CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 11, 2009

Sammy Sosa says he's not trying to look like Michael Jackson

Posted: 01:14 AM ET

By Paul Sullivan Chicago Tribune

sammy sosa savedSammy Sosa said he's using a "bleaching cream" to soften his skin and is not trying to change his pigmentation.

"I'm not a racist," he told ESPN Deportes.

Sosa, in his first public remarks since the famous photos became public, said he's not trying to look like Michael Jackson:

"What happened was that I had been using the cream for a long time and that, combined with the bright TV lights, made my face look whiter than it really is. I don't think I look like Michael Jackson," he said to ESPN Deportes.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live

Toni   November 11th, 2009 1:25 am ET

Well buddy......Michael wasnt a racist either. His problem was a little worse than yours....he had a disease. Your using it to "SOFTEN" your skin? Nobody ever believed Michael...what makes you think they are going to believe you!!!! I would take it as a compliment if someone told you that you were trying to be like Michael Jackson. 🙂

Stacey   November 11th, 2009 1:26 am ET

Michael's name does not need to be brought up in this article or with this story.... So let me guess it's alright for this man to bleach his skin, but Michael got tormented for having vitiligo.... Michael I will defend you any day of the week.... Like I said Michael's name does not need to be associated with this story.....

Toni   November 11th, 2009 1:30 am ET

Stacey...I agree with you. I am sooooo sick of his name being dragged into everybody elses dirty laundry. But, I guess the media have to find SOME way to still torment him......they just use other people to do it!!

Lucero (Mexico)   November 11th, 2009 1:56 am ET

Enough!
PLEASE THE MEDIA:
Leave MICHAEL alone.

MEXICO LOVES MJ!!

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:06 am ET

why did they have to mention michael in this article? he had vitiligo people. does this guy mean that michael was a racist? what a jerk.

still me just a new name   November 11th, 2009 2:18 am ET

Why mention Michael? Michael had vitiligo something medical something he had no control over. This man is trying to "soften" his skin with bleachng cream? I thought Oil of Olay would take care of that. Please..no one can ever look like Michael...he was one of a kind..totally awesome !!

carebear   November 11th, 2009 2:19 am ET

My last two posts were deleted due to the videos and link about vitiligo. Indeed, Michael has this condition. I'll continue to 'be there for you,' Michael (believe in you!). I pray that these meanspirited people will one day 'leave you alone. '

Videos were: Will you be there and leave me alone (see you tube)

American Academy of Dermatology has an excellent page about vitiligo.

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:22 am ET

who is this Sammy Sosa anyway? I have never heard of him before.

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:25 am ET

This article is another pathetic attempt to trash michael but the fans will always love him and we know the truth.

carebear   November 11th, 2009 2:26 am ET

There is only one Michael and no one can be like him, Sammy Sosa, no one!!!

Believe in Miracles and in love .... L.O.V.E.

carebear   November 11th, 2009 2:31 am ET

@ elly ...

Sammy Sosa is a retired baseball player.

He’s most likely jealous of Michael’s talents and fine looks.

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:33 am ET

what does a guy have to do to be left alone?

carebear   November 11th, 2009 2:35 am ET

@elly

"what does a guy have to do to be left alone?'

Buy out the media, 'own them' ... all papers, etc.

still me just a new name   November 11th, 2009 2:37 am ET

Sammy Sosa "I don't think I look like Michael Jackson," he said to ESPN Deportes"
_____________

Honey...... please......... we don't either !!

Michael was gorgeous!!!

Lori - Justice For Michael   November 11th, 2009 2:38 am ET

Sammy- only in your dreams would you be able to look as beautiful and magnificent as Michael Jackson.

JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL
LOVE LIVES FOREVER
“YOU CAN’T FOOL THE FANS”

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:39 am ET

@ carebear

What?

carebear   November 11th, 2009 2:42 am ET

@ elly

If Michael were to own the media this nasty business would have to stop.

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:44 am ET

@ carebear

okey.

carebear   November 11th, 2009 2:44 am ET

Off to bed for me. Have a goodnight, and please keep fighting for Michael.

Keep the faith!
Believe in miracles ... and Love ... L.O.V.E.

elly   November 11th, 2009 2:46 am ET

@ carebear

good night.

elly   November 11th, 2009 3:17 am ET

I think we should ignor this article and don't post any comments here, so this is my last comment on this one. I'm done with this stupid article.

still me just a new name   November 11th, 2009 3:18 am ET

elly
____________

Same here. No more comments on this blog.

Stu,Hungary   November 11th, 2009 4:02 am ET

Michael didnt try to look whit eider,and he was not a racist eider.

They Don't Care About Us   November 11th, 2009 4:13 am ET

Michael does not need to mention in this context!
And anyway, who cares what color skin?
The skin should be warm))) and all!

Lynn-IL   November 11th, 2009 4:18 am ET

And this is why we cubs fans said good riddance to you long ago Mr. Sosa!! Why would you even make this comparison? It's time once again for you to open your mouth and insert your foot.

They Don't Care About Us   November 11th, 2009 6:45 am ET

Mr. King, thank you because every day in your blog
goes by without Michael! (one way or another)
You want as , but it is encouraging, and hope dies last, as you know...
Again thank you!

Diane in Minneapolis   November 11th, 2009 8:28 am ET

No, Mr Sosa, you certainly don't look like Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson had vitiligo and discoid lupus which caused white blotches and red scaly rashes on his face. As a result of treatment for those diseases, he sometimes wore masks, had to use an umbrella, and his skin became lighter.

It seems quite unnecessary for you to have invoked Michael Jackson in your explanation. Baseless comments and comparisons like this continue to damage his legacy.

Again, no worries at all. There is absolutely no comparison between you and Michael Jackson.

Susan62509   November 11th, 2009 8:36 am ET

Mr. Sosa, if you wish to use a bleaching cream, that is fine with me. What ever makes YOU happy is what counts. There are many people who darken their skin so they look tan. There are also men & women who get breast enlargement and others get breast reduction. Whatever makes you feel comfortable within yourself is what counts.

The media should not have compared you to MJ because you do not have a skin disease.

Victoria J   November 11th, 2009 8:59 am ET

I am appalled at a man of color, such as Mr. Sosa, to have allowed Michael Jackson to continue to be a part of the conversation as a means of a decoy to get the heat off himself. Michael is not here to defend himself, and I might add if he were here, Mr. Sosa, he would be the perfect diplomatic gentleman he always was and take up your cause. He would not defect on you as you did on him. It is surprising to me that you handled your discomfort with yourself by putting down Michael who had a skin disease. I have vitiligo, too, and I understand completely Michael's situation. I respect whatever you want to do with your skin color for your own reasons. What I do not respect is you insinuating in any way that Michael's reasons for lightening his skin were dishonorable. Just answer the question and get on with your life. Unfortunately, you showed your true colors, Mr. Sosa, with your comments and that reflects the essence of your heart.

just a hint   November 11th, 2009 9:12 am ET

Dear Sammy,

No one in their right mind would think of comparing YOU to Michael Jackson. Come on...

Love~Lives~Forever~   November 11th, 2009 9:19 am ET

Okay this story is just plain bizzarre. And I will leave it at that .

Judie   November 11th, 2009 9:24 am ET

Ah Sammy who? Sammy has been ... has to create his own story to keep in the public.Good choice Sammy we like you less now, more than ever. Makes sense to me.

Love~Lives~Forever~   November 11th, 2009 9:29 am ET

Isn't Sammy the lad who had cork in his bat, in order to achieve all those home runs some ten years ago?

Cheating gets you nowhere. And the comparison to Michael is unjust. I still can not find a good reason for this story, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one.

Sandy-Houston   November 11th, 2009 10:06 am ET

You are right, Mr Sosa. There is NO comparison between you and Michael Jackson.

Michael had class.

Mila   November 11th, 2009 10:33 am ET

Sammy Sosa,
I have no idea who you are but you're obviously neither intelligent nor kind-hearted so I'm not going to bother getting to know you.

I just want you to know that if you looked like Michael Jackson you'd be one hell of a good looking man and it's lucky you weren't trying to look like him because you're failing miserably at it.

Sandy-Houston   November 11th, 2009 11:11 am ET

Victoria J 8:59 am
You continue to touch my soul with your heartfelt and to the point statements. And I admire your bravery in sharing your own experience with vitiligo. Dealing with such a visible condition in our unsympathetic and ignorant world is not easy. And Michael could write the book on that subject.

Cali MJ Fan   November 11th, 2009 11:42 am ET

Hasn't society and the media done enough to Michael? I am appalled at Sosa for even implying anything in Michael's direction. Michael's condition was caused by an illness, whereas Sosa's is for vanity. Sure, it is reasonable to think Michael tried to even out the color to the lightest patches– but Sosa did his 'rejuvination' for VANITY. He had a choice.

As for the implication that Sosa looks anything like Michael is absurd. Michael was beautiful and very photogenic which is more than can be said for Sosa. Honestly.

This is just wrong on so many levels!!!! Sosa, you really should apologize for your statement.

Luda   November 11th, 2009 11:48 am ET

*******************************************

No. Not even in a dream... Michael is to unique!

I can't believe they compare his situation to Michael's one... are people so stupid they really can't admit Michael has vitiligo.... they're being ridiculous .... Ok. 25 years ago this disease was not really known to the public, we can understand this, but now in 2009 it's simply ridiculous to keep denying it.

Luda   November 11th, 2009 12:04 pm ET

Sorry, meant " TOO unique".... typed too fast! lol

akshara   November 11th, 2009 12:17 pm ET

yes Mr. sosa...U are def. not MICHAEL JACKSON......

he was beyond all....the kindest soul in the planet

lola   November 11th, 2009 1:20 pm ET

No one compares to Michael in any way, shape or form............The world lost the best.......some people are just too blind to see it. But, to his billions of fans, we feel his loss every day and will continue to in the years ahead.

MsNomerN Az   November 11th, 2009 1:28 pm ET

white people like to look brown so they tan. Brown people try to look white....why for god's sake....black and brown skin is so much nicer.

Jim Carroll internetfree press.com   November 11th, 2009 2:11 pm ET

WHY NOT!

WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM CHINA? THE SAME THING
WE COULD HAVE LEARNED FROM HITLER, BUT DIDN'T.
WE COULD LEARN THAT YOU HAVE TO CREATE MONEY
BEFORE YOU CAN CREATE EQUAL VALUE. Goods and services
is what has value; not money. While the world wallowed in depression Hitler took over the banks and created the money necessary to bring people resources and natural resources together and produced goods and services which have real value. China has a nationalized banking system. They produce the money they need to produce goods and services, and buy up the USA. We better learn that MIXTURISM is the common sense approach: business and government working together to meet the needs and desires of all the people. WE NEED TO STOP BEING BLINDED BY THE THINGS WE DON'T LIKE AND SEE THE GOOD WE NEED. WE CAN NATIONALIZE THE BANKS AND STILL BE A GREAT
DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY. IT WOULDN'T BE UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
TO READ MORE GO TO THE INTERNETFREEPRESS.COM

jan   November 11th, 2009 2:33 pm ET

this stinks channel 4 had a programme called bleach,nip,tuck and within the first 5 minutes they harped on about MJ.

Stinks! Stinks Stinks!

jan   November 11th, 2009 2:35 pm ET

No make up on that you tube but looks great!

dawnmarie   November 11th, 2009 2:57 pm ET

you are no trying to be like Michael, impossible! Michael had vitiligo – a skine disorder – you are just bleaching your skin so do not say you are not like Micahel how dare you compare yourself do you own thing and leave Michael out of it. silly people

lex   November 11th, 2009 4:21 pm ET

michael had vitiligo which mad his skin lighter and sammy sosa is "softing" his skin. michael has nothng 2 do w/ this article nor should his name be associated with the word bleach

carebear   November 11th, 2009 4:23 pm ET

@Jan

Handsome, Michael, thank you for adding this video. Just love looking into those beautiful, big brown, kind eyes. Window to the soul indeed. Michael is a kindhearted soul.

Lynn   November 11th, 2009 5:54 pm ET

I say whatever. I am white and as someone mentioned above and I go tanning to get some color. So if you want to be lighter go for it! Why not? People color their hair, workout at the gym, have plastic surgery etc. all because they want to look a little different. This is no different. I just read an article that skin lightening is a growing business in the world. It is common in the East and on the rise in the West.

Luda   November 11th, 2009 5:57 pm ET

November 11th, 2009 2:35 pm
No make up on that you tube but looks great!
*************************************************

He did not need make up to look great, he already looked great...

Cocovelvet   November 11th, 2009 5:57 pm ET

Who is this big bear of an idiot anyway ??? He looks as stupid as his comments about his reasons for lightining his skin........ such a lie anyway about the TV lights lightening his colour even more......

Luda   November 11th, 2009 6:05 pm ET

I just read an article that skin lightening is a growing business in the world.
********************************************

Curious how they don't bash people who are having skin lightening (a growing business!) but Michael who's NOT having this, they just don't leave him in peace... those people have a serious problem of judgment....

Lynn   November 11th, 2009 6:08 pm ET

Coco

I think he was saying that the bright TV lights make him look lighter than he really is in the above picture. True? Who knows!

Lynn   November 11th, 2009 6:11 pm ET

@Luda

I agree. They were relentless with MJ and he did not do it for cosmetic purposes. He had vitiligo. Well at least now people are actually starting to be awareand acknowledge his Vitiligo. Its just a shame it took his death for people to stop their judgements and really look into MJ

Maria   November 11th, 2009 6:39 pm ET

Lynn (5:54 pm) – completely agree.
I feel it's about double standard somehow – if I want to darken my skin, nobody will accuse me that I'm ashamed of my heritage and race, but black people are constantly told to be proud of their ethnic features and not to try to change them. It's unfair that the white standard of beauty makes many non-white people to feel unhappy. But if someone wants to bleach their skin, to straighten or dye their hair or maybe modify their nose, this is their right. It's not about self-hate or being racist. Everyone has the right to choose what color and shape suits them better.

Marmoura   November 11th, 2009 7:16 pm ET

I WISH someone would tell me I'm like Michael. He's wonderful.

Patty Anderson   November 11th, 2009 8:42 pm ET

Damn Media just gotta hound people and make up their own speculations!!
Maybe someone should hound their personal lives.

Raychil   November 11th, 2009 8:49 pm ET

If he does have vitiligo there's no shame in admitting it. Either way he is going to ridiculed just like Michael Jackson was even though he said he had the disorder. It's better to speak truthfully, if he isn't right now.

Letta   November 11th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

This is sicking. Why are they comparing this man with michael, neither case is alike. This man wanted to lighten his skin, michael came with him actually doing it on his own.

LOVE & PEACE

8-29-58 FROM USA   November 11th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

hello everyone. i agree saying to someone you're just like michael jackson sounds like a true compliment to me. i would be honored if someone thought that i had a big heart and was good~hearted like he was. i don't see the comparison between the men other than both of them being black and having skin that is or was changing in pigmen tation. other than that there is nothing. michael was not just playing around with his skin color until it suited him. michael had diseases that caused his skin problems. and on top of that michael was most definately a man of class. i know because i'm a fan from way back. but i have my serious doubts about sosa. first that thing with the baseball bat now this. if i were a young man i would much rather look like a young michael jackson than a young sosa. he may not have been the most masculine of men. but especially when michael was a young man his looks were awfully good. keep protecting michaels legacy and reputation. keep on spreading Gods l.o.v.e.

antonio-elizabeth,NJ   November 11th, 2009 10:51 pm ET

No more Sosa please.

Tom Joyce   November 11th, 2009 11:41 pm ET

The media needs to leave Sammy Sosa alone. If he wants to bleach his skin leave him alone. If he wants to look like Michael Jackson leave him alone. It is no one's business what he does with or to his skin. Leave him alone. Just like you should have left Michael Jackson alone.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter