CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

October 2, 2009

Update: Letterman alleged blackmailer pleads not guilty

Posted: 03:49 PM ET

Editor's Note: For the latest on the alleged extortionist plot against David Letterman, watch Larry King Live tonight at 9pmET/6pmPT.

via TMZ.com

halderman1Robert Halderman - the man accused of trying to extort David Letterman - has just pled not guilty to the felony charge of attempted grand larceny in the first degree.

Halderman was wearing blue jeans, a striped button-up shirt and a blazer. He is in handcuffs.

The DA is asking for his bail to be set at $500,000. They say Halderman's actions were ones of "desperation" and they are "alarming and dangerous."

His defense, on the other hand, wants bail to be set at $100k. They claim he is not a flight risk.

UPDATE: His bail was set at $200,000 bond.

Filed under: Celebrity News • Crime • Larry King Live

Daniel G.   October 2nd, 2009 4:32 pm ET

I am sorry I do not like Letterman for several reasons. First when he complained about not being the host of the tonights show. Then the way he treated Richard Simmons when he asked Letterman to go to lunch with him. It seams that Letterman has to sleep with everyone he is spending time with. Now he admits he sleeps with his staff. I am sorry I can not feel sorry for a homo phobic,sarcastic,perverted crybaby.

Dodie ~ California   October 2nd, 2009 8:48 pm ET

David Letterman would probably not commit public and career suicide unless someone was trying to extort him for a lot of money. If David Letterman goes public with the information, that takes power away from the extortionist!

Sheila   October 2nd, 2009 9:08 pm ET

You Americans are so screwed up!

ed wood   October 2nd, 2009 9:08 pm ET

I think sarah's chickens have come homde to roost.

Bo   October 2nd, 2009 9:10 pm ET

OMG David Letterman had sex with woman?? I am shocked. I don't watch Letterman anyway so it doesn't matter who he is having sex with to me. I do think it's good that he can have a sense of humor about it. Good to know the guy got busted. Seems alot of people are trying to extort money from celebrities these days. I say...who really cares?? I have enough to worry about when it comes to my own life, let alone caring about who David Letterman is doing.

angela   October 2nd, 2009 9:16 pm ET

I hope this man gets some help, what he did was wrong, very wrong. He knows that already. He is not some idiot, he has made contributions to society, I hope he gets back on the right path and that David forgives the matter since he has been so blessed in life. Nobody likes or enjoys being bled to death financially.

Carol   October 2nd, 2009 9:20 pm ET

It's a shame to think that we need extortionists to get people to tell the truth........David, you did it well.

Carol   October 2nd, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Wear the truth on your sleeve.

James Salkin   October 2nd, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Was he sleeping with staff members after his beloved Harry was born.

Aali Javid   October 2nd, 2009 9:24 pm ET

David Letterman is the greatest broadcaster of all-time. He is a national hero that has freed millions from their day to day troubles with humor, wit, and class.

Lois Chapin   October 2nd, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Is it really our business about what others do in their private lives ?
I think not . If he was in politics it would be our business because in
my opinion they work for us . David Letterman works fo himself .
Was it the right thing to do I think not. But it really isn't my business.
Will I still watch his show which I enjoy very much of course I will .I look
forward to ending my day watching him . I find him very intelligent and
funny. So people put your stones back in your own pockets and get on
with your own lives.

alicia   October 2nd, 2009 9:25 pm ET

It happens in every organisation. Because he is on tv? So what!

Jo Hucks   October 2nd, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Now David Letterman knows how it feels to be attacked and have his family attacked. Remember Sarah Palin and her daughter?? Thank God, what goes around comes around.

Jared Purdy   October 2nd, 2009 9:31 pm ET

I am a huge fan of Letterman, and have been for years, and will likely remain so. However, what my wife and I find disturbing about this issue, is that a man of considerable power and wealth, is having affairs with female staff in his employ. No matter how this is cut, it is tantamount to sexual harassment.

What is equally as disturbing, is the wave upon wave of justifications, and the fact that the audience laughed as if this was some knd of a joke. The sexual exploitation of women is not a joke.

carol kesling   October 2nd, 2009 9:46 pm ET

shame on you mr. halderman........

Monica Ray   October 2nd, 2009 10:03 pm ET

To make Letterman look like a victim when his attrocious behavior was the spark is a little "creepy" too. He has little to no shame except for where he may stand with "his job", and there's too much money in it for everyone for that to be in very much jeopardy. It's his wife whose going to hurt by this even if she was fully aware of it prior to the exposure. Let's show a little class and not make Letterman a hero for what he's done like its a joke.

Daniela   October 3rd, 2009 12:33 am ET

I, personally, like Letterman; he's smart, successful, has a good and healthy sense of humor. But that's not the point here; what one does with his private life, especially whom one sleeps with, should be no one's business. Those were grown-up women who had grown-up type relationships...which frequently involve sex – that's life!I 'm sure Letterman had not coerced anybody to have sex with him – don't see why he would have had to do that...Let's grow up and mind issues that are truly of importance for Americans.

The truth shall save you free.   October 3rd, 2009 12:40 am ET

Its good that David notified his fans first but what he did remains irresponsible. It's unfortunate, however there are still some few good men. G.
David have confessed those women should not be allowed to come out now for money since they have been quite all these time.

2 irresposible men..   October 3rd, 2009 12:54 am ET

Why will a producer go so low as blackmailing a follow man.
David Letterman is good in his show but that does not make him classy. The act of sex can be the best thing with your partner but is not worth the harvoc it brings to the parties involved especialy where families and work is involved.
A man does not gain respect by being irresponsible. I hope all those happened before he was married.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter