CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 22, 2010

'Hope for Haiti' airs on CNN tonight!

Posted: 05:43 PM ET

By Lisa Respers France

Programming Note: Watch "Hope for Haiti" starting at 8pmET tonight on CNN, CNN Live and on the CNN iPhone application.

(CNN) - If you're looking to watch "Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief" on Friday night, you won't have any trouble finding it.

The two-hour, star-studded telethon is set to be one of the most widely distributed prime-time televised benefits in history, appearing simultaneously on more than 25 networks - including CNN, where Anderson Cooper will report live from Haiti during the event.

The show will also be available on CNN.com/Live and the CNN iPhone application. Other networks airing "Hope for Haiti" include ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, BET, The CW, HBO, MTV, VH1 and CMT. The show will even air on the Discovery's eco-lifestyle television network, Planet Green.

MTV is presenting the benefit, which will be helmed by Oscar-winning actor George Clooney in Los Angeles, California, and musician Wyclef Jean from New York. CNN's Anderson Cooper will report live from Haiti.

Plenty of entertainers have joined the roster to raise awareness about the earthquake in Haiti that has left tens of thousands dead and many more homeless and injured.

Some of the big name performers scheduled to appear include Beyoncé, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J. Blige, Shakira, Coldplay, Alicia Keys, Dave Matthews, Justin Timberlake, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Rihanna and Taylor Swift.

Will Smith, Ben Stiller, Brad Pitt, Robert Pattinson, Muhammad Ali, Meryl Streep and former president Bill Clinton are just a smattering of names of some of the other celebs who are set to make an appearance.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Celebrity News • CNN • Haiti Earthquake

A. Smith, Oregon   January 22nd, 2010 6:26 pm ET

Congratulations Larry King, a wonderful coordination of celebrities and networks for Haitian relief awareness.

I look forward to watching this celebrity rich program here on CNN.

Congratulations to Larry King and the CNN staff for your award level Haitian coverage and compassionate funding raising efforts on behalf of the Haitian people, American's with Haitian family members and American's living in Haiti, well done!

Mrs. Mayes   January 22nd, 2010 6:57 pm ET

God bless you CNN for all the wonderful coverage you have given for the people of Haiti and looking forward to watching the relief awareness program coming up. Thanks and God bless all the stars on the show. But as you know there is always room for emprovement.
Please stop showing the young Haiti man that was lying in a pool of blood dying in the street. Everyone deserve dignity in dying and
death. How do you think the young man's mother and family feels every time they look at the News or TV they see their loved one lying dying in a pool of blood in the street? This is being shown every hour on the hour how would you feel if it were your people? We can understand what you are trying to tell us about the story without you showing the young man dying in the street. Plus, this goes for other hurtful pictures other families. Don't you realize how uncompassionate this is?

fred   January 22nd, 2010 7:55 pm ET

May God Bless You all!!!

Dodie ~ California   January 22nd, 2010 7:57 pm ET

Thank you Larry King and CNN for correlating such a grand effort among celebrities! I am looking forward to your program tonight with bated breath and a little dignified drooling!

Larry King you are extraordinaire!

Thank You!

Gerald Jolly   January 22nd, 2010 8:28 pm ET

Congratulations to LK and also all the stars for giving up of their time for a worthy cause.

Thanks Larry.

Kelly   January 22nd, 2010 8:28 pm ET

Hi- Any updates on Grandma ina and the "smiling boy" who were rescued. Both have a career in Hollywood when they get better! Our family, like so many others, send special hugs and kisses to Ina and the little rescued boy as we donate tonight.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   January 22nd, 2010 9:30 pm ET

Sure restores your faith in human beings and what can be done when you unite and come together. Very uplifting.

Many thanks to all!

MaryRM   January 22nd, 2010 9:31 pm ET

The question was asked tonight can Haiti be rebuilt? After world war 2 many cities in Europe were devastated, some like Dresden were razed. Massive amounts of funding, manpower and supplies were directed to rebuild and stabilize. All it took was the will to do it. We are able to rebuild Haiti, do we have the willpower?

Iftekhar Mahmud   January 22nd, 2010 9:34 pm ET

Larry

I am a doctor from Bangladesh, working as a research associate in hamilton NJ. I want to donate myself , I am ready to go & stand by the people of Haiti. They need doctors, some doctors are in the field. I would like to be there to help them, treat them. Count me in who ever is ready to take me there. I am ready to go.

lilarose in bandon, or   January 22nd, 2010 9:38 pm ET

Not all of us know who the stars are who are performing. Why can't they show their names on the screen at least for a moment.

Maybe they want them to be anonymous, or maybe we viewers are supposed to know who they are.

Not really

lilarose in bandon, or   January 22nd, 2010 9:40 pm ET

Now if we could just come together in the United States to help those who are dying daily from lack of health care insurance.

My donation is going to where it always goes, to provide life-saving mammograms to women in my Oregon town.

Sandy-Houston   January 22nd, 2010 9:59 pm ET

As I watch the telethon and listen to the stories, I am reminded once again of how blessed I am. Why? Why me and not others? The young man who came to America at the age of 15 asks how this could happen to his people and why he is so blessed to live in this country. My only answer to both of our questions is -To whom much is given, much is required. I pray that all who are blessed will remember this. And to those who are in need, we are here to give you blessings.

jacie   January 22nd, 2010 10:08 pm ET

This is a beautiful thing....kudos to all those involved – esp those behind the scenes – the unsung heros of putting this all together.

I am sad that Beyonce didn't have better sense to change the words to her halo song – she managed to put haiti in....but started it out about the walls crumbling down - SUPER INSENSITIVE!!!!!

i hope she gives about 30-million to make up for her supremely insensitive blunder!

Christina - Super Classy - and talented - appreciated your beautiful and sensitive song...thank you!!!

Dodie   January 22nd, 2010 10:28 pm ET

@ Iftekhar Mahmud

I would recommend you contact:

doctors without borders
USA Headquarters
333 7th Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10001-5004

Nancy Hunter   January 22nd, 2010 10:32 pm ET

Larry: I know you are so very busy with the Haiti relief but I wanted to tell you about an awesome song I heard on KUPL radio in Portland Oregon by Les Richardson. It is called Haiti Song and it has news clips of President Obama and the people of Haiti. It was so moving I felt you're team might be interested in it. You can listen to it at KUPL in the right hand column of their home page. I understand all proceeds from the song are going to Mercy Corps. in Portland, Oregon. Good luck on your fund raiser tonight and God bless.. Nancy

JamesB   January 22nd, 2010 10:45 pm ET

@Nancy Hunter,
Thanks for posting. I listened to it and it was very moving as you said.

Maria Dean   January 22nd, 2010 10:54 pm ET

This telethon is ridiculous!!! These stars need to get out of their comfort zone and put on some rags and go help and volunteer in Haiti! I have donated for Haiti, but I am not giving another dime until I see the help get to the people!! As I watch CNN every night, I still see the people suffering and the supplies sitting at the airports!! The celebrities need to go there and put some action into place!! Not sing on TV!! The real true celebrities and heros are ANDERSON & SANJAY GUPTA!! I LOVE SANJAY!!! He is the only one doing anything!

jmitchell   January 22nd, 2010 11:13 pm ET

omgoodness! Did we just hear right?

Singer Beyonce saying "remember these walls I built, well baby they're a tumbling down"!!!!

Oh goodness – This is not even bad taste – – it is Grotesque!!!!

Why is it Justin Timberlake and Jennifer Hudson can set aside selling records to really sing a heartfelt, moving song – but Beyonce and Madonna have to sings songs about walls tumbling down and sex ....

We want to buy the iTunes songs – can we do so without these two abominations?

I realize Beyonce and Jay-Z have made more money than other entertainers – because they will grotesquely sell while Hundreds of Thousands are dying and starving – – sick! – but some of us out here care about more than $$

If there is anyway to buy the songs without them, please let us know – thank you so much!

Bravo to the rest – putting aside themselves and money – thank you – thank you – thank you and GOD Bless You!!!!!

ckelly   January 22nd, 2010 11:41 pm ET

Yes, The telethon was a "wonderful" display of artistic interpretation..

I keep wondering how the artists benefit through their generation-music sells right?

There is nothing wrong with that of course, and I am sure the many, many artist's who donated their time for a beautiful show -expected nothing in return.

But let me ask this question: With all the plearding and imploring the viewers to give to Haiti, at what point does reality and the perversity of reality set in...

I saw music and hollywood "royalty" tonight-what is the sum net worth of all the stars on the show? how much do they make or how much cash DO THEY HAVE?? A million is just a drop in the bucket for the likes of Brad Pitt Nicole Kidman, Jay-zee, Bono and Sting, Rhinna, Sheryl Crow (for example)

But many North American families and people who donate are just getting by as it is-there is no jobs or houses for many. $50. is a lot when your net monthly income is $1000 and at $1000/mth that is poverty. in a cold climate-

And speaking of inappropriate-"Carl", the CNN reporter has made a couple derogatory remarks about Haitians that have not sat that well with me. earlier in the week he said that "it has been said that Haitians are 85% Catholic and 15% protestants and 100% Voodoo? What is that supposed to mean? its just disrespectful on so many levels..

Then tonight he passed judgement on a woman who told him that in her misery said she "threw her dead children away"..and walked off..

Is he not human? Does he not understand complete hopelessness, trauma, despair and shock? Why does this grieving woman owe him an explanation? What could he do about it? How dare he ask such a disturbing question to a grieving woman?

It was in very bad taste.. Carl demonstrated a lack empathy and insight.

Maria Dean   January 22nd, 2010 11:43 pm ET

Go to the website Wish Upon a Hero. There you can help American people here in the USA . People put their wishes & needs on there and you can help them directly. It doesnt go to an orginization. Find someone who needs something and help them out! Its awesome! I have fulfilled many wishes on there ,with little things like clothes for their children or $20.00 for gas for the week. It is awesome!!

joelle   January 23rd, 2010 12:00 am ET

It's a shame they had to lump wyclef's very questionable organization in with the very SOLID, reputable ones.

All one need do is good wyclef and his supposed aid organization – they can see it is only 4 years old and has a very dubious past.

He, himself, is in enormous financial trouble (forclosures, taxes, etc.) and this makes any money....even a nickel....going in his direction with an uncertain future.

does it go toward paying off his own mortgage or footing the bill for his new rolls royce? or will it really help the people of haiti.

sorry...i'm sticking the with good 'ol AMERICAN Red Cross!!! I know my money will go to the ones who need it most. In fact, it already has, and I'm likely going to give even more.

joelle   January 23rd, 2010 12:11 am ET

(sorry...i meant "google" wyclef's organization or name - you can verify his financial troubles through various court record in several states.)

Dodie   January 23rd, 2010 12:23 am ET

@ CNN

I just finished watching 'Haiti' on CCTV (Central China TV) You must have provided them some of your programming as I recognize it from programs you aired earlier this week!

Very Interesting!

luckybee   January 23rd, 2010 3:12 am ET

It was a Katholiek affair, don't forget that the Clooney's are Katholiek; actualy the enemies of the Pilgrims Fathers.He want to help theyr katholieks fellows in Haïti , even if that is in fain; they make too much children;Order from the Paus en the hunger en missery's will follow them , as soon as they fill up ,all the gape, that was lost in de earthquake.En don't forget the Ton Ton Macout's rebirth, what we have seen.

Carly   January 23rd, 2010 3:41 am ET

Hi Mr. King,

My name is Carly Button and I am 13 years old. My family and I were watching Anderson Cooper's coverage on Haiti, and we saw him interview a little boy by the name of Monley. I just returned Uganda, Africa, where I worked in an orphanage and have been talking to my parents about helping out youth without parents. My family is so fortunate to be where we are, we would be honored if you could contact us with Monley's contact information, if he has any. My parents said he would be welcome to be part of our family. Thank you Mr. Larry King for all you and CNN do to support the need in other countries.
– Carly

jkrui   January 23rd, 2010 4:50 am ET

David E, Nation Sr   January 23rd, 2010 5:02 am ET

Don't you think this is a calling for all the wrong that the human race has done. We have a tendency to take what we want and kill those that stand in our way. Now this is achance to give back what we have taken.

Mike   January 23rd, 2010 7:47 am ET

First, congratulations to all involved in helping Haiti.
I had a tear while watching this programme and listening to Anderson Cooper/CNN. Out of curiousity i just flicked on to Foxnews and Hannity was busy yelling how torture is so beneficial to American interests.
Americans be better advised that the real security threat they have is the likes of Sean Hannity, Foxnews etc who promote american might and forgetting basic humanity.
Hatred for America when nurtured this way can never be cured by a million torture episodes.

babycarie   January 23rd, 2010 10:02 am ET

I did not get to see the telethon but saw clips...we are very fortunate to live in the USA. My concern is the money being put into the right hands. Haiti's government has been corrupt for years, it's people repressed and the educational system lacking to say the least. It is my prayer that the Haitian people have a more stable and better Haiti in their future...better schools. more opportunities for the Haitain people and better lives for their children.

Ted   January 23rd, 2010 10:36 am ET

I did not have the chance to see the telethon, but I am sure CNN will air it again, at least part of it!

Everyone should do what they do the best!! Those celebrities who were on the show collected a lot more money for Haiti than a norman unknown person would do. We should thank them for it.
On the other hand most of them are very wealthy and It would have set the correct tone if they announced at the very beginning how much they donate. A million for many would be as much as $20 for a great part of the population.

luckybee   January 23rd, 2010 11:07 am ET

jkrui write :" hi i just want to say last thurstday here in holland we all raised 83 miljon dollars for haiti and the money is still comming in

Controled by Madam Farah Karimi, the woman who once has handed the list of all the enemy of the mullah, in Teheran's airport to the Ayatollah's?I will not be surprice if all the money landed in the pokets of the Hizbullah's, en not in Haïti.

Nick Gencarelle   January 23rd, 2010 11:09 am ET

Great gratitude to the absolutely amazing people who are helping in Haiti-all of them.
I have a suggestion for the first responders and hope that when more disaster strikes a more coordinated response will take place because once again we have an opportunity to learn from history.
If parachutes were employed to deliver body bags full of supplies as an immediate first response, they could be made to act as tents.
Stakes and associated poles would be in the bag with directions for constructing these tents.
From what I have seen so far many many Haitians are using their sheets as tents -not a very sturdy option especially if it rains hard.
I believe that if there are planes ready to go already stocked with thousands of body bags which are stocked with tents, cooking and medical supplies, water and food bars and those water bottles that make dirty water drinkable they can be parachuted to any locations very quickly. Bodies can be contained and identified. What is happening there now is horrible.
This is needed FIRST-all other logistics can follow.
Wrist bands can be added to the bag to help identify anyone lost and separated.
Also maybe a way to compensate cruise ships and other large vessels to drop off their passengers and take on the effort to help supply food and water in these types of emergencies.
The military would be a great way to deliver small self contained desalination units anywhere quickly.
Again, bless all who are giving and caring.

Dee   January 23rd, 2010 11:36 am ET

To Jacie: Beyonce did nothing wrong. There has been several ocasions were beyonce used her song halo for tragic events. After Michael Jackson passed away she did a tribute to him after all of her concert songs, and said "Michael I can see your halo". When she had a little cancer patient come on stage she replaced baby with the girls name. Im sure if CNN didnt want her to perform that song, she wouldn't have. She had the best performance out of everyone. Its sad that people are always trying to find negativity in people that are trying to do good. Last week her and her husband were named the richest couple in Hollywood. So don't worry Jacie, im sure she will give that little 30 million dollars you think she should give back and then some.

Dee,Memphis Tn

Stacey   January 23rd, 2010 11:38 am ET

Hope for Haiti.... May God be watching over all of them.... My prayers to the families of Haiti and those affected by the earthquake.....

still me just a new name   January 23rd, 2010 3:26 pm ET

Thank You Larry for everything you are doing for Haiti...I have an Aunt who is on her way to Haiti...She is ready to do the work needed to bring some orphaned children out of Haiti...Please keep all the volunteer in your prayers as they do the work needed to bring some Hope to Haiti.

IRD   January 23rd, 2010 4:22 pm ET

1-23-10: I would like to know whether ALL of the cruise ships have DONATED MONEY as well as supplies. these big companies should donate funds just like private individuals. they should donate some of their profits. they should be use their onboard medical facilities to help free of charge. they should make room on their ships to take people to other countries where medical help can be obtained. CRUISE SHIPS HAVE A ROLE TO PLAY. THEY SHOULD CONTRIBUTE more than a few supplies.
step up to the plate CRUISE SHIPS.

IKHAN   January 23rd, 2010 4:57 pm ET

what an effort all praise to Larry,CNN & those big heart celebrities.
See this is what we want to see more of in days to come. This gives one hope that a lot may be wrong in the world we live in but their are people who can rise above whatever is petty.
Lets do away with prejudice,bias, hatred, intolerance and hand in hand fight hunger,poverty,illiteracy, disease & injustice.
Our prayers go out to all doing the good work in Haiti regardless of race, creed or religion.

rosali8e   January 23rd, 2010 10:01 pm ET

Like most of the rest of the world, I have been watching CNN with all of the news from Haiti. Tonight news showed hundreds of men standing along a barrier around the airport. I was thinking shouldn't these men be cleaning up the rubble and garbage from the streets, helping out the people that need help, instead of standing around waiting for someone to give them supplies. I did not see any women, they were probably digging out trapped people and taking care of anyone who needed help.

IRD   January 23rd, 2010 10:14 pm ET

January 23rd, 2010 9:07 pm ET
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
1-22-10: There needs to be an overall organization (mostly retired educated volunteers – no pay) to head this massive relief effort. Minister for Food and Water, Minister for Medical Services, Minister for Shelter, Minister for Reconstruction, Minister for Communication, Minister for Finance, Minister for Law and Order, Minister for Education, etc. Let each nation head one ministry and they all cooperate together to make it work.

It's obvious the Haitian Government is not up to the task as they have done nothing for centuries with the complicity of the international community.

If such an organization is not formed NOW, either by the U.N. or some other international organization, every scam artist in the world will be there living off the continued misery of these people.

Who is making the plans or is it all just going to be haphazard and business as usual.

Please people, lets see how we can promote this to get it started. Come up with some suggestions, NOW. LETS BEGIN NOW.

mONEY WILL only last so long and is temporary. Real organization and leadership will be self-sustaining and must involve YOUNG HAITIAN LEADERS.

Mary Copeland   January 23rd, 2010 10:26 pm ET

an 83 year old Canadian here watching your show again. To-night is Haiti!!! It is all so overwhelming. Your Anderson Cooper is such a beautiful boy-he will NEVER get over what he has seen and done there. Please be sure that he gets home safely and gets some rest.
Thank you!

Mary   January 23rd, 2010 10:55 pm ET

Help for Haiti – there are over 30,000 travel trailers and mobile homes(presumably FEMA trailers) that are being auctioned on GSA Auctions. I don't think the American taxpayers would mind halting all sales of the trailers to have them delivered to Haiti. We paid for these for disasters. We have the ability to move large equipment all over the world with little notice. I think we could make this happen.

Myra   January 23rd, 2010 11:02 pm ET

Hi Larry,
I am an American citizen writing from Shanghai China. I am watching your show, this Sunday morning, January 24.
I was just watching the segment, where they were passing out water and food.
My suggestion, send troops in to organize the people, before the trucks come. Than let them stay to make sure that help is received in an orderly manner.

I am so glad that you are on the air and we can get an accurate view of what is really happening and how help is coming.

God Bless you Larry,
GOD BLESS THE WORLD!

mary davis   January 23rd, 2010 11:12 pm ET

I have never been so effected by your program until tonite. i watch you almost every night but was brought to tears when Seal sang. What a tremendous social outpour. i am speechless.We will as a Nation help Haiti. thank you larry king.

Scotty Christopher   January 24th, 2010 12:07 am ET

This country has ENOUGH situations where the money isin outflow but NONE with any inflow except for the INFLOW of IMMIGRANTS that actually hate the United States. Riddle me that.

Scotty Christopher   January 24th, 2010 12:18 am ET

Money spent in Afganistan, money spent trying to build the Middle East, to uproot their economy while here in the US we continue to see unemployment increase at a rate parralleled to the great depression of the 1930's, AMerica is in the Great Recession and also in the Great Denial of where our monies are going to. We need to STOP spending these resources on foriegn ground and concentrate on rebuilding the economy right here on the soil of the Great USA.

A. Smith, Oregon   January 24th, 2010 2:36 am ET

Pacific Domes here in Oregon are building as many Domes for the Haitian relief effort as their crew can. Oregon also has a Yurt building company that is likely going to join in the mass effort to help supply the Haitian homeless people with adequate shelters in advance of the expected May rains and July hurricane season.

Way to go Oregon!

Beth Boyd   January 24th, 2010 4:22 am ET

Hi. Culd you discuss this story to help the haitians? ould we talk about this story to help the Haitians? *Haitian workers earn only 6 cents for every pair of Disney “101 Dalmatians” outfit that Disney sells for $20. Disney pays its workers in Haiti about 28 cents an hour. A woman in Salvador working in a sweatshop makes 12 cents sewing a GAP T-shirt that sells in the US for $20. (Sources: In These Times; National Labor Committee; Jobs with Justice) Thanks.Beth

Beth Boyd   January 24th, 2010 4:26 am ET

Hi. Could we talk about this story in order to help the Haitians? *Haitian workers earn only 6 cents for every pair of Disney “101 Dalmatians” outfit that Disney sells for $20. Disney pays its workers in Haiti about 28 cents an hour. A woman in Salvador working in a sweatshop makes 12 cents sewing a GAP T-shirt that sells in the US for $20. (Sources: In These Times; National Labor Committee; Jobs with Justice) Thanks.Beth

Evelyn   January 24th, 2010 9:41 am ET

I think it is devasting to see so many injured people left in those conditions without proper medical help. I think some of the money collected could have been used to bring cruise ships into the area or perhaps the cruise lines themselves could have volunteered to take these injured people to areas where they might get proper treatment in hospitals.

Andy   January 24th, 2010 12:34 pm ET

I read whay Mary said and it makes sence. Bring the trailers to Haiti! What a great idea!

Ted   January 24th, 2010 2:23 pm ET

I have read many comment why the cruise ships do not provide space for the haitians?
I am for all help we can provide, however there is always a limit to a charity.

I have been in Portugal many times and had a favorit hotel on the Algarva. After in the 1970s Portugal gave up its colonies in Africa a huge number of people from Angola and Mosambique with portugese passes came to Portugal as refugees and were put into hotels. After a year those hotels were totally ruined, no more tourists would even think about staying in there. My favorit hotel was totally ran down.

If those ships would take on refugees from Haiti the damages and the loss of business is uncalculable and nobody in his right mind will ruin himself to help others.

Lyn   January 24th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

In the print media there are interesting facts that are not being reported via TV. i.e., Cdn rescuers were reasonably sure there were survivors in the Caribbean market where they could possibly have access to food and water – while attempting excavation to rescue, a Dominican construction group came with heavy equip and razed the bldg – no attempt to rescue was done!!!
Also, 3 blocks away from the worst destruction is a well stocked supermarket guarded by armed security where only the wealthy are allowed to shop. Meanwhile a baby 3 blocks away is starving. Gas has tripled in price since the quake. Shouldn't the Haitien gov force the supermarket and gas stations to serve the public until supplies are depleted? Then BOTH the rich and poor can rely on aid.

wiseman   January 24th, 2010 3:25 pm ET

Sure their efforts should not be unappreciated but all of them doing what love doing. I don't see single one of them, getting out from comfortts of their home, Hollwood, getting down and dirty, on ground zero. Not one single one of them.

Sue Thomas   January 24th, 2010 5:14 pm ET

I have been in this great country since August, 1971 and I am an American Citizen, born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

Disasters happens every day, however, Haiti, my homeland, has endured more than its share of perilous disasters. Annual hurricanes chipping at it’s people, along with sunami, has made this 7.1 earthquake with numerous after shocks, heartbreaking. Over 200,000 dead, CNN was one of the first to report. You have shown the strength and resiliency, as well as prayerful people banning together through their hardship. I commend you for fair and compassionate reporting. The entire world has been great humanitarians with aid, donations and their heartfelt prayers. We thank you.

It would be impossible to thank all of the companies from the Red Cross, Doctors without Boarders, Volunteers, contributors, churches, to Yele, etc. Your effective reporting

Special thanks to President Obama, Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta, George Clooney, Cleff, Presidents Clinton and George W. Bush, Larry King and many others.

If at all possible, and please it would not be boasting on your part, would it be possible to not only thank you, CNN, but to thank the world on behalf of the people of Haiti, to post a link to “JUST SAY THANKS”.

God bless You.

Soeurette Thomas and Family
Orlando, FL

Bonnie Daves   January 24th, 2010 8:10 pm ET

I want to commend those rescue workers that use common sense in their efforts. HOWEVER, that said, I want to say to the others: Just because a 'tap, tap, tap' stops, it does not necessarily mean the person has DIED! People, particularly children, often have great adrenaline flow when faced with fear, especially in fight/flight response. Being trapped leaves flight to the birds (no pun intended), so the body fights to remain alert until hope steps in. I.e.: This adrenaline rush would probably continue UNTIL there is some relief through the belief their 'heroes' have arrived and will stay vigilant until they find them. The drop of adrenaline, at that point, would be so dramatic that a person might fall into a sleep, so deep, that the faint calls from their (believed/supposed to be) rescuers could not wake them, even for hours. STILL, it would ONLY be sleep, brought on by sheer exhaustion from the endless hours/days of remaining awake; hoping, praying, at first tapping/yelling/screaming for the help YOU seemed to be going to give. Yet you walk away and they wake to find you have forsaken them.

Dodie   January 24th, 2010 8:27 pm ET

@ @ luckybee

Ni shi shuo Putonghua ma?

ni shi na li ren?

J Lee Mihelich   January 24th, 2010 10:38 pm ET

Larry, LOVE what you are doing tonight. I had already donated before, but I donated again to UNICEF. Our school is also raising money for UNICEF.

Denise   January 24th, 2010 11:20 pm ET

I thank CNN and everyone who paricipated in the "Hope for Haiti" . Thanks for love and support to the Haitian people . We love you too!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   January 25th, 2010 1:47 am ET

@wiseman January 24th, 2010 3:25 pm ET

----------------------
Bit mean.

luckybee   January 25th, 2010 6:09 am ET

Dodie write :" January 24th, 2010 8:27 pm ET

@ @ luckybee

Ni shi shuo Putonghua ma?

ni shi na li ren?

Dear Dodie I don't know what it's all about; I don't speek Chinees.Try dutch; than I can answer you.

Denise   January 25th, 2010 11:26 am ET

I am very concerned about the management of the funds for Haiti . It's obvious that for years our government has demonstrated that they cannot take charge of our finances due to corruption and a self centered environment. I will suggest a diverse and professional committee to overview the activities. What do you think?

Dodie   January 25th, 2010 1:29 pm ET

@ luckybee

lol

Sorry, I do not know Dutch only a little Chinese (Mandarin = Putonghua)

Kristin   January 25th, 2010 2:38 pm ET

I would like to nominate Larry King, George Clooney, Anderson Cooper, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Jeraldo, John Walsh, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush; and all of the doctors & nurses in Haiti aiding the victims, as CNN Heros for 2010. Their heroic and selfless efforts in covering this story, taking initiative, and being responsible for the outpouring of support and abundance that has followed their extraordinary coverage of this devastating event. We are all One. When we understand consciousness, we understand each other and the world, and our separation to it falls away....It's all for LOVE....L.O.V.E

Suzanne   January 25th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

@Carly, WOW! You are an inspiring young lady, with an inspiring message of compassion and selflessness...you and your family are AWESOME! We are all One. Everything is conscious. When we understand consciousness we understand one another and the world, and our separation to it falls away....It's all for LOVE....L.O.V.E: )

Karla   January 26th, 2010 3:12 am ET

I agree with the post by Kristin, it's going to be hard to have a CNN Heroes show for 2010 when half of the winners should be CNN staff!!!

Larry, thank you for letting your show be as crazy as it needed to be to kick start us into action on the aid to Haiti. It was still a safe show but crazy enough to not be sterile. And something people will always remember. After your show, I'm now seeing other stations having their own postings of websites for donations etc.

I bet you never thought you never thought when you snapped on your suspenders each day that one day they would save a life. I see you were down to a white pair today!

You rock Larry!!

Jose E HerNANDEZ   January 26th, 2010 2:25 pm ET

Good DAY Larry
Please pass this on to your commentors. I am so sick to listening to negative news every day. Do they find something to discuss that is worth reporting on a daily basis.
It would be nice to listen to something more positive instead of searching for more devasting news.

luckybee   January 27th, 2010 2:08 am ET

Dear Dodie :"Try to understand my English.

Dodie   January 28th, 2010 8:21 pm ET

luckybee

Your English is very good! No problem

luckybee   January 29th, 2010 12:53 am ET

Bonnie Daves   January 29th, 2010 8:20 pm ET

January 24th, I wrote (though somewhat revised here): I want to MORE than commend those rescue workers that use common sense in their efforts. HOWEVER, that said, I want to say to some others: Just because a 'tap, tap, tap' stops, it does not necessarily mean the person has DIED! People, particularly children, often have great adrenaline flow when faced with fear, especially in fight/flight response. Being trapped leaves flight to the birds (no pun intended), so the body fights to remain alert until hope steps in. I.e.: This adrenaline rush would probably continue UNTIL there is some relief through the belief their 'heroes' have arrived and will stay vigilant until they find them. The drop of adrenaline, when rescue appears imminent, would be so dramatic that a person might fall into a sleep, so deep, that the faint calls from their (believed/supposed to be) rescuers could not wake them, maybe even for hours. And if wounded, the rest-now response would be even more likely. STILL, it would ONLY be sleep, brought on by sheer exhaustion from the endless hours/days of remaining awake; hoping, praying, at first tapping/yelling/screaming for the help rescuers 'now' seemed to be going to give. Yet some team[s] walk away and the trapped wake to find they have been forsaken. AND THEIR HORROR BEGINS AGAIN.....to their end.
To this I would like to add: It doesn't take rocket science to know this response; where a person's body responds to the mental need for alertness, and the mind/body work in harmony, while laying in wait for salvation. It is a response ANY trained rescue/health worker should be familiar with. It is the response that kept so many alive until they have been pulled free, days/weeks later. I imagine, if interviewed, they slept very little; yet very deep, when they did. Thank God for putting their timing of sleep/wake in line with their rescuers. .....It almost seems like whoever called off the rescuers, that walked away from that 10 year old that responded for hours (among other such reported scenarios), just decided they were 'tired of fooling with that one' (and the same with others) 'she's too deep to RISK'. Or, maybe they decided digging in 'silent from the start' rubble, would be more likely to produce a living soul. Either way, I hope this 'walk away' mentality changes. I live on a fault line myself, and I shutter to think I may find myself/loved ones in the place of that girl. It would seem some rescuers should think: What if it were my son, daughter, mother, father, .....SELF..........taking the first rest for hours/days, because they/I believed the end to a wakeful nightmare had arrived.
To them, and those who think a month (out of a LIFETIME) is too long to search for survivors, I say: "Just go on to sleep child. It will all be over soon and a week from now you won't even be missed. We need to get on with OUR lives. We don't have TIME for you!"
To the rest I say: "Whatever power drives you, and has instilled in you sympathy for others, is one to be admired. Heroes aren't simply born they are created. From birth, to the day they first challenge death on behalf of another, nature and nurture has groomed them for their destiny. ....... Heroes don't see risk as something being taken but, rather, something given. Although they tire, they only rest enough to make pressing-on, toward their goal, possible. And heroes respond to 'signs of life', not turning away until they are face to face with the 'stop sign' of death in the victims eyes. ...May what powers be bless those wise and diligent heroes!"

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter