CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 21, 2010

Breaking News: John Edwards admits paternity of love child

Posted: 08:51 AM ET

Former Senator John Edwards has released a statement this morning admitting he is the father of his former mistress Rielle Hunter's baby, Frances Quinn Hunter:

"I am Quinn’s father. I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace.

It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. I have been providing financial support for Quinn and will continue to provide for her in the future. To all those I have disappointed and hurt, these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry."

-John R. Edwards

Filed under: John Edwards

Kelly   January 21st, 2010 9:06 am ET

How convenient that he releases an apology while the world is focused on Haiti! Lawyer....

Judie   January 21st, 2010 9:47 am ET

Duh! We knew that Liar.

Debra   January 21st, 2010 10:40 am ET

I hope for the child's sake he is telling the truth about being there for the little girl and not just financially...a father is a very important part of a girl's life...take it from someone who has an ex who has not been a good example to my daughter..and maybe since I live in Charlotte I might see him with her sometime..

Expat American   January 21st, 2010 12:04 pm ET

Edwards was wrong to deny fathering the child; unforgivable. One day, the child will be an adult and she will realize her father denied her for the sake of his political career. Even more sadly, this is likely to happen long before that.

Dodie   January 21st, 2010 1:06 pm ET

I understand this is off topic; however, it is very important Americans are aware of what is flowing down the pike!

The Supreme Court appears to be rolling back campaign spending limits! This is the first time in decades corporations will have as much freedom as they want, contributing to those elected official's campaigns which will benefit their interests only!!!

What does that mean? It means that there is less division between government and big FAT corporate America. This translates into, the American individual once again will lose!!! The GOP has a strategy that will ultimately support big business at the costs of middle class America! How much more can we take???

Debra Singh   January 21st, 2010 2:37 pm ET

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage is cheating the public. They are adding excessive fees & ruining their customers credit ratings.

A. Smith, Oregon   January 21st, 2010 2:56 pm ET

I agree with @ Dodie's assessment on the unfortunate impact this Supreme Court ruling will have on the offensive onslaught of mass media's impacts on America's vote. Traditional methods of pouring millions of dollars into last minute smear video's and mailings can now be directed out of huge corporation offices, saving the politician from pulling those funds from their campaign coffers.

Unless Democratic candidates can mount a sizable grassroots campaign where they can raise enormous amounts from millions of tiny donations, they'll have a uphill battle when it comes to defeating a Republican candidate backed by Big Pharma, Big Oil and other enormous Corporate interests.

Without question, todays Supreme Court decision will unleash unprecedented amounts of corporate "influence-seeking" money on our elections and create unprecedented opportunities for further corporate "influence-buying" corruption.

Today's decision is seen by many as the most radical and destructive campaign finance decision in Supreme Court history and one which profoundly undermines our democracy of the people and for the people.

This decision allows Wall Street to tap its vast corporate profits to further drown out the voice of the public in our democracy.

The 5-4 ruling split the high court along conservative and liberal lines. It was a defeat for the Obama administration and supporters of campaign finance laws who said that ending the limits would unleash a flood of corporate money into the political system.

The ruling will transform the political landscape and the rules on how money can be spent in this year's congressional election and the 2012 presidential contest.

"It's going to be the Wild Wild West," said Ben Ginsberg, a Republican attorney who has represented several GOP presidential campaigns. "If corporations and unions can give unlimited amounts ... it means that the public debate is significantly changed with a lot more voices and it means that the loudest voices are going to be corporations and unions."

babycarie   January 21st, 2010 3:35 pm ET

My heart aches for Elizabeth...from being diagnosed with terminal cancer to finding out her not so squeaky clean husband not only had an affair but also fathered a child by the mistress...wow! I mean we all knew the kid was his...but to actually get the results and hear the words...she must be in such pain. Never trust a politician! Kidding!!!!!!

loraottawacanada   January 21st, 2010 4:51 pm ET

IT'S ABOUT TIME! We all knew it a year ago. Creep!

His poor wife with terminal cancer and all! I'd boot him out of the house!

JamesB   January 21st, 2010 8:55 pm ET

And the moral of the story is--think you have friends? Beware. Ask Mr. Edwards about his wonderful friend, Andrew Young. Mr. Slime II.

Kat   January 21st, 2010 9:27 pm ET

Leave John alone. many others in politics are on the downlow or having affairs too. They just have not been caught yet! Leave the guy alone! At least he stayed local and did not fly to Venezuela!

LacrosseMom(the real one)   January 21st, 2010 9:30 pm ET

When Elizabeth Edwards was touring around, promoting her book and trying to sell us on the healing of her marriage, I knew it was not true.

Poor woman, fighting cancer and her husband having an affair.

Elizabeth needs to throw that fool under the bus!

JamesB   January 21st, 2010 10:11 pm ET

I'm not sure why some are connecting corporate contributions to just the GOP other than the fact that they do not like the GOP. I would suggest going to Open Secrets org and checking out top corporate contributions for President Obama in '08 and then look at McCain. Some will be surprised by the names contributing to Obama and even more surprised that some of those same companies gave less to McCain.

jack   January 22nd, 2010 1:22 am ET

@ Dodie ... We should really be going in the opposite direction. No private campaign contributions at all. An equal ,but limited, amount to all candidates that receive enough signatures to be on ballot, no matter which party, from public funds would work. Term limits followed by no posh job as a lobbyist for at least ten years following being in office. When did a corporation become defined as a person? This is privatiztion of elections. The corporations control things to a large extent now. I am afraid this could have serious consquences on our liberties (that are left) as well as social programs such as Social Security , Medicare etc. Unless some remedial legislation is passed to help counteract the decision, I do not see things getting better for most citizens.

jack   January 22nd, 2010 1:31 am ET

So John Edwards lied. If we had a cent for each lie a politician has told, we could buy a large exotic island. Did anyone here seriously believe the baby wasn't his all along? At least the child and the mother are both healthy and well provided for. If John and Elizabeth can deal with it, why should we care? He is not running for office now. We got other problems to deal with. Big ones.

TheProudAmerican777@youtube.   January 22nd, 2010 1:43 am ET

First Clinton, now Edwards.
and I thought the DNC only had Tax cheats in it.

Dodie   January 22nd, 2010 1:47 am ET

@ Jack

It really is a sad day in America. The people's voice will be drowned out by the millions of dollars pumped in by corporate America.

We might ultimately end up a government owned by Corporations.

Ruth J. Gurwitz   January 22nd, 2010 1:54 am ET

It was amusing to watch Ben Stein quoting Jesus in tonight's segment on John Edwards.

Expat American   January 22nd, 2010 11:12 am ET

YouTube Proud American – with all due respect, do you think it is only Democrats who commit adultery or cheat on their taxes?

Then again, I, for one am certain that Republicans never commit adultery, or lie about Weapons of Mass Destruction in hopes of saving $3.16 on a tank of gas for their SUVs.

Karen Dawe   January 22nd, 2010 3:13 pm ET

John Edwards timing is just ridiculous, we are seeing all the Haitian orphans, and he deciedes to admit he is the father of quinn. He does not deserve the media time, he has other children to love besides this new one no mention of them. They seem to be the orphans now if it was not for their Mom. My prayers and blessings go out to his first family. John Edwards I sincerely hope you grow up someday I do not see that happening now. KD

Kristin   January 22nd, 2010 4:55 pm ET

AMEN Winnie! We are all One. Everything is conscious. When we understand consciousness, we understand ourselves and the world, and our separation to it falls away......I believe that Jesus said it best, "what you do to the least of mine you do to me...."INDEED, IT"S ALL FOR LOVE!...L.O.V.E...: )

midstate   January 22nd, 2010 9:41 pm ET

I read in here that he denied the child for political gain, Get real he did it to save his marriage. Doesnt look like that happened either.

midstate   January 22nd, 2010 9:49 pm ET

Not trying to be heartless but I want to know why does it take a catastrophe to get people to help each other. Take Haiti or 9/11 or many other that have come along. When was the last time we have talked about the tsuami's that happened not long ago.

midstate   January 22nd, 2010 9:52 pm ET

By the way back on topic, The democrats wanted this guy for their vice presidnent not long ago.

L******   January 22nd, 2010 11:04 pm ET

@@@THIS has nothing to do with me. AMEN more

rosegarden   January 23rd, 2010 12:39 am ET

I feel the pain of his wife, Elizabeth, who has supported him during his presidential champaign, and in return, how this man betrayed her.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter