In Hollywood to be successful you must have one of the following:

You must have talent, or
you must be jewish.

Those who are talented and jewish will be the stars.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 8th, 2010 8:23 am ET

She's just re-inventing herself. Is that a crime. She should know a thing or two, afterall she is Joan River's daughter.

lola   March 8th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

Ted
You are worse than an idiot – you are antisimetic in your rant. There are many non-talented non- Jews in Hollywood as well as many talented jews in Hollywood. Take your Nazi uniform off and open your eyes!

lola   March 8th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

Ted
You are worse than an idiot – you are antisimetic in your rant. There are many non-talented non- Jews in Hollywood as well as many talented Jews in Hollywood. Take your Nazi uniform off and open your eyes!

lola   March 8th, 2010 2:58 pm ET

Ted
Take your Nazi uniform off and open your eyes!

Kat   March 8th, 2010 3:13 pm ET

What could be worst than to vote for a war which took out a man who had no weapons of mass destruction now puts Iran on the loose to be a terror to everyone else?

Ted   March 9th, 2010 10:42 am ET

@ lola

You must be one of those uneducated and arrogant jews who give those people the bad name!!! Should anyone even mention anything about jews, he is immediately anti-semitic.
If you do not agree with my comments than there is an intelligent and acceptable way to let me know it!
You have just as good manners as Joan Rivers has, whom I had the pleasure of meeting at a party in New York good 40 years ago.

I did not say anything negative about jews, just reminded the other bloggers that Hollywood is swimming in jewish personnel in all type of work, talented and untalented.
Only about 2.5% of the population of the USA is jewish, yet well over 50% of the important people there, studio bosses, directors and well paid actors have a jewish background.
I don´t want to bore people by listing names, but the question can be voiced: are jews more talented than all christians and other religions together!!??

Or it is a way to make sure americans are bombarded daily with pro-jewish shows both on TV and movies?

I must add that I would also make a similar comment if most people in Hollywood would be italian, russian or chinese. That place just do not mirror the population of this country.

Ted   March 9th, 2010 11:20 am ET

@ lola

In return of your offer about a nazi uniform I offer you to join the MOSSAD. This will give you the opportunity to travel the world killing all those anti-semitic individuals!!

By the way, the jews compromise only approx. 5% of the semitic peoples, arabs, assyrians, ethiopians and a slew of other small folks in the middle east are also semitic.
Why do you think that you have the right to monopolize that cathegory?

Ted   March 9th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

@ lola

If you are jewish, as I presume you are after your comments, and your family comes from Europe, as most american jews do, than it is about 90% sure that you are not even semitic, but you belong to a turkish group of folks!!

Probably you are not very bright based on other blogs I have seen from you, therefore I give you a tipp, google Khazars or Mountain jews and you will learn that you are not even jewish by race, but a converted turk!!

Stop shouting anti-semit as it sure doesn´t apply to you or to the most american jews. You are turks, like it or not.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter