CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 2, 2009

Celebrity death rumors spread on the internet

Posted: 09:33 AM ET

After a string of real celebrity deaths last week, the Internet and online social networks killed a few more stars.

Despite what you may have read, Jeff Goldblum, Natalie Portman, George Clooney, Britney Spears, Harrison Ford and Rick Astley are alive.

Fake news of their deaths flew across the Internet - particularly on online social networks like Twitter and Facebook - after Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon were reported dead.

The situation is calling attention to the changing state of the news media: As information online moves faster and comes from more sources, it's more difficult to verify what's true and what may be shockingly false.

Some have downplayed the situation, saying the rumors are not harmful. Others find the situation offensive in light of the actual deaths last week.

Internet-savvy readers can tell the difference between fake news and real information that has been verified by a trusted blogger or mainstream news reporter, said Gabriel Snyder, managing editor at Gawker, a celebrity news and gossip blog not associated with the rumors.

Filed under: Entertainment

nav   July 2nd, 2009 11:28 am ET

i wish people would stop talking about who the kids biological father is now that michael has passed away.... it seems like he was a great father to his 3 children....this type of press is very negative for children...that was their father regardless of whether he was genetically...anyone can be a parent but to be a loving father is completly different...celebrities adopt all the time. why are we giving michael such a hard time? just because someone is biologically related doesnt mean they make a good parent.

Becky W.   July 2nd, 2009 12:39 pm ET

Since Micheal's death all I can think about is giving him a hug. I know that is impossible but the want/need is still there. A hug would show him that he is loved and every thing is going to be alright.

Edwin Wilson   July 2nd, 2009 1:03 pm ET

Enough of Michael Jackson. The world did not stop with his death so lets move on. Tired of hearing 24 hours per day.

sheila bruno   July 2nd, 2009 1:09 pm ET

God gives us LOVE; something to LOVE he lends us! The loaning of MICHAEL JACKSON was indeed an honor! Through his death, our debt to God has been paid in full! Thus, grateful am I for the memories bestowed upon the world that will dwell in me forever more! Seldom do we agree with the LORD's timing on calling his children home, hopefully, this reminder of MICHAEL being loaned to us becomes an inspiration to all of us that loved him dearly! My sincere prayers are to the family, especially MOTHER JACKSON!!!

Atsede Negussey   July 2nd, 2009 2:20 pm ET

I am deeply sudden by Michael Jackson's untimely and tragic death. I loved his music like every one else, however, I never bought in to the allegations of child molestation and all that. Michael was a gentle soul, and would never hurt any one. He was not allowed to be a child and never was able to fit in to our adult life, it is too complicated and cruel for him. He liked children, because he himself had child like innocence. That made him a perfect target, for those who seek fame and fortune. Michael has done a lot of good things in his life, no one is talking about that, all they want to talk about is, his plastic surgery, and his drug addiction. Even in death, he is been exploited by people seeking a five minute fame on TV. I could name several people in Hollywood who do not look any thing like they did 20year or 30years ago, due to plastic surgery. Michael is resting now, no one can hurt him. I hope and pray that people will leave his children alone, so they can live a normal life.
Michael, thank you for the memory .
One of your fans

Rose   July 2nd, 2009 3:32 pm ET

Just wait and see how many people who claim they were witnesses to Michael's last days will come crawling out and give conflicting and unreasonable statements about what happened. Many will sell their unverified stories to the tabloids for money. A nurse discussing a patient's medicine is unethical and illegal (against privacy laws).

Anyone who stood within any radius of Michael will have "their" own story to tell. Most will be false and will attempt to tarnish Michael. Wait until the "tell-all" books get published against a person who cannot defend himself. The money-game continues unfortunately.

Peace to Michael.

Jan   July 2nd, 2009 3:48 pm ET

I feel so bad for the kids, I'm sure they have to know people are all saying "Who the Daddy " & that must be so painful for them. This will go on for a long time & they are going to have a rough road ahead of them. I think Michael was only going on tour because he really needed the money. Who really knows if he were mentally & physically up for 50 concerts. It seems super stardom only causes grief & pain. Michael probably never felt anyone cared about him for who he was only his image & money. So sad, make he rest in peace.

Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada   July 2nd, 2009 4:32 pm ET

Only in America, one is presumed dead while still alive and presumed guilty while innocent. The media in America are all cracked.

Joe G. (Illinois)   July 2nd, 2009 5:49 pm ET

I once read that Natalie Portman graduated from an Ivy League school with a degree in psychology or “something.” And then on another I read that she made public statements into the affect that “sex is a major part of her life..” Now.. For the common gentile outside the celebrity’s inner circles that is reading all these blogs and the such.. What is it that one ought to believe anymore???

Kari   July 2nd, 2009 9:00 pm ET

Hello from Canada.
CLASSIC MICHAEL JACKSON!!! Larry, you have to show clips of "Say, Say, Say" with Paul McCartney........Un-freakin'-BELIEVABLE!!!!!

Anna   July 2nd, 2009 9:15 pm ET

I just finished watching videos of Michael Jackson on-line and the tears finally came. I remember when I was nine my friends and I would play house in the garage with the Jackson brothers as our boyfriends. I never got to have Michael, so opted for an older brother. We listened to the song Ben over and over again.

Coming from a very large talented musical family myself, I have such an appreciation for what Michael gave the world. His smile, voice, dance, compassion and heart shined everywhere and will continue to live on forever.

I am so sad that he is gone because I don't believe it was his time. He had so much more of his talent to share with all of us. I wish his family, friends and children prayers and support as they mourn and try to accept his passing. If I am having a hard time with it, I can't imagine what they are going through and wish them strength and patience to heal. Michael was a very talented legend and will live on as the king of all music. He will be greatly missed.

rthoo   July 2nd, 2009 9:55 pm ET

Larry, it's not of our business who's in his will. Have some respect.

Maria   July 3rd, 2009 12:48 am ET

Dear Michael
Dancing will be how to mourn.
Michael is still alive.
So many records
So many songs
He lives on forever
The Neverland will always bear his name and presence
His last performance was great
He was probably tired a little as I can see
He was a machine working hard
Sometimes you must take a break
He is still alive
He has helped a lot of people
He loved to live and work
Where is his teacher?
He is the greatest dancer and singer
Michael you are marvelous indeed!
The Neverland is serenity and enjoyment
Peace forever
My tears will pour for your kindness indeed.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter