CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 10, 2010

Stephen Baldwin takes faith so seriously, he'd watch his daughter die in the name of religion.

Posted: 06:46 PM ET

via WENN

"It's Complicated" New York Premiere - Outside Arrivals

The actor reinvented himself as a born-again Christian following the 9/11 terrorist attacks on America, and his wife Kennya and their kids Alaia and Hailey are equally as devoted.

During a candid chat on Celebrity Big Brother, Baldwin revealed the lengths he would go to to stay true to his belief in God.

He explained, "I'm gonna sound fanatical right now but what my faith requires is if I were sitting here, and my wife and two kids were sitting there, and we were on a public bus and somebody came in with a machine gun and pointed it at my daughter and said to my daughter, 'Say Jesus doesn't exist' – if she turned to me and said, 'What do I do?', I'd say, 'What have I taught you to do?'

(Read More)

Photo: Jim Spellman/Life.com

Filed under: Larry King Live • Religion

Catherine Berryhill   January 11th, 2010 1:40 am ET

A very difficult one! In the first place, no one knows what they would do in such a situation. Nothing is so cut and dry. I do wish born-again believers would be more interested in God's reputation, and never be religious. God isn't.

Ann-Virginia   January 11th, 2010 2:43 am ET

Wow!Talk about extrimists!!

N. Gorgani   January 11th, 2010 6:11 am ET

I think it is too complicated imposing a condition(s) on someone or something. Keeping believe SIMPLE could be the way to be able to understand it. If done: Human earns Respect. We may leave everyone within their Norms and Values.

Yesterday I thought of people who think there are living Ghosts in Life. Pergaps they are right. Some power of some people in the history had been seen as Supernatural!!! Mostly those Supernatrual people would not liked to reveal their the source of their power. Those people have mostly explained the results according to their logic. This means that the flow of Information had been restricted. Comparing with today's World, restriction of Information is extremely difficult. So, there comes the question: Can those Supernatural figures in past rise gain in our time and give us Concrete Answers that are Understandable within their boundaries???

michele   January 11th, 2010 11:04 am ET

You are right it's not so cut and dry being that we are human beings. I think the headline made a suggestion that he would indorse his child doing what extreme Islamist are doing in the name of their religion. I would NEVER expect or condone my family to go and harm ANYONE in the name of Jesus. That would be against all that I believe. However, I do hope that if anyone in my family was faced with that kind of question we would answer the same way and not reject Jesus in our last minute of life. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and died for our sins. I believe in heaven and I believe that the Bible is the infalliable word of God so I believe that this is not our final destination.
As a parent that would be hard to watch but because I also strongly feel that our story begins and end with God I also believe in the same thing that Stephan Baldwin said, I would see my children in heaven!

Darlene Mattson   January 11th, 2010 11:18 am ET

Doesn't anyone find it offensive, hipocritical, and whatever else to always be hearing McCain "laugh" at his disgusting and disrespectful remarks...exactly like he campaigned. When interviewing both Leiberman and McCain at the very same time last evening, Leiberman choked before stating he didn't agree with everything McCain says and does, and clearly stated he did not agree with McCain's new ad telling the world Obama is pushing America into bankrutcy. What is so different from McCain's tactics to that of Muslim extremists...they're both scare tactics, are they not? The vast array of McCain's ignorance clearly says he has no conscience. He proved that in his personal life alone.

Joe G. (Illinois)   January 11th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

It’s pretty much about what you fear.. Some people fear poverty, others shame or a bruised ego, maybe death or the horrifying wrath of the devil… But others who have been awakened and have experienced the Presence both fear and yearn Jesus Christ. Once you experience that kind of fear no one or anything could ever possibly supersede it. Thank you and good day

dottie   January 11th, 2010 12:21 pm ET

ohooooooooooooooooo,this guy is a nut.... l guess he islam or muslim,,,dude please.
This what l really want to say games change or blamed games.
listen up! that books were written by, 2 guys gossiping about, what went on during the primaries and election campaign of 2008,it's a good way to make money.duh! another point l wanted to make is: the outraged that the Republicans or people are making about , the bad choice of words,or stupid remark made by senator Harry Reids.
on black dialect. if we want to make or poke fun of dialect, then we
shpuld ,do it with all people, because all Americans has some kind of dialects,we all are immigrant, it's started with the 13 colonies. we all settler here. in American from another counrty. we have african Americans , indians Americans . irledand americans Germany American Italyians Amerians and all of us has a dialect. oajy. soooooooo ,,there you have it's.

dottie   January 11th, 2010 12:34 pm ET

typo,,,correction,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you.
This what l really want to say games change or blamed games.
on black dialect. if we want to make or poke fun of dialect, then we
shpuld ,do it with all people, because all Americans has some kind of dialects,we all are immigrant, it's started with the 13 colonies. we all settler here. in American from another counrty. we have african Americans , indians Americans .lrish, ireland americans Germany American Italians Amerians ,jewish americans, muslim american,and all of us has a dialect. we call black dialect ebonetic, in other words we're speaking afircan and american mix,in american then we have red neck languages ,hillbilly, so to speak ,it mountains dialect,okay soooooooo ,,there you have it's.

Ted   January 11th, 2010 12:51 pm ET

Just another born again brainless nut!!!
A parent should and will do anything to save his or her child, even people died trying to save just a child.
This guy is either trying to get some attention, as his career in Hollywood is in a bad shape, or he is brainwashed just like those terrorists who blow themselves up just to kill another human being!

Gerald Jolly   January 11th, 2010 12:55 pm ET

Stephen Baldwin, was taken out of context when he made that comment.

The reality is that he has been ?? REBORN??

His comment was really about what he would rather do with his children if they were threathened with life or death and the option was, in order to save them would he be prepared to give up his beliefs and new found faith.

A typical question for "BIBLE THUMPERS" to ask when they are passing the collection plate around on any Sunday.

QUOTE: IF YOU TRULY LOVE THY GOD, MONEY SHOULD BE OF NO IMPORTANCE TO YOU.

This phylosophy is also called "GREED" and "SELF SERVING" "MOTIVATION"

And GOD said, NO MONEY, NO HEAVEN FOR YOU.

That's why there are no poor people in HEAVEN?????????????

Ted   January 11th, 2010 1:42 pm ET

@ Gerald Jolly

Good stuff!!
Why do all those preachers who quote the Bible without a break have so much money?
Because religion is a business, was always a business and always will be a business. They just take the money of the suckers.

Shelly   January 11th, 2010 6:43 pm ET

This hypothetical is seriously creepy. He's exploiting his own child by creating such an ugly scenario to demonstrate HIS faith. Ugly – and stupid. No loving parent would care what his child said to a maniac if it could spare her life.

Dodie   January 11th, 2010 6:54 pm ET

Ted and Gerald – Well Said!!

We may need to revise our laws. Tax the heck out of all religious groups as we Americans have no more money to give for taxes.

The “bible Thumpers” can financially support these wars!!!

Bottom line… you want the wars… you pay for them!

@ Ted "born again brainless nut!!!" Oh I love that one. Will have to add that to my new revised dictionary along with Bible Thumpers! You guys are great!

Joan   January 11th, 2010 10:28 pm ET

Good Lord, where did you find Tara Reed?? She is not the usual caliber of CNN commentators. She's rude and unable to let others have their say. I think CNN should maintain its standard and hold out for a guest who doesn't treat the discussion as a shouting match and shows some common courtesy toward the other speakers.

robert (speedy) Gonzales   January 11th, 2010 10:45 pm ET

As a Bible Thumper, I believe there is an eternity and I as all will account for their lives on earth. If I saw you were about to step off a cliff I would do every thing to stop you from falling. Following that reasoning I would just hope that those not believing in the Bible would at least read that book that is used in our courts and political ceremonies. The cliff many are about to fall off is eternal. It's just a thought with great consequence. The Bible I read talks of love and treating others as I wish to be treated. Those who pervert the Bible will have the same room as those who mock God!!!!

Kenny Jones   January 12th, 2010 1:43 am ET

Soledad O'Brien totally missed the perfect opportunity tonight to call for a true standard of accountability in our leaders, regardless of political affiliation. Harry Reid may not have said the same thing that Trent Lott did, but the affect of what he said equally matched Trent Lott's racially insensitive comment. There must be one standard and anyone who exercises poor judgment outside that standard, regardless of whether the intent is good or bad, should be held responsible, however unfortunate it may be. Trent Lott had to go... so should Harry Reid. What don't you understand Soledad?

Donald L Allen   January 12th, 2010 1:51 am ET

O Boomer Idea of respect is a police that says you give it up any way you see He don't care how is doing as long as you or welling to work four free you no it just is not like that no offence But I got a life to and were I,M from it not a free life Donald L Allen PS of course he well make a big deal of you driven you see I don't think it a joke and I do not stile what I do netter see you Larry King the King

Gerold   January 12th, 2010 3:21 am ET

Any God who would rather see a child die then hear a Parent lie to save them isn't worth believing in, let alone worshiping! An anyone who would by a religion that required them to participate in their Child's death for God's ego is a fool (sorry Abraham – you're really just an allegory anyway!).

Faith is ok as long as it doesn't lead to oppression or shunning of others, but organized religions are the Devil at work – corrupting the people within the power-elite of Churches and debasing and exploiting the powerless within the body of the Faithful. How did the Catholic Church get away with systematic rape and abuse – with the help of the Congregation and the Government – that's how. Everyone knew it was going on – did you think all those jokes that have been around for centuries were funny because it could NEVER happen. No – just a little gallows humor as we sent our kids off to the child-rape center, err parish church. Why weren't they kicked out fo the Catholic Church for centuries, because the powerful amongst the elite liked having them there.

Wake up and smell the exploitation people. he ONLY thing Marx was right about was all the opium you are smoking in your churches!

I say – tax them like the businesses they are! Oh, no! My Church isn't a business! you say. Then why are Catholic Diases around the country choosing to declare bankruptcy rather than pay for the sex they've enjoyed from our children? A Business would do such a thing to avoid restitution, but a Church!

They're all about power and money, so let's take them BOTH back into th ePeople's hands!

Mohamud Nur   January 12th, 2010 4:52 am ET

If you look the history of White men in the America politics, they are those who in Blue D who always fight for equality, justice to all, and those who are in Red R who always reject, refuse and fight against equality and justice. When those who in Red say anything offensive to black or minorities, it is not forgivable and it is not miss use or poor choice. It is planed offensive and they have to paid price. But those in blue D, if they says anything offensive to minorities or black it is very possible, that it could be poor choice or miss use of the words and they are forgivable. So if you are in the Red Zone pay attention on your words.

Connie Stamatopoulos   January 12th, 2010 9:06 am ET

In my poor humble opinion this is "Heaven" and this is "Hell" we mankind have created both of them and we more or less participate in both of them.

We all go through our personal hell at some stage in our life, cause lets face it life as we all know is not a bed of rose petals.

If only there were no fanatics in religions, I recon this world of ours would be a better place to live inn...........................

Don't you think???????

Valeria T   January 12th, 2010 11:26 am ET

This is disgusting. What happened to a parent's duty to protect his/her child above all else? Evidently Mr. Baldwin has forgotten *that*. Isn't there something about that in the Bible? (If anyone reading this is any sort of Biblical expert, please tell us if there is any specific statement regarding parents' obligation to protect their children. I'm not sure, but I would *think* there would be).

This is what happens when anyone gets fanatical about religion, or any other belief system (political ideologies, etc.) for that matter.

THERE IS *NO*, repeat *NO* BELIEF SYSTEM WORTH ***ANYONE'S*** LIFE!!!!

It's that simple. Preserving ***human life*** should come first. If I were in the situation Mr. Baldwin describes, I'd tell my daughter to say whatever she had to to save herself.

Ted   January 12th, 2010 2:16 pm ET

There are politicians and there are diplomats and we should not apply the same standard to both!

Diplomats are trained to talk very politely, avoid any conflict and talk for hours without saying anything. They usually are just waste of money.
Politicians can also talk a lot without saying anything, however they do not have the training with the fine manners.

I prefer leaders who say what must be said, even if someone gets upset about the choice of words, as there is always someone who doesn´t like this or that.
After all, we did not elect the pope to be our President or Senator.

Rose   January 12th, 2010 6:21 pm ET

Stephen Baldwin's approach to religion is tantamount to child abuse. I hope this "bus scenario" or anything similar does not occur and that his children are not taught that it's okay to have a gun trigger pulled on them to defend Jesus. Give me a break! "No" to nut-case parenting.

Avery   January 13th, 2010 8:36 pm ET

He's an idiot. GOD KNOWS WHAT"S IN YOUR HEART. His job is to honor and protect his daughter from harm! Words are just that. How ignorant...

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter