CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

December 15, 2009

Rihanna 'not depending' on Chris Brown's friendship

Posted: 01:56 PM ET

via UsMagazine.com

By continuing to speak out about Chris Brown's violent Feb. 8 attack, Rihanna says she is slowly moving past the ugly incident.

"It's relieving," the singer, 21, says in the January issue of GQ. "Because it was built up for so long, and all these thoughts and emotions have been running through my mind for the past eight months. And now it's like I finally get to let go and move on."

Although she says doesn't like "talking about it" a lot, "every time I do, it's better; it's easier each time."

She says she finally decided to speak out about the incident because "I wanted to move on. And I knew that was the only way I could have done it. And I wanted people to move on with me. 'Cause the last big thing they know about me is That Night. And I don't want that to be what people define me as."

Although pal Jay-Z gave her "advice and guidance," she says "nobody" helped her move past the incident.

"I didn't really want to be around anybody, for them to stare at me and stuff, and feel sorry for me. So I just — I stayed in the house a lot. Then I started to get cabin fever. I was like, I'm going crazy in here," says the singer, who just dropped her latest album, Rated R.

Returning to the studio was therapeutic, she says.

Looking back, Rihanna says the biggest lesson she learned is that "love is blind."

"It took a lot of strength to pull out of that relationship," she says. "To finally just officially cut it off. It was like night and day. It was two different worlds. It was the world I lived for two years, and then having the strength to say, 'I'm gonna step into my own world. Start over.'"

She says the physical pain was nothing compared to the emotional pain.

"The bruises fade away," she says. "But the thing that stays with you is the emotional scars."

Asked if she'll ever be friends with Brown again, she says, "Maybe in like ten years, you know? But it's not something that I'm depending on. I'm not depending on his friendship."

Her message to women in abusive relationships?

"Stop blaming yourself for that outcome," she says. "There's nothing you can do, ever, to excuse a man's behavior like that."

Filed under: Chris Brown • Rihanna

A. Smith, Oregon   December 15th, 2009 2:30 pm ET

Good for Rihanna,

She's a beautiful and very talented woman, she certainly doesn't need to be friends with someone that smashed her face and likely would have done worse to her if she hadn't struggled to escape.

I support the retailers across the country that are Boycotting All Chris Brown records. It is the clearest message the public can make that what Chris Brown did in assaulting Rihanna is totally unacceptable.

Boycott Chris Brown's records, concerts and appearances.

Gerald Jolly   December 15th, 2009 7:34 pm ET

A. Smith Oregon.

I totally agree with you.

I would go a step further.

Kick the S.O.B. to the curb and into the sewer "WHERE HE BELONGS"

Stacey   December 15th, 2009 10:21 pm ET

Rihanna you go girl... Chris doesn't deserve your friendship.... You are better than that.... All you gotta do is brush the dirt of your shoulders and keep it moving.....

James C. Taliaferro, M.S, QMHP   December 15th, 2009 11:20 pm ET

Did you hit him first Rihanna? If so you are the TRUE culprit. Even though boys don't hit girls, Girls are not supposed to hit boys either!!! THAT is a double standard!!! Think about it!

Gerald Jolly   December 16th, 2009 6:45 pm ET

If you've seen her last photo shoot.

Believe me, she does'nt need that (SNIVELLING CREEP) AROUND HER, AT-ALL.

pat davis   December 17th, 2009 12:28 am ET

Yeah, her last photo shoot is pretty suggestive. I'm sure Chris Brown isn't happy about seeing what used to be his topless, and down on all fours! Talk about sending a message!

HOLLYROCK   July 1st, 2010 12:28 am ET

WHEN MY NEICE TOLD ME THAT RIHANNA DESERVED WHAT HAPPENED TO HER,I WAS THOUROUGHLY SHOCKED AND DEEPLY CONCERNED ABOUT WHY SHE WOULD FEEL THAT WAY.I MYSELF WAS ABUSED AND FOR A LONG TIME I BLAMED MYSELF AND BECAUSED I HAD THAT SELF IMAGE OF MYSELF I LOST DECADES OF HAVING A FULL LIFE.MY ABUSER NEVER REALLY REPENTED FOR WHAT HE DID BECAUSE HE WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF GIVEN THE CHANCE.I HOPE THAT CHRIS HAS REALLY LOOKED AT THE MAN IN THE MIRROR AND IS WILLING TO WORK HARD TO MAKE THAT CHANGE AND NEVER DO WHAT HE DID TO ANYONE ELSE.I AM GIVING HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT AND ENCOURAGEMENT TO BE HONORABLE.ONLY TIME WILL TELL. I WISH HIM AND HER THE BEST BUT RIHANNA,IT WAS NO MORE YOUR FAULT THAN IT WAS MINE.WE LOVE YOU MORE.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter