CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 29, 2009

Gay local Air Force officer plans to fight discharge from service

Posted: 01:48 AM ET

By Margo Rutledge Kissell
Staff Writer/Dayton Daily News

Air Force Lt. Col. Victor Fehrenbach, a decorated military weapons systems officer who grew up in the Dayton area, is being recommended for discharge after 18 years of service for homosexual conduct, an Air Force spokesperson said.

The move has made Fehrenbach, who was born at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and graduated from Wayne High School in Huber Heights, a face on the controversial Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy for gay military personnel because of his high rank and distinguished career.

“Victor is a great human face that shows the problem that is ‘Don’t ask, Don’t Tell.’ This is happening every day,” said Kevin Nix, spokesman for the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, a national non-profit organization that is providing Fehrenbach with free legal counsel.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live

Dave of Detroit   May 29th, 2009 12:22 pm ET

The only reference to gay activity was a civilian friend that reported to the military that he was gay-sounds like a relationship problem to me!
Here's a real good suggestion-Drop the "Don't ask, don't tell" current ruling that literally means that if you are discovered, you can be discharged with a lot of questions asked and adopt a more concise, "Nobody cares as long as you do your job and don't use your position to solicite sexual favors!" I would have no problem with this and it would make the status of any gay members of the service easier to deal with. I truly believe that sexual orientation has no basis for censure in the service of their Country unless this orientation has more risks of morale problems and respect for the uniform. The Military has a strong Paternal approach to their training and I doubt that any studies on the effect of homosexual men on that system has been done!

nardofree chesapeake va   May 29th, 2009 4:19 pm ET

what is openly gay? men are men and women are women. why does anyone that is gay, feel the need to tell me they are? who you spend your time with is your business. why do they feel the need to where a sign on their backs to let the world know, what they desire sexually. it's almost like fishing to see if anyone bites. yes i said sexually, i don't parade myself around to let one know what my desires are sexually. when people meet me, i introduce myself, by telling them my name, and when they see me, they see a man. why is it that, someone that is gay feels they need to introduce themselves along with mentioning that they are homosexual? right there i know that you want to be handled in a special way. i'm not gay, so you don't have to tell me that you are. i won't treat you badly because you are, but i won't treat you special because you are either.

SLM   May 29th, 2009 4:22 pm ET

Why do Gay people feel the need to discuss their sexuality. don't ask, don't tell.............keep your personal life to yourself while on the job. What is so difficult about that? I don't run around claiming my Heterosexuality, why should people run around claiming their Homosexuality.

nardofree chesapeake va   May 29th, 2009 4:31 pm ET

when i see people, i see men and women,but if you are a man in the military, don't try to show up for duty dressed and trying to look like a woman, and the same should apply for women. here's where the confusion comes into play , when we do things like this. there's no in between the two.

Tom Bulger   May 29th, 2009 6:34 pm ET

If Bin Ladin is in any danger, it is laughing himself to death. Rather than stand by our troops we attack them. We agree that these wars can not be won militarily and then we oust interpreters capable of communicating and facilitating a peace.

Martin Luther King said, "The right time to do the right thing is always now."

Let's stop telling people how to run their country until we stop discriminating among ourselves.

G.   May 30th, 2009 12:10 am ET

What did he do? I read this over a few times and it never told me????

G.   May 30th, 2009 12:12 am ET

I got that he was highly decorated and had 18 years of service, so something suddenly changed. What?

Jason from Louisiana   May 30th, 2009 3:40 am ET

Wow, I must say that I am truly shocked by some of the misinformed comments I've just read. As a proud and out gay man, let me assure you that the problem is not the discussion of our private lives at work but that who we love is not a reflection of our abilities. Why should I be dismissed for having a picture of my boyfriend in my wallet, or accidentally letting it slip that I'm having a civil partnership? Heterosexuals already have those privileges in a world where 'straight until proven otherwise' is the policy. Would you fire an employee with 18 years of outstanding service because one of his rivals saw him kissing another man while in civilian clothes and off-duty/off-base? Give me a break!

Demond   May 30th, 2009 1:44 pm ET

As an Army Vet who had access to 201 files I can tell you that it only takes a soldier to report to any officer that they suspect another solider is a homosexual. That soldier is then reported to his command and brought in for questioning. Most soldiers then tell the truth no matter if they are or are not. Why confess some would ask? well because being untruthful is punishable under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) which can be anything from forfiture of pay to confinement to base. Dont ask dont tell does not work. Once there is a suspicion then commanders are allowed to asked.

nardofree chesapeake va   June 1st, 2009 4:30 pm ET

i do beieve the animals have a better grip on things than we human intelligent ones.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter