CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 28, 2009

Accused Child Kidnapper's Home Searched For Clues in Killings

Posted: 05:41 PM ET

Editor's Note: Larry King Live will have the latest on this story tonight at 9pmET/6pmPT.

By Robert Salonga via Mercury News

art_garrido_justiceANTIOCH — The home of Phillip Craig Garrido, the main suspect in the 18-year disappearance of Jaycee Dugard, is being sealed off so Pittsburg police can search for clues in a series of prostitute killings that occurred at the beginning of the decade, authorities said.

Contra Costa County sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee confirmed the pending search. Several women's bodies were found dumped near a Pittsburg industrial park where Garrido worked in the 1990s.

Garrido and his wife have been charged in the kidnapping and rape of Dugard, who gave birth to two daughters with Phillip Garrido while being kept secluded in a hidden backyard compound at his Walnut Avenue home in unincorporated Antioch.

Filed under: Crime • Larry King Live

gary   August 28th, 2009 5:52 pm ET

It’s a shame that this girl Jaycee Lee Dugard was taken at age 11. 18 years with out her family. I’m shocked that the police were there 3 years ago and did not investigate the property better. The 911 caller from 3 years ago should get the $40,000 reward, its not there fault the police did not do a better job. police rewards are a joke !

stu   August 28th, 2009 5:56 pm ET

O My God!How peaples like this can born on this eart,and how thigs like this can happening?And not 1,not 2. I hope he gat forever in jail,and the peaples will torture hem in the rest of hes life.Death would be to easy...

CJ   August 28th, 2009 6:18 pm ET

I'm really pleased for the step-father. It must have been horrendous living with the quiet suspicion from your wife, friends and neighbors that you were involved in the disappearance of your step-daughter. It must have been difficult for the wife wondering what happened and suspecting her husband. All that on top of losing your child.

I hope as we find out more about what happened that the public don't start accusing the victim of being complicit. She may have been able to escape her captor in theory, but she was obviously suffering with Stockholm's Syndrome and has children with the kidnapper.

I find it disturbing that so many young women seem to believe that Rihanna was asking for it, that she somehow deserved to get beaten by Chris Brown. Although of course different situations, I hope that the fickle public does not turn on Jaycee Dugard, as they did with Rihanna.

Wolverine   August 28th, 2009 7:24 pm ET

WOW!....I just googled (maps) BOWN LN & WALNUT AVE in Antioch , Ca 94509!! Seeing that this guy is a registered sex offender....does anyone look at his entire property. Seems pretty simple to pull up...zoom in...and see several "tents". City has the property lines and such...guestions really should have been asked long ago. I know in our area, the city constantly is checking property for structures so that they can charge more taxes.

CJ   August 28th, 2009 7:28 pm ET

That would make him a martyr. He doesn't deserve that.

He's a coward and deluded. He will probably be on suicide watch and they should make sure that he doesn't get away that easily.

They should send him to Gitarama prison in Rwanda. 7000 men held in an area the size of a soccer pitch, built for 400 prisoners.

I think that sounds about right. The fact that he would also stick out like a sore thumb would make things extra interesting.

carol kesling   August 28th, 2009 8:26 pm ET

@ gerald, put him in G.P. they will be more than HAPPY to take care of him.... he should be put "UNDER THE JAIL". what a MONSTER... like you gerald i would like to have a few moments with him myself !!!!!!!!!!!

carol kesling   August 28th, 2009 8:33 pm ET

the justice system is "FAILING OUR CHILDREN"..... this has got to stop... these animals cannot be rehabilitated, this is all they know... SOMEONE HAS GOT TO STAND UP FOR OUR CHILDREN.THIS IS HAPPENING ALL TO OFTEN. THIS MAN SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN OUT AT ALL... OR HIS WIFE...............

John H   August 28th, 2009 8:52 pm ET

It's almost beyond imagination the terror and hurt Garrido put Jaycee and her entire family through. Bad enough what he did to Jaycee and how he treated her and the two children but Jaycee's family was destroyed. Her stepfather lived under the suspicion that he was responsible and you can imagine how he was ostracized by the community. And Garrido feels entitled. Thinks he did Jaycee and the children a favor and in short time we will all see it from his point of view. Oh Please! I've known cockroaches with more personality. And what sort of a self image must his wife have to allow him carry out his plan. She must have been desperate for company to accept this arrangement. Don't bother to put him on television and interview him; I don't want to hear it. My worst imagination as to what to do with these two people is inadequate. Somebody come up with something really terrible and I will support it. The suggestion to put them in General Population in the prision would be a good start. I have confidence in the good criminals who reside there to resolve this issue satisfactorily.

Elvira Happel   August 29th, 2009 4:45 pm ET

I think of myself as a forgiving & peaceful person, but what this ANIMAL did to Miss Dugard and her family deserve a LIFETIME OF BRUTAL TORTURE. After that, may he burn and burn in HELL!

Terry   August 29th, 2009 5:27 pm ET

The cops really dropped the ball on this one. Isn't there some way these animals can be kept behind bars? Or at the very least can they somehow be watched once they are released? This guy ruined Jaycee's life, not to mention her mother, step-father,and her own children. A nice clean jail cell is to good for him. He should be subjected to the same life she led.

Jacqueline Woods   August 29th, 2009 8:40 pm ET

I wonder when the victim and her family is going to appear on Larry King Live. I can not wait to see what she looked like. He is a sick man. but I don't like the way the stepfather and his family are always giving interviews. God bless the victim and her children.

CJ   August 29th, 2009 11:08 pm ET

I don't blame the stepfather (so far) for giving interviews. He's been living under a dark cloak of suspicion for longer than most of us could probably bear. Who can hold it against him for (consciously or subconsciously) coming on TV to show the world it wasn't he.

I hope this depraved kidnapper is not allowed to give interviews or appear on TV.

Admittedly, I have to turn away from the television whenever his picture is shown. He looks evil. Where The Austrian (Fritzl) looked evil, he also looked kind of washed out and tired. But this man looks potent and severe and really really evil.

Cindy   August 30th, 2009 12:52 am ET

This man is the sickest of the sick wacko's I've ever heard of. What he did to that poor girl is unforgiveable and then they suspect he also raped his "grandchildren" is beyond belief. How can any of those girls ever have even a resemblance of a normal life again? I think the odds are against them but I pray that somehow they get through all this. The poor stepfather lived all these years with a cloud over his head and also had to suffer from the disappearance of a girl he obviously loved even though he was just the stepfather. It's hard for me to believe ANYONE would judge this poor man for giving interviews because after all he had to live a life where everyone looked at him as if he was guilty when he had nothing to do with it. I feel so bad for all the family and I pray they can heal from all this nightmare. I hope that man and his wife never see the light of day again and are locked up forever without even a chance for parole. They are sick, sick people.

Terry, TX   August 30th, 2009 8:44 am ET

Wow.....what a heinous story....

Gerald Jolly   August 30th, 2009 10:19 am ET

I have, for years atempted to have laws passed that once a sexual preditor is caught, proven guilty, and sentenced, the first order of business should be "COMPLETE CASTRATION"
This vile piece of human excrement was convicted and spent 7 years in prison for "RAPE" in the late 70s.
Now just imagine if he had of been "CASTRATED" then, his lust and desires, would not have existed.
The police are presently searching his home for clues that might implicate him in other sex crimes including murder, wether they find more evidence or not is not relevent in my mind.
I go back to my original statement "CASTRATE ALL AND EVERYONE OF THESE S.O.B.s" so that our women and children can walk our streets in safety.
What will it take?? Studies have shown us that 80% of sex offenders that are released will commit those same crimes again.
What kind of society do we live in that will put more victims at risk by releasing these vile characters back into population, almost completely unchecked.
Proof of that is, that this piece of human excrement went about his vile acts while under the scrutiny??? of a parole officer.
CASTRATION, CASTRATION, CASTRATION.
SPEAK TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND DEMAND HE TAKE ACTION OR BE BOUNCED OUT OF OFFICE.
Maybe you should ask your representative how he would feel if it was his daughter.???

CJ   August 30th, 2009 11:02 am ET

Hey Gerald, how's it going?

I've never understood why pedophilia is not as severely punished as murder.

Once a person has been murdered they are gone. They had a horrific experience, died and hopefully have passed to a better place. That's it. Of course the murderer should and must be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

When a child is violated, it is often done repeatedly over many years. With that comes the psychological manipulation, by the perpetrator, on the child. The complicity of family members who know the abuse is going on (if it is the father abusing), leaving the child even more helpless. The child becoming pregnant and having to love a child that was borne out of a most despicable act. This child reminds the victim every day of what happened. There is no escape. Etc. etc.

But most of all the victim lives with the heinous, physical crime that affects every aspect of their life and being. They live with the misplaced guilt that somehow they let this happen. Their life has been ruined, destroyed.

Why, when we know that the crime of pedophilia has the highest rates of recidivism, do these monsters not only get out, but get out early? On good behavior? Of course they are well behaved. Children are their target. There are no children in jail. Nothing to get them into trouble. Plus, their incentive to get out early to find their next prey, makes them model prisoners.

Why, if we know they "just can't help themselves", are they not the most closely tracked people on earth?

Our CHILDREN are their targets. Our children need our PROTECTION and we are letting our children down.

Teresa Zuccala   September 1st, 2009 6:30 pm ET

Dear Larry,+
.I'm so stress, sick to my stomach and terrified that a person like Garrido was able to walk the streets free like a normal human being.
I really don't want to be in that neighbor's shoes, after they find out what kind of neighbors they had.
To me he is a "devil monster" that does not deserve to exist. Larry, every time that his picture appears in my TV screen, I have to avoid to see it because it chills my bones. I sence that he is the devil loocking into your inner self. I cannot imagine how powerful and frighten must had been for that little girl to summit herself to that evil satan. He deserve to burn in HELL.

Thank you very much for all you hard work to keep us up-dated with the news.
Best of luck., Terry

angie   September 2nd, 2009 5:12 pm ET

this story makes me so sad. I cannot believe that this man, garrido got away with this crime for the past 18 years. so sick!! where was the parole officer? the fbi? cops??? what is wrong with our country!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter