CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

October 16, 2009

TLC Sues Jon Gosselin for Breach of Contract

Posted: 01:00 PM ET

By Nicole Weisensee Egan via People.com

To the surprise of very few, TLC filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against Jon Gosselin on Friday morning, accusing the Jon and Kate Plus 8 star of violating his contract by making paid and unpaid TV appearances without the cable network's permission.

Jon Gosselin

Jon Gosselin

"The network has been trying privately and patiently for months to get Jon to honor the contract he signed and to comply with his obligations relating to public appearances and statements," reads a statement released by the network. "Those efforts have been unsuccessful."

Mark Heller, Jon's attorney, told PEOPLE Friday morning that he had yet to see the TLC legal documents. "I can't comment on something I haven't seen. Jon hasn't been served yet, either."

((READ MORE...))

Filed under: Entertainment • Jon & Kate Gosselin

Cali MJ Fan   October 16th, 2009 1:33 pm ET

Good! It's really time to stop these reality shows– and all their drama!

Teresa   October 16th, 2009 2:28 pm ET

Jon just wants to have a private life with his kids while Kate still blabbing and pasting her face in all the media circuits. Kate needs to just go away but will find hard to do it because she already had a taste for being a famous celeb and wants to continue on that ride!

Michael Thomas   October 16th, 2009 4:48 pm ET

As a single father taking care of his 7 year old daughter. I am here to say that society has been honoring women for getting out of abusive marriages, moving on and doing what is best for there kids. I am here to say "GOOD FOR YOU JON" It is a good thing to see a father take control of his house and kids and take care of them. Not give up and walk away like most have done in the past.

He should be commended not punished!

Dodie ~ California   October 16th, 2009 5:12 pm ET

@ Cali MJ Fan

I completely agree and second that motion!

I would like to see TLC sued for promoting and making huge profits off of outrageous large families like the Gosselins, Duggars family of 18, and Octomom family of 14.

In these times, where the population of the world is increasing exponentially, TLC continues to encourage outrageous sized families. I consider this as very irresponsible of TLC.

I have never watched a reality show, nor would I ever watch one. I have too much to do in my own life to be bothered with others on TV.

Diaper statistics for the USA only!
An estimated 18-20 billion single-use diapers are thrown in landfills each year, taking up to 300 years to decompose, and commonly contain TONS OF RAW, UNTREATED HUMAN SEWAGE causing a potential pandemic. Disposable diapers make up the second largest source of solid waste in landfills, after food and beverage containers9. It takes upwards of 92,000 tons of plastic and 1.8 million tons of wood pulp, or OVER A QUARTER MILLION TREES, to manufacture the disposable diapers.

Sheila - Washington State   October 16th, 2009 7:19 pm ET

I agree with Dodie – TLC should not be promoting this type of family (multiple births are common with fertility drugs). I do not watch reality shows, but have a feeling that the life they first aired on TV is much different than the life they have after the TV show income. I dont want to watch either mom or dad take their family to locations or outings most of us can't afford "in reality" with or without a large family! Its no longer reality; its purely about making money, for both TLC and Kate. I side with Jon. The kids are being exploited and Kate likes the money. If she could do it all again, do you think she would sacrifice the show/money and just keep her family the way it was, intact? At least I have heard Jon say so on LKL. Get the show off the air and the kids into counseling. Make TLC pay for counseling for this entire family. I'm behind Jon. Kate should put her money where her mouth is and take the kids off the show for their own well-being. Kate can live off of her book earnings, or go back to nursing, as I am a single parent as well and doing it without a TV show income.

LMB   October 16th, 2009 8:55 pm ET

It's just getting more sad by the day. I don't like seeing someone's personal carnage. At the same time, it was not OK for Jon, while living a public life, to fool around on his wife, being busted by the tabloids, clean out the family bank account, give hysterical television and magazine interviews bad mouthing their mother, then violate contracts. Now he's being sued. This man is going down in flames, and it's painful to watch.

I don't think that Jon Gosselin remotely considered his actions when it came to the media, and his children. They are little now and are protected. But media lives forever. The drunken pictures of Jon leaving a bar with a girl when their mother was out of town. The interview with the nanny where she said they would wait for them to go to sleep and have sex. The nasty interviews that didn't go well for him. His children and everyone they know are going to have access to this forever, and as a parent myself, I don't see how he could possibly explain all of this away to his kids, explain why it's alright.

There was nothing wrong with Jon and Kate Plus Eight. It was a family program. There's now an issue of sleaze, that their father might want to film the children in a program less than savory, out of desperation, just to put a dime in his pocket.

I wish the best, best, best for Kate. I really do. And the best for your precious kids. If TLC can find a way for the kids to be happy and get them the funds to have a happy life and great education, so be it. Fondly.

LB

Gerald Jolly   October 16th, 2009 10:39 pm ET

I hope that TLC will take this dredge from society right to the wall, and exposing him for the SELF SERVING MISFIT that he is.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter