CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 28, 2009

NFL reinstates Michael Vick on conditional basis

Posted: 07:23 AM ET

Nearly two years after he pleaded guilty to a federal charge of bankrolling a dogfighting operation at a home he owned in Virginia, Michael Vick was reinstated to the National Football League on a conditional basis, according to an NFL statement Monday.

Vick "will be considered for full reinstatement and to play in regular-season games by Week 6 based on the progress he makes in his transition plan," the statement said. Week 6 of the NFL season is in October.

Vick may participate in practices, workouts and meetings and may play in his club's final two preseason games under the conditions of his reinstatement, the league said.

Vick, in a statement, thanked the league's commissioner and former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, who has served as his mentor.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Commissioner [Roger] Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said in a statement. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given."

Filed under: Justice

Adrienne   July 28th, 2009 8:08 am ET

Is this another example racial bias?? Wonder if Big Ben had done such a thing if he would have to pay such an extreme price. Give the man a chance and let him play.

Marcus Nordquist   July 28th, 2009 8:14 am ET

Hello!

When can we see Jaque Fresco back on your show?

Regards,
Marcus

lou7200 Tulsa   July 28th, 2009 12:27 pm ET

Regardless of his criminal activity, you have to give Vick props for how he handled his time. He didn't scream "racism" like that goofball in Cambridge. He didn't solicit Jesse or Al to cry for him. He just took it like he needed to, did his time, and now is taking his chance.

The man paid his dues, give him the opportunity to redeem himself. I would venture to say he has learned his lesson.

Cindy   July 28th, 2009 2:06 pm ET

I'm sorry Lou but I must disagree with you. Vickers only served a very short amount of time for his offense and I was really hoping that the NFL wouldn't take Vickers back. I watched a special show on the Vickers case the day he was released from prison and to be honest before that I didn't pay any attention to what had happened and didn't know all that it entailed. After watching the tv special on it, I was left in complete shock that any human being could do what Vickers did to those dogs. Never in a million years could I imagine that kind of horror. I think if more people had seen the actual footage from the dog fighting operation and how cruely those dogs were killed and how the operation had no care at all and how they would kill the dogs that couldn't fight any longer or breed. It was the most cruelest thing I've ever seen. I'm sorry but I can't forgive any human being doing what he did and I'm extremely disappointed in how the NFL is reacting. Vickers honestly didn't appear to even be sorry about it nor was his apology sincere. The best punishment would have been if Vickers had to serve community service working at a humane shelter at least once a week for the rest of his life. Maybe then he could make up for the horrors of what his fighting operation did.

a. thompson   July 28th, 2009 3:48 pm ET

michael vick should return to his job. he has paid his dues. people get less time for killing a human. if someone kills and serve their time, they can find a job. don't get me wrong i don't condone what he has done. i have watched him admit his wrong doing. i think he is truly sorry. you might say he is sorry that he has been caught, but sometimes that is why in our subconcious want to get caught to stop our bad behavior.

lana   July 28th, 2009 5:12 pm ET

He did not pay his dues, he's a selfish loser who doesn't deserve anything more than to be tortured like those dogs. I f he fails to " Perform well", he should be hung, shot, drowned, stabbed, or electrocuted. Don't bring the race card in to this, any color of a person deserves the death penalty over this.

Toni   July 29th, 2009 3:19 am ET

Lana
I agree 100%. This guy is a sick human being. If he can treat an animal like this, what would he do to a child. For someone to do the things they do in these dog rings, they have to have sick and sadistic minds. This guy doesnt deserve anything more someone to beat him up, then a wall slam, his teeth painfully sharpened, a quick cold bath and electrocution. A poor excuse for a human being.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter