CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 18, 2010

Rescues offer hope amid Haiti's heartbreak

Posted: 09:54 AM ET

**TUNE IN TONIGHT AT 8 p.m. ET – A SPECIAL 2-HOUR "LARRY KING LIVE – HAITI: HOW YOU CAN HELP"

The dead lie in piles on street corners, covered by flimsy pieces of cardboard boxes. The living crowd tent cities, as many as 20,000 awaiting food, water and medicine.

Amid the heartbreak that permeates the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince rescue crews continued to offer glimmers of hope as they combed through mounds of concrete and pulled more people out alive.

Rescue crews plan to look for more survivors in the rubble Monday, while aid agencies step up their efforts to tend to those above ground.

By Sunday, more than 60 people had been rescued, including five who were freed from the rubble of a grocery store after a 24-hour effort to reach them.

(read more)

Filed under: Haiti Earthquake • International

Tini Campbell   January 18th, 2010 10:29 am ET

Okay...it's time to really complain. How do these greedy self serving credit cards companies (big banks) have the nerve to charge 3% of peoples donations to Haiti? Isn't it time that they donated that 3% to the people of Haiti? Once again they are making money off the tragedy of others. This is another outrage of the big banks...it just goes on and on. Someone do something!

Harshad Pancholi   January 18th, 2010 10:30 am ET

I have heartfelt sypathy for the Haitan people's plight under the present circustances and there is tear in my eye every moment I watch this tragedy, however I can not understand the mentality of of some part of the the community to consider it a god given right for this aid and profit from it. I see rioting and looting and threats to the relief workers and to the meek and weak of the society. One can easilly dismiss this behaviour as a people will do anything under duress. However from little I have seen on google that this is a rooted behaviour from the past. It goes without saying that, there needs to be a high degree of humility and gratefulness and sense of sharing among all the people recieving the relief.

I reflect on the past earthquakes that happened in China,India and Pakistan and the general pattern of behaviour has been to share and support the fellow victims. In Haiti, despite this calamity, the minorirty gangs have shadowed the beutiful culture of Haiti and you may want to use your broadcast to focus on this sensitive subject.

Ted   January 18th, 2010 10:42 am ET

I was very proud when President Obama declared an instant and large help program for Haiti! This is the USA that goes out to help its neighbors!
Meanwhile five full days are gone and one must ask, where are the so badly needed doctors and the medicin? Where is the water and food for the people?

Guantanamo is a large US naval base in Cuba, an hours flight from Haiti! Florida has several air bases, only 2-3 hours flight! Why did we not airlift immediately a few hundred MPs for the security and right behind them planes with food, water, doctors and medicine.
Military medics could have done the major part of handling the injuries, leaving the really bad ones for the doctors. Those planes can be fueled so they can fly back and forth in case there is no kerosine in Haiti. Who is in charge, do we have again the same type of brainless individuals who were so good in New Orleans!??
Political appointees without any skill or brain.

Since days supplies are piled up at the airport, but nobody distributes it to the population. Our MPs congregate at the airport where really not much is there for them to do.
I watched several european TVs and they all have the common question, what are the americans doing at the airport??
Meanwhile hundred, if not thousands of haitians are dying of blood posioning who could have been easily saved if we got enough medical people and medicine there in 24 hrs.

We can transfer Army divisions half way around the world to start a war, but we cannot help civilians suffering next to us.
Do not give a hungry child a check for a million dollars, give him a piece of bread!! We are unable to provide a simple logistical service.
All those pledged millions have very little value for someone who did not have water of food for days!!

I am proud of those rescue teams, american and others, who risk their lives to pull someone out of the rubble. Where is our military, are they all in Iraq and Afghanistan chasing wild goose?

Don'Angelica Silva   January 18th, 2010 11:13 am ET

I Saw Him in Them

The earth unleashed her fury when she fractured from her core,
Released enough bound energy to shake her dusty floor.
As she calmed all steadied then paused to look around,
What was left perplexed the world, crushing devastation unbound.
The schoolhouse had fallen and trapped the son beneath,
Mother yearned to rescue but cement had trapped her feet.
Baby cried out in anguish as his momma lay there still,
Daddy worked in the hotel, now twelve feet of concrete hill.
Party for her twelfth birthday, family…friends oh what a thrill,
Now all piled in massive graves, a strange and bitter pill.
We looked up to the heavens; cried out to God in vain,
Where are you in all of this? Our faith did quickly wane.
Your eye is on the sparrow, that’s what you said in grace,
Now the meek suffer unjustly but you’ve turned your mighty face.
Hopelessness consumed us and I accept He won’t be found,
Then took notice of a stranger claw his brother from the ground.
I began to lift my head, though my purpose I did lose,
And witnessed the old man give the barefoot boy his shoes.
The land of the free ushered her brave to this foreign land,
a makeshift white doctor held tight the small brown orphaned hand.
I slowly stopped my weeping and I took notice of what was there,
He wasn’t in the heavens but He showed up everywhere.
He called up all his friends to raise money for relief,
He gathered all the nations forgetting His current grief.
He answered each and every phone ring as she waited for the call,
He signed up to adopt the orphan found beneath the crumbled wall.
He piloted the helicopter above the crowded sky,
He held the mother closely as she bellowed, ‘My God Why’.
He rushed with food and water, all He possessed to His name,
He clawed tirelessly through the rubble never placing blame.
He couldn’t lay down His microphone to take a moments rest,
Eager to tell the story despite the smell of rotting flesh.
Just then I thought I felt Him and fell down on my knees to pray,
I rose up inspired and gave ten dollars to the charity set up today.
So if you’re feeling lonely; in him you just can’t trust,
Get up get busy helping cause God works best through us.
As for my broken brother he’ll be hurting a long, long time,
God wants to use my arm to hold him up, and by me that’s just fine.

–Don’Angelica Silva

Ted   January 18th, 2010 11:29 am ET

We could learn from the cubans how to help your neighbors;
They send doctors, set up free clinics to treat the poor making sure the help ends up where it is intended to help.

We give millions with the catch it must be used to buy american made produce and products. 80% of that money ends up in the pockets of our puppets who rule the country, the rest buys american rice and other products. The really needy has nothing from it.
We either change this system immediately or Haiti will be in the same shape in a hundred years.

Erlouse Paraison   January 18th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Dear Larry:
I really appreciate the good work CNN been doing so far, but we have some small town (Guerin, Mathew and others) before you get to downtown Leogane where poeple are waiting for (medical help, water and food). I would like you to pass this message to the reporters in Haiti to see how they can help. PLEASE HELP

Dodie   January 18th, 2010 12:44 pm ET

@ Ted

As usual, you are true to form. Beautifully heart-felt and well thought out blog.

Yes, one would wonder why we did not use the medical supplies, food and water at Gitmo for the Haitians who are pleading for their lives. I am sure they had helicopters readily available for transport! It would have been nice to see this in the first day or two after the devastating earthquake.

Remember, in Katrina the same was experienced. Many died unnecessarily due to our own ineptness. Maybe this is a wake up call for the world. We all are so efficient in mobilizing our military, wouldn’t it be nice if the same were true for a catastrophe.

Cocovelvet   January 18th, 2010 12:54 pm ET

Geezzzz !!!!........ just can't believe what has happened to Haiti and even more what continues happening there since the recent earthquack. The increased insecurities prompted by the large number of bandits roaming the streets and terrorising the survivors there is just more than pathetic.

International help is being sort and flown into Haiti to help the Haitian people, and instead of the own Haitians showing appreciation and understanding by making the work of those rescues easier or possible, they tend to make it more difficult.... could those gangsters out there in the streets be abruptly stopped ??!!! Not an easy task ofcourse......... just yesterday it was reported about 600 high security prisoners managed to escape in the whole mist of the quack disaster and they are by now mainly the ones driving the streets into absolute chaos with their brutality and theft.

Ted   January 18th, 2010 1:52 pm ET

CNN reported that the israelis have a field hospital working with medical equipment, operating table, etc.
These people came over from a half of world away and set up operation and helping the injured!!
We are only a couple of hours away, where are our field hospitals, the medics, the jeeps and the MPs to guarantee an order.

Cocovelvet

If you did not have anything to eat or drink for five days you would be just as impatient than those poor people are.
If we are not in a very big hurry and finally do what our president promised FIVE DAYS AGO!!!, then watch out for the chaos erupting in Haiti.

There was a very nasty supposition on an european blog. We are not doing anything to help the injured, because we want them to die!!!
So many invalids without legs or arms would realy burden the budget of that country.
Nasty thought, but not without a merit. Why arn´t we doing anything???

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 2:15 pm ET

The US Military at the Port au Prince airport refused a transport with another portable field hospital from landing, forcing them to land and disembark in the Dominican Republic. The doctors without borders and their portable field hospital will need to be somehow loaded on multiple convoy trucks which they'll have to find and then travel overland for 200 miles into Port au Prince before being able to attempt setting up their field hospital.

Sound like the commanders at the airport practiced utter neglect in their dutys and understandingly outraged the folks connected with that flight. It could take a week or longer before their field hospital is up and running now, go figure!

Dodie   January 18th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

The the Israelis survival has always been based on organized quick response. If they were not able to be efficient at that task, they would not be around now! This is, indeed, something we need to learn from the Israelis. Maybe they would be kind enough to teach us someday!

Judy Schmidlapp   January 18th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

Hi Larry.
If you could please reference a non-prof in Charleston, SC.
Water Missions International. They are in Haiti with some of
their water units. Each unit supplies 10,000 gallons of water a day
and sometimes more. Runs on solar. They have been able to
get 10 of these units in this week but need more donations desperately so that they can get at least 100 of them down there.
Building as fast as they can but need donations. They have had
a presence in Haiti for several years and also a number of countries
in Africa. They also helped out in New Orleans.
They are an incredible organization with huge hearts and well
organized. FedEX has been very kind to them with transportation.

Thanks so much. Their website: is http://www.watermissions.org
My phone is 843-991-5886

Alexa da Silva   January 18th, 2010 8:08 pm ET

I Would like to know how i can get someone out of there.....There is someone that called me and i don't know how to help.

"God grant me the Serenity
To accept things i cannot change;
Courage to change the things i can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

I pray for you Haiti....

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 8:39 pm ET

Anyone else notice how much President Obama's hair has greyed in just his first year in the Presidential Office? He's going to look like Anderson Cooper in 4 years! Lol, just kidding Anderson.

Kathy Walden   January 18th, 2010 10:29 pm ET

Hi Larry ,
First "THANK YOU " for all you and CNN are doing to help. Donated last week to Clinton Found. Tonight donations to Unicef,,Clinton/Bush Found and Oxfam.All donations combined under 200.00 I wish I could do more. Last year my husband Jim passed away with a Glioblastoma Brain Tumor.This Sunday he will be gone a year. Today at 57 I landed a job, I am so blessed . I make these donations in his Honor and Memory , openly given for the untold suffering I see in Haiti. God bless them..Larry, AC, Dr,S...and many more I am proud of all the people from where ever they come from or place in life for giving in many ways. My heart is full.I appreciate this show tonight to see hope for these people.Wish I could do more

jim orielly   January 18th, 2010 11:47 pm ET

Larry great job !!
Yet a hospital ship two weeks after the quake? To save who?? I f Anderson C. reached the heart of the sean within hours so could have three plane loads of help left the US within hours.
This can happen anywhere in the U.S. or the Americas.
J. Orielly

Lynn   January 19th, 2010 11:11 am ET

My greatest Sympathy goes out to the people in Haiti. However, it is very said to know so many are using this tradegy as a way to make money. In order to prevent our tax payers money to go into the wrong hands, we need to work together to come up with a better more strudy plan to help the Haitians. I do believe all these individuals without work here in the United States can be very beneficial to Haiti and at the same time help build back this economy. The the President is donating $100 million, and do believe some of that donations should be directed to our American companies such as our construction companies and our food and all other production companies. The demand of food and water and homes are in great demand and we need to have supplies on hand. by providing these companies with the money and arrange an agreement to help build Haiti by providing with the necessary supplies needed to survive this disaster, we need to give these Americans jobs to help rapidly produce all the necessities to go to Haiti. Our contractors can go to aide in rapidly building homes and hospitals, etc.

Dolores Ruckert   January 19th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Thank you to all who donated their time for Impact..I am sure people
dug deeper due to the coverage.
I hope we can do more for the infants and take care of the paperwork
later as well as the young girls who are at risk for rape and pregnancy.
Keep the good fight. This may be one of the most important things you do in a lifetime, regardless of your imput. Everyting and everyone needs to help, even for SELFISH reasons.
As soon as my donation was accepted I felt a small modicum of joy,,
even that I could reach my hand out and touch someone instead of
just watching the coverage. I feel like I can taste the salt of their tears.

Encourage others to remember. Don't forsake them. We have learned so much about our humanity in the past two hundred years or so.

Being a part of each others joys and sorrows is the essence of our
life. It is the breathe we breathe. It is the meaning of who we are as persons and human beings, and it makes us feel human and not alone.

Hannah Reese   January 19th, 2010 2:05 pm ET

Can someone tell us why Israel half way across the world was able within two days to get to Haiti and set up a complete flied hospital that is functioning with 500 beds.

How did they get in so quickly?
Why when America is so close and sending millions of dollors, supplies and volunteers could do this?

What ever was/is hindering the U.S. it needs to be addressed .

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter