CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 25, 2009

Donny Osmond is new 'Dancing' champ

Posted: 02:00 PM ET

(CNN) - Donny Osmond's family dinner table may have a unique centerpiece this Thanksgiving holiday: a sparkly, much-perspired-over mirror ball trophy.

Donny Osmond and dancing partner Kym Johnson

Osmond was named champion of this season's edition of "Dancing With the Stars" on Tuesday night, beating out singer Mya, who took second place, and Kelly Osbourne, who finished third.

"You are born to perform," the judges told Osmond earlier during the two-hour season finale of the hit series.

The entertainer beamed as he held up the trophy with his professional dancing partner Kym Johnson, then ran into the audience and brought his sister Marie onto the dance floor to celebrate.

Donny Osmond has been a crowd favorite, working hard to learn his routines, throwing himself fully into the character of each dance and playfully making fun of his age. (At almost 52, he was decades older than some of his competitors.)

His sister Marie, who famously fainted when she was a contestant on an earlier season of "Dancing With the Stars," was a frequent supporter in the audience.

Tuesday's finale featured a last dance from the three finalists. Osmond and Johnson danced a sultry tango that judge Carrie Ann Inaba called "artistry in motion."

(Read more...)

Filed under: Entertainment

Stacey   November 25th, 2009 2:10 pm ET

Congrats, but I was rooting for Mya....

A. Smith, Oregon   November 25th, 2009 2:14 pm ET

What can I say Larry!

There's a lot of Mormon's with Demon Dialers out there in America!

carie   November 25th, 2009 2:35 pm ET

MYA SHOULD HAVE WON!!! OMG!!! R U KIDDING??!! UGH!!

Gramma159   November 25th, 2009 2:44 pm ET

Donny and Marie were always a good pair. Who is this lady Kym? We liked Marie better.

Vallary   November 25th, 2009 4:31 pm ET

I don't think he should have won this. I am sorry but the show is to take someone out of what they do and put them into something different. What did they really change with him. He has been a dancer on his own show, broadway, vegas,,, This is what he does for a living. I feel the same about Mya. She was great. but she is also known for that type dancing and singing,, I think Kelly was change inside and out. And with her partner crying like he was. He was so proud of her and the big thing she was proud of her self. I am not saying Donnie didn't work hard, but this is what he does. I was very let down by the voters and the show. I wish the judges had more say. And yes I did vote, So, I am not one of these that complains about the vote and don't vote, I dont' think he should have won it I really don't

pat davis   November 25th, 2009 6:37 pm ET

I don't think Donny Osmond should have won this. I was actually rooting for Derick Huff and his partner. When they did their futuristic Pasa Doblei' (that spelling isn't correct) I felt that made them top contenders. Derrick took a celebrity and molded her into a dancer. Once they got voted off and not Kelly Osbourne, I was dissapointed. But between Mya and Donnie Osmond, Mya definately should have won this. She got robbed!

Lora Ottawa Canada   November 25th, 2009 7:11 pm ET

I though Mya was going to win it.....but if anyone else has to.. Donny is deserving....for a 50 year old he did an excellent job!

Congrats Donny! : )

chris   November 25th, 2009 8:40 pm ET

I'm happy Donny won – although the other contestants were great too. Mya was probably the best technically, but Donny was so entertaining (and pretty amazing considering his age). If they (the show's producers) only wanted to consider the technical aspects of the dancing they would not allow the public to vote, only the dance experts. Donny had heart!

JBM   November 25th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

Cograts to Donny! He is a professional entertainer, but not a professional dancer so he deserves to win as much as anyone. He always said thank you to every compliment, took direction and criticism quite well. Mya just didn't come across as humble and kind. Kelly was great. It will be interesting to see if she has changed in any way or if it was all just for the show.

Raychil   November 25th, 2009 11:37 pm ET

I'm glad Donny won although I was rooting for Maya. 50% of the score comes from viewer votes so I guess enough supporters didn't vote for her. I am sure the judges had her winning it.

Nicole S. -- North Carolina   November 26th, 2009 1:07 am ET

I like Donny a whole lot, but Mya and Dmitry should have won. After all, it is "Dancing With the Stars."

Mya was the better dancer - hands down!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter