CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 18, 2010

Alyssa Milano: Tweet challenge on raising money for Haiti relief

Posted: 10:26 AM ET

Note: Alyssa Milano will be among our guests TONIGHT on our LKL Haiti relief special – tune in tonight at 8pmet for our 2-hour show!!

By Alyssa Milano via the HuffingtonPost.com:

We've all been impacted by the devastation in Haiti. We've seen the pictures and watched the videos with horror and dismay. To watch that kind of human suffering on television is one thing, but to truly grasp that kind of pain is something else entirely. It is unfathomable. Even the most active imagination can't totally comprehend the big picture.

As a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, I've seen UNICEF's lifesaving work first-hand. I traveled to Angola in 2004, only two years after the peace treaty was signed ending a 27-year civil war. In 2005, I went to India for the 6-month anniversary of the tsunami. Sure, I had seen pictures from both places prior to my trips. I watched videos and tried to prepare myself. But what I couldn't get from a photo or video, were the smells of sewage and illness, the unbearable heat in a temporary shelter, the feeling of dirt covering my body. These are the things that will stay will me for the rest of my life.

To fully understand the effect of this earthquake, it's important to know some background on Haiti. Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and has been plagued by political conflict for most of its history. Since 2004, the country has suffered profound violence and lawlessness. The chaos has hampered basic services and prevented humanitarian assistance from reaching vulnerable children and families.

(Read More via Huffingtonpost.com)

**For a full list of Organizations responding to the crisis in Haiti, please visit Impact Your World at www.cnn.com/impact

Filed under: Haiti Earthquake • International • Larry King Live

medic   January 18th, 2010 11:03 am ET

Hey larry! you guys are doing a great job , but one problem we have is the medical hospital in ny are doing enough to help there is medical staff who want to help, but dont have the support especialy nyc paramedics. They should be in the shame list . keep up the good work!.

Piersaint Nesly   January 18th, 2010 11:12 am ET

I have some families members located ( Salle Du Royaume RUE Veronique in wayne Carre-four ,Port-au -Prince. They did not eat anything for days.

no water , no food.

please help

RAE   January 18th, 2010 12:53 pm ET

I feel horrible for the Haitian people and have been watching your show daily since the earthquake struck. The devastation is beyond words. I know that money has been pouring in but how do I know that the money is actually going to help the people of this mass destruction? The track record of Haiti and money isn't a good one and we all know that. I don't feel comfortable giving money for that reason and will absolutely help in another way. I believe I read somewhere that some former Haitian president or government person was trying to re-enter Haiti since he was ousted 5 or 6 years ago. Why? Because of the tons of money that Haiti is receiving?? Until I am comfortable knowing where my money is actually going and that it WILL be helping those desperate people, I will not send a dime.
How can anyone who has sent money be sure?? Can this question even be answered?? Thanks 🙂 God Bless Haiti

Dodie   January 18th, 2010 1:01 pm ET

@ Piersaint Nesly

I would recommend you make phone calls to these agencies and advise them of this situation. It is important that you and others let these agencies know, the whereabouts of your family and any line of communication you can provide. My heart goes out to you and your family!

To find information about friends and family in Haiti: The U.S. State Department set up a toll-free number to call for information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747

(800) REDCROSS

(800) 4UNICEF

Luis B Rosario   January 18th, 2010 1:33 pm ET

@L:arry King
A sad story of police repression.(Sometimes police brutality is
necessary evil).

Sometimes police are ruthless and cruel but sometimes they
are left with no other choice when they are called to enforce
the law at place where lawlessness and violence is
continuously present like in parts of Haiti during this times
of grief and tribulation. A large crowd was apparently ransacking
a building foraging for food and other supplies. Police responded
and fired their weapons. There are reports that people were killed
but I don't know if they wre killed by gunfire from the police.
The most important to remember is that the U.N. had refused
to take police action and violent thugs were rumming everywhere
sometimes impeding rescue missions and the delivery of food
to be distributed in the best possible orderly manner without
putting aid workers in harms way. CNN and St Petersburg Times
show a scene where a large crowd gathered and attempted to
rush and U.S.A helicopter that was attempting to land to distribute
water and food. The helicopter left the scene in a hurry but there
were two hundred young thugs that threw stones at the crowd
and in the direction of the helicopter. They could have down the
helicopter. Scenes like this cannot be condoned or tolerated to
prevent anarchy. The police is authorized to use necessary force
to combat force equal or better than what threatening them and
responsible citizens. I understand that some people are so
desperate that take extraordinary chances to survive but if they
survived the earthquake was for a reason that God gave them
a second chance. They cannot try to kill, rob or ransack . Most of
these thurgs just care about the themselves. They will not share
food and supplies stolen from storage places. They may try to
market it for a profit. There was a scene where a man snatched
a purse with a large amount of money from rescue team
that attempting to return it to the family of a dead woman.
There has to be some degree of restraint and normalcy. I know
that some people have gone without food for days but if everybody
was left to roam around, enter premises ransack and beat people
up to take away their belongings or to prevent them from having
access from water, food and shelter, then police can use necessary
force as needed to keep the peace.
Luis

dave Oliver   January 18th, 2010 1:50 pm ET

Unfortunately we are better at suppling munitions than food or water.Use some of the military techinques for suppling itself (ie parachutes etc) to get the supplies off the tarmac.

It seems all these lessons have to be relearned after every diaster all over again evry couple of months you would think by now this kind of response should be down pat.

Although a couple of dozen rescues from the rubble make for good tv,the focus should be on the 100,000 's that are going o starve on the streets,Use your communications equipment to get supplies to the greatest #'s.

Deepak   January 18th, 2010 1:51 pm ET

How come Israel is able to have a top notch hospital up and running but the u.s still can't do it ? Instead of spending some much time asking for donations ,the people in charge should focus on getting their jobs done. There is someone in charge isn't there???

Dodie   January 18th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

@ Luis B Rosario

Thank you for the informative, well-written blog.

In times of desperation, when people are pushed to their limit, violence and tragic death often occurs. And to complicate matters, all the prisoners were able to escape due to the earthquake. I agree with you this is becoming dangerous for the people of Haiti as well as all the rescue workers.

The other night, the UN doctors pulled out of a make-shift hospital and Dr. Sanjay Gubta was kind enough to stay the evening with the injured and dying at risk to his own safety! Thank you Dr. Sanjay Gubta!!!

Dodie   January 18th, 2010 2:01 pm ET

I apologize Dr. Sanjay Gupta for the typo in your name

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 2:01 pm ET

Its not a matter of money, its a matter of utter corruption. Bush-Cheney and the REPUBLICAN lawmakers supposedly gave $208 Million taxpayer dollars to the Haitian people in 2007 for economic aid. Where did that money go? Bush-Cheney = Mass Fraud upon the Haitian People.

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 2:06 pm ET

@ Deepak, thru a crass and gross neglect in understanding the conditions on the ground, the US Military forced a transport carrying multiple new Doctors without borders and their entire portable hospital to land in Dominican Republic where they'll be forced to find trucks to carry that portable hospital over 200 miles overland before they can attempt to set-up that portable hospital.

The Military Commanders at the Port au Prince airport should be pulled out of that assignment for that utter lapse in judgment.

Clare   January 18th, 2010 2:23 pm ET

Were you able to get any help to the father of the young girl who was stuck on the 3rd floor of the hotel. He kept begging you to help him find his daughter. I don't know why but from the very first time I heard that Dad my heart has wished that a miricle be granted to him. Bless you for all you are doing.

Ted   January 18th, 2010 2:24 pm ET

@ Deepak

Yes, your question is correct! Is there anybody who is in charge of this mess or do we replay Katharina again?
This question is voiced by CNN and a lot of international TVs.

J. Malik   January 18th, 2010 4:18 pm ET

Thanks to CNN for their full coverage in Haiti. I fear we learned nothing from Katrina – we still have no hospital set up. Iceland – yes. Isreal – yes. China – yes. US – Soon I don't know whether to be embarrassed or angry. We are only 100 miles away and weren't as ready as those thousands of miles away.

By the time we get there, I hope there are people to save. What is our problem and who can we contact?

Ezra Laroc   January 18th, 2010 4:22 pm ET

Hey Guys, love the un-biased, un-angled work you do at CNN covering his disaster.

QUESTION:

Does reliief for Haiti only come through financial contributions? Instead of throwing money at our problems (as American politics direct), wouldn't it make more sense to invest in human resources and effort? I took offense when former Pres. Bush insisted that instead of sending supplies and water, just send your cash. A $10 donation will never help more than a 10-minute face-to-face intervention.

George Hoffman   January 18th, 2010 4:51 pm ET

Larry , I'm a real fox news person who was not too happy about cnn bias towards the presidential election. Well I feel a need to comment on your stations coverage of the Haiti earthquake. Your reporters have gone well beyond the call of duty trying to help the people in Haiti . CNN has done an outstanding job and I'm sure will win a few awards for the heroism of their employees. Keep up the good work ! God bless the people of Haiti.

Bev   January 18th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

CNN and Larry King are doing great coverage for the Haitian Earthquake. Larry why is there food and water there and not getting to the people?Transportation and Logistics is lacking. Why not hire the man that was interviewed on CNN that had a trucking company that used to deliver goods from the Pier. Hopefully he has some trucks that escaped the damage. Didn't he say he had 50 staff? They could send their drivers with some troops or he could rent the trucks to them.
They could also hire other transportation companies from other cities or the Domincan to come in to transport it and have people set up to distribute it? Why not use the networks that were in place that have experience.The longer it takes, the more desperate they will become and it will be harder to distribute. It is just so sad.
I work in transportation and wish I was there to help.

KURT IN CANADA   January 18th, 2010 5:06 pm ET

As always great coverage by all at CNN ,,you guys bring it to the world like no other!

As a question , I was wondering if the surplus Sea Shipping Containers that most countries have could be used as temporary shelters for the many Hatians who are homeless?

They are easy to move , sturdy , securable , stackable and easily converted to a shelter for individuals or families.

Deepak ,IL   January 18th, 2010 5:32 pm ET

@Ted
You are right, if they couldn't get it right at home during Katrina,it is no surprise that a week on ,they are still fumbling around in Haiti. I think the CNN team and other international TV networks have done an outstanding job helping people there ,even though that is not their job.
I commend the Israeli's for their efficiency ,but then i didn't expect any less from them.Maybe we should send our people to Israel to learn a few things about doing things right and FAST !!
We need to stop talking the talk and walk the walk !

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 5:34 pm ET

@ George Hoffman, it is sad to see the Fox Media network hijacked to the category of formerly entertainment and now to the extremes of a cartoon network. Previously the likes of Hannity, O'Reily and Beck spewed out their toxic biased sludge, now they are resorting to shoveling crass fiction and blatent attempts to spin actual events into some perverted forms of their self-indulged vision of the Republican Neo-Con party.

If the Neo-Con's at the fox cartoon network succeed with repeatedly showing Hitler and Nazi war films interlaced with President Obama in pushing a fox cartoon viewer into harming President Obama, there is going to be a huge blow-back on the fox cartoon network.

Deepak ,IL   January 18th, 2010 5:36 pm ET

@Kurt
That is a good idea kurt ,but i have a feeling in the heat over there ,those containers would be like ovens and not habitable.In temperate climates they would work well.

Tino Solis   January 18th, 2010 6:09 pm ET

I just finished watching Mexican TV Azteca news and to my surprise they reported that the Mexican rescue team were released by the United Nations stating that the rescue efforts in Haiti were finished.

Can anyone look into this..... I can't believe this !!!! We must not allow this to happen due to the fact that we must still seek and rescue this people.

Yvanne J.   January 18th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

Haiti, we Will never Forget!!! As we are celebrating Martin Luther
King day, his dream is not only being realized In America but,the
world as a whole; especially In Haiti by the grace of The Lord his dream became a vibrant reality today for that beautiful island. It took a dream,
dedication and the hundreds of lives to realize that life is not about
black or white;but the compassion and good of ones heart. God is a
provider and he provided a dream to Dr. King to be fulfilled May his
soul continue to rest In peace as his dream lives on forever, God
bless all those affected by this crisis weather direct or indirect
from the youngest to the oldest.

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 8:10 pm ET

@ Kurt, if they were spray painted white to reflect the sunlight and equipped with a small solar panel for a couple inside LED's and a heat exhaust fan on the ceiling, that would make a small, quick and durable temporary dwelling.

I've seen these units coupled to another unit end to end or side to side for some really nifty temporary shelters. If the extra unit or main unit is partially buried that also greatly lowers the heat buildup.

Luis B Rosario   January 18th, 2010 8:20 pm ET

@Ted and Deepak
I don't know if you have the info. right, or I do. When Obama sent help
to Haiti, the U.N. had a 7,000 Brazilian contingent thereat. Brazil was
not too happy to see a U.S. 5,000 miltary assigned to Haiti. Even CNN
complained on Thursday that the U.N. had not been deployed and that
rescue volunteers were in danger because the U.N. was not protecting
them. The U.N. was there since the beginning(there were a total of
9,000 U.N. personnel when the earthquake happened-it is true that
more than 100 are still unaccounted for but what happened to the rest).
When you talk about negligence or lack of response let's be fair and
split the pie accordingly. American rescue workers are not in America
now. I believe that the analogy about Katrina is incorrect. It appears
that some people are trying to foment anti-American sentiment in Haiti
and throught the world with negative propangda. Barack Obama has
been highly praised about this mission, not only by America but
throuought the world.
.This is a time for unity, not for creating intrigue, gossip and turnmoil.
. This should not be a forum for political gain, or a platform to vent
your anger, your personal conflict and other differences and personal
agenda. This is my opinion.

Erin Van Leeuwen   January 18th, 2010 9:23 pm ET

I do need more of an understanding of the desperation that the Haitians are going through. I am aware of the vast resources of the world, but I am not understanding the logistics of 'why it's not there'. One would assume that material would be worth more to the masses instead of money.

Rosanne   January 18th, 2010 9:28 pm ET

Dr. Sanjay Gupta is a hero!!!!!!!!

Miranda   January 18th, 2010 9:30 pm ET

Hi, I just wanted to say the whole CNN team is doing an amazing job down in haiti!! I have a two year old and a 6 month old and we have been watching night and day, I hold them so tight and we pray and we won't stop. Our thoughts go out to all of you!!

Alex   January 18th, 2010 9:36 pm ET

You guys are doing a very good job please keep it up for the good cause of Haiti.

Nathalie Rey   January 18th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

I worked in Haiti for 3 years and ask that the world looks at Haiti in a new way – positive. These are amazing hard-working people who want to be successful farmers, work in factories, be entrepreneurs – basically be independent. They have never wanted charity forever – but that's often how "development" was delivered.

The US, France, the rest of Europe and Haiti's neighbors in Latin America must help Haiti become a developed self-sufficient nation and not at ridiculous interest rates. It can't be about creating dependency – that's in great part how we got here.

We need to bring the country into modern times – legal reform, financial reform, etc., but we also need aid that is fair. Restore agriculture, not just assembly industry. Support universal education and technology. And yes, Haitians must be accountable to their populations.

With respect to immediate relief – it appears very uncoordinated. Carrefour was completed neglected. Leogane was destroyed, but has anyone made it there? I am worried and sincerely hope the UN and US can coordinate.

J.D.Bryan   January 18th, 2010 9:48 pm ET

Hi Larry Great work. I would just like to ask if Tia Leone was the reporter in the movie Deep Impact She was wonderful.

Karen Genao   January 18th, 2010 9:59 pm ET

It's hard not to cry watching the video Please America let's get together tonigh and keep donations coming.......

M. D. Destine   January 18th, 2010 10:02 pm ET

on the behalf of all haitians i thank you for doing this

Wendy   January 18th, 2010 10:07 pm ET

Larry you and Anderson and Sanjay are doing so much awesome work in Haiti... But I can NOT UNDERSTAND that the ORPHANAGES DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH FORMULA FOR THE BABIES. PLEASE LARRY help the Orphanages to get supplies fast so the children do not suffer anymore. Why can't these children come to USA and go to thier adopted families so they can't suffer anymore. It makes me so sad and cry constantly. Haiti breaks my heart......

Darlene Edison   January 18th, 2010 10:11 pm ET

A SPECIAL THANKS to Larry King and all the stars coming together and helping out ! I can only give $10.00 but I know it all adds up.I need help myself but not like them poor people.I pray everybody comes together and HELPS and if they can't give then PRAY!!!!
GOD BLESS EVERYONE
Darlene Edison

Sandy Nussbaum   January 18th, 2010 10:12 pm ET

The way I understand from watching CNN during the 6 day ordeal, medical equipment, surgical supplies, and medicine are the most essential need now. Are there any charities/funds that are dedicated primarily to this need? Interested in donation

Marie   January 18th, 2010 10:12 pm ET

I have given all the money that I can I would love to go their and help the children can someone get in contact with me I can give up a whole year of my life for this and more. Please don't cry all of us in the USA are praying for Haiti and giving our dollars. We all must stand togethere at this time. And for all the People at CNN and the Stars tonight GOD BLESS you all. If no one told you they love you today GOD loves you and do I and the World.

J.D.Bryan   January 18th, 2010 10:16 pm ET

Would just like to let Alyssa Milano Know, I have been a big fan , her whole career

J.D.Bryan   January 18th, 2010 10:19 pm ET

Thanks to everyone who is helping Haiti. God bless you all

V   January 18th, 2010 10:20 pm ET

Looting vs Survival

This article serves to reprimand as well as correct numerous and various news commentators on their interpretation of the Haitian people’s actions. Too many commentators have and are making remarks about some of the Haitian Peoples looting.
There is a distinct & differences between pillaging and desperation. To pillage, loot of plunder or plunder is to: rob by often force in a violent, hostile manner, a manner characteristics of an enemy with ill will, fighting and warlike. From when are the Haitians stealing? Who are they robbing? On whom have they waged war?
Then contrast to looting there is desperation whish is an active state of hopelessness, forcing a furious struggle against adverse circumstances, with total disregard of consequences, when everything else has failed. The Haitian people didn’t bring their cities to spoil not their country to shambles, instead it was an earthquake, a natural disaster that brought mass destruction, and chaos to their homeland.
Looting, plunder, pillage, despoil and all of these words are illustrative of what a hostile, warlike enemy has done to the Haitians. Their enemy the unforeseen natural disaster that has violently robbed them of their homes, their money, their property, oh and let’s not forget their lives.
So they rummaged through refuse seeking salvageable goods of necessity where is the owner of the warehouse that was scavenged? Does the owner mind? Would he or she deny a broken, destitute, despairing people a pittance that may sustain their life? Ultimately is that warehouse owner yet living? Who knows?
These commentators must remember that they are speaking of a people, whose country has been devastated, i.e., ravaged causing these peoples great despair-hopelessness.
I sincerely hope that in the future reports and commentators will think twice before the use the word looting when referring to the Haitian People.

An Appalled American

Lavydal   January 18th, 2010 10:23 pm ET

Hi Larry , love your show.

For the helpout of the Hati disaster, it would be better off to let all countries involved. Please don't let America to think it is only America's reponsibilty. Cause there are many good people over the world would like to lend helping hands other than American.In addition, the American did not able to help in previous adrupt crisis in the past in numerious occassions, such as Katrina, Sunami,.. just to name a few. In all occassion, the involvment of the u.s. all leaded to a a messy result. If U.S. really wanted to help the Hatian people, you may think providing your mighty flying vehicle to help delivery of thoudsands of volunteers, doctors and nurses around the world to Port-au-prince. These volunteers can do far better job than your marines.

Myriam   January 18th, 2010 10:25 pm ET

I cannot beleive the unity this tragedy has brought uppn the world, countries you wouldn't expect are in Haiti right now doing all they can. CNN is so amazing, the work they are doing overthere is wonderful. Anderson, Ivan and Dr. Sanjay may God bless you and your family for all your kindness involvement in this terrible tragedy.

Carlos Dejud   January 18th, 2010 10:44 pm ET

Larry, the CNN family, and guest: you folks are doing an outstanding job tonight on helping raise the needed funds to help the people of Haiti. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers goes out to the wonderful people of Haiti.

Keep up the good work!

Kenny   January 18th, 2010 10:44 pm ET

Now that the world has shown so much sympathy to the Haitians it only demonstrated the world cares for all the victims and the rebuilding of this devastated country.

Ismerai   January 18th, 2010 10:53 pm ET

This a wake up call America, we can be very humble if the situation obligates is to do so, I just wish that this doesn't get forgotten like Katrina or the Tsunami in China, everyone wants to help because it's the right thing to do right now but as the days and weeks and months go by people forget and that is when they will need the most help as well. This is something to remember and keep in mind everyday of our lives. People in american don't really undestand how good they have it here, and still complain because it is never enough. Haiti will always need help not just now in this disaster I think everyone should always help and maybe they can build better homes with stronger walls to withstand maybe a hurricane or earthquake in the future not just now. Unfortuantly people will forget and continue with there greedy lives hopefully this will wake everyone up from their sweet dreams and realize that when they are returning their food at a restuarant because it wasn't cooked they way they wanted there is millions of people that wish they could have that even if it wan't cooked right, So wake up America wake up.... I am glad that everyone is coming together to help, I am glad to see that there still is people with some heart in this world, CNN keep up the good work and please remember to brings us the story 6 months or a year from now to see how the people are doing and recontructing their homes... God bless!!!

marlene norris   January 18th, 2010 11:01 pm ET

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the continuous attention to Haiti. It is wonderful to see and hear of the generosity of so many people around the world. As many of your guests mentioned, the real test will come in the months to come when the media attention dies down. I know George Clooney will be airing a telethon on Friday night – I would like to suggest an additional donation strategy. Perhaps callers could have the option to commit to a year of giving through a monthly debit from their bank account. I know I would be interested in giving a manageable sum for the next year.

Arthur Bunger Jr.   January 18th, 2010 11:04 pm ET

Hey Larry great show tonight. I donated some money to the American Red Cross last week, and after submitting they returned an email that said the company I work for will match all employees contributions. Could you get a response to that to the viewers tonight, and possibly some numbers? This could double alot of the money. Thank you and God Bless

William   January 18th, 2010 11:14 pm ET

Even in what seems to be the most negative moments the human heart manifests it's extraordinary ability to come together and give cause to those in the deepest of need, The human spirit is a powerfully wonderful thing. Set backs will manifest, yet it is the human spirit that endures all hardship and tribulation, that we may grow deeper into our humanity and compassion.

carlos   January 18th, 2010 11:28 pm ET

let me start by saying thanks, for all the good CNN hasbeen done.In the HAITI's situation CNN come up big time, to let the world know that ;there is a critical situation in there everyone of us need to come together to help.CNN once again thank you.By any chance can CNN please help me mrs Monique GARRAUD and her daughter SHADEMAHA.They are at this ADRESS: Ave Magloire Ambroise#93P.A.P HAITI WI .

Cynthia Meo   January 18th, 2010 11:33 pm ET

Why isn't the Hotel Montana being covered more extensively with those American college students missing?

glyman5   January 19th, 2010 12:04 am ET

I can see and share CNN's frustration re the medical issues
in Haiti, the issue with the orphans.

But how do we contact or influence change?

I am sure the influential people have seen the same frustration
on CNN that I have

Keep up the good work, CNN

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 12:12 am ET

@Cynthia Meo
I'm certain that Hotel Montana is getting proper attention USA
rescue teams cannot discriminate. Everyone is getting as good
attention as possible as soon as the rescue crews can get to
the scene. Contrary to other incidents of urgency the USA
cannot and should not say, we are going to attempt to rescue
our people first, unless the victims of aggression. It will not be fair.
This is my opinion.

Nabil Lloyd George   January 19th, 2010 12:24 am ET

All of you are going a great job in Haiti. God bless you all. Our support and hearts and prayers are with you and the Haitian People. I have a suggestion about the distribution system. I understand that you do have have a problem of shortages in the relief supplies as they are comming from the U.S.A and many other countries from all over the world.I have some experience with relief organizations...Please Please make the Haitian people do some work under the organizations' supervision and under the security control of those troops on the groung. Recruit Haitians to help Haitians under your supervion and control. You have the capacity, the knoledge and the equipments and the supplies... recruit Haitians men and women to do the work under your supervion....It was done in south Sudan and many other countries....Tell Haitians what to do and you will have many hands working with you...I am sure that many Haitian would work to help Haitians just for some food....Please try it and I am sure it will work...........God bless you all

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 12:41 am ET

@JD Bryann
Looting means to pillage and to plunder
Looting is the correct word when there is no evidence to the contrary.
Nobody is looting for survival. You cannot loot for survival if you know
that you are going to die trying. If you go on a picnic and there are
8 sodas for 8 people and you go in the cooler and take out 3 sodas
for yourself-you are looting. You are drinking for survival.
In every society there is always a chain of command The leader will
you whether to loot or not to loot. Looting is a waste of resources
because only a handful benefit from the goods while the rest may
starve to death because the supplies that were looted ended in the
hands of thugs who used whatever they had to use and the rest
they discard, or sell it in the black market. A sensible person will
take one item for each person and leave some for the rest. Once
you go hording into a warehouse, a store, or a storage facility
and come out like if you went shopping for a week's supply, you
are fighting for survival. YOUR ARE LOOTING SIR/MADAM.

Isaac   January 19th, 2010 12:45 am ET

Why aren't more of the critically hurt children or those children that have been left widowed transported ASAP to the Dominican Republic? Is the Dommincan Republic doing all that they can?

santa   January 19th, 2010 12:46 am ET

Watching everything what's going on in Haiti, is really sad.
My opinon is that , we should send teams from different sectors, like agriculturers, builders, etc. so that they can use the people from Haiti, to rebuild their country. They can not depand on the world forever.
They have to be on their own feet someday. so why not starting from now. And instead of bringing the orphans to other countries, I think those children should stay in Haiti for now. What if their parents will be found soon or later. What can be done in this case is, to build an orphanage in Haiti , supervised by the Red cross etc. So you create also jobs for the Haitians, The main thing is, to help, bring Haiti on their feet using their own manpower , resources and whatever available. Thank you

Nancy Mane   January 19th, 2010 12:49 am ET

There are not many news stories that have brought me to tears like this one. I have nothing but tremendous respect for CNN reporters who are saying it like it is. Tonight Anderson Cooper laid it on the line, where are the doctors and medical facilities, where is the food, who is in charge of co-ordinating all the services, where is the Government of Haiti. I know there is a problem with the roads and the countryside and the airport but there must be a better and faster way to treat these people. Apparently their are doctors and supplies ready to fly to Haiiti but have been told not to come at this time. I just don't understand. I don't wonder that after 6 days without food and water they are starting to run out of patience. .This is a living hell.

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 1:09 am ET

@Dodie
Thanks for your support. Some people take their time to
evaluate, digest and then disseminate important info. that may
affect millions of people. Your impartial observations are a
blessing. God bless you.

M.D. Beadles   January 19th, 2010 1:17 am ET

Anderson Cooper complained passionately tonight about the lack of proper priorities in landing necessary aircraft. He cited the Doctors Without Borders plane, which carried medical personnel, medical supplies and portable hospitals, not being allowed to land. He committed to look into it and report back with his findings as to who is calling the shots.
Cooper then went on to happily report that Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea flew in to the airport today. (He neglected to mention Chuck Schumer's flight in) These self-serving photo-ops are probably costing lives.

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 1:39 am ET

M.D.Beadles
Self- serving Photo- Ops
Do you know what is like for a high ranking dignitary to be asked
to fly to a country where you may perish trying to land on an
airport; taking the risk of contracting a serious or fatal disease
such as : Malaria,tuberculosis, pneumonia, a fatal virus, or
becoming the victim of an assault by an angry ctizen, or
a terrorist. Why will someone that is already famous take a
chance like that? For publicity, stardom, or self-grandeur?
Give me a break. Former Pres. Clinton, Fmr. Pres. Bush,
Hilary Clinton and Coleen Powell don't need the photo-ups.
They are not running for office of the United Nations, or Haiti.
These are good samaritans. I hope that you may be albe to
sort the difference between love and hate?

M.D. Beadles   January 19th, 2010 2:37 am ET

Luis B Rosario
You lost me with the love and hate comment. I guess you chose to read something hateful into my comment. My point is that when there is a crisis you do what you can to help. Sometimes you help most by staying out of the way and letting the critical elements do their jobs.
If you were in charge which plane would you let land? I'll give you the last word if you want it.

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 3:12 am ET

M.D. Beadles
I owe you an apology. No hate in your message but there has
been some venting out in some E-mails. You are just like me and
many others; staying up late to give out opinions in an effort to
carry a message. Which plane will I let land? The plane of " hope."
The plane that will carry any God-sent help. Help is not only in numbers
but the intended message of the sender. The big planes with large
number of helpers cannot land yet due to logistics and unsafe
conditions. The Clintons are beloved people by the Haitians and
William Clinton is still recognized throughout the world(if you were
referring to them-I don't know. It is good for Hati(Just like Larry king
had all these Hollywood personalities on his show tonight-They are
trying to help one way or another.
I hope that I answered your question. But I don't want to have the
last word because you were so gracious and generous to hornor me
with your response. It shows that you care. God bless you.

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 3:41 am ET

M.D. Beadles
It appears to me from people on the field (including Anderson Cooper
and Dr Sanjay Gupta that the U.N. is largely responsible for not
allowing Doctors Without Borders access to landing in Haiti.
Instead they were diverted to Sto. Domingo(Dominican Republic)
where they must travel by bus to Haiti. There is also the question
about distribution of medical supplies that the U.N. has not
attempted to coordinate on a quick and swift response, according
to reliable sources. The distributions of heavy equipment is yet
to take place. Some people were blaming the American response
team but this is apparently not true. The U.N. will not hand out
food because they are afraid of rioting and for the safety of their
personnel. Two days ago Doctors Without Borders were advised
by a Belgian authority to leave their jobs for their own safety. But
Dr Gupta worked the nightshift all by himself and he was not
disturbed by roaming crowds, or thugs. Long live Dr Gupta.
He is becoming a true heroe in Haiti. Anderson Cooper and
Dr Gupta are accusing the U.N. personnel in Haiti of official
misconduc or lack of ethics. They believe that bureaucracy
is from the U.N. headquarters may be the culprit, according to
what they reported to CNN.

Lauren Pierre   January 19th, 2010 5:30 am ET

Well i dont really have a comment its a question my mother is a resident in the USA for more than 20years now she in Haiti in the Carrefour Port-au-Prince area she ok but she's really sick and i would like to get her back here in the USA but from the news i heard only US Citizens can go to the airport to come here so i'm just wonder since she got a Green Card can she go to the airport and at least have the chance to come here in the state to sick medical help.

Please help me cause i'm trying to get her a ticket but there's no news on when commercial airlines would be able to fly to Haiti.

Mike Barrett   January 19th, 2010 9:55 am ET

Well Anderson Cooper sent race relations back 200 years when he, the brave white man, went swooping in to "save" the young black child who got hit in the head with the rock last night. The triumph of spectacle over reality continues to perpetuate itself. Great reporting.

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 10:27 am ET

@Larry King- CORRECTION
Oops Big time typo (My apology)
Dr. Gupta and Anderson Cooper ARE NOT ACCUSING U.N.
personnel in Haiti of having anything wrong. On the contrary they
say that U.N. have to await for instructions from the chiefs
of the U.N. There is no evidence of misconduct from U.N.personnel
Haiti.

Chantal Ancelin   January 19th, 2010 10:28 am ET

Europeen countries have sent aid to Haiti, however they were forced to land in Santo Domingo because the US did not allow them to land. France was sending a plane full of hospital equipement which is in great need. So what is the problem? Let's leave politics alone for a while and concentrate on the people.
Strange, mind you there is no mention of this matter on any american news channel.

Gerald Jolly   January 19th, 2010 11:56 am ET

Good morning to you all.

I know this blog is off the topic, but if any of you know anything about this issue, I would like to hear your comments and opinions on this subject.

As you probably know, if you watch the morning prgramming on CNN Heidi Collins has been dismissed.

But what most of you do not know, is that she was dismissed because she threatened to expose an Executive at CNN for attempting to coerse her to have sex with him.

An inside source claims that a large sum of SHUT UP money was offered to Heidi along with her agreeing to leave CNN.

I wish to know if any of you folks could contribute information about this subject, because if the allegations prove to be true, I swear I will never watch CNN again until a proper explanation for her dismissal is offered.

Alex   January 19th, 2010 12:21 pm ET

We know that Haiti is the poorest country on the western hemisphere. That we are very clear on. Every single report starts out by saying "Haiti the poorest country in the western hemisphere". We get it I get it. the message has been successfully reinforced by the words the images that people have been seeing for over six days now. My question is Why doesn't anyone go deep into the history of Haiti and explain why the country has not had any real economic growth since gaining independence in 1804? I mean really explain the many reasons why, the some of which involve the IMF, World bank, etc.. It is one thing to repeatedly state something and have images to show as truth. But what is being left out of the equation is "WHY?".

Alex NY   January 19th, 2010 12:27 pm ET

We know that Haiti is the poorest country on the western hemisphere. That we are very clear on. Every single report starts out by saying "Haiti the poorest country in the western hemisphere". We get it I get it. the message has been successfully reinforced by everyone's words the images that people have been seeing for over six days now. My question is Why doesn't anyone go deep into the history of Haiti and explain why the country has not had any real economic growth since gaining it's independence in 1804? I mean really explain the many reasons why, some of which involve the IMF, World bank, etc.. It is one thing to repeatedly state something and have images to show as truth. But what is being left out of the equation is "WHY?".

Mark Wilke   January 19th, 2010 12:39 pm ET

Thanks to Mr. King, CNN News and all who contributed and donated.

Mark Wilke
American Red Cross of Alaska

jrock   January 19th, 2010 12:47 pm ET

The bottom line is that most people do not know how to run a crisis situation, that includes FEMA and AID. Common sense and Katrina would tell you need to get the military in FIRST because you cannot do anything without security. The military could gather all survivors into tents in one place to make distributing aid easier. After this, you send doctors, nurses, and aid. You then search and rescue. While this is going on, you can have the UN deal with the dead bodies (that's about all their good for anyway). Honoree should be running this!

Donna   January 19th, 2010 12:52 pm ET

The coverage of the young in Haiti has been tremendous but what about the elderly? I seen a short blip covering a nursing home that was destroyed. What is happening to place the elderly in a safe environment where they can be properly cared for?

Jenni   January 19th, 2010 1:03 pm ET

Our prayers and love go out to you Haiti and we won't stop thinking of you and praying. My husband and I live in a small town in Central Minnesota. Our church is doing a special offering for the people of Haiti. Most of us here in America, no matter how bad off, can and should give money right away, no matter how small the gift, it all matters. God Bless America, God Bless Haiti, we care about all of you, we are watching,praying,and giving what we can and will keep you in our focus long after the cameras go away. Let's all make that a goal and purpose! My husband and I watch you Larry every night, and if we can't, we record you to watch later. Loved the 2 hour show on Haiti last night, kudos to you and all who were involved! We thought John Mayer and Seal's performances were so moving. God is moving through the people to bring relief to Haiti and all it's loved ones. Thank you Lord!

J. Malik   January 19th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

Gerald Jolly. I'm sure you have a point to make, but this is neither the time or place. Waiting for a while will give Ms Collins her proper attention and will allow for full explanations. Your heart is in the right place, but just at the wrong time. Please be patient to give her a fair hearing.

Barbara Jones   January 19th, 2010 3:14 pm ET

I feel horrible for the people of Haiti and pray things improve quickly for them and soon. I have such grief in my heart for the people that have been lost, and those that have been left behind. I was watching CNN this morning and heard about the needed medical supplies for Haiti and that in error 5 corneas were sent to them that had been donated by people who had passed and were donors. I was horrified when I saw this, and thought only of how many other people saw it and will now remove themselves from the much needed donor list as a result because they fear how their body parts will be handled. The corneas sent to Haiti were wasted and therefore people who could have used them will not have an opportunity now. The reporter covering this story I felt was less than emphathetic as well.God Bless Haiti....

SNAPSHOT: CNN NEWS | ... Breaking World News ...   January 19th, 2010 3:55 pm ET

[...] LKL: Tweet challenge on Haiti aid [...]

Macita Regnier   January 19th, 2010 4:03 pm ET

I was born and raised in Haiti and I have to say I am sad to see these people suffer the way they are. We have had every President come to power with the ideal of helping us get to the next step "a better life". We are worst off now than when we started. At this point in time we are ready for the next step which is to let America own the Country. We are where we are because of our pride, a pride that has only held us back. Haitian people need a second set of eyes watching out their interest and they need to have rules and regulations. We need to look at this as a way for the Haitian people to start over.
Thuse complaining about Haiti beeing occupied are those without a vision and those who do not want to see a new Haiti.

Therese   January 19th, 2010 4:30 pm ET

Larry and All the world,
The people of Haiti need much more, Please! please keep helping! We also need the big Corporations who make the products and supplies the Haitions need around the world to help, lower your prices to all charitable organizations for the relief , donate your products to ship. We as the people will donate are time (after work, weekends,days off, any spare time). We will meet at any location (Walmart, Home Depot ,etc.... to help pack and ship, take donation what ever we can do..... We are all in this together and want to help.

Luis B Rosario   January 19th, 2010 6:20 pm ET

@Chantal Ancelin
THE U.N. IS IN CHARGE IN HAITI NOT THE USA

You statement (complaint) against the United States that they
diverted air traffic to Sto Domingo is not true(inaccurate). It is
been said by CNN over and over and they interview all agencies
involved in the rescue mission, the U.N. was in charge there since
beginning. The U.N.. is in charge and U.N. personnel was the
one that diverted the European aid, medicine and supplies to
the Dominican Republican. CNN interviewed U.N. leaders
and they said that when they diverted the rescue workers to
S.D. (Santo Domingo) it is due to logistics, a damage airport
that cannot receive large airplanes and for security concderns.
The same things has been said about military deployments. As
of yesterday the U.N. was not sending troops to sensitive
locations.
**********

Repeat. You and some others have blamed the good USA for
delays on deployment of personnel and distribution of good and
supplies but the U.N. in charge in Haiti. The US A.I.D. is now
present and deploying thereat but they are not in charge of operations.

J. Patry   January 19th, 2010 6:33 pm ET

It is truly amazing how much the world has done, even though it is not enough. Young adults like me in college are already creating food and clothe drives to help support the Haiti population. Any other options or ideas out there that college students can do to help?

Will   January 19th, 2010 6:34 pm ET

Hey Larry any word on the 4 students and the professors at the Hotel Montana? It kills me that no one is going to the Hotel to look for any survivors. The families are upset and it is heart wrenching to see the cries of the families as they wait for word. I pray that they are alive and I pray for the families to have strength to get through this tough time. can you find out if there is any progress?I pray for all of the Haitian people who continue to hold onto hope. Too much focus is being paid to Port-Au-Prince and there are other areas that aren't being looked at. Too much is going on at the airport and not the rest of the island. My wife and I have sent money to the relief effort in Haiti. God Bless and thank you for the support Larry.

karen hajek   January 19th, 2010 7:40 pm ET

I saw George Bush on tv saying send money I would not send a dime to anything he is involved in look how he took care of the people in La also I would not give money for him to put in his pocket he has caused the problems we have now, for greed for him & his buddies I have sent money threw another agency anything Bush is in I'm out

karen hajek   January 19th, 2010 8:02 pm ET

why are'nt they dropping food & water by air? & medicial supplies weather white or black rich or poor it seems they are picking who they want to help why are they holding back when other countries are there digging in getting it done we seem to be sitting on our hands when all these people need us & the children it breaks your heart what is all the money in the world going to do if its not used to feed them? & care for them I should think of the shame the people in charge should feel for the lives lost because they did'nt act I hope its something you can live with.

DW   January 19th, 2010 10:12 pm ET

How can we become a foster family to some of the children of Haiti? Thanks CNN for all you have done to help. Dr. Gupta, Anderson Cooper, Ivan Watson and Larry King what a great job you have done!

p germain   January 20th, 2010 1:06 am ET

I have an idea on how we can rebuild Haiti.
like the 401k plan we can set up a fund where we can take one dollar from every Haitian paycheck every week before tax and we can use that money to rebuild the country.
It will be voluntary, every haitian will sign a consent form through their employers. the money should be managed by the united nation.
another thing I am haitian, i was born and raised in Haiti. it is time that we do something for our country , we can't just stay there and wait for others to always come to our rescue.
please let's make this idea a international debate so that haitians around the world can hear about it.

Emmajean   January 20th, 2010 2:34 am ET

A letter to the Haitian President,
A cure for Haiti
By
Emma Tese' Jean
1/18/10

I am appalled and disappointed at what's going on right now in Haiti . The Haitian people should be ashamed of themselves. The animalistic barbaric actions of my people as they are in the mist of this tragedy, makes me feel a shamed to be haitian. But they are not to blame. The blame is on the haitian government or the lack there of . The people are the first priority. The resources are being dispersed in a un-organized insensitive manner. It reminds me of a hundred pigeons feeding off one slice of bread. Haiti is a Paradise! I remember my grandmother taking me to the waterfalls of Bassin Blue, the congested Iron Market in port au prince and the beaches of Belle-Anse

On Tuesday ,January 12,2010 my country was hit by a devastating earthquake. At that exact moment all I can think of was my grandmother. She lives, in Haiti. The feeling that i felt at that moment was un-describable. All the death that I saw on the tv was not helping. I finally spoke to her today, seven days later and my grandmother is Ok . I was overwhelmed by the swift relief efforts for my country. From the bottom of my heart ,I thank the world.

There's more then half a billion dollars in the earthquake relief fund. How will it be spent? You can't just drop food from the sky expecting an explosion of civility; food, shelter, cloths and jobs are needed. What Haiti needs right now is hope to resurrect the nation. Only Haitians can rebuild Haiti!
Haitien, we must organize the dissemination of the relief supplies and consolidate our population to hazard free areas. Every able bodied citizen must be hired in some capacity in these relief efforts. We must have well equipped scouters for locating survivors, we must have recovery teams with low cost air transportation to evacuate the injured and weak ,also clean up crews to remove the decease and the rubble.

The global condition demands an innovative environmentally conscience industry. We will rebuild to this standard, making haiti , pioneers of this era. We will cease this opportunity by implementing new farming and water treatment techniques ,a low cost communication infrastructure ,and factories to build solar panel and State of the art fabricated homes and usher in this eco-conscience age.

~ Seul haitien ca rebaty haiti

Susan   January 20th, 2010 5:41 am ET

My husband's hospital has put together teams of medical personel and supplies, but we are told that it is OUR government that has been putting a block on this. is there any truth to this? How sad if it is.

Tracy Mulvaney   January 20th, 2010 9:00 am ET

Dr. Gupta,
Thank you for HELPING! You are there, working, and reporting on specific needs. Here is an opportunity for our Pharmaceutical companies to put their profits to very good use. Come on! Someone send pain medication and bandages TODAY!
There is no excuse for the continued suffering, it's 2010!
Tracy in PA

Helen Vos   January 20th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

What has been going on in Haiti, over the decades, is clearly immoral. The Literacy rate is about 50%, 6% of the population has aides or is HIV positive, 50% of the population are under the age of 18, (not encouraging news if one hopes to see lots of sound judgement at this a moment in time), their government, dictators and politicians are all a bunch of exploitive crooks. There were, previous to this earthquake, about 325,000 orphans, excluding the young girls and boys who have been sold into slavery by impoverished, desperate and opportunistic families, the island has been denuded to provide the poor with charcoal which they use for fuel causing floods with every coming hurricane and so . . . the beat goes on. Much needed supplies are at the airport, however due to Haiti's world-famous crime rate, everyone is afraid of the natives and won't really get the help out to them directly and immediately. I can't resist commenting that I have not seen or heard, on any of the network's coverage, anything louder than a UN whistle. Where are the megaphones, loud speakers and fog horns to gain the attention of those we are seeking to help? No one has spoken to the people in the streets, those with no television or radio or cell phones to tell them to stand in line, food and doctors are one their way and that crime will not be tolerated, etc. Right now Haitians are understandably scared, operating under very desperate circumstances and therefore with very primitive survival skills. What needs to be considered and feared is realizing that in the absence of leadership frightened people will follow anyone. We need to see some leadership in finding a direct method of helping Haitians that does not include enough cash for their "leaders" to buy lavish estates in the South of France or remain comfortably well off while in Exile. Call me crazy however I have a problem with any Head of State who hails from an impoverished nation always being so flush.

I don't care if it takes tanks rolling down the streets, Haiti needs help and we as part of the community of The World, need to get cracking and not fear how it may look. I would say that we need to be a little less "respectful" and a little more "result oriented" and soon! Frankly, Haiti needs a huge change. I think however, that I would be more in favor of Marshall Law than a Marshall Plan right about now.

Helen Vos

Mark LaPenna   January 20th, 2010 3:01 pm ET

I have been following this disaster for over a week now. I have donated money for the support of this mission. What really gets me is this; Where are the Muslim extremists in all this??? They possess billions of dollars, and instead of showing they really care, they would rather spend their wealth on destruction. This is amazing, considering the same Koran they use to twist the truth says that they should be there to help unconditionally...yet they'd rather strap a bomb to their chest and kill innocent civilians. May God bless those whom not only offer help, but those whom lay down their arms and join in assisting those in dire need of rescue on every possible front!

Dawn Nash   January 20th, 2010 7:29 pm ET

The devastation to the Haitians is massive, with survivors now trying to cope with no food, water, medical care or housing arriving fast enough to save those that are most vulnerable... the young,the elderly, the poor. With a national unemployment rate of 70%, I wondered how these desperate people will manage. Every one knows that those who have the bucks and the "pull" will come out on top and I bet some would even look at the deaths of those vulnerable groups as culling. Some will turn a blind eye to this but I have faith that CNN and other News agency's will keep their cameras focused in that wrongs done in Haiti will be seen worldwide.

It was brought to my attention for temp housing that the use of "Cargo Containers" just might help in this area. If you check on the web you will find that they can be adapted and secured to the ground for less cost than rebuilding a new home. It is my understanding that there are empty containers at nearly every port in the world can we not give these till something better can be built?

Mike   January 20th, 2010 7:51 pm ET

Hollywood loves a disaster, the celebrities are pouring out of the woodwork to capitalize on the PR opportunity. Kinda makes me nauseous, honestly.

ttucker   January 21st, 2010 12:46 am ET

I know your reporters are afraid to say it , but the reason aid is so slow to get there is because of the color of the skin of the victims in Hati

Joanne Breaux   January 21st, 2010 8:24 pm ET

I have watched the last 3 great disasters and with the rest of the world donated money. My daughter and her husband filled 3 tractor trailors with food and supplies and went to New Orleans. I am beginning to doubt that money or goods actually gets to the people that so desparately need it unless you go there and hand it out yourself. I think that most of that money, for the tsunami, quake,hurricane, victims end up in someones pocket. I drove thru New Orleans last July and let me tell you it is still a horror. If you hand the money directly to the people it might actually do some good. Take 3million people and divide all the money donated to Hati and you will have a nation of millionaires sombody needs to be the watchdog because the people that need it are getting shafted

Disgraced American   January 21st, 2010 9:12 pm ET

In regards to the Haiti crisis....I am ashamed to say I am from the United States. The United Nations should be rebuilt, and we need to open up our hearts and our football stadiums and get busy!

Majolie   January 21st, 2010 11:55 pm ET

MARTINEPIERRE IS STILL SENDING MESSAGES ! SHE IS ALIVE UNDER THE RUBBLES AT UNIVERSITE CARAIBES located in DELMAS 29. THere are students that arestill alive as well! SEND HELP....

HELP – HELP – HELP

Lori   January 22nd, 2010 1:41 am ET

Larry I saw the video of the the Haitian police shooting the two young Haitian men over the rice. In my opinion there has been a "Hush Order Shoot to Kill" put out by the Haitian government. Which we all know they will never acknowledge. If the people of Haiti don't have faith in the government to help them, there is something severely wrong. I still think Pres. Preval and Prime Minister and cabinet are still a very corrupt government. Otherwise why are they hiding and not out in the streets help there own people. Beware of that government with the monetary aid, I think they should not have any control over any of the monies that come in for haiti. I think they are so called "laundering money" to make it look good. Also alot of meds and provisions could be helocoptered into to the presidential palace lawn area for distribution easily!!!!

RiccoSico   January 22nd, 2010 3:21 pm ET

The Big Picture is that the aid and distribution of supplies will get done and unfortunately for many of the critically hurt or sick it will be too late. This is a natural disaster the likes of which we have not seen in our lifetime. The fact that most reports on Haiti start with the that it is the poorest country in our hemisphere is important, because this quake exposed more than its poverty to the world. The question is what’s to be done about it. Will its government be allowed to continue at a status quo?
The injured, sick and homeless people of stricken areas deserve better and will need continued care, new hospitals, homes built and an improved infrastructure. It’s obvious that this small country can not do it on its own.

So the big picture is that it will be a long hard road of recovery for Haiti and its people and it will be the USA not Germany, Israel, DR or Mexico that will continue to help them.

MARK SHARP   January 22nd, 2010 5:26 pm ET

Larry first off your great and have been that way for a long time.

Now, u guys are covering Haiti very thoroughly, perhaps too much.
I wish ethics could play a role in how u display these hurting ppl, particularly the issue with the Haitian police shooting down those two men in the street over rice.

All I ask is that you do not show a man dying in the street, bleeding out and twitching, not cool man. Then having the camera all in the greaving mothers face, lets have some dignity and let the man die a little more peacefully.

alright Larry, stay up dog

katie   January 22nd, 2010 9:45 pm ET

To all those bankers who received obscene bonuses – since you had the gall to accept them at taxpayers expense in these economic tough times, how about you redeeem yourselves now and give those bonuses straight to the people of Haiti?

Aniekan Ekah   January 22nd, 2010 10:30 pm ET

I'm still wondering how I could send in some donations from Nigeria.

kevin   January 23rd, 2010 3:20 am ET

Although I was never a star person I do have to say great job to all of them. This has changed my mind about many stars and George Clooney is one of them. I am now proud to say they are our shinning stars. They deserve to be where they are today, they showed us all how much they love and feel and wish like the rest of us. Larry, you did a great job too. Thank you for teaching me to learn and not criticize.

M. Raymond Sheppard   January 23rd, 2010 9:43 pm ET

I hope the Power-That-Be do not end rescue operations too soon and cause the additional deaths of possibly hundreds of people still trapped under the rubble in Haiti.

Lois Dyer   January 24th, 2010 12:04 am ET

Do you know if Haiti has a rainy season and if so when might it hit? I'm assuming the rescue people helping the people there are on top of that. I watch CNN all the time and will be so glad when there's nothing more to report except everything is being rebuilt and all the orphans have found homes. That reminds me my sister told me that when couples in Haiti have 2 or 3 kids and can't afford any others they just hand them over to orphanages. If that is true I'm hoping along with lumber and nails being handed out so people can build new houses they are also handing out birth control pills and condoms.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter