CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 21, 2009

Tyler Perry sending kids at center of controversy to Disney World

Posted: 08:30 AM ET

Tyler Perry, the star, writer and producer of films such as "Madea Goes to Jail" and the television show "House of Payne," could be adding philanthropist to his growing list of credits.

According to his publicist, Perry is sponsoring a Disney World trip for 65 Pennsylvania children at a largely minority day-care center after a swim club canceled pool privileges for the children.

"He wanted to do something nice for them and let them know that for every negative experience, there are people out there who want them to succeed regardless of the color of their skin," said Keleigh Thomas, Perry's publicist. She added the entertainer would be footing the bill for all transportation, hotel, admissions and food costs at the Florida theme park.

When Perry heard about the situation with the children in the highly publicized aftermath of the pool cancellation, he immediately wanted to help them, Thomas told CNN, adding that a trip to Disney World is definitely "better than the pool."

"I am ecstatic for the children," Alethea Wright, director of the Creative Steps day-care center, told CNN. Perry's team extended the offer to her on Friday, she said. The Disney World stay will be from August 1 to 3, according to Perry's Web site.

tzsup_impact_your_world

Filed under: Hollywood

Adrienne   July 21st, 2009 8:56 am ET

I think that is the nicest thing he could do. I will never forget seeing that little boy with tears in his eyes because he heard the people in charge of the pool saying bad things about black people. I hope the kids have a good time. Can I come??

Linda from New York   July 21st, 2009 9:07 am ET

Hi Adrienne:
That was really said seeing that little boy cry like that; it broke my heart. We can't forget that racism still exist. Thank you Tyler Perry.

Linda from New York   July 21st, 2009 9:08 am ET

correction:
"really sad"

Adrienne   July 21st, 2009 9:18 am ET

It was even more horrible have those people blatantly deny it. Those kids will have more fun in Disney World. Thank you Tyler Perry, you are a good man.

Lisa   July 21st, 2009 9:39 am ET

I had to force myself to finish watching the interview last nite with Joe "BS" Jackson.. is he for real???????? I cant stand to even look at that man... he denies everything... i dont even think he has all his marbles!!!! cant hold a conversation.... cant even concentrate on the question.. its like hes in another world!!!!

Lisa   July 21st, 2009 9:40 am ET

oops sorry.. posted on the wrong blog..

RAZ T.V politic crew   July 21st, 2009 10:31 am ET

If Michael Jackson did'nt die wold you have mentiond anything about
the 7 solders that died that day? Because thats the most solders that
died this year!

RAZ T.V politic crew   July 21st, 2009 10:34 am ET

Lisa tell us what you think of MJ.

RAZ T.V politic crew   July 21st, 2009 10:37 am ET

Mr.Obama is only thare to renew the words "Black In America".

Honorine   July 21st, 2009 10:37 am ET

Ofcourse i knew they were going to deny it given the fact that they knew how negatively it will affect their business. I always say, in every situation give thanks. Alot of good things come to us in different ways, masked up and shaddy.

Tyler Perry, keep doing what u're doing.God works in miraculous ways. My heart is jubilating for these kids. They'll not only get to swim in one of the best pools in the world, they'll get to do many other great things and have the fun of a life time. Thanks Tyler Perry.

pegasus   July 21st, 2009 11:12 am ET

Wow! What a blessing for these kids. Tyler Perry is a wonderful guy to step in and help these kids after they were so hurt by the evilness and hatefulness of white people at a country club all because of the color of their skin. Those were innocent kids who only wanted to swim. But noooooo, the white folks couldn't handle that and quickly labeled those kids as thieves, monkeys, etc. What the devil meant for harm, God turned it into good for those kids. I wish those kids the best and most joyful time at Disney World. Let it be an experience that they won't ever forget.

Lori   July 21st, 2009 12:12 pm ET

Thank you for doing something wonderful for these children.

Quietstorm   July 21st, 2009 1:39 pm ET

Someone is mentioning soldiers that died the day Michael Jackson died..Soldiers die every day..thats nothing new...they chose to go into the service and try to fight a war that will never end..They are honored all the time..we hear about soldiers dying so much that its like saying "pass the salt"..im tired of the war..the killings...the soldiers that come home from war with PTSD..im sick of all of it...im sick of hearing about it..this is a neverending war...i see no positive result

Jackson 5 Fan   July 21st, 2009 2:39 pm ET

It is wonderful what Tyler is doing for those kids! God blesss him! He is such a good brotha! I know the kids are ecstatic!!!!! I wish the Obama's would invite the kids to the White House.

Pamela Usher   July 21st, 2009 3:19 pm ET

BLESSINGS ON YOU, Mr. TYLER PERRY!!! WHAT A WONDERFUL GESTURE ON YOUR PART....THOSE CHILDREN WILL NEVER FORGET SUCH KINDNESS, AS I HOPE THAT YOUR OUTREACH WILL SMOTHER THE HURT & ANGUISH THAT THEY SUFFERED...LOVE YA, MR. PERRY...AND KEEP THE SHOWS COMING....I THOROUGHLY ENJOY THEM....

BLESSINGS ON YOU!

carrie leber   July 21st, 2009 6:03 pm ET

good for Tyler – he seems like a great guy!

patti   July 21st, 2009 6:20 pm ET

what a wonderful human being !

susan   July 21st, 2009 8:24 pm ET

Tyler Perry – you are awesome, what you are doing is so very king!! It was hearbreaking to see the little boy crying.

susan   July 21st, 2009 8:25 pm ET

correction

very kind!!

Comfort Max-Wirth   July 21st, 2009 8:29 pm ET

I have always been a big fan of Tyler Perry's, and this gesture of his definitely shows that he really fears God and the Spirit of God is in him. God Bless you Tyler, and may all that you touch turn to GOLD.

michelle marshall   July 21st, 2009 8:39 pm ET

Thanks Tyler. you have a rare quality that i really appreciate. You knew exactly how these children felt. I am so proud that you choose to reach out and uplift this group and show them that we care about them. I support you 100 percent.

Carey   July 21st, 2009 9:08 pm ET

Way to go Tyler!! My son is only 10 and he was disgusted when he heard about those kids being asked to leave the pool. He said 'color doesn't come off into the pool so what is their problem?' He went on to say 'maybe the kids should be allowed to swim and those mean people should go sit on the sidewalks.' He was very angry and justly so...I want him to be angry! I thought we had evolved from such bigotry...shameful.

Amanda $ -IL   July 21st, 2009 9:48 pm ET

TYLER PERRY, you rock! Youre so wonderful for what youre doing. Keep it up. Btw, I love your movies lol.

The world needs more people like you 2.

karen   July 21st, 2009 11:34 pm ET

Wow! Tyler Perry, you are my hero today. What a fantastic thing to do for those kids. My heart broke when I heard one little boy on the news say that he didn't think people thought like that anymore (referring to the white people at the pool). You are generous and have a heart of gold. Blessings to you and the kids, Karen, Orlando, FL

Malaika Afrika   July 22nd, 2009 9:33 am ET

God bless Tyler Perry..... but i'd rather be in Africa if this is how black pple are treated in America, its a shame really especially with way america claim to be the biggest democracy

Linda Walker   July 22nd, 2009 12:19 pm ET

please delete – "Notify me of follow-up comments via email"
Please do not email comments to my email address –
linjoy10@hotmail.com

The submit box was x'd in error.

george   July 22nd, 2009 1:30 pm ET

one of the children may grow up to be the President of the US..God bless Tyler Perry !...

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter