CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 27, 2009

Celebrity crime writer and frequent LKL guest dies

Posted: 07:38 AM ET

Dominick Dunne, the former Hollywood producer and best-selling author known for his Vanity Fair essays on the courtroom travails of the rich and famous, died Wednesday in New York city after a long battle with cancer.

Dunne, who described himself as "a high-class Zelig," was 83.

Called "Nick" by his friends, Dunne was putting the finishing touches on his final novel, which he said he planned to call "Too Much Money," when his health took a turn for the worse.

He flew to Germany earlier this month for another round of stem cell treatments at the same Bavarian clinic where the late Farrah Fawcett was treated. He was hospitalized upon his return to New York, then sent home.

As a correspondent for Vanity Fair magazine, Dunne was a fixture at some of the most famous trials of our times - Claus von Bulow, William Kennedy Smith, the Menendez brothers, O.J. Simpson, Michael Skakel and Phil Spector.

He discovered his magazine writing career in his 50s, through personal tragedy - his daughter's murder.

Filed under: Larry King Live

Janice   August 27th, 2009 11:42 am ET

I will miss him. He was very aggressive in exposing the seedy side of celebrity when it came to murder. RIP Mr. Dunne.

Tony   August 27th, 2009 12:54 pm ET

The first time I saw Mr Dunne I thought 'who is this angry little man?', then I too lost a child to murder, now I understand too well. Have a swell journey to heaven, a happy reunion with your wife and daughter, and please...say "Hey" to Marky for me.

Trudy   August 27th, 2009 4:42 pm ET

Although I appreciate all what was said that Senator Ted Kennedy did for the masses, it wasn't just that. I know he had friends to commit today such as Vice President and President who said he did things for them personally. Although I like that he did for his personal friends, but why isn't it that he would reach out to some of us in th masses and do one little thing for some of us, like just buy and pay for us a decent home to live in? We the working class minority, we the working class medically disinfranchised, we the working class hard to pay for our education. I have a student loan that I am still paying for and I am almost sixty years old. My husband served in three wars and two conflicts, and we never were able to get a single home in a decent neighborhood before he died. It took me eight years to get his 100% diability and after one year of him collecting it he Died! I truly miss my husband, who just happened to be the Second Black Navy Seal, One of the President's One-Hundred. And many more honorable qualities and yet he died before he was able to get and live out his American Dream of just owning one Single Brand New Built Home. May God continue to bless the Kennedy Family and all his Friends and Constituents.

carol kesling   August 27th, 2009 5:36 pm ET

i will miss dominick dunne alot.. he was a kind soul and to think his daughters killed only spent a few years in jail.... so much for justice, anyone would would be angry about that...i trully enjoyed watching him on power priviledge and justice... i was so upset hearing nancy grace telling us about him on her show last night ( his passing)... god bless and keep you dominick, you are a true angel !!!!!!!!!

unknown   August 27th, 2009 8:17 pm ET

Mr. Dunne was as sweet as apple pie he treated my daughter so kind when we met at the cafe in the LA court house during the OJ Simpson trial, he told her he hated those taco's they served and that he wish they would serve meals instead, he said hi little girl, today she's 29 and she say's he was so nice and kind when I met him, God receive your soul Mr. Dunne.

rico   August 27th, 2009 11:50 pm ET

Larrry, DD lies beneath some octo dads sob story? i dont think that is any way to celebrate someone who got me to watch your show.

Terry, TX   August 28th, 2009 12:06 am ET

Rest in peace Mr. Dunne....the angels are with you and your daughter.

Fred   September 5th, 2009 12:07 pm ET

I enjoyed reading anything by Dominick Dunne since my first awareness of him when he published People Like Us. His column was the first I would look for when Vanity Fair arrived each month. He seemed to be such a gentleman in an era when that quality isn't appreciated as it should be. I will miss his unique perch from which he observed those he wrote about. Hopefully LKL will have a future broadcast dedicated to him. Lastly his name was my response to the age old question of "If you had to be stranded on a deserted island with someone, who would it be?" Just think of all the stories to while away the time!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter