CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 21, 2010

5 Questions with Betty White

Posted: 08:09 AM ET

Betty White's both been adored and adorable in her distinguished six decade career.   Saturday, she will be honored with the Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award.  It will be simulcast on TNT and TBS at 7 pm ET.  She took some time out of her busy week to play "5 Questions."

LKL Blog: You have been in some of the most popular and most loved television shows of all time – is there a particular show, character or memory that stands out for you? Why?

White: It’s a tossup between Sue Ann and Rose – because of the wonderful writing.

LKL Blog: Your friend, Sandra Bullock, is going to be presenting you with the Screen Actors Guild’s Life Achievement Award on January 23rd. What’s the secret to being having such a long, respected comedy career?

White: Incredible good luck and loving the work.

LKL Blog: You’ve held your own – and then some – with some of the biggest comedians out there over the years. And you are known for your impeccable comedic timing. When did you realize you could make people laugh?

White: I grew up with parents who both had a great sense of humor. We loved to kid each other and we laughed a lot. I’m a very happy only child.

LKL Blog: People have come to know and adore you as the dim-witted but loveable Rose Nylund from the Golden Girls…and the man-hungry Sue Ann Nivens from the Mary Tyler Moore show, among other characters you’ve played – but who is the real Betty White? What interests you? What do you like to do in your spare time? What would people be surprised to learn about you?

White: They used to as my husband, Allen Ludden, that when I was playing Sue Ann Nivens, the Happy Homemaker who could do everything cook, sew, broadcast, etc. His answer was “They are like the same person except Betty can’t cook.” I like to think I’m more like Rose Nylund as she was such a positive thinker.  What interests me? Anything to do with nature – space, astronomy, science.  And in my spare time – well, there really isn’t any.

LKL Blog: You’re a passionate advocate for animals and have been for many years…how did you become interested in speaking out for them?

White: I am deeply involved in animal health and welfare. I’ve been with Morris Animal Foundation for 43 years. We fund humane studies into specific diseases for dogs, cats, horses and zoo and wildlife.

Bonus Question: Larry King is about to celebrate his 25th year on CNN and I’m sure he’d appreciate your advice – any thoughts for him on how to have a long and successful television career?

White: Congratulations to Larry on his 25th year on CNN! Advice? I would like him to advise me!

Filed under: 5 Questions • LKL Web Exclusive

vic ramirez gonzales   January 21st, 2010 2:21 pm ET

Have you every tried like marijuana?

steven scarbro   January 21st, 2010 4:59 pm ET

Mr. King" I see how you are thanking the american people for there donation and how cnn believes how important this broadcast from haiti is. Of course this helps with ratings on a 24 7 basis broadcast. making cnn a lot of money. my question is how much money is cnn donating?

TheProudAmerican777@youtube   January 22nd, 2010 1:48 am ET

God bless Betty White.

Lorraine Reedman   January 23rd, 2010 10:27 pm ET

To all who gave to Haitian relief, globally, we have proved there are many more good guys than bad guys in this world.

Danielle   January 25th, 2010 5:06 pm ET

Love Betty White. God Bless her. She is funny. And sooo cute!!

JOANNE S. SIMON   January 27th, 2010 3:47 am ET

Betty White you have made so many lives better with your wonderful sense of humor and Larry, you have contributed so much with your unique way of interviewing....thanks to both of you !!

Laura   January 28th, 2010 9:50 pm ET

Betty White...you are adorable. God Bless you Always.

Catherine   February 1st, 2010 11:02 pm ET

i hope dr.conrad Murrary gets what he deserves

Jorge   February 4th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

Larry, as an immigrant that mustly like other type of show due to the culture. I am very mush like your show for one and only one reason; how you treat people with respect and let them be them self always on your show......I like character that you have created for life time "THE EXPENDERS" I can fell you honesty about any topic always!!

Jorge   February 4th, 2010 1:18 pm ET

Betty you will always remember for your roll in the Golden Girls...always! Even that my English was poor I did understood your show....Thank you!!

Michael Dugger   February 5th, 2010 9:24 pm ET

I love Betty White for many reasons and have a great respect for her talent, but it is her work ethic that I admire the most.Betty proves that God loves the working man and woman...Betty is still going strong at 88...God continue to bless you,Betty!

Cynthia   February 9th, 2010 9:10 pm ET

Betty White is "America's Grandma!" There's a Facebook petition ("Betty White to host SNL- please?") with over 110,000 participants who would love Betty to host Saturday Night Live! With a 60 year career, and as an icon of comedy, Betty NOT hosting SNL would be like.. well, Larry King without a microphone and suspenders! Let's honor "America's Grandma" by supporting the petition!

Donor Macneice   February 12th, 2010 6:31 am ET

When are you going to have Betty White on your show for a full hour? Why waste time with plastic people like the Olsteens when there are REAL people of quality and class like the great Betty White who have done so much for other people without thinking about promoting themselves.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter