CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 9, 2010

Obesity is a threat to national security

Posted: 02:50 PM ET

Gen. Johnnie E. Wilson via Atlanta Journal Constitution

When first lady Michelle Obama launches her campaign to reduce child obesity today, many Americans will be cheering her on — including parents, teachers, doctors, business leaders ... and retired generals and admirals such as me. Generals and admirals?

Yes, child obesity has become so serious in this country that military leaders are viewing the epidemic as a potential threat to our national security.

Obesity, it turns out, is the No. 1 reason why applicants fail to qualify for military service, and it is posing serious health problems within the services. The issue is causing heartbreak among some military families that have always had a son or daughter in the service. Today, otherwise excellent recruit prospects, with generations of military service in their family history, are being turned away because they are just too heavy.

A recent report by Mission: Readiness, an organization made up of retired admirals and generals, found that an alarming 75 percent of all young people aged 17 to 24 are unable to join the military. Many young adults do not qualify because they failed to finish high school or have criminal records, but the No. 1 reason, our report found, is obesity.

In the past 30 years, child obesity rates have more than tripled. One in three children, 10 to 17, is overweight or obese, and 27 percent of young adults, 17 to 24, are too heavy to join the military. Every month hundreds of potential recruits fail the physical entrance exam because they are too overweight.

The latest medical evidence suggests that obesity is becoming an even greater threat to America’s youth than smoking. Medical experts are predicting that this generation is on track to have a shorter life span than their parents. None of us want this kind of future for our children. That is why many of us with extensive military experience are supporting efforts to reduce child obesity.

For national security, the logic is obvious. We need America’s service members to be in excellent physical condition because they have such an important job to do. Rigorous service standards are critical if we are to maintain the fighting readiness of our military. The physical training that military recruits undergo is meant to prepare men and women for service that requires real stamina, endurance and grit.

(READ MORE)

Gen. Johnnie E. Wilson retired from the U.S. Army in 1999 and serves on the Executive Advisory Council of Mission: Readiness.

Filed under: Uncategorized

DR GARY   February 9th, 2010 4:48 pm ET

I THINK OUR NATIONAL AND NATIONAL LEADERS ACT AS THOUGH THEY HAVE NO BRAINS AT ALL. ALL THESE LIBERAL LEADERS WANT TO MURDER MILLIONS OF UNBORN BABIES BUT THEY SAY THAT FAT KIDS ARE POSSIBLE THREAT TO OUR NATIONAL SECURITY. I DO NOT SWEAR. THE BEST I CAN SAY THEY ARE FULL OF PURE STUPIDITY AND CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED TO SPEND ANOTHER TRILLION ON THIS PROGRAM. ONLY THOSE WHO ARE STUPID BUY INTO THIS.

Donald L Allen   February 9th, 2010 4:51 pm ET

this is the way I see it and I,M not gonna give you nutting that is mind see and if it is not yours I don't haft to clam it be case it all ready mind and I,M gonna sue the US for the crime there attempting to brake and I,M seeking the charge for the one doing so to get at least 50 years at least four the crime if you get the heat well see you in Cort and you want do what you please if it not there four you to do just what every you please see what I mean Donald L Allen and I have not said I had foot in wore not I no not me you see what you see and If I did not do what I had dun then you can say what you please but I well not let you get away with what you or doing way do you think you can do what you please and get away with it you see we well see you in Cort that is the way it is dun in this country but you well not see nutting you have not already seen Donald L Allen the name is return on it all around it and you no it the Rufe

A. Smith, Oregon   February 9th, 2010 5:00 pm ET

If Michelle Obama is really concerned about Obesity in America's grade school children over health issues, why is the Administration allowing a tidal wave of HEROIN to flood America's Grade Schools, addicting hundreds of thousands of grade school children to Heroin Addiction?

Why is the Administration allowing the CIA to keep Allied and American troops and the Airforce from destroying every Opium poppy field in Afghanistan they can? How is getting FAT or obese more of a national security problem than a TIDAL WAVE OF HEROIN flooding America's Grade School?

DR GARY   February 9th, 2010 5:13 pm ET

Larry I cannot even believe that you would lower your standard to interview this woman. The topic does not make sense after the Super Bowl Abortion add. I truly believe the Bush tried to take all our military our of the US to disarm our Home Base, America. Obama is going to bring, “CHANGE.” He is doing that by disarming our American bases here in the US. We can not even patrol our own boarders. thousands of aliens (Don’t worry about UFO’s) are flooding over our boarders that are never stopped. Mom & Pops who have worked all their lives only to retire with little to nothing and can’t get the help they need and the aliens continue to flood our nations and get the moneys our Forefathers worked so hard to build. Bush tried to bankrupt our nations security and finances. Obama has been appointed by the big demons of the world to finish it off. God help us because our leaders in my opinion are trying to destroy. We should have known that anyone who can’t produce a birth certificate was not an honorable person qualified to run this nation. That’s why I say it’s big demons who are controlling the show now. I believe that Obama is setting the stage for the Antichrist to be ushered in.

DR GARY   February 9th, 2010 9:52 pm ET

I WOULD NOT WASTE MY TIME THIS EVENING TO WATCH AND LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN BABBLE.

mario colombo   February 9th, 2010 10:58 pm ET

Hi Larry

The doctor has it all wrong..it's not the food we eat that is causing obesity...our food has lees fat than 20 years ago...it's the complacency of exercise and too much focus on computer time and less time on tobagganing...come on you kids in Washington...get out on your sleds or put on a pair of skates and burn off some calories. Yours truly,
Mario, Toronto

Misty Uba   February 10th, 2010 6:58 am ET

Lets go back to the culture of family dinner.

DR GARY   February 10th, 2010 9:01 am ET

I WOULD NOT WASTE MY TIME THIS EVENING TO WATCH THIS WOMAN BABBLE.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Misty Uba said on Obesity is a threat to national security
February 9, 2010, Lets go back to the culture of family dinner.

I SAY, AMEN & AMEN. The sad part of this is that the family is so dysfunctional these days that many do not even know what, "Family Dinner" is. How sad. We truly need to go back to the basics. But there has been such a moral decline in the Family Structure it would take a miracle.

DR GARY   February 10th, 2010 9:11 am ET

The doctor has it all wrong..it’s not the food we eat that is causing obesity…our food has lees fat than 20 years ago…it’s the complacency of exercise and too much focus on computer time and less time on tobagganing…come on you kids in Washington…get out on your sleds or put on a pair of skates and burn off some calories. Yours truly, Mario, Toronto

Mario, you said it so well!

Chere   February 10th, 2010 11:01 am ET

Larry, listened keenly, last night, to Michelle Obama's interview regarding the crisis of overweight children in our current society. As a long-time youth coach, I have witnessed our weight explosion. [Years ago, I actually attended our local school's annual suggestion day and advocated that buses stop at points away from the school so the students could at least walk 1/4 mile to and from school – nothing happened.]
One guest suggested that it was the "clean-your-plate" environment that contributed to this sad state of weight. I think your esteemed guest is "out to lunch" on this one – we had to clean OUR plates, growing up, and not one of my 10 siblings was or is seriously overweight!
Our sons had to clean their plates, too, and they were never overweight – it depends on how much you heap on the plate and what kind of food is offered! This problem is multi-faceted, and I am behind Michelle in her effort to undo what has taken years to add on! Two hands clapping!

Ted   February 10th, 2010 1:28 pm ET

Dr Gary

I do not know where did you get that title, but your ignorance should guarantee you a Professur in idiocy.
I usually do not like to insult a person whom I do not know, but you deserve it. If you do not like to watch Ms. Obama, just change the channel and go and buy another title at the local junkyard!!

A. Smith, Oregon   February 10th, 2010 7:13 pm ET

First Lady Michelle Obama, more than 4,000 American citizens die EACH YEAR from having no health care, nor health insurance. Shouldn't true Homeland Security focus on the protection and saving the lives of American Citizens?

Giving Organic Carrots is a wonderful idea to our public schools, but more people are dieing each and every year in America than the total number that died in the 9/11 attack due to their lack of health care.

Supplying more machine guns to the Middle East does not in any fashion change 4,000 deaths of American citizens each year from a lack of health care and inadequate health care insurance.

DR GARY   February 10th, 2010 9:00 pm ET

First of all Baby Teddy you have a problems with spelling and Reading Comprehension. I agree with the writer who says it’s not the food. We have never lived in such a time where it is so easy to eat FAT FREE everything just about. Is it good for you? Some of it, no. But one writer stated it well. Exercise! Adding to that is, Back to where Mom or Dad does meal planning. Family sits down at an appointed time together for dinner. Many parents depend on the TV, and electronic babysitters rather than Dad shooting hoops after dinner with the kids. Family biking or walking. That is where her focus should be. But I still say her thinking is upside down because she’s for murdering. She says, That Obesity could be a threat to National Security?” She’s for murdering the thousands of unborn babies. There is where National Security is being depleted. Thousands upon thousands murdered annually.
Obama’s just want to finish what Bush started. Bankrupting our Nation. How stupid could they be to give trillions of dollars away to bail out these and keep the same CEO’s. That is pure stupidity. THEY SAY THEY CAN’T CONTROL THAT. “STUPID” Here’s one for you. In our school cafeterias, If a student doesn’t want his milk or something on his tray and another kid wants it. Staff can not give it to them they have to throw it in the TRASH because if their caught, THEY CAN HAVE THEIR FEDERAL FUNDING TAKEN AWAY. AGAIN, A DISPLAY OF STUPIDITY. POINT BEING. If they have watchdogs watching this, why not the bailouts? Could it be you scratch my back and I scratch yours? Who knows? But lets not spend another billion dollars so Mrs. Obama “FAT KID CAMPAIGN.” I HOPE YOUR NOT A SUCKER FALLING FOR THE FAT KID PLAN.” Why not someone working to strengthen the family? Why not begin promoting Big Brothers and Sisters of America once again. Revive it, change it. Help for the mother and children where the sorry butt dad (with a small (d) because he doesn’t deserve to be called Dad because he doesn’t support those he fathered. HOW SAD! Call me anything you want but I have as much right to my opinion as you. KISSES FOR Valentine’s Day and to all good night.

DR GARY   February 10th, 2010 10:56 pm ET

Another thing to think about. Why do our kids look so much older, much more body hair and their hormones going crazy? The government allows them to pump our foods full of hormones and antibiotics. It is amazing that we buy organic milk on we’ll say, February 10 and it will be good until April 9 or 10. Put the kids to work in a garden. Oh I’m sorry that would be child abuse and the ACLU would get involved. I guess that was politically incorrect.

DR GARY   February 10th, 2010 10:59 pm ET

My last comment for the night. There are only 2,000 U.S. Food Inspectors inspecting all the foods that we import from all over the world.

DR GARY   February 11th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

GOOD MORNING. I HOPE EVERYONE IS SMILING ON THIS COOL MORNING.
I GOT THIS IN AN EMAIL AND THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE IT WITH ALL MY FRIENDS WHO HATE ME. (LOL) IT WAS GOOD. I HEARD SOMETHING SIMILAR BEFORE. ONLY IT WAS AN ATTORNEY AND DOCTOR.

THE DYING MINISTER:
In Washington , D.C. An old minister lay dying in the hospital. For years he had faithfully served the people of the nation's capital and was well known among the elected officials.
He motioned for his nurse to come near.

"Yes, Reverend?" said the nurse.

"I would really like to see President Obama and Speaker Pelosi before I die", whispered the priest.

"I'll see what I can do, Reverend", replied the nurse.

The nurse sent the request to The President and Congressional leader and waited for a response.
Soon the word arrived; President Obama and Nancy Pelosi would be delighted to visit the priest.

As they went to the hospital, Obama commented to Pelosi, "I don't know why the old priest wants to see us, but it will certainly help our images and might even get me re-elected."

Pelosi agreed that it was a good thing.

When they arrived at the ministers room, the minister took Obama's hand in his RIGHT HAND and Pelosi's hand in his LEFT HAND. There was silence and a look of serenity on the old ministers face.

Finally President Obama spoke.. "Reverend, of all the people you could have chosen, why did you choose US to be with you as you near the end?"

The old minister slowly replied, "I have always tried to pattern my life after our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

"Amen", said Obama.

"Amen", said Pelosi.

The old minister continued, "Jesus died between two lying thieves; I would like to die the same."
WASN’T THAT GREAT? I love truth!

Theresa   February 11th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

@ Dr. Gary--I'm glad you got a chuckle. I have a question for you-Why do you bring abortion into many conversations. The topic was childhood obesity-it is a LARGE concern. I'm sure in return you will respond withbut look @ all the ones who didn't have a chance. That still wasn't the topic.

DR GARY   February 11th, 2010 1:59 pm ET

Theresa, as you said, “The topic was childhood obesity. We know that the concern is a large percentage of obese children as adults become diabetics. Die during childhood or adults. It depends when God calls their number. A little 5th grader (who I know) would come into class, crash about midmorning. I mean passing out where a code would have to be called. They took him to the clinic, q2h. for checks. His teacher being the wise woman she was decided to would start keeping a log as to what this kids Mother was allowing him to have for breakfast. EVERY MORNING, Sugar Pops, Coco Puffs etc. The teacher talked to Mom many times. “But that’s what he wants.” There’s a case, “Abort the Mom at her age.” LOL So most likely this kid will not live a long life to lack of discipline on Moms part. But he’s one of thousands and thousands. Your still wondering what this has to do with Abortion. I just can understand how she can support the murdering the thousands upon thousands of unborn babies and want to save children. Doesn’t make since. All the thousands of babies who are slaughtered every year is more a threat to our National Security. Fat Kids can join the service and get then after they are stopped being babied. And as I said in another post. Then every senior who reaches seventy years of age, give an Intervenes Forever Night, Night . (By the way they have been working on this in our government for a long time. My late Dad attended a conference in Newark Ohio where it was being discussed.) This will cut back on Medicare. Every mentally challenged child born give an Intervenes Forever Night, Night. Let’s really save bucks and cut back. This would save on government spending. Your thinking he is totally messed up. That’s the way I think about those who support Abortion. SAME THING just a different age group.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter