CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 30, 2009

Kidnap Suspect's Odd Behavior Unnerved Acquaintances

Posted: 05:34 PM ET

By Lisa Krieger via Mercury News

Phillip Garrido bragged that "his daughter" was the talent behind the graphic design and production at his family printing business, even introducing her to customers.

But it was his odd and escalating religious fervor that troubled those who knew Garrido, the registered sex offender now accused of abducting 11-year-old Jaycee Dugard and holding her for 18 years.art_garrido_justice

"Sometimes when I go there, she comes out with the work, wearing gloves, with ink all over her clothes," said longtime customer Deepal Karunaratne, about Jaycee, now 29.

The realtor often picked up his orders at the Garridos' Antioch-area house. "He introduced her to me as his daughter."

Lovely children's designs decorated the receipts and envelopes made for a Pittsburg recycling center. They were done by his "daughter," Garrido proudly told Maria Christenson of Christenson Recycling Center.

"There was nothing weird with him at the beginning," recalled Christenson. "But I noticed a year ago he just went off the deep end."

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Crime

Janice   August 30th, 2009 6:34 pm ET

I thin there will be a lot of people second guessing themselves about this guy now that he has been arrested. You just never really know about people sometimes. They could just be a little odd or a full blown psycho.

ashli   August 30th, 2009 6:59 pm ET

This was shocking. I am glad that they found her, but imagine having to labor two children by your rapist and kidnapper, then never getting to go to the doctor and having your kids call your rapist "dad" and claiming you as their sister instead of their mom, this man disgusts me. I am so glad that he has been caught as well as his wife that was involved. Why had they not put him on the list when the child was first reported to be taken. he was in the area and on parole and an offender. This always make us wonder about our neighbors and people who we meet. Shows us that we can never trust anyone.

Karoli   August 31st, 2009 9:51 am ET

I disagree with Ashli. We should trust people. I have found that most people are nice, kind, and very trustworthy. Most people will go out of their way to help someone in trouble. Americans as a whole are a very nice group of people. However, I also agree that if something seems strange with someone we should be careful to protect ourselves.

paula whiteley   August 31st, 2009 11:22 am ET

this to some is strange but i have a story from the father of my 4 kids who sexually abused me and attack me so badly but walked free he has been accused of anual penertration on his son from another relationship and sexually assulting his ex wife.i had a fatal accident in spain left paralyesd thios man assulted me again in hospital he is still free and works as a vice president for a tecnoligies company in atlanta ga. he took my four girls and they stil remain in his care even all the authurities know of him, i was the girls sole parent for 7 years.nothing surprizes me.he left me penniless without my kids took my life my home my everything.he has lied to the fulton court but still they do not acknoledge it.

eJay   August 31st, 2009 1:07 pm ET

If the police check they probably will find many more lives that he has destroyed.

lisa   August 31st, 2009 1:52 pm ET

Love Larry King, but will not be watching Chris Brown. Didn`t OJ say he didn`t remember. I really did love watching Chris Brown and enjoyed his music so much, but that is over, he is done. Go get a job Chris and start a life out of the public eye, we don`t want you around anymore. There is no excuse of any kind that will make this right. Violence against women or anyone is not acceptable. The minute I heard this sad story, I did ask God to forgive Chris, I hope he has asked for forgiveness as well. Thanks Larry for all the great stories, love you.

amina   August 31st, 2009 7:53 pm ET

chris brown hit her its over let it go rihannah is making a real big deal

Ariel   August 31st, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Come on people Chris Brown??? O.J???? Please keep on the above topic duh!!!

Bill   August 31st, 2009 9:58 pm ET

The real crime is that we had this guy locked away and we let him out. There is no cure for a sexual predator or a child molestor. They don't get better, they continue to hurt. When you are convicted of a crime like he was, he has no rights. The local police should have been monitoring him and searching his home when ever any type of sex crime happened. Let's add that three years ago a cop was on his front porch after a neighbor called him a sex deviant... What the heck was this cop thinking? He had a radio, he could have called and done some digging. Poor mom, poor step father and poor young lady.

Gerri   September 1st, 2009 3:14 am ET

Didn't anyone ask about what school the young girls attended.

Strange in conversation no one asked or wondered.

kevin   September 1st, 2009 11:07 am ET

This is such a sad story, i am more discouraged by the local authorities efforts and in their lack of due diligence, what a bunch of useless officers. I feel for their whole family that had to endure such hardship and criticism! But on a positive side she is now free and i only hope she can forge onward with her life.

LOLO   September 2nd, 2009 3:07 pm ET

I will not be watching Larry King tonight with Chris Brown.

Boycott "Larry King Live"

Batterers don't need more publicity and a vehicle to spread their lies and untruths!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter