CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 27, 2009

TONIGHT ON LKL: Friends of Ted Kennedy

Posted: 06:57 PM ET

Ted-Kennedy-3More on the life and death of Sen. Ted Kennedy tonight.  We'll have Sen. John Kerry's first interview since Kennedy's death.  Fellow Senators John McCain, Chris Dodd and former Senator and Vice President Dan Quayle will also join Larry.

Plus, a look back at Ted Kennedy's trademark firebrand speeches at Democratic conventions from his near-miss presidential run in 1980 to his memorable remarks last year.

Plus, we want to hear from you:

How do you think history will judge Ted Kennedy?

And to find out more about plans for the days ahead, and the life of Sen. Kennedy, go to TedKennedy.org

Filed under: Larry King Live

carol kesling   August 27th, 2009 7:20 pm ET

hopefully as a true hero for the underprivaledged.. he fought hard for health care and minimun wage for a lot of people... the end of a true dynasty !!!!!!!!! REST IN PEACE SEN. KENNEDY....

Amal   August 27th, 2009 7:32 pm ET

He may have had a few things that he feels badly about that has happened before in his life but he will always be remembered as an extraordinary person that devoted his life to his country. He was truly a great hero.

Joe G. (Illinois)   August 27th, 2009 7:48 pm ET

He was a Liberal Progressive Abortionist Democrat.. “A fierce one” all the up the grave.. He was Obama’ s type of hero and friend. Nothing like Jeremiah Wright whom he denounced after 20 years or so! Oh no.. Nothing like that with Senator Ted Kennedy

Lori   August 27th, 2009 8:49 pm ET

Ted Kenedy will be rememberd as one who gave for the greater good.

Mike Armstrong TX.   August 27th, 2009 9:05 pm ET

Judge not so that you will not be judged he will be rememberd for his greatness now we need another Kennedy to keep the politicion tradition alive.

D. Johnson   August 27th, 2009 9:07 pm ET

History will judge the 'lion of the senate' with great love and respect.
After a job well done, 'the lion sleeps tonight' - rest in peace Sen. Teddy Kennedy.

Darla   August 27th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

A man of his word, a fighter for the underpriviledged, and a family man extraordinaire. How did he get his nick name Teddy when his name is Edward?

Susan Williamson   August 27th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

I wish a list of all his accomplishments were listed. Ted Kennedy gave to us all. So many of his programs are used and appreciated. His vote against invading Iraq was his best! Ask the family of a lost or injured loved one. The healthcare bill should be called KennedyCare. He had been working on universal health care since Richard Nixson was president. Health care is not a "want" it is a "need".

Ted lived by: of everyone to whom much has been given, much as been expected.

Kathy Rosenberger   August 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Regarding John MCcain's health care reform comments–How long must we wait for the private sector to get it right? We've been waiting for decades. Ted Kennedy has it right–government MUST step in or it will never be done.

Jonie   August 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

I think history will Judge Ted Kennedy with much respect. To be in the Senate as long as he was is amazing. I do believe that after marrying his second wife, and they seemed to be a perfect, happy match that he evolved much as a person and a Senator.

So, I will extend my deepest sympathy to his wife, his children, his family, his many friends.

Gretchen   August 27th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Hello Larry, how in the world can John Mccain sit there and spout out a lie about the health care reform containing federal funding for abortion, that is an out right Lie.Sen.Kennedy is and was a great man,who has helped millions of people.How dare anyone sit on your show and say that they honor such a man and then turn around and lie about something that Sen.Kennedy faught for for over 40 years of his worth while life. My Family and I love and admire Sen.Kennedy,he thought beyond money,and status and helped those who are in need.
What an awful shame that others in the congress,and the senate have a problem feeling empathy for others.Sen.Ted Kennedy will be missed.

Mike Armstrong TX.   August 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Ted Kennedy was the train engine pulling Obamas cars for health care his death reduces his chances to coast to victory.

Donna   August 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

I think that Senator Kennedy will be remembered as someone who was passionate about his causes, was always warm and friendly, and was a man of faith. He never forgot about his Irish roots and fought hard to ensure peace not only at home but also in Ireland as well. He had a huge heart and will be sorely missed.

Milexy   August 27th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

To me, Ted Kennedy will be remembered as a hero. humanitarian, I am from Dominican Republic and because of him I know what it really means to love some one regardless of race, political backround or color. It just comes down to who a person really is. I know about healthcare because I heard Mr. Kennedy talk about it, and he made it interesting. There is soo much I could say about him and yet I had never been near him. I have watched is legacy and triumph. And now the Lord has taken him out of his pain. May he rest in peace.
I think congress needs to take some notes and rethink what they are doing about healthcare reform.

crimechick   August 27th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

He had many personal faults, but he was a giant and a lion in the Senate...RIP, Ted....

Barbara   August 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

He helped so many people in Mass (me included) who have no clout no connection. He is a man of compassion and his staff helped him realize his mission. He will be missed.

Douette 'Doc' Cunningham   August 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

Personal growth. He grew-up as he grew older. Professional grit. He wasn't scared of anyone. Including Presidents. A public guardian. Keeping the dream alive. And turning lemons into lemonade.

Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)   August 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Edward Kennedy will be remember as the champion of just causes.

Tom   August 27th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

It's never easy or glamorous to help and defend the poor and indigent. Ted did, as have other Kennedys. He has inspired me and will inspire many other driving to do the right thing, to work hard for the dream. Love and prayers to your family, Ted.

Mike   August 27th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

The passing of Ted Kennedy was the real end of a gearce, smart, caring and perswaviving eara.... I was in washingtn when J F K was prenounced dead and I was among of thousands to see the prsession in the front row I was twelve years old and I thought the world of JFK and still do. When Bobby was murderd I lost another part of my being.... Now with the loss of Sen. Kennedy I lost yet aqnother part of my being. This family old and new and upcomming new era of Kennedy's I wish the whole family nothing but the best of luck and may they should have the same Guts aqnd Smarts and our country will cary the KENNEDY name forward and succeed.
I will miss the old and look foward to the new.

Jeanne   August 27th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

How can Any words say enough about TEDDY?
Yes, he had growing up problems but it certainly made a man out of him.
Mentioning John McCain seems so wrong when mentioning Teddy.

Shirley Thomason   August 27th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

My condolences go to Senator Ted Kennedy's loving family. Who will make us feel that everything will be alright now? The Lion is gone but the dream lives on.

Rich   August 27th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

Larry......thank you for at least not asking Senator Lieberman to be on your panel again tonight. I just can't stomach him after Senator Kennedy has said his most important vote of his career was the one "AGAINST" the war in Iraq. and then having to distance himself from the Clintons to endorse Barack Obama in the 2008 Presidential election. Senator Lieberman then goes and endorses Senator McCain!!

What a "coward" Senator Lieberman is compared to Senator Kennedy. He was a giant and will be missed.

R.I.P. Senator Edward M. Kennedy.

Emma   August 27th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

It would have been a great gesture of good will, if the present Mrs. Kennedy would have allowed the Ex-Mrs. Kennedy be a part of the services. How sad for both.

Terry, TX   August 27th, 2009 11:50 pm ET

Get real.....Teddy was a murderer .....he killed Mary Jo when he was drunk driving....he climbed out of the water.....ran to the family, lawyers and got sober.....then advised the police that Mary Jo was at the bottom of the water.....paid off the family. No remorse.....because he spent the rest of his life as an alcoholic....the democratic party never felt he was good enough to be president.....now they want to hail him as some sort of political icon.....no Massachusetts never had the common sense to vote him out....that's why need term limits.

State run media needs to get off this after the Saturday funeral. Don't drag this out like the junkie Michael Jackson.

Khayyam Qaiser   August 28th, 2009 1:19 am ET

Tracing back in hisory, assisination of President JFK left a mark on my heart though I was very young at that time. Since then, I became great admirer of the Kennedy familiy. Indeed, the passing away of Senator Kennedy is a great loss for the people of USA. He was a great Senator and a great man . May his soul rest in peace in heaven.

Norm from Minnesota   August 28th, 2009 1:45 am ET

For over 50 years, this country has had the pleasure of being represented by the Kennedy brothers threw good and bad times, all 3 of them stood on common ground with ambitions of representing all the people of the United States. Sure at times they made a mistake and they got caught with there fingers in the cookie jar, since when do we all live in a perfect world.

Norm from Minnesota   August 28th, 2009 1:51 am ET

To Terry from Texas – why dont you take a long walk off a short pier, sure hope you dont ever leave Texas with that chip on your shoulder.

Hugh Carpenter ~ Tracy, California   August 28th, 2009 2:44 am ET

Norm, I'm with you, Terry, TX is a right-wing conservative fanatic who always downs anyone not right-wing republican. The accusations he tries to pin on Ted Kennedy is a lot of horse manure.

Terry, TX , I hope when you expire you are sent to the infernal regions! Ted Kennedy did more good for people in one day then you could do in one hundred years!

Mark My Words   August 28th, 2009 9:39 am ET

Unacceptable. A man who claims to be for the little guy and champion of the oppressed and for civil rights. Check his record on voting for late term abortion. No civil rights for the unborn babies.

Mark My Words   August 28th, 2009 9:43 am ET

Tell it like it is, Terry, TX,

the libs can't cover up his careless behavior, stuff that you and I would've been jailed for.

joey   August 28th, 2009 9:51 am ET

Emma,,rumor has it she was asked by 3 children but declined..hopefully she will be @ funeral mass on Sat..from day one when she married Sen Kennedy, Vickie always complimented Joan on her 3 beautiful children..they were walking together @ Eunice Shriver's funeral, when V & Ted were married Sen Kennedy. took Vickie's children to his heart & soul, they became like his own & they bec. a wonderful blended family,,I have family who live on CapeCod...the 2nd marriage for both was a marriage made in heaven,,reminds me of the song"Love is wonderful the second time around"....I think it was the success of his 2nd marriage that enabled him to be so successful in his career...he was very lucky....

Cookla   August 28th, 2009 10:05 am ET

The history of all the Kennedy's will live on Ted is the last so a new chapter one thing is for sure l will miss that smile he was a fighter until his end he has left his mark in the history book's of America and will never be forgotten how could we forget a Kennedy they are in the heart's of so many people all around the world.
RIP Teddy.
Cookla.

sammy   August 28th, 2009 10:17 am ET

Terry TX..feel sorry for you, you have so much hate in your heart & sould,,,Only the Lord judges..May he rest in peace & pass on to his many rewards...Looking forward to viewing the funeral mass tomorrow,,Have they heard from GWBush yet ?...Carter will be there also..but Carter & GW do not like ea. other..but they will come together tomorrow in peace, hopefully,,Pres. arter is getting old, also & so is Bush 41 ....& Sargant Shriver, in his 90's ...

Donald Brooks   August 28th, 2009 11:21 am ET

We have lost the one Senator that was always fighting for the working man. Now that Senator Kennedy is gone who do we have to speak for normal Americans? God bless Ted Kennedy and his family.

peter   August 28th, 2009 11:26 am ET

Terry from TX.."Any one who has never made a mistake is either dead or not doing anything". Only the Lord judges..we can say OJ Simpson was guilty of 2 murders..but only the LORD will judge...

Dave   August 28th, 2009 12:06 pm ET

Larrry King so far has done a great job with covering Ted Kennedys death, lets just hope he doesn't go overboard like he did with michael jackson.

Karri Nebraska   August 28th, 2009 12:31 pm ET

I send my prayers to the Kennedy family. I am so sorry for your loss. The Nation has lost a good man, he stood for so much, I have followed your family for years, May God bless each and every one of you folks.

Ted   August 28th, 2009 12:45 pm ET

Terry, Tx, every time you open your mouth something nasty comes out!! You must be a very lonely, bitter and miserable person without friends and joy of life.
Ted Kennedy did make mistakes, one very major one, however after you balance the sides you will see he did a lot more good than you every did!
He is fighting for universal health since about 30 years, but he fights against people like you Terry, who really doesn´t care about anybody else, but himself. I judge you to be a retired military who got his medical care for nothing, paid by the taxes of those who cannot efford medical insurance for themselves.
The USA is a rich country, but we are in the 37th place in the world as far as good medical service goes. Shame on us, Terry!

lawrence   August 28th, 2009 1:14 pm ET

we have lost our advocate for the poor, the uninsured, the sick, homeless, the seniors/who will be in trouble when Medicare is gone/...I hate to think @ it, I'm almost 80 yrs..& we have lost our retirement fund w/Merrill Lynch..

dee   August 28th, 2009 1:21 pm ET

Larry – Why is it we can't use discretion when airing comments. Even people in pulic life have the right to respect and privacy. Comments from sickos who feast on negativity should not be acknowledged.

Ted Kennedy is first to admit he wasn't perfect but look at his accomplishments. To most of us he was a gifted generous man.
We share the deep saddness of his wife and family.

Hugh Carpenter ~ Tracy, California   August 28th, 2009 4:49 pm ET

@Mark My Words
The abortion comments aimed at Ted Kennedy only prove how spiteful you and othe right-wing religious fanatics are. A zygote is not a human being, it only has the potential to become one.

"The reason religious fanatics cannot demonstrate love is because their hearts are filled with anger, hate, judgement and rage."

Linda   August 29th, 2009 2:25 am ET

My sympathy goes out to the Kennedy family. He will be missed by many people.

Mark My Words   September 1st, 2009 5:18 am ET

Hugh Carp.

Late-term abortion... look it up. Your response is 100% misguided.
I'm just an average Independent who sees through the left wing fanaticism like yours.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter