CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

September 9, 2009

Ellen Replaces Paula on 'Idol'

Posted: 09:23 PM ET

57078921via Chicago Tribune

Ellen DeGeneres dances daily on her talk show. So she thinks she can judge singers?

Fox and the producers of "American Idol" apparently do. The comedian has been selected to join the judging panel on  television's "American Idol," effectively replacing Paula Abdul, the network announced Wednesday night.

Degeneres will join Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson, as well as Kara DioGuardi, who's entering her second year evaluating the singers competing on the program, television most popular program set to begin its ninth season in January.

How the newcomer will fit in and whether the show is served by having that many judges is anyone's guess.

DeGeneres can clearly hold her own as a performer. But DioGuardi sometimes seemed unnecessary last season. For that matter, Jackson often was the odd man out as Cowell and Abdul teased and taunted one another, which was often as entertaining as the young singers hoping to win viewer votes en route to the "Idol" title.

Abdul's contract negotiations with the show's producers broke down last month, however, with Abdul telling fans of her exit via Twitter.

“I’m thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol,'" DeGeneres said in the announcement. "I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”

(READ MORE)

Filed under: American Idol

carol kesling   September 9th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

ellen, you go girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angela   September 9th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

eeewwwww

janette tx   September 9th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!

janette tx   September 9th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Ellen cannot freakin dance she horses around to music
she just keeps up with the beat.She sure as hell can't sing.

Heather   September 9th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

Can any of the other judges sing? Or tell jokes or entertain?

Have fun at the show, Ellen.

Good luck, Heather

janette tx   September 9th, 2009 10:25 pm ET

Paula did missy.

Ann-Virginia   September 9th, 2009 10:25 pm ET

that's great!! She will make a great judge & won't take any crap from Simon.She will make fun of him & he won't have enough sense to know she is serious.I love it.Simon will have met more than his match this time.LOL

donnie   September 9th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

she will do great ! can't wait! she knows talent, & will disagree w/Simon...ha ha ..

Raychil   September 9th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

Interesting, but she doesn't have a musical background, does she?

Jenny, Canada.   September 9th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

Sorry to see Paula go, but Ellen should be a good foil to Simon. She's about as nice a person as anyone can imagine, and at least Simon and Ellen won't be kissing. It was always a little icky to see that happening between Paula and Simon.

She'll add a refreshing dimension, and she's so funny. Way to go Ellen.
She is one of the few celebrities who doesn't have to work at "keeping it real". She just is. Ellen is every-man... or every-woman.

Mimi from GUATEMALA   September 9th, 2009 10:48 pm ET

I think Ellen is a good choice for the producers but not the ideal for replace Paula.
I think too, that the producers need someone that be loved for the public and Ellen is.
She is so simpatic and is really sure that we are going to laugh too much with her.
Poor Simon, He will be angry...

Cali MJ Fan   September 9th, 2009 10:56 pm ET

YAY for Ellen! I have loved Paula and feel split about saying yay for Ellen– but if they were gonig to replace Paula, I think Ellen is a PERFECT choice! Yipeeeeeee! One thing Ellen knows well - that's music!

lucy   September 9th, 2009 11:33 pm ET

Are the execs at American Idol nuts? Ellen Degen as a Judge??? get real....the show was solid as a triple trio of randy, paula and simon...
paula was worth way more than the gay-boy-toy-host in ryan seacast....bummer...idol so wont be the same....time to point n click...next....

Susan62509   September 10th, 2009 2:02 am ET

Ellen is going to bring a wonderful & positive change to Idol. Idol was getting boring the last few seasons because I always knew what Paula was going to/or try to say. Ellen will bring in personality, fun, good challenges to Simon and her experience with talking with everyday people is a talent in itself. I will be watching Idol all next season just to hear what Ellen has to say. Smart decision Fox.

Lisa   September 10th, 2009 2:53 am ET

And just what qualifies Ellen to be a judge of musical talent? She is so annoying. I for one will not be watching.

glo   September 10th, 2009 7:48 am ET

I think she will be great! She is definitely an overall entertainer. I love it.

Lora ottawa canada   September 10th, 2009 8:14 am ET

Great! I love her! She will bring comedic relief to the show! Can't wait!

denise   September 10th, 2009 9:19 am ET

Congrats Ellen!! I used to watch the "American Idol" when there were only 3 judges but look forward to the new season of the show.

Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont   September 10th, 2009 9:52 am ET

Ellen great choice she will entertain us and have comedic groove to the show i can't wait to see this .

Anne   September 10th, 2009 10:56 am ET

I have never watched American Idol but might now with Ellen Degeneres as a judge. She is really fun.

d5   September 10th, 2009 3:44 pm ET

Ellen will bring a lot of fun to the competition, she is a very jovial person,we are not here to judge her, the public is here to support the competition. Iam a Idol Fan and will continue to watsh and support the program . I also wish Paula Abdul well in her endevors.

TE from OK   September 11th, 2009 12:56 am ET

I hated to see Paula go but I agree she will be a good replacement and I'll watch the show.

Terry, TX   September 11th, 2009 8:56 am ET

Who.......cares!!!!!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter