CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 2, 2009

Impact Your World: Invisible Children

Posted: 03:46 PM ET

1tv.larrycustomTonight, Larry will talk with the team of filmmakers from the documentary  'Invisible Children.'  They, along with musician Pete Wentz of the band Fallout Boy will discuss this captivating film and the charity project they're promotion in relation to the film.

In the spring of 2003, three young Americans traveled to Africa in search of such as story.  What they found was a tragedy that disgusted and inspired them.  A story where children are weapons and children are the victims. The "Invisible Children: rough cut" film exposes the effects of a 20 year-long war on the children of Northern Uganda. These children live in fear of abduction by rebel soldiers, and are being forced to fight as a part of violent army. This wonderfully reckless documentary is fast paced, with an MTV beat, and is something truly unique. To see Africa through young eyes is humorous and heart breaking, quick and informative – all in the very same breath.  See this film, you will be forever changed.

For More:  www.invisiblechildren.com

--------------------------

With your help, the biggest lobby day in American history will be history in the making, leading to long overdue peace and safety for the children caught in the crossfire of Joseph Kony’s war. For two days this summer (June 22nd & 23rd), concerned citizens (and some high-profile cheerleaders) from every corner of the country will descend upon D.C. with one message: the time for peace is now, and this is how it ends. The program will include lobbying trainings, VIP speakers, a kick-off rally and will culminate in an unprecedented outpouring of activism on Capitol Hill, with hundreds of meetings taking place between Members of Congress and their constituents.

---------------------------

tzsup_impact_your_world

To learn more about CNN's Impact Your World campaign, please click here

Filed under: Impact Your World • Larry King Live

Mike Cox   June 2nd, 2009 4:58 pm ET

I just wanted to let Larry know that a very faithful fan of his has passed away. Her name was Helen Valentin And she watched nearly every show. She passed away at the young age of 99 so you see she seen alot. You were her favorite. God bless you.

Ruegene Harmon   June 2nd, 2009 7:42 pm ET

I like to read.I would love an autographed copy of your book and Mrs.John Edwards'.I would love to come on your show. I am 71 years old and I am writing a book that will enlighten what is wrong in the United States with the lack of accountability for the health care provided and laws not enforced.We do have many invisible children and families in this country that should not be. Can I come on your show before I finish my book.please call or E-mail me.could you please ask Mrs.Edwards to E-Mail me also.A faithful fan.

Ruegene Harmon   June 2nd, 2009 7:42 pm ET

myweddingstationery   June 2nd, 2009 8:47 pm ET

GOOD ON YA Larry for taking an interest in Invisible Children! Together we will make a difference. Here is Sydney Australia we are "all systems go!" to bring an end to the longest running war in Africa!

JOHN KENNEDY   June 2nd, 2009 9:12 pm ET

LARRY,
SHE IS SCOTTISH IN A VERY ENGLISH SHOW,PLEASE BELEIVE ME THAT IS THE ONLY REASON SHE DIDN'T WIN........
JOHN KENNEDY

JOHN KENNEDY   June 2nd, 2009 9:14 pm ET

This thing happens all the time in Britain,The british public willn't vote for a SCOTTISH person.
She is a angle.
JOHN KENNEDY

Michelle   June 2nd, 2009 9:53 pm ET

AREN'T THOSE KIDS BEING EXPLOITED?
Isn't there an age where kids cannot work, legally?
Are parents living – rather well – at the expense of those kids?
Will these kids ever be 'NORMAL', rather than performing 24 hours a day? Are they going to be friend material, with their big head, especially 'coached' by their show-off parents, mother at the head of the list?
And finally, DO WE NEED TO GLORIFY LARGE FAMILIES WHEN OTHERS IN THE WORLD ARE TO STOP AT ONE? This planet no longer makes differences between where a kid is born; it's the same planet that will need to feed all that mass; and with a bit a luck the 8 kids won't be so stupid as to want to copy their selfish narrow-minded, ignorant parents.
Give the kids a break!

michael sean wright   June 2nd, 2009 9:55 pm ET

The Invisible Children is the real-world example of the power of social media banning together to bring forth sustainable change. Thank you for having the team on tonight. The horrific crimes of Kony and the LRA happen when we lose focus and do nothing. Again, thank you for sharing the film and cause to your audience.

msw

Lynn Pham   June 2nd, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Thank you so much for featuring Invisible Children. They are an amazing organization with a cause that needs to be brought to the world's attention. Invisible Children realizes the role of social media and you contributed so much by just featuring them on your show. Hopefully, you will have them come back again! Thank you again!

Carol Ward   June 2nd, 2009 10:01 pm ET

Larry,I do not know where John Kennedy comes from in the UK dy but I think he is talking a lot of BS. I lived in the UK for 42 years before coming to live in the Country of my Birth, Canada. I knew lots of people through my life there and I never once heard that they didn't like the Scots, my Uncle married a lovely Scottish Lady, I think people like you make things worse in the World throwing these sort of Accusations around about English people. I certainly would have voted for Susan if I had still lived in the UK.
Of course the Scots and Anglo Saxons did have terrible battles over a Century ago but who didn't? I guess we grew up in a home where we
liked people because they were decent folk and not because they were from somewhere different from us.
Eh John is that how Scots folk spell wouldn't (willn't)? I certainly wouldn't be friendly with you because you don't spell the same as the Brits, I would accept it!!!!
My theory is that the majority of voters are young people who love the stuff that Diversity did, they were fabulous but for me Susan was the best, we all have differing opinions.
Carol.

Monica Krause   June 2nd, 2009 10:29 pm ET

It's great that Invisible Children has brought so much attention to the war in Northern Uganda, and they're Schools for Schools program has helped out a lot of kids in Uganda. However, I'm concerned about the legislation that they will be lobbying for. It calls for the disarmament of the LRA and the capture of Kony and other rebel leaders. Who will be the ones capturing them? Who are the "international partners?" The army of Uganda? The U.S. has been throwing money at them left and right for years and the people of Northern Uganda are tired of it. I recently spent 2 months there studying the war and everyone I talked to spoke of political and social reconciliation, not a military one. The LRA is currently in the Democratic Republic of Congo anyway. Even the UN can't do a thing to help anyone there. The chaos in the DRC is also being ignored by the world. Stopping Kony won't end the terror when other rebel groups are still operating.

Rafat F   June 2nd, 2009 10:34 pm ET

Larry, i was wondering where do you see the show will be in 20-30 years from now? do u hope the show will continu on for generatin to come?

greg mace   June 2nd, 2009 10:47 pm ET

I enjoy the types of topics that you report on and the way that you bring the facts forward. I only have one concern about having the dectator down and that concern is who and how much more terrible is the one that would step up and take his place?

Bob Koelndorfer   June 2nd, 2009 10:55 pm ET

Now that the federal goverment owns over 50% of GM, will the President push GM engineers to produce after marked devises to cause my truck to get better than 14 miles a gallon? Now that we have some of the best minds in automoblie world, should we, Americans, demand better results in the vehicles we already own?Or do the oil companys really own this country (world)?
Now that gas is back to $3.00 per gallon in my area and unemployment is at an all time high, how can i get a bail out as well? Bob from Michigan

Laura from KC   June 2nd, 2009 11:22 pm ET

Larry King,
Thanks so much for putting Jason, Bobby, Laren, and Pete on your show and talking about Invisible Children. This is definately a cause that the world needs to know about. I am deeply passionate about it. I am 18 and am going to the event in DC. Just watching in on the television for all the world to see just makes me happy, and warms my heart that people are starting to know what's going on in Africa.

Thanks again.

Catherine Trotter   June 2nd, 2009 11:52 pm ET

Now, just read the whole comment before you do anything rash (like delete this comment).

Larry King, no offense, but I've hated you ever since I could remember. I thought you were just an old fart- today I want to make you a formal apology for thinking that. You hosting the founders of Invisible Children made me realize what a genius you are, and I also want to thank you. IC has made such an impact on my life that I'm only 18 and I have applied to be a roadie to help spread the word. No community should have to live in fear of being raped, kidnapped, and murdered- and the only way this situation will stop is if people let other people know. So thank you for letting the world know, and thank you for not sitting back and being one of those people who just let things happens because another will take care of it. You really are a wonderful person!

Molly K   June 3rd, 2009 12:18 am ET

So many have poured their hearts and their efforts into spreading the word about Invisible Children and how WE, the general public, can step in and help- but having us on your show and sharing the story to such a vast public is huge, and we are very grateful. THANK YOU for being a part of the change we are trying to enact by enabling child soldiers to return to their families and PEACE to finally return to Northern Uganda.

Howard Borges   June 3rd, 2009 12:19 am ET

Something must be done NOW before it gets worst, so Please... for the sake of "The Children", let´s put an end to this NOW!

Send Special Forces, SEAL, Green Berets, Air Borne Rangers, FBI, it doesn´t matter... but if an End doesn´t come soon... Such tragic occurrences will happen again in the future... and you´d think that we as Humans have learned from our past experiences....

Pauline   June 3rd, 2009 12:53 am ET

We need to keep our help in American! We are falling apart. when we heal ourselves then we can go elsewhere! Watch the news. We have starving people and kids! enough. We can't cure the world!

tom   June 3rd, 2009 1:01 am ET

What is wrong with all you people? There is enough bad stuff going on in this USA country and nobody is doing a darn thing about it. All those young girls in that god forsaken poligamy mess that was in the news a little while back is sickening. And as far as I know the authorities had to return these brainwashed children bach to these same child molesters. And without proper investigation this garbage will continue in this country. NOW FIX USA FIRST IDIOTS. There are innocent children in this civilized country to.

Peter   June 3rd, 2009 1:13 am ET

Victims of these horrible crimes deserve all perpetrators to be brought to justice. Why do not we talk more about the International Criminal Court in the Hague which started criminal investigations against LRA leaders and others involved in the most serious international crimes committed in Uganda, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (2004), in Central African Republic and in the Sudan (2005)? Long-lasting antagonistic official position of the United States towards the Court is (unfortunately) well-known...

Marygrace   June 3rd, 2009 11:20 am ET

In my country, there is this rebel group NPA(new peoples army) wherein they say they are fighting for their rights and all yet they are "recruiting/brainwashing" kids to join them. There were videos shown in the media where they are trained to combat, hold guns & all. It is so heartbreaking to see these kids in training when they should be at school.

Marie   June 3rd, 2009 1:12 pm ET

The abuse of children is worldwide, more horrendous in some areas than others, but it is everywhere! Which organization to donate to, can lead to a hotbed of controversy when one considers administration costs, and how the donations are dispersed. I would be interested in knowing more about how donations to IC are expeditied.

sarah   June 3rd, 2009 5:04 pm ET

I believe that there is alot of horrible tragadies happening all around the world and I do not agree that we should just focus on the US. I believe if we can help others throughtout the wourld that it will help to bring peace to the world in general. We will also gain alliances to help us in the future. What I am getting at is that we need to go and help Uganda because what those poor children are going throught and being put throught is outlandish. I have reacently traveled to haiti with my college on a mission trip to help the hands and feet childrens village there. I could not believe what I saw while I was there. Anyways I did not get to see your show the night the invisible children were on but I did see the movie about there trip over to uganda and I cried my eyes out. I told myself at that moment that I wanted to start saving these inicent children that are being so cruelly treated around the world. I beleive if the Us would open up there eyes for one second and see what we have and see what others around us had that we would see why these children need our help more then anything. All of you out there that believe that we should worry about our country, think about this what if these children were your children being stolen from you and being raped, killed, or forced into being a soldier. Would you just sit by and let that happen or would you fight to get them back. That what I though! Put yourself in someone else's shoes for a day and see if you do not change your perspective on the way you see yourself and your life. I know I have/

Jenny   June 3rd, 2009 6:55 pm ET

Thank you so much for having the Invisible Children on your show!!! The more people that are made aware of the situtation the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grace   June 3rd, 2009 6:56 pm ET

I am 14 yrs and I have know invisible children since 2007 and I think it rox tht they will be having ppl coming on the show tonight i will def. be watiching!

Jamad   June 4th, 2009 10:13 am ET

They say it takes years to build, and minutes to destroy but the Power of Innocence always comes at the top, and does the unthinkable!

In regards to Invisible Children! how long were these children tortured, shown inhumane acts, bloodshed, cruelty to rip their innocence off! It took years to make Jacob, Tony and the others to make them "stones"; to rip off their emotions, feelings, and beauty. Yet it took a couple of hours to unwind that cruelty, break through the hard cover, and let them shed tears; i call those tears, tears of 15years. I have always talked about the motives this documentary reveals, if all our hearts are put towards helping others, the "impossible" can be achieved!!!!!

I live, walk, talk, breath, sleep, eat these sadness of Africa, and I am glad i do, for it makes me humble! I am honored and will never stop working for the unfortunate and fortunate!

Imagine, if every youth in the West donated a dollar of their drinking money......................how much do you reckon would be made in a nation? rediculous amounts of money!!!! I am positive about that! That money could be used to achieve the most fundamental needs Africa lacks!

I hope to see a world working together.......and i mean working together, and not having agendas at the side that distracts, and is less important than education; it is the phenomenon that builds the pathways to, civil-war, religion war, terrorism, disease out-breaks, poverty, crime, spread of AIDS, etc!

Scott Bolitho   June 5th, 2009 12:24 am ET

Thankfully there are people like Jason, Bobby and Laren who are committed to showing all of us the atrocities of the LRA in Northern Uganda. From the three filmmakers to the staff and the Roadies, Invisible Children is an incredible organization. For those of you who think we can't save the world, I would challenge you to start by saving one child, and then the next, and pretty soon you have made an incredible difference. Yes, there are issues here in the U.S. But help is needed everywhere, so find your place and jump in!

Traci   June 6th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Unless you go to visit Uganda, there is no real way to share the pain and brutality that are in the eyes of the children of Northern Uganda. It is not just the poverty of Africa. I think that the guys from Invisible Children should connect with churches (mission minded churches). We of faith are ready to Go to the Nations....

Ed   June 7th, 2009 12:57 am ET

Thank you for the interview with Jason, Bobby and Laren. I watched the films on their website and was unbelievably shocked that this is going on in plain sight and the world seems more interested in their own well being during these tough economic times than they should be for these children. We need to arise and demand that the UN go in an arrest this Joseph Kony and stop the incredibly horrendous killing and kidnapping of the children of Northern Uguanda. The nations of the world cannot allow this kind of activity to continue.

Thank you guys for making the documentary and for the website videos that bring these atrocities to light. At 75 years of age, I wish I could help a little more than I have, but I have been able to order some of the bracelets.

Jerome Baker   June 10th, 2009 4:57 pm ET

Larry is it wrong to acknowledge this James Von Brunn website, this is a 2edge sword. It can inspire more to join this kind of wrong idea which can make him a hero. Is this what we want? The best way to deal with this is to mention to what happen and not his website or how to look him up. If he lives his kind gets stronger if he dies he becomes their history. Yes he is crazy and that is what we should say about him.

Saber   June 15th, 2009 8:34 am ET

Larry, This is really showing the American steady standing for a better world. And a hard kick on those who says America makes war in the sake of Oil. I being inspired about what Obama said and his speechs to the Muslim world, and franckly I am living in one of the hotest are in the world torn with war and irrational ruling. I hope a wise change happen soon. Other wise kids will be raised in a fire childhood and for sure thier future will be guns and warring again. Thanks for the guys for you and for everyone have action for kids, of the 60th world. Thanks you larry.

P.Minard   July 7th, 2009 8:55 pm ET

Regarding the statement made by Gov. Peter King against Mr. Michael Jackson.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Note that there is a time to embrace and a time to refrain.
In the United States, a man is innocent until proved guilty. Acquited by definition is blameless, guiltless, free from sin, clean-handed. "But if ye had known what thy meaneth, ..., ye would not have condemned the guiltless."
May Gov. P. King think before casting another stone.

pm

Margaret Riddick   July 24th, 2009 1:13 pm ET

Today CNN has had a lot of suuport show to the police officer involved in the gates case a lot of support. In the police news conference I noticed that they were all black and that shows there are no blacks in the highest position. I would like to cnn listers that some of them did not quote the president corret. Why wasn't Gates side given an equal chance. I would like for this email to get in the hands of Roland Martin and Don Lemon. To me they face the facts and thats what the public want to hear. Please note that the support in that police news conference were no blacks.

By the way I watch cnn all the time and refer others to watch this.
channel

Margaret

Francisco Chavira   January 18th, 2010 9:38 pm ET

I want to say a lot, but I can only I feel so sorry for all the people in Haiti.
God be with them.

Cat   January 21st, 2010 3:50 pm ET

Fransisco, you're kidding...right? These kids are in UGANDA, not Haiti. Sure, that situation is equally as terrrible, but come on, dude. Don't make a fool of yourself by thinking they're the same thing!!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter