CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 5, 2009

Abdul leaving American Idol!

Posted: 07:11 AM ET

Simon Cowell and the other judges on 'American Idol' will not have Paula Abdul to kick around anymore.

Abdul announced late Monday night on her official Twitter page that she will not be returning to the highly popular show.

"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to IDOL. I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon," the statement said on Abdul's verified Twitter account.

A statement from Fox and the companies that produce the show verified that Abdul was leaving.

"Paula Abdul has been an important part of the 'American Idol' family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show," the statement said. "While Paula will not be continuing with us, she's a tremendous talent and we wish her the best."

Fans had been posting comments on social network sites for over a week wondering whetherAbdul was going to return to the show.

Filed under: American Idol • Entertainment • Hollywood

Lora   August 5th, 2009 7:18 am ET

American Idol will not be the same without Paula....I think the other lady, whatever her name is, should be let go....NOT PAULA!

Don't know if I will watch the show now!

JN   August 5th, 2009 7:31 am ET

It is good once for all. She was doing fine, but it did not help her.

Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada   August 5th, 2009 9:51 am ET

I love Paula ! It can't be true she is leaving i will miss her .American Idol is missing thier leading lady !

vallary   August 5th, 2009 9:58 am ET

I think this is a shame. that they would RYAN so much money to stay and no her. I liked her she would go off the deep end sometimes but, she is a good preformer and she knows the bussiness. WHAT a shame. Well I will have to find something else to watch

Honorine   August 5th, 2009 10:47 am ET

Paula is a sweet heart. Contestants are definitely going to miss her and wish she was there to save them from the cruel remarks of S.C.(as we all know).

Hey Paula, they might not have offered u a great deal like they did Ryan, but maybe this is going to open better doors for u.

michele canada   August 5th, 2009 10:52 am ET

i won't be watching it...karen sucks big time on the show can't stand watching her.....i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the bickering between Paula and Simon....those 2 are the stars of the show.....well idol just lost a viewer.....but at same time i wonder...if its because Simon and Paula are not dating anymore and its to uncomfortable for Paula

Lori   August 5th, 2009 10:52 am ET

Well could this be the end of American Idol? It's ratings have not been as good as they once were. Maybe we will see Paula on So You Think You Can Dance instead? She would be a good judge for that show.

ete   August 5th, 2009 11:16 am ET

Paula brought a special flavour to the show, It would be a while before people adjust to the fact that she's not there. American Idols would lose some followership for sure.

ete   August 5th, 2009 11:17 am ET

Paula brought a special flavour to the show, It would be a while before people adjust to the fact that she’s not there. American Idol would lose some followership for sure.

MIMI   August 5th, 2009 11:26 am ET

WHO WANTS TO KNOW

Belgium   August 5th, 2009 12:04 pm ET

I love Paul, she's always encouraging contestants. It looks like she is enjoing what she's doing. The show will not be the same without her.
As for Karen I really don't care for her to much. I hope she's coming back. Paula, we love you!!!!

d5   August 5th, 2009 12:08 pm ET

Good Morning to everyone: I think it's a shame. Is Paula being dismissed, or is she just leaving on her own because of money? This is a bad time to be leaveing a job, if this is the case. As I said on another blog. Jobs are very unpredictable and hard to find, including the "ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY".".".Never allow anyone or anything to come between , or destroy your "LIVELIHOOD". The love of money will destroy you, but who in their right mind would turn down "TWO-MILLION DOLLARS". again , if this is the case. In that business there may not be a lot of "AWARDS" , but a lot of "REWARDS". I hope she re-considers if it is not to late, if not, I wish her well, she is an integral part of "AMERICAN IDOL".

joe   August 5th, 2009 12:11 pm ET

you know it has something to do with michael jackson.

d5   August 5th, 2009 12:13 pm ET

To the Companies who produce " AMERICAN IDOL" SHAME ON YOU YOU WILL LOSE RATEINGS

carol   August 5th, 2009 12:54 pm ET

thank goodness. As a viewer, listening to her stutter her way thru a simple sentence was excruitating.

MIMI   August 5th, 2009 1:31 pm ET

The producers have to pay the money that Paula wants. She is an important piece of the show.

Cindy   August 5th, 2009 3:12 pm ET

This honestly spells the end coming to the show. They should have dumped Kara who irritates the hell out of me and given Paula the raise she deserved. Paula was the balance needed at the judging table to balance out all the negativity that could destroy a contestants determination to try and do their best. I sure as heck don't think I'll be as interested in watching the show anymore. Part of the enjoyment of the show was watching the interaction between Simon and Paula. Another thing I really got a kick out of her quirky ways and she made the show fun. Now it will just be boring and like any other reality show. Big mistake Idol!

Sara   August 5th, 2009 3:16 pm ET

Paula...your amazing humor, words of encouragement, dancing and
crazy/sparkling outfits will be missed
I'm pretty certain Simon will not be the same without you!
I wish you the very best!!

D.M.Taylor   August 5th, 2009 3:35 pm ET

I will miss Paula,she is a good person on the show. The American idol made me take an interest in Paula.

Madeline Kirchheimer   August 5th, 2009 4:20 pm ET

If Paula leaves...so will I! I am now an ex-Idol fan. I cannot tolerate the other woman on there. In reality...she needs to go!

Lori Quebec Canada   August 5th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

American Idol won't be the same without Paula......we will miss you Paula

tamara deer   August 6th, 2009 1:34 pm ET

i think franhk dileo is a liar. i beleive aeg was controllingmicael. michael was weak and needed money and they took advantage of him. he wasn't fit to do all those concerts. why would a doctor even be at his house if he was well. frank knew about him abusing drugs and taking depravan. michaels' anestheoligist from a prior to was tracked down and was interveiwed on tv. frank is a smooth talker and i dont beleive a word he says.

Lita Aquilizan   August 6th, 2009 1:42 pm ET

American Idol does not need Paula Abdul. Many times, we cannot pick up what she was trying to say on the contestants. Either she sounds drunk or looks high. I'm sorry but there many other better hosts around.

carol   August 6th, 2009 1:53 pm ET

i couldn't agree more. good riddence. Listening to her is torture.

They should get rid of all of them (except Ryan). Spoiled rich no talent people earning tens of millions of dollars to do absolutely nothing.

You would think Idol Gives Back would enlighten 'the judges' as to what real life for millions of people is like & how fortunate they are but 'earning' millions of dollars is still not enough.

This is probably a Paula stunt & she will be back. Too bad

Roy Mabe Jr.   August 7th, 2009 4:24 pm ET

Paula Abdul was an asset on "American Idol"She will be sorely missed.

Vitoria   August 8th, 2009 1:42 am ET

Paula just made a statement by leaving the show , it is about principles and self respect not only about money , it takes a bigger person to pass on the message , from a girl to a girl I understand !

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter