CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

December 17, 2009

TONIGHT ON LARRY KING LIVE!

Posted: 06:43 PM ET

Missing Mom

Susan Powell of West Valley City Utah was last seen on Sunday and now her husband is being called a "person of interest". Powell's father talks to Larry tonight about the mystery surrounding his daughter's disappearance.

'It's Your Time' with The Osteens!

Megachurch pastors Joel and Victoria Osteen talk to us about Joel's new book, "Its Your Time", and give us their take on Tiger Wood's problems, the passing of their friend Oral Roberts, and how President Obama is handling his job so far.

Gov. David Patterson

He's running for re-election in New York but there are reports that President Obama doesn't want him in the race. Is there are rift between the Governor and the White House? That's all tonight at 9ET/6PT!

And we want to hear from you:

What would you like Larry to ask Joel and Victoria Osteen?

Filed under: Joel Osteen • Obama • Politics

A. Smith, Oregon   December 17th, 2009 6:57 pm ET

I would ask Joel Osteen:

Your god and your bible clearly states, 'Thou Shalt Not Kill'

The statement is clear, decisive and absolute.

Why is Rev. Billy Graham jr. and other Christian leaders sending their sons to Afghanistan and Iraq to kill foreigners?

Why are Christian Chaplains in the battle zones telling the troops the Christian God supports their killing of other people?

ckelly   December 17th, 2009 7:23 pm ET

Oh Please....not Joel Osteen...With so many other big and important issues going on right now-this week,

Climate Gate and the European mandate to "globalize and legislate everything" through The Copanegan agreement. The walkout and protests of poor countries, protests, resignations-

The Economy.

Health care: The shredding of the healthcare plan-so its so bare boned as to be rendered meaningless...Insurance companies will come out very happy with changed legislation but the consumer will get less bang for their buck. No public option and a reduction of monies to medicaid and medicare.

Joel Osteen?

Dare   December 17th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

When will he actually use the Bible to teach and preach his sermons. Encouraging your congregation is great, but people do need to hear and learn from the Word of God.

Thank you Larry and absolutely love your show. You are an excellent interviewer.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Osteen’s colossal Lakewood Church holds 30,000 people. Just go to Ebay and do a search for Joel Osteen and his tickets go anywhere from $43 to $607 + $15 shipping each.

There is nothing wrong with Joel Osteen selling hundreds of thousands of tickets and making multi million dollars each year. More power to him! However we are looking at big business.

Why should the 'mom and pop' store have to pay taxes for a meager existence; however Joel Osteen does not, while bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars each year?

All business need to pay taxes; regardless of what you are selling!!!

roberto   December 17th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

do not think they are realistic @ life, they are very wealthy, wonder if they ever help the poor or help in soup kitchens ..

JBM   December 17th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

@Roberto,
The Osteen's do not take any salary from the church which does a great deal of charity work. The Osteen's money comes from his best selling books and possibly other endeavors. They do pay taxes on that income.

Sean B   December 17th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

To the Osteens: What is your position on near-death experiences? Do you think they are real? Many of them contradict the bible's version of heaven and god.

A. Smith, Oregon   December 17th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Its a utter travesty to suck millions of dollars from a community into religious institutions and not require them to pay State nor Federal property taxes and nor income taxes on millions upon millions of acres of commercial properties.

Those same public schools really need and deserve all the property tax help they can get, the US Supreme Court should place all religious organizations back into tax paying institutions.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:14 pm ET

Have they seen the best movie in the world Religulous? Do they believe in Evolution? Does the talking snake speak to them? Are they insane? How do they feel about Righteousness? When they wake up in the morning are they starving as millions of people are? Are they gonna build an amusement park, being that their religion will soon be just that,just a theme?

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:22 pm ET

In 1981, Joel Scott Osteen quit college at Oral Roberts University the first semester to set up his father's television ministry and worked side by side with him as the editor of their local Houston television ministry show.

Joel Scott Osteen hosted television program Lakewood Church; which can be seen in 92 percent of American households.

Joel Scott Osteen is a very popular pastor and televangelist, even though he has absolutely no biblical training or experience to be a pastor. His education was in television production.”

All other professional clinicians must not only require proper education but also licensure. I find that Joel Osteen does not require anything for conducting couples, family, and individual counseling not to mention millions hanging on every word he says. I find this very humorous! :~)

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:22 pm ET

@A. smith. well done

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

Joel Osteen's a tool and looks like tool time taylor .

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

@ Dodie, you should run for President of something.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:26 pm ET

@ Antonio-elizabeth,NJ ( lol )

Talk about hitting the nail right on the head!!!!!

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:27 pm ET

@michael armstong sr. A tool is an understatement. A tool needs physical motivation, that guy is self propelled

CeCe   December 17th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

I like Joel he gets you in the way of faithful waiting but I do have a problem with him. One time he said there was a poor man and he asked him to come to his church – I guess the person was a street person anyways Joel was going to give him twenty dollars if he promised he would come to church. The man would not promise and therefore Joel would not give him the money. I believe this went against
what Jesus stood for because The Lord said, "What you do for the least of my brethren you do for me." I do not have a lot of money but I keep Jesus words in my heart and do not question them, I just do as He asks whenever the times arrive. Thank you for listening Cecilia Steele

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

Patterson's going to ban cell phones in public places because they cause cancer .Not but thats what I would exspect from that guy.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

@ Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

They removed your priceless comment! such a shame. I thought it was really funny

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

@ michael armstrong sr. TX.

All you need is a spectrum analyzer and when you see all the waves in the air around you, you will have nightmares. The cell phone is only one more wave! As we ride the electronic waves of the future!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:34 pm ET

Are all evangelist snake oil salesman.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:34 pm ET

@CeCe, I know right from wrong. I do not need the words of a man that got his but wooped 2009 years ago to lead me in the right direction. For, when one does what is not right he or she feels an emotion that can not be explained only felt. Righteousness is the only way, look it up.

Henya, Ca   December 17th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

Well I like David Paterson he is intelligent not an angry guy, he is after all the governor of NY So I respect him,

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:36 pm ET

Victoria Osteen was accused by a Continental Airlines flight attendant, Sharon Brown, of assault before a December 19, 2005 flight from Houston, Texas to Vail, Colorado. The flight attendant sued Victoria Osteen in a Harris County civil court asking for 10% of Osteen’s net worth

Alley   December 17th, 2009 10:36 pm ET

Great timing for the Osteens appearance. We need some inspirational words to reassure us that the world has not gone completely crazy.

My heart goes out to the Powell children and others who are currently missing.

How are we to stop this escalating violence against children and their mothers? This year seems to be much worse than other years.

Words of inspiration would be a blessing.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

@ michael armstrong sr. TX.

You are being baaaaad again! Asking that question!

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

Awww shucks.

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:38 pm ET

Dang Dodie i was thinking the same thing and by the way i love night mares like a good scary movie.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:39 pm ET

@ michael armstrong sr. TX. December 17th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

Man that chick looks hot

---------

If any woman has half the wealth of Victoria... they would be beautiful too. Just a couple of surgeries does the trick!!! "nip/tuck" here and there :~)

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

I will miss Roy Disney more then Oral Roberts .

Richard   December 17th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

Larry – I follow your show regularly as a visitor and now permanent resident of this country as I feel you are prepared to ask the tough questions which often need to be asked. That said, please spare us the torture of listening to comments from the unqualified "Osteens" on issues which are clearly beyond their comprehension. I would also like to know what formal theological qualification either of the Osteens possesses?

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

Laughing... Michael... I forgot you know electronics too! Yep, do you remember looking at a spectrum analyzer. I was not only amazed, I was shocked!!!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:43 pm ET

Man this has been a really bad year for the rich and lucky .

Sarah   December 17th, 2009 10:43 pm ET

Creepy, creepy, creepy!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

They used to be called silo scopes

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

@dodie, Cant remember what i said though

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

How does Joel Osteen feel about Afganistan and naming it Satan's Garden.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:47 pm ET

@alley, All major violent acts are a purely religous, so give me a break. History 101

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:47 pm ET

@ Richard.

Well at least Victoria studied psychology for a year... maybe two. Joel Scott Osteen has absolutely no biblical training or experience to be a pastor. His education was in television production.

Maybe LKL can hire him for television (behind the camera)!

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:51 pm ET

President Obama has worked harder than any other president I have ever seen.

I think we need to clone President Obama. He is always needing to be in two places at the same time.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:52 pm ET

The Osteens are a perfect example of what religion is for. To quell all knowledge, so that they may force their ridiculous ideoligies on the masses.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

@Dodie, She said something smart, which is consitent with your comment. " we should be good to people."

Pat Harrison   December 17th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

ask Joel if he's a sinner too!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

Ok Larry im going yo be bad Evangelist makes me sick Every since Tamy Fay and Jim Baker there nothing but a bunch of crooks robbing old people any body who thinks there a messenger from God is a damd fool .

Pat Harrison   December 17th, 2009 10:56 pm ET

God only wants our souls to be His.

Richard   December 17th, 2009 10:58 pm ET

So to be clear, The Osteens have no formal qualification in the field of theology. Am I missing the point? Am I also the only person laughing when The Osteens answer Larry's questions?

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 10:58 pm ET

@ michael armstrong sr. TX.

Oh Michael... you are priceless! laughing again

@Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

You know, I think I missed my calling. Maybe I could be an Evangelist and make hundreds of millions of dollars from poor and desperate folks???

On second thought, I am too ethical!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 17th, 2009 10:58 pm ET

But his wife is no Tammy Faye huba huba.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 10:59 pm ET

They believe in the bible they dont need any real schooling. the earth is flat, the world is only 6000 years old. evolution is a hoax, so is physics, chemistry, biology, any ogy, but talking snakes and dissapearing acts are real.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 11:00 pm ET

OK, I can say a positive thing about Joel Osteen. At least he has not molested children. like other religious leaders...... or we have not heard anything about that. So that is a good start!

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 11:02 pm ET

@Richard, I laugh, and I throw up in my mouth.

Richard   December 17th, 2009 11:06 pm ET

I personally wonder what Sayyid Qutb would have made of The Osteens were he to have listened to them during his time in the USA and before he returned to Cairo. Whilst I do not believe it would have hightened his radicalization, it would probably have reaffirmed his belief that West had truly mortgaged it's guiding principles.

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 11:07 pm ET

@Dodie, He looks like one though, so lets stay off of that topic, they are millionaires that would never be exposed, unless the C.I.A does something. only way.

Richard   December 17th, 2009 11:07 pm ET

Antonio-Elizabeth – I glad to hear I am not the only person who feels this way about these individuals. It is almost embarrassing.

Minnie Mendoza   December 17th, 2009 11:08 pm ET

I watch you every night and tonight I am very disappointed that you would even question the existence of GOD. Have you ever wondered why you have the longest running show in CNN? It is not all because of your hard work and your talent and your connections...it is because GOD is allowing you to be where you are till today...I hope that you will find it in your heart to BELIEVE...

Antonio-elizabeth,NJ   December 17th, 2009 11:08 pm ET

Its like watching a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 11:09 pm ET

@ Richard

I am there right with you!

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 11:14 pm ET

@ Richard... I can certainly see the correlation between Sayyid Qutb and Osteens. They both wrote books in which people have formed a movement

Dodie   December 17th, 2009 11:16 pm ET

@ Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

Lets hope so! The jury is out in my view! Only time will tell

Mary Bolt   December 18th, 2009 4:20 am ET

Larry, i am surprised that you have not called out to Tiger and try to get him to come in and receive some type of help. You always jump on everything but what not TIGER??I think he would listen to your call. Hoping Mary

Esly   December 18th, 2009 7:39 am ET

Joel said earlier that everyone has GOOD in them. But Jesus said this, in Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?"
Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.
Does this guy ever READ God's word?
How can he preach it, if he does not even read it?

thomas   December 18th, 2009 8:56 pm ET

Mr King, I do not trust this couple..money hungry ? wonder if they have ever worked in a soup kitchen, helped the poor etc...

Heather   December 19th, 2009 9:21 am ET

The Osteen Ministry is such blessing to me. The fact that I can find them on the TV network makes it easy for me to gain access to biblical truths and know the love of Christ for each one of us. Thank you to Larry King for allowing this opportunity to leave a comment.

Ted   December 19th, 2009 10:14 am ET

Reading above blogs gave me a good laugh, you people are sooooo nasty to that lovey couple with the big phoney smile. They should have it permanently fixed with surgery so they do not have to bother to put it on again!!!!

And they just love people and father Osteen loves them too!!
If people would give me every year hundreds of millions just for listenning to a lot of nonsense, then I would even love them more than the Osteens do!!
It is possible only in the USA to get rich with preaching and not to pay a penny tax on it! Europeans think that we are retarded.
People, get educated, read something beside the Bible, travel, talk to other cultures. When you come home you will find Osteens to be just cheap comedians.

Bonnie   December 19th, 2009 10:23 am ET

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep"; not fleece them.

What have they done for God's needy this year? Let them feed the hungry children in Appalachia with some of their millions. Oh, I forgot, the big cars and mansions have to come first.

Please, please – no more of these do-gooders. I'm sick of hearing from them and about them.

kenny & annie   December 19th, 2009 5:24 pm ET

Mr King, we do not trust these people...smiling all the time, Mr O doesn,,something is hidden underneath that smile & it's dishonesty, laughing all the way to the bank...have they ever seen people freeze to death in the winter ?/ they must go to a SPA ev so often to look that good...we smell a rat ..strange things are happening inside their mansion ...the wheels are turning, how can they made more & more millions..

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter