CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 14, 2010

R&B singer Teddy Pendergrass dead

Posted: 01:57 AM ET

t1larg.teddy.pendergrass.gi.jpg(CNN) - R&B Legend Teddy Pendergrass died Wednesday evening, his publicist said. He was 59.

Pendergrass, known for smash love ballads such as "Turn Off the Lights" and "Love TKO," died after after a long illness, according to Lisa Barbaris, who described herself as a close friend and his last publicist.

"His beloved family surrounded him. The world has lost one of it's greatest voices and performers," a statement from Barbaris said.

Filed under: Entertainment • Larry King Live

esther burnley   January 14th, 2010 2:24 am ET

why can't helicopters aleast drop water
and body bags so people can put family members because of disease to thoes that have survived

Connie Stamatopoulos   January 14th, 2010 5:26 am ET

R.I.P TEDDY PENDERGRASS

pat davis   January 14th, 2010 10:14 am ET

OMG...another celebrity. God Bless You Teddy.

still me just a new name   January 14th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

Rest In Peace...

Letta (I beLIEve)   January 14th, 2010 12:21 pm ET

Teddy was a very good artist. Sometimes, I still listen to TKO, loved that song. R.I.P Teddy

L.O.V.E & PEACE
Fan 4EVER
LETS SPEAD OUR L.O.V.E TOGETHER
LET SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER
I WILL BE THERE

lola   January 14th, 2010 1:04 pm ET

His beautiful voice will be missed........His courage and strength after his tragic accident was to be admired.

jan   January 14th, 2010 3:16 pm ET

RIP!

TRUE-TO -YOU   January 14th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

VERY SAD LOVE TO YOU TEDDY

RFergy   January 14th, 2010 4:04 pm ET

I LOVED Teddy Pendergrass.. he was a beautiful singer!! RIP..

Brenda Stout   January 14th, 2010 4:13 pm ET

My condolonces go out to his family. God be with him.

carie   January 14th, 2010 6:22 pm ET

Teddy and Michael will make beautiful music together in heaven. RIP Teddy and Mike.
My mom's nickname is Teddy. Love to the family and condolances..

Allan mac lellan   January 14th, 2010 7:54 pm ET

Isee two presidents about to fund raise for haiti
wheres all the money collected for new orleans

Barbara   January 14th, 2010 9:23 pm ET

Another beautiful voice gone. And he died so young, like Michael.

patrick   January 14th, 2010 10:04 pm ET

Why haven't I heard anything about Pharmaceutical companies donating medications and antiboitics<<<<<<they make billoins off people,,,,,time to give a little back

shirley somwonder   January 14th, 2010 10:47 pm ET

Larry, I could tell you were trying not to cry tonight when talking about Haiti.

I, too, feel real bad about this terrible horror they have suffered.

Yesterday I wanted to board a plane and go help the babies there.
I had a dream of a black baby crying and a voice said" Who will feed the babies?"
But do not go on about how great the Haitian people are. They worship all sorts of strange gods; and are very violent.

Let us not make them saints just because they are having this terrible time.

Lori - Justice For Michael   January 15th, 2010 4:20 am ET

Rest In Peace, Teddy....another wonderful voice silenced. Gone to soon.

JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   January 15th, 2010 9:03 am ET

R.I.P. Teddy Pendergrass.

Thank you for the music. Especially love "If You Don't Know Me By Now".

Your music will live on.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter