CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 9, 2009

LKL WEB EXCLUSIVE - Sniper Police Chief: "I've Seen Enough Death"

Posted: 07:50 PM ET

He became an almost daily fixture on TV sets around the country during three traumatic weeks in October 2002.  Snipers were shooting innocent victims in the Washington, D.C. area.  The 14 incidents were random.  16 people were shot, 10 fatally.  Area residents were afraid to go to the mall, to school, some to even leave their homes.  Then Montgomery County, Maryland Police Chief Charles Moose was the public face of the investigation.  His emotional and sometimes contentious briefings made Moose a celebrity.  But controversy came along with his public persona.

Charles-MooseIn advance of Tuesday night's scheduled execution of convicted sniper John Allen Muhammad, we spoke with Chief Moose in an LKL Web Exclusive interview.

LKL Blog: What are your feelings about the execution of John Allen Muhammad?

Chief Moose: We live in a nation of laws.  The people of Virginia made their decision based on the evidence.  It's good to see the system works, and the people's will is going to be carried out.

LKL Blog: But how do you personally feel about capital punishment?

Moose: I believe in it, because it's the law in Virginia.  But if for some reason people decided we wouldn't do that any more, it wouldn't bother me.

LKL Blog: Were you invited to witness the execution?

Moose: I was not, but if I was, I wouldn't be interested.  I think I've seen enough death.  I don't need to watch someone else die.

LKL Blog: What are your feelings about John Allen Muhammad?

Moose: I'm not sure I have personal feelings about that individual.  His crimes were horrible.  I'm pleased they were captured, and the crimes and violence stopped (the other sniper was 17-year-old Lee Boyd Malvo).  His execution is a reminder, when you do something, you have to pay the price.  I hope this execution is a deterrent, and sends the message that this type of behavior is unacceptable.

LKL Blog: Did this ever become personal for you?  Muhammad allegedly told a prison guard he killed a teenager just to get to you.

Moose: I felt it was personal when they had the audacity to shoot a child.  But in terms of what he's talking about, it wasn't personal for me.  It was my job to keep the community safe, and bring them to justice.

LKL Blog: Some reports have said you have "conflicted" feelings because you're African-American, and so were the snipers.  Any truth to that?

Moose: No.  We worked very hard to keep our investigation color-blind.  Their race doesn't have anything to do with it now, and didn't then.  The only confusion may be that a number of African-Americans I talked to were disappointed the snipers were African-American; their sense of pride was hurt that African-Americans could do something like this.  That's what people have said to me.  But race has never been a concern of mine in any crime investigation.  Experience has taught me all types of poeple, of all races and genders can do horrible things.

LKL Blog: Looking back on those three weeks, what are your emotions now?

Charles-Moose-2Moose: My initial thought is how proud I am of all the men and women that came together, from all the agencies involved in the investigation.  Some people think three weeks was a long time, and 13 (sic) shootings was a lot.  But the reality is to solve a crime in three weeks is commendable.  My second thought is it was a scary time, and I'm pleased we were able to capture the shooters.

LKL Blog: You assumed a very public role during the investigation, sometimes bringing you a lot of criticism.  Do you regret that?

Moose: I learned from my time in the military, maximum disclosure with minimum delay is very important.  If it happened today, becasue of the new forms of communication, blogging, tweeting, it would be even more important today to keep the flow of information going. Misinformation can be harmful.  If you don't get the information out, people will make things up.  So it's important to get the facts out accurately and quickly.

LKL Blog: While this was going on, you told people to be looking out for a white van (it turned out the snipers were in a blue sedan).  How did that come about?

Moose: One of the things we did during the investigation was make a commitment not to ignore or downplay information from a witness.  We all like to think from shows like CSI, crimes are always solved by forensic evidence, but the key is witnesses.  Witnesses said they saw white vans near the shootings.  We put that information out, and unfortunately it took on a life of it's own.

LKL Blog: You lost your job as police chief because you decided to write a book about the incident.  Any regrets?

Moose: I'm glad I wrote the book, but I do miss the Montgomery County Police Department.  Things happen in life, and you walk through different doors.  Nothing stayed the same for me after that incident, but I don't regret writing the book.

LKL Blog: What did you learn from the sniper case?

Moose: A number of things.  First is, ask for help.  This seemed to be a bigger case than we could handle as a county police department.  Asking for help was not something I would usually do, so learning that was important.  Second, is the importance of life, and living it to its fullest.  Going through that experience reinforced this, and that sense is still strong in me.  Those victims never did anything to have their lives taken from them.  That has stuck with me.  Unfortunately I can't help them, but I can try to live a better life because of what happened.

LKL Blog: Is there anything the public can take away from this incident?

Moose: The idea that we can recover from terrible situations if we work together.  If you look at the lives of the victims-families, they have suffered, but they've moved forward.  They are role models for difficult times.  I'm not in touch with them, but I think of them often.

NOTE: Charles Moose will be a guest on LKL Tuesday night, when we will be broadcasting live during the execution of John Allen Muhammad.

Filed under: Crime • LKL Web Exclusive

Lori - Justice For Michael   November 9th, 2009 10:48 pm ET

Hi Chief Moose. We miss you here in Portland.

Parker J   November 9th, 2009 10:50 pm ET

I feel very sorry for the family of this evil man.

bett gray   November 9th, 2009 10:52 pm ET

How are you doing now? Do you feel this had a great deal with your choice of job you do now? and what do you do for a living now that you have written your book?

ldyck   November 9th, 2009 10:57 pm ET

You did a wonderful job and I am still sorry that you lost your job. Your whole police department did an outstanding job, including you. God bless you for the years of public service you gave.

Jennifer   November 9th, 2009 11:03 pm ET

I just wanted to say thank you. I remember that horrible time. you made my son and i feel safe. 🙂

Terry, TX   November 9th, 2009 11:59 pm ET

Thank you Chief Moose for your service.....I apologize for the stupid questions you were subjected to by Larry.

Now lets put the lights out on this pig of a human being...next Hassan.

Joseph Randall   November 10th, 2009 12:03 am ET

If Charles Moose really cared (backed then) about solving the sniper case, then he should have taken the time to speak with me. If he had, then he could have caught the sniper in the first week of his crime spree rather than the 23 days it did take. The true motive behind John muhammed's crime was to leave clues that proved he was responsible for the anthrax letters, which was mailed one year earlier(Oct.2001).

The crime committed by the DC Sniper had nothing to do with his ex-wife, it was simply to leave clues that he was the person responsible for mailing the anthrax letters back in Oct. 2001. That is why he chose the month of October (2002) to commit his crime. His first act (Shooting the "Michael's" store window) was to tell the police to follow the clues, to get attention from the local media and because the anthrax letters began with words. That is backed up by the fact that all his victims were shot outside and with one bullet... proving he had excellent aim...and by the fact that there are more stationary targets in a store than there are outside. Even the angle of the bullethole was way to high for him to have been aiming at anyone. His first six victims (all shot in a span of two days) were to get the bulk of his victims out of the way. Then all he had to do was shoot one person each on his attended days. His first 11 victims were shot on October 2,3,4,7,9,11, and the 14th, totaling 9 dead and 2 injured. 9+2=11 for 9/11, and 11 victims to draw attention to that fact. He didn't shoot anyone on the 8th and 10th, sort of as a parenthesis around the days 9 and 11. The boy he shot at the school was because one of the anthrax letters had a fictituous return addres of an elementary school. The 5th & 6th of October, as well as the 12th & 13th were on a Saturday and Sunday. Other than Tuesday and Thursday (which are separated by Wednesday) Saturday and Sunday are the only other days that begin with the same letter and are side by side. The T's in Tuesday and Thursday aren't pronounced the same, but the "esses" in Saturday & Sunday are. Which, to him, was a representation of twins (The Twin Towers). His first 6 victims were also to gain national attention by the media, which he made sure of by shooting the last of the sixth in Washington DC. The Tarot Cards with the word "Death" in bold letters, were because the anthrax letters had the word Death also written on them in bold letters. Those are just a small fraction of the clues he left But when the media or police didn't pick up on them, he then became distraught. And that's what led to his 13th & 14th victim, and his asking for money, money he knew he would never get. He had his friend name his as a suspect so his friend could collect the reward. If his friend had suspected John Muhammed to be the person committing those crimes then why did it take him more than 20 days to call the police? And why didn't John Muhammed make sure he killed his ex-wife before asking for the money, especially to get a hint as to whether or not police suspected that to be his motive? John Muhammed intentionally involved the FBI, as well as a wide variety of other Law Enforcement agencies, something no person would do in an extortion plot. If Charles Moose had of listened to me back then, he could have arrested the sniper in the first few days of his crime rather than the 23 days it did take. I tried to tell Charles Moose to look for a car or truck with an outerstate license plate (especially one with a New Jersey plate), because that is where the FBI said the anthrax letters originated from. And New Jersey plates were on the car John Muhammed was caught in.

Harris Corbett   November 10th, 2009 2:07 am ET

These are sad times. I agree in that he should not be given the right to live after what he has done. I also wonder how we can ever prevent people from doing such horrible things to one another. What makes a person snap or whatever brings about terror. Nothing is ever resolved by fear. We must find better ways of using the intelligence that God has given us.

We must consider everyones thoughts and remember we are all equals. No matter the education level or finances. Until we get this right we will always be faced with individuals who think this is the only way out.

May God be with us all.

V B   November 10th, 2009 2:28 am ET

Mankind what has happen to us that another human being could become so evil and commit such a horiffic crime. My prayers go out to the victim's family and Muhammad's children.
I also commend you for the work you did while in Portland and during the snipper crisis. i hope that you are somehow connected with law enforcement making a difference in a community and encouraging the men and women of law enforcement that they can and should make a difference in the communities in which they serve. You will always have a special place in the heart of citizens and police officers in Portland. Hope you and Sandy are well and you will come to Ptld and set a stage for folks to see both of you. How can people contact you without invading your privacy or space? May God Protect and Guide.

Theresa Dunn   November 10th, 2009 2:15 pm ET

Chief Moose really impressed me, back when the snipers were active. I was living in Northern Virginia and would bob and weave when going to and from my car, trying to be less of a target. I only hoped that we might be a bit farther from the highway than the snipers would venture. Some of the people, who were killed, were in places that were frequented by friends of mine. The entire time of the killing spree was nerve-wracking. The calm voice of Chief Moose on the nightly news really helped. We knew the snipers would be caught. He made us feel that way.

Richiehood - Nigeria   November 10th, 2009 2:33 pm ET

To everything that happen there is an answer,but come to think of it,there most be a reason why sniper act the way he did, but the big question there is, are u guys sure that after he came back from the golf war he was not offended by the American government or otherwise ?
But i think this guy has a more reasonable reason for his act, BUT I THINK AMERICANS KNOWS WHY HE ACTED THE HE DID, BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS ALWAYS LEFT UNTOLD
COME TO THINK OF IT, NO MAN WE ACT THE WAY HE DID WITHOUT KNOW GOOD REASON,

Zita Burke   November 10th, 2009 3:06 pm ET

I am from eastern Canada and i followed this case very closely. The horror and fear that this man put people through was almost too hard to bear,sometimes I would have to turn the T.V off, but not long would go by before i would just have to turn it back on......I felt so much for all of these families.
I will be watching tonight with a certain amount of comfort for the families.....but also realizing that the pain will always be there. And realizing that one life for another life is not the answer.

brandy capp   November 10th, 2009 4:01 pm ET

Thank you Charles Moose..
We miss you..
When will we see you again?

NOAH   November 10th, 2009 4:04 pm ET

Yo Larry!!
That's old school, the Hebrew way, an eye for an eye!
Your old pal,
NOAH

Kathryn   November 10th, 2009 5:14 pm ET

Why did writing a book cost him his job when you have sloppy women with little self respect coming on prime time tv to talk about their every sexual desire, fantasy and orgasm in the shower and otherwise, write a book about it and people's stomach do not turn? They go out and buy that bloody slackness? The fact that the officer wrote the book probably helped him to handle the depth of the emotional trauma he suffered or how deeply psychologically and emotionally involved he was with what was happening to the people and community he was there to protect..

Kathryn   November 10th, 2009 5:17 pm ET

Rebekah   November 10th, 2009 5:17 pm ET

I'm so very sorry for the victims and their families. But, I am always amazed we still employ capital punishment in America. It's horrible that anyone should die; taking one life for another does not solve anything. I will say two prayers tonight: one for the victims and their families, and one for John Muhammad.

Mike in NYC   November 10th, 2009 5:40 pm ET

Moose's contributions to the sniper investigation were greatly hyped-up.

learique   November 10th, 2009 6:00 pm ET

It's unfortunate that someone can commit such crimes and not feel guilty. i just read another article related to the dc snipper and it said that he still maintains his innocence. i think that it rediculous! what type of mind set must an individual have to be so in-humane?.....he should definately be punished for his actions. John Muhammad took 10 innocent people from this world and now he will pay for his actions. even with his death, the families and friends of the victims will never be content.......justice will only be served!!!

Ross   November 10th, 2009 6:07 pm ET

Joseph Randall- Dude, you need medication. You are having a complete break from reality. Just the fact that you took that much time to write all of your conspiracy theory out is a strong indicator you have lost your flippin mind.

learique   November 10th, 2009 6:16 pm ET

This is rediculous and i am outraged. i don't understand how someone can kill 10people and still maintain his innocence. John Muhammad should be punished for such an in-humane act. even with his death, the family and friends of each victim will never reach a point of contentment. the only thing that will be served is justice.

Bob Stronks   November 10th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

Chief Moose....... you were a credit to your profession during this most horrible time. Thank you.

irene   November 10th, 2009 9:43 pm ET

Chief Moose: We miss you in Rockville too! I have never admired a person more than I did you duing the crisis. You represented everything a fine officer would, yet you showed your human side too. Your departure was Marylands loss. I wish only the very best for you and your family.

Derrick   November 10th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

This man knew the seed's he planted from beginning to end!
He had arrived at his inevitable conclusion, well before the first shot was fired, Sad, was his induction of his wayward accomplice, but at some point he too knew his folly & consequence.
Well, he’s resting as easy as he made everyone in the DC area feel!
Nuff said.

Brian   November 10th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

It's about time for sentences to be carried out; too many criminals serve less than their full sentence. too many of them got early release only to violate others' rights again... enough is enough. we need to do this for the victims regardless of how anyone else feel about the death penalty.... who care how much this may hurt. It's great if it hurts a lot... maybe next nuts will think twice and decide against similar actions in the future... precise basis for our civil society and laws – equal inconvenience for all.

Kathy Isabell   November 10th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

I'm sorry to hear that Chief Moose lost his job over writing a book. I guess when you are a public servant the powers that be just can't stand a person being creative or (in their view) making a spectacle of themselves. That's too bad. I hope the book was a smashing success, and I hope the process was healing for the Chief. I'm originally from Maryland, and I'm sure the people of Montgomery County and the DC metro are grateful for his efforts in finding the killers. Best of wishes to him & his family, and in all his future endeavors.

Peace, Kathy in Kansas City, Kansas

Heath   November 10th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

Please can we get this over with it is such a depressing story. What this individual did is obviously unforgivable and hopefully tonight the familes of the victims will feel a sense of justice being delivered.

JMJ   November 10th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

I will remain forever grateful to Chief Moose and the work he and all of law enforcement did. I'm sorry that the book caused him to loose his job, but I understood why he choose to write it. I have an autographed copy.
Best wishes in all that you do. This was an awful time for all of us in Montgomery County.

Heretic1   November 10th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

TTT   November 10th, 2009 10:21 pm ET

Now come on Larry. Would you ask (or have you ever asked) a white law enforcement authority if he felt conflicted about bringing a white criminal to justice? Yes, that is a stupid question and so was the question asked about race to Chief Moose

Mildred   November 10th, 2009 10:27 pm ET

Thank you, Chief Moose. I was in Laurel, MD, visiting during that time. It was truly frightening and your presence was very comforting and calming to people there.

Benway   November 10th, 2009 10:27 pm ET

Joseph Randall you are now my hero. That was absolutely brilliant satire. Bravo, sir!

NdF   November 10th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

Hi Chief Moose. You were great in Portland, and created some terrific unifying community programs that still endure, keeping neighborhood citizens safe and secure. I hope this new (if disappointing) turn in your life culminates in a fulfilling journey we may all be able to read about one day. Good luck to you and your family.

jj   November 10th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

CHIEF MOOSE, WAS NOT THAT ADMIRED WHEN HE WAS IN PORTLAND.. IN FACR WE DROVE HIM OUT OF HERE! HE IS A LIAR, AND THERES A MORE PERSONAL CONNECTION HERE BETWEEN HIM AND THE SNIPER. THEY BOTH WENT TO THE SAME MILITARY SCHOOL, AND KNEW EACHOTHER. THATS PERSONAL!

Deborah   November 10th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

Hi Chief Moose;
Had contact with you via Police Futurists International years back; hope you are doing well, I always found you to be a very kind man.

Allan Noonan   November 10th, 2009 10:38 pm ET

As an African American male, I find it very sad that there were 3 AA men cheering the execution on Mr. Mohammad. As a physician, I have serious concerns about his mental health status and the failure to consider it. As a human being, I understand that murder is murder and the state prefers to murder Black men. Your coverage of this event could have been balanced – there are many Americans who do not agree with capital punishment especially for those with mental illness.
Allan Noonan, MD

RAY   November 10th, 2009 10:42 pm ET

you are right, the death penalty is too easy for him

instead, i say he is paralyzed for life and sat in front of a t.v. where a tape is played over and over of the victims lives

Charzy   November 10th, 2009 10:43 pm ET

As aperson whose mother was murdered, I remember the DA asking me what I thought about the possible sentence, I replied that I do not believe in the death penalty, In my opinion that will not give any family member "closure" it is revenge and nothing more than state sanctioned murder.

kevin macdonald   November 10th, 2009 10:45 pm ET

Barry   November 10th, 2009 10:47 pm ET

Justice has been served for all affected by this tradegy. May all continue to heal. There such a sigh of relief, it's evident in the many hosted celebration parties throughout the DMV.

Allan Noonan   November 10th, 2009 10:48 pm ET

It was appalling to see three AA men cheering the execution of another – one with a serious question of mental illness. Murder is murder even when done by the state, and we have shown again that AA males and the mentally ill are major targets.
Allan Noonan, MD

Mark C   November 10th, 2009 10:51 pm ET

*** I agree with peter greenspun, but we cant keep people in concrete boxes for 30-50 years. we can't afford it ! ***

Then you are poorly informed. It costs more to execute a prisoner than to keep him in jail for life.

Victor Changlee   November 10th, 2009 11:05 pm ET

Those who kill and those who kill those who kill do not understand or respect the gift of life and death- they are mere takers of life and not givers…Who is a giver of life?
When they stoned Stephen he call on God to received his spirit and then fell on his knees and cried in a loud voice for God not to charge the people who was stoning him and he fell asleep (died, see Acts 7:59)

Jan Scholl   November 10th, 2009 11:12 pm ET

Another death will never make any of this closed. It just brings more death and sadness.

Victor Changlee   November 10th, 2009 11:21 pm ET

Lets stop the killing of our fellow human beings...Thou shalt Not Kill (Deuteronomy 5:17)
God said “I KILL, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal
(See Deuteronomy 32:39)
If we could only leave all the killing to a just God!!

Anthony   November 10th, 2009 11:27 pm ET

Thank you Chief Moose you have not been forgotten in the DMV. I think it sucked that MC pushed you out the door.

Kimberly   November 10th, 2009 11:29 pm ET

Murder is wrong, any way you look at it. The death penalty is murder. The United States should take a page from the other civilized nations and abolish the death penalty.

Renee   November 10th, 2009 11:30 pm ET

If the death penalty were a deterent, violent crimes would be decreasing. Instead, we have MORE violence and consistent desensitization to death, blood and crime.

But somehow, we think killing people STOPS others from killing people!

How ignorant and short sighted have we become?

David Wheeler   November 10th, 2009 11:33 pm ET

Thanks, Chief Moose. We miss you here in Montgomery County.

James Fitzroy   November 10th, 2009 11:34 pm ET

The sheer inanity found in most of the comments demonstrate why people should not be allowed to comment at all.

joeseph randall is a idiot   November 10th, 2009 11:44 pm ET

Hey,

Try making sense in your next life.

Tracy C   November 10th, 2009 11:46 pm ET

I am a old psychiatric nurse. If this man was mentally ill, it was antisocial personality disorder- the name given to sociopaths. He was clearly not psychotic, not out of touch with reality, but coldly and calculatedly able to do what he did, without apparent remorse, but for his own amusement. Unfortunately, such people are beyond our help. Best for the world, and even for his poor children, that he is gone.

William   November 10th, 2009 11:51 pm ET

It is truly sad that the ignorant and the misguided have had such a influence on our laws and beliefs in this country. I had a friend who lived in London for three years and I'll never forget her telling me that the view from abroad of who we are as a nation and what we have become sadden her to tears. A nation of so many who think that they are truly less of an beast than others who walk this earth. I'll pray for the misguided Muhammad and his family tonight and I will pray for the innocent victims and their families who suffered at his hand. But my biggest prayer will be for a nation who has lost it soul to the ignorant and the misguided who claim to know so much while knowing so little. Life if precious. We are better than mere takers of life.

shirley Bess   November 10th, 2009 11:51 pm ET

Yes, I watched Larry King's Interview last night with Mohammed's ex-wives, & I tell you, I had a hard time sleeping last night, I got very little sleep really. I found myself praying for Mohammed, asking God to somehow move him to ask for forgiveness. I was so moved about the fact ,that he knew ,that he had only so many hours more to live. I somehow moved Into his mind, wondering what he was feeling, & then, I'm feeling scared for him. I wanted him to be remorseful, I would have felt better, If I felt that he was going to Heaven, rather than Hell. Umh!!! How lonely that must be, I just can't seem to get this scenario out of my mind. Yes, I remember so vividly when he did all these shootings, It was sooooooooooo scary & frightening. It was cold blooded, chilling, & I was sad for all the Victims that were killed & harmed.

elizabeth   November 10th, 2009 11:52 pm ET

Chief Moose, I wish you only the best. I lived in Montgomery County when the shootings were occurring. Looking back, I see it as a frightening time because no one knew who was at risk or when or where a shooting would occur. Your frequent press briefings were invaluable in providing a sense of calmness and purpose during a very trying time.

Keith Davenport   November 10th, 2009 11:56 pm ET

Hi Chief Moose... as always the most professional "individual" I've ever encountered in life. Thanks for being "you" and thanks also for being a friend. Keith

Lloyd   November 11th, 2009 12:04 am ET

It should be no wonder that the USA is met with so many tragedies when it is clearly such a barbaric society that kills its own people.

Lloyd   November 11th, 2009 12:31 am ET

Executing people is no more of a deterrent for others to stop killing people, than war is a deterrent from engaging in future wars. Both are wrong, and until the USA comes to understand and accept that fact, nothing will stop the rapid decline that she is now in as a nation.

laura   November 11th, 2009 12:34 am ET

Thank you Chief Moose! You helped get me through a very hard 3 weeks of living in the DC area, I remember being so terrified and almost ever night there you were on the TV helping all of us get through! I

Rich   November 11th, 2009 12:40 am ET

Moose was a racist chief in Portland who made no secret of his hatred for white people in spite of having married one. His refusal to consider that the shooters might be black cost time and lives. For everyone who thinks Moose is some great hero, they might want to examine his participation in a raid on the Outsiders Motorcycle Club where drugs were proven to have been planted on the club members shot by Portland Police. They might want to research his printed comments in the Oregonian newspaper supporting Oregon's land use laws because they keep people in tightly packed cities where, in Moose's words, "they are easier to control." Moose is a race baiter pure and simple.

Jinn   November 11th, 2009 12:40 am ET

this is very sad, I hope he find peace in heaven, since he now payed for his crime by execution... 🙁

mif991   November 11th, 2009 12:41 am ET

Heretic1 said on November 10th, 2009 10:07 pm ET:

Death penalty is utter barbarism. America's love affair with this supercruel punishment only demonstrates that our country in inherently undercivilised. And shame to Virginia and its current governor.******** There is no love affair Heretic with death penalty. I respect your opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your hyperbole. Uncivilized is what you find in the extremist Islamic countries and where you are considered guilty until proven innocent (China). Supercruel is what Malvo and this piece of crap did to unsuspecting victims. Why don't you criticize those Countries?

Patrick   November 11th, 2009 12:55 am ET

LCSWquilter   November 11th, 2009 12:56 am ET

Chief Moose,
Thanks for all you did for those of us who live in the DC area and for speaking up courageously to the Washington Post when their actions were threatening police progress in the investigation. I read your book and to this day you remain a hero to me for your leadership skills and dedication to community safety. Many thanks.

BelovedOnline   November 11th, 2009 12:59 am ET

I'll BET he's seen enough death. I don't know how this courageous and fine man even gets up and out of his bed each morning. I can only imagine...

How long must it have taken for him to laugh again?

The human brain was not designed to cope with this much stress, this much atrocity, this unimaginable suffering. It was built strong, but it is breakable and yet, somehow, people keep marching on.

I haven't read the book but I can only surmise that he must have had the BEST team of people around him, supporting him.

We up here in Canada don't believe in execution but by God I do hope that that man prayed for forgiveness. I know they say that what goes around comes around, but I couldn't wish the horror that must be waiting on the other side ON MY WORST ENEMY if he did not.

Well, that's all I have to say about that, oh, and,
Hail to the Chief!!! What a HERO!

ml2   November 11th, 2009 1:13 am ET

Joseph Randall, if you are not seeing a psychiatrist I strongly suggest you do so. Your long essay/conspiracy theory shows elements of a delusional disorder and possibly a mild form of paranoid schizophrenia. While I'm not a psychiatrist, I am a medical doctor and the thought process in your essay sounds very similar to many patients I've met with delusional disorders and / or certain types of schizophrenia. I hope you seek help.

leapfrog   November 11th, 2009 1:14 am ET

We put animals to death that threaten humans. A mountain lion kills a human and we hunt it down and kill it. There is no difference between a rabid wolf or a rampaging lion and John Allen Muhammad. Since John Allen Muhammad had these deadly skill and a prediliction to kill, it is in our best interests for the safety of others to put a rabid animal like him down. That's what societies do....band together to defeat the outside threat. There was no humanity in his acts, ergo he wasn't human. There's no shame in putting an inhuman killer down.

Luc   November 11th, 2009 1:23 am ET

When you listen to the second wife interview any body can think John Allen Mohamad did not get a fair trial because His wife said he never became violent until after he deployed to the golf war. Should he be paid for what he did? YES. Should he be executed? NO
Race played a role in Virginia. I feel Sorry for the other black G..uy

Sara   November 11th, 2009 1:42 am ET

Can we the FBI to put a track on this Joseph Randall guy that posted at... November 10th, 2009 12:03 am ET

donald   November 11th, 2009 2:26 am ET

moose you are not missed in portland go on with your show business.

SNewman   November 11th, 2009 2:33 am ET

Thank God FINALLY Justice for the People! No more Taxpayer money being spent on keeping this filth alive.

Wish your State Law was present in Canada!!

Paul   November 11th, 2009 2:37 am ET

Joseph Randall – So how did he get anthanx and not die using it? What a dumb conspiracy and your so cocky like you checked all the facts. Bah!

Jimmy H   November 11th, 2009 4:44 am ET

Mr. Noonan I dont how you can try to blame what this man did on any-one but him I mean come on I am an AA myself, but what about the people that were killed where is your compassion for them.

Janice Mahon   November 11th, 2009 5:51 am ET

Thank God this evil creature from hell is dead. What he did to us, the citizens of Maryland, Virginia and D.C., was terrorism. He terrorised us for three weeks, we did not know where he would strike next, so we lived constantly in fear of our lives. Satan meet Satan. How do you like hell so far?

Benedict Mulenga   November 11th, 2009 6:58 am ET

I've been following this story for a while and it has caught my attention. First and foremost, I give my humble condolensces to BOTH sides of the families involved, may you be comforted in this day of your affliction.

Now getting back to the issue, John Allen Muhammed- I don't think this man was a 'Devil' as the media and the rest of "America" has painted him out to be, I am by no ways trying to justify his actions but please before you invovle your emotions let us consider...

John Allen Muhammad was an ex-military oprative and apparently served in the 'recent' war in Iraq. Am sure by now most of us today are familiar with the term PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) this is very serious mental(psychological) condition that is usually experienced by people who have gone through traumatic experiences i.e violent abuse, war etc.

This condition seriously affects an individual's psyche or cognition (thinking processes) and causes them to act out on anything OR anyone whom may seem to 'pose' a threat in their perception, this creates an Anti-Social personality. This condition is extremely prevalent in people who've experienced war i.e soldiers. Infact it is now a growing phenomenon among american soldiers paticularily those deployed either to Iraq or Afghan.

Allen Muhammad was a classic example of PTSD. Now my query is this, way didn't the 'Justice system' look deeper into this? why were they so quick and swift to reach the verdict of capital punishment? Muhammad was one of the many ex-soldiers suffering from PTSD e.g Matthew Sepi & Seth Strasburg (google them) and yet Muhammad is the only one being labled 'a serial killer' or ' the sniper who terrorized DC'.

It causes one to wonder if Race & Religion haven't played a role in his quick execution because we would be very naive to think racism no longer exists today. There are countless stories across the U.S & Europe about people losing their loved ones to ex-soldiers but non have ended in Death Penalty especially in the white community.

The US military is equaly guilty because it has not been vocal on what conditions your Veterans go through in war and when they send your boys and girls back to you they are damaged goods. I fail to see why the "Justice System" couldn't pardon Muhammad who killed atleast 10 people and yet they where able to forgive and forget the Lockbire Bomber who killed more than 200 people on a plane. How can you help a stranger and leave your own.

In conclusion John Allen Muhammad was a US soldier who once defended the very flag you all swear your alligiance to and after he came back from a war that never was, instead of treating him= you decided to kill. What a way to honour the "Fallen Men".

Charles   November 11th, 2009 7:15 am ET

The question is WHY has it taken us so long to carry out this sentence? Chief Moose, thank you for doing your job and too bad you just HAD to exit with a book deal. You threw away just about everything you had built as a law enforcement officer and a National Guard pilot. For heaven's sake, is money always at the bottom of these individual's lives? Your comments at this point are as empty as your determination was to capitalize on the people that were sworn to protect. As for this creature, he should have been dealt with right when he was found in the trunk of his car. Instead, we turned it into a circus. A costly, ridiculous insult of a trial that served as the stage to attorneys and lawmen of average acumen. Now he is gone and I could not be happier. No more food for the media and no more taxpayer's money being wasted. Too bad that his partner was given a deal. I would have loved to see both of them, side by side last night.

Ricasso   November 11th, 2009 11:03 am ET

To Patrick

"Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders." Albert Camus, French philosopher

Thats all I need to say. Today Virginia was no different then the person we(the collective of the state) murdered."

STFU.

lynn frazier   November 11th, 2009 12:41 pm ET

I would like to know why the organs of John Muhammad was not donated to people who are in great need of organs, maybe some good could have been done, to help those in need, this is the least John could have done, after all the bad he did to innocent people.
He was to be executed anyway, and now he already has been, its to late, but with such a great need in this country for people suffering and just waiting for a organ match, just maybe his organs could have saved a life to help those in need.Had this happened the donor did not have to be identified.And just maybe he could have finally done some good to repair the damage he did to innocent people.
When some one is to be executed and are in good health, just why not donate there organs to those in need of them. Thank You

Sheila   November 11th, 2009 1:00 pm ET

My God forgive John Muhammad and bless the souls of his victims and their families. May the US be able to move forward in peace.

ivorettecooper   November 11th, 2009 1:30 pm ET

Larry
Are you still going to interview the first wife again after execution?

Larry   November 11th, 2009 1:35 pm ET

If I lost my mind and killed a whole bunch of people for no reason, and then went on trial, I sure as heck would want death and not life in prison. It's a shame Muhammad got off easy.

Kenneth DeMatteo   November 11th, 2009 2:03 pm ET

Chief Moose's inaction resulted in the death of the last victim, a Ride-on bus driver. He knew the name of the suspect the night before he released it to the media and then the next day, Mr. Conrad was murdered in Aspen Hill, MD. That night, he released the name to the media and that evening, the Maryland State Poice surrounded the car in a rest stop north of Frederick, Maryland and the nightmare was over. Accordingly, once the name was released and the public was made aware of who to look for, a truck driver spoted the car in the rest stop and he Muhammed and Malvo were captured. It was a matter of hours and it was all over. Another Moose blunder was the description of the vehicle. He was given the description of the Chevy Caprice early in the investigation-but when he had his daily press conferences, he kep mentioning a white box truck.
Additionally, most officers who worked on the Sniper Task Force had little confidence or respect for Chief Moose. As a Montgomery County resident, I was embarrassed daily by his performances at the press conferences. Most importantly and unfortunately, it cost Mr. Conrad his life.

JOSEPH RANDALL   November 12th, 2009 12:52 am ET

DELUSIONAL??? PERHAPS YOU PEOPLE WHO REFER TO ME AS BEING DELUSIONAL SHOULDN'T LOOK IN THE MIRROR WHEN WRITING YOUR COMMENTS. AND FOR THE PERSON WHO ASKED, "HOW DID HE GET ANTHRAX AND NOT DIE USING IT?" OBVIOUSLY, SOMEONE (JOHN MUHAMMED) DID GET A HOLD OF THE ANTHRAX AND APPARENTLY LIVED TO SEND IT THROUGH THE MAIL. "AND THEY SAY THEY'RE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS."

AND FOR THE REST OF YOU WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT: NO PERSON, WHETHER IN THEIR RIGHT OR WRONG STATE OF MIND" WOULD HATCH A RANSOM PLOT THAT INVOLVED THE FBI AND SUCH A WIDE VARIETY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, AND ACTUALLY THINK THEY'D GET WHAT THEY ASKED FOR. COMMONSENSE WILL TELL ANYONE THE NO LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY (ESPECIALLY WITH COAST-TO-COAST MEDIA COVERAGE) WILL PAY A RANSOM KNOWING THEY'LL BE OTHER CRACKPOTS THINKING THEY COULD DO THE SAME THING. AND IF HIS CRIME WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT HIS EX-WIFE, THEN THERE'D BE NO REASON FOR HIM TO CROSS STATE-LINES, "INCLUDING WASHINGTON DC" TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE SHE DIED IN THE MANNER IN WHICH CHARLES MOOSE MADE IT OUT TO BE. EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO CRIMES SUCH AS BANK ROBBERIES, WORKPLACE SHOOTINGS ETC. NO CRIMINAL IN HISTORY HAS GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY TO KILL THAT MANY PEOPLE IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME(6 VICTIMS IN 2 DAYS).

WHY DID JOHN MUHAMMED FEEL THE NEED TO LEAVE TAROT CARDS WITH THE WORD DEATH (IN BOLD LETTERS) ON IT? DID THE ANTHRAX LETTERS NOT HAVE THE WORD DEATH WRITTEN IN BOLD LETTERS ON THEM? WHY DID HE CHOOSE TO SINGLE OUT A GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL "LINDA FRANKLIN," THE WAY TOM DASCHLE WAS SINGLED OUT? WHY DID HIS CRIME INVOLVE A SCHOOL AND THE ANTHRAX LETTERS HAD A FICTITIOUS RETURN ADDRESS OF AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL? WHY DID HE CHOOSE WASHINGTON DC, MARYLAND, AND VIRGINIA... THREE PLACES IN WHICH THEIR WERE VICTIMS OF THE ANTHRAX? WHY DID HE CHOOSE THE MONTH OF OCTOBER...THE SAME MONTH THAT CLAIMED THE FIRST ANTHRAX VICTIM? WHY DID HE INVOLVE THE PUBLIC IN HIS CRIME, THE SAME WAY THE ANTHRAX LETTERS DID? WHY DID HE HAVE A PATTERN UP UNTIL THE 14TH OF OCTOBER IN WHIC 9 PEOPLE DIED AND 2 WERE INJURED FOR A TOTAL NUMBER OF 11? WHY DID HE CHOOSE TO SHOOT SOMEONE ON THE 9TH & 11TH OF OCTOBER & NOT THE 8TH, 10TH & 12TH? WHY DID HE SKIP THE FIRST 2 SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS IN WHICH HIS CRIME BEGAN? WHY DID THE FBI SAY THE ANTHRAX LETTERS ORIGINATED FROM A MAILBOX IN NEW JERSEY AND JOHN MUHAMMED WAS ARRESTED IN A CAR WITH NEW JERSEY PLATES? WHY DID THE FBI SAY THE PERSON WHO MAILED THE ANTHRAX LETTERS WAS MOST LIKELY A MALE OF SOME TYPE OF FOREIGN DECENT WITH MILITARY EXPERIENCE, AND JOHN MUHAMMED HAD A FOREIGN BACKGROUND AND DID DO TIME IN THE MILITARY? I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT ALL THE THINGS THAT LINK JOHN MUHAMMED TO THE ANTRAX, INCLUDING THE FACT THAT HIS HANDWRITING IS AN EXACT MATCH TO THE HANDWRITING OF THE ANTHRAX LETTERS...BUT I ASK, "HOW MANY COINCIDENCES MUST THERE BE BEFORE IT BECOMES HARD EVIDENCE?" I BEGAN (BACK THEN) CALLING THE FBI TIPLINE AS WELL AS CHARLES MOOSE, ON THE 3RD DAY OF THE SNIPER SHOOTINGS...NOT TO MENTION A LETTER I SENT CHARLES MOOSE DURING THE SECOND WEEK OF THE SNIPER'S CRIME...WHICH WOULD HAVE DEFINITELY LED TO JOHN MUHAMMED'S ARREST A LOT QUICKER THAN THE TIME IT ACTUALLY DID TAKE. I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT...DO ANY OF YOU?

Ted Sheckler   November 12th, 2009 1:26 am ET

Why does steve c. hate mondays so much? comment

Betty J. Dustan   November 12th, 2009 2:14 am ET

Regarding the DC Sniper Execution. One of the law enforcement officers said it like it is; no worries, no tears & no remorse. MY GOD, the guy took out how many people & we're suppose to give him some sympathy. No way ...... his victims paid a much higher price than he did. I sympathize w/Muhammad's wife & family; they have to live w/his cruelty in this world.

As for the Fort Hood shooting; and whether or not he acted alone. Of course not the Muslim race is a threat. It's those within that religion that make it horrdendous. Firstly; those that are standing on US turf, worshipping their Muslim god to terrorize USA, and everywhere else. When the heck will our laws put a stop to this. We can't go over to their country and practice our religious; being terrorism. Why should they do same here in our country?

I am soooooooooooo grateful for all the US soldiers, and us Canadians, and every nation, to stand up to say enough is enough, and they fight for my freedom. If the war overseas stops; does one think that the terrorism is going to stop in "our" country? I think not.

Betty J. Dustan
Calgary, AB

charles   December 17th, 2009 9:59 am ET

1 sure thing about life is death, but he who lives by d sword will die by d sword. God bless america!

Shaqtus   December 17th, 2009 2:18 pm ET

@JOSEPH RANDALL; I think you'd benefit from a hobby. You like motorcycles? Remote control planes? Brewing? Collecting?

Think about it man.

Joseph Randall   December 17th, 2009 11:34 pm ET

SHAQUTAS...And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you were Charles Moose, himself. Anyway, I think you'd benefit from brain surgery. Think about that if it's possible.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter