CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 27, 2009

Sheriff: Kidnap victim, children kept in backyard shed

Posted: 06:49 PM ET

(CNN) - An 11-year-old California girl snatched from the street in front of her house in 1991 had two children with the man accused of taking her and lived in a secret backyard shed, authorities said Thursday.

Jaycee Lee Dugard as she looked in 1991 and an age-progression image of what she might look like as an adult.

The 18-year mystery of what happened to Jaycee Dugard ended this week when a sex offender admitted to authorities that he abducted her.

Jaycee was abducted from South Lake Tahoe in June 1991, said Fred Kollar, undersheriff of El Dorado County. The case began to unfold when the sex offender, Phillip Garrido, 58, was stopped and questioned by campus police at the University of California at Berkeley.

With him were two children and a woman identified only as Alissa, who DNA tests later revealed was Dugard, now 29. The children were later determined to be Garrido's and Dugard's, Kollar said.

During questioning by a parole officer, Garrido admitted to having abducted Dugard and said the two children were his, said Scott Kernan, undersecretary for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Garrido and and his wife, Nancy, were taken into custody and held at the jail in Concord, California. An officer at the jail said the two had been booked and were ordered held on $1 million bail. They are now being held in El Dorado County, according to public records.

Phillip Garrido had been booked on charges of kidnapping, conspiracy and related offenses, the officer said. Nancy Garrido was booked on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.

Phillip Garrido was paroled from a Nevada state prison June 8, 1988, and served time in federal custody and in Nevada for sexual assault, the corrections department said. The Department of Justice's Megan's Law page shows that the arrest involved a charge of forcible rape.

Dugard, now 29, is in "good health," the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department said.

(Read More)

Click here for more information about CUE Center for Missing Persons' efforts to locate missing individuals.

Filed under: Crime • Larry King Live

RFergy   August 27th, 2009 6:56 pm ET

I am glad she was found safe!!!!!

carol kesling   August 27th, 2009 7:17 pm ET

hope she can try to pick up the pieces of her life.. thank god she is safe.phillip and nancy garrido should "BE PUT UNDER THE JAIL" these people are sick,sick individuals !!!!!!!!!!!

mare   August 27th, 2009 7:45 pm ET

I remember seeing this sweet child's face all over Los Angeles in the early 90s. I am glad she and her daughters are safe, but they are going to need so much therapy.
And of course, he is a preacher. Things like him give religion a bad name.

John DeFlumeri Jr   August 27th, 2009 8:44 pm ET

What a relief to see a Joyful Ending to a terrible story!

John DeFlumeri Jr Clearwater, Fla.

Janice   August 27th, 2009 8:58 pm ET

Amazing! I am glad that she was found.

Mike Armstrong TX.   August 27th, 2009 9:09 pm ET

They should do to this creep as they do to cattle hangings to good for this low life pedefile.

Nikki   August 27th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Although she must have gone through hell, miracles can happen.
My prayers go out to her and her family to be able to begin the healing process and reconnect.

Milexy   August 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

My prayers go out to her, her children and family. That phsycotic man needs to be put away and the key thrown out. It sad that this system let him go the 1st time, I hope they learned their lesson now.
May the Lord bring JC peace and happiness through these trying times.

Dodie ~ California   August 27th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Living in a 6 foot square box for 18 years of your life is worse than being on death row. This is what happens when people who commit violent crimes are released. This woman will have the same PTSD as a prisoner of war veteran. She will wake up screaming, drinking and using drugs to try and forget! Her life is destroyed because of this man. I hope he will be locked up for the rest of his life!!!

John H   August 27th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

I just have to wonder what sort of psychological methods and threats Garrido and his wife must have applied to keep this young girl from making a break for freedom. At age 11, she must have had a concept of what normal life should be like and have wanted to break away. They were out in public together and didn't make an attempt to tell someone how they were being held? Maybe I'm just trying to inject an adult thought process into an young girls mind but I just can't understand it. I am glad she and the girls are free and the stepfather who has lived with the suspicion hanging over his head is finally vindicated. I'm sure we'll hear a lot more about this in the future and my questions will likely be answered. I hope Jaycee is able to reenter the world and reconnect with her family. It's always good to hear an "and they lived happily ever after" story and I hope that that is the case.

Judy   August 28th, 2009 12:22 am ET

Thank goodness they found her. I lived in Reno NV at the time that this happened. I remember her step-father helpless to do anything for her. He was in the garage working but saw her walking down the street to catch the bus and then saw the car stop and grab her. I hope now that she is back with her mother she can get help and live a "normal" life. What are they going to do with the two children she must have been forced to have with that sicko. WHAT ABOUT HIS WIFE. was she clueless blind and deaf and why didn't she call the police on this guy unless she molesting too.

Kelly   August 28th, 2009 8:57 am ET

that bad guy should sentence to death...

Vallary   August 28th, 2009 10:05 am ET

What a awful story with a happy ending. Please just hold this young lady. She has been through so much and now her children. Hugs every 5 minutes. Young lady you will make it through this. You will. I hope the two that did this get the death penalty, And the wife that was aressted also how could you let this happen to another women?

Rose Vargas   August 28th, 2009 3:42 pm ET

How terrible for this young lady to have suffered like she did. My hope is that she will be able to put this nightmare behind her find peace in her sole. I hope they through the book at those people.

GELA   September 1st, 2009 2:59 am ET

i give out my prayers to Jaycee Dugard and hope that she will be able to continue living in a safer environment. I pray to God that he gives her the strength and courage to heal and move on from this tragic. I am a young teen and i feel that she has been shattered from enjoying her childhood and pursue an education. When I heard about this story on the news I was shocked. I wanted to cry a little with hatred and sadness knowing that someone so young had to go through something so unjust and wrong. I know that God will help Jaycee and I know that God is good enough to give a new beginning for her and her children.

iasia   September 1st, 2009 11:05 am ET

I thank GOD!!!! that she was found alive and my prays go out to her and the family .... I hope they send that demon back to hell...... right along with his wife.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter