CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 29, 2009

Friday on Larry King Live

Posted: 07:01 PM ET

thumb.1227120059.06267.DenisLearybyClayPatrickMcBride_stripejacketTonight, Denis Leary & Steve Harvey, two funny guys get serious ... about the Priest who wants to marry, Jon & Kate plus eight, and Britain's singing sensation Susan Boyle.  Is Susan losing it?

Plus, Denis Leary sounds off on why we should feel good about being fat, loud, lazy & stupid.

art.oprah.steve.harvey.oThen, comedian turned relationship expert Steve Harvey has the scoop on what women need to know about men.

Friday on Larry King Live

Filed under: Larry King Live

Anne Brooks Brauer   May 29th, 2009 7:33 pm ET

The United States of America, for the past 2 decades, has focused on War in Washingto, way before Iran (desert storm and Iraq) The Bush's had only one intention and that was to make WAR-(to keep a false econy afloat) This is a fact, people working in the Gov. 20 years ago, were warned about vacation time (it was a time when we could be at war–preached over and over again to Federal workers- your Job depends on you understanding this!!! True! The War theme has been carried on continuesly from Pentagon with Military schools for training- "Harding of high school students etc, for War–A Sparta civilization–Even today with the opening of the new Marine Museum at Quantico–you should go and hear for YOURSELF, the film presentation-screemed out of the sound boxes in deafening tones or hate and rank_ True- It is a beautiful musuem to remeber the dead -and apparently to remind anyone who joins he or she will give their life for the GROUP– American Christian children taken to Sunday school, loved by parents, have no idea of what the Arm services does to their boys! That is the cause of the sucidies now. A person raised in a decent home, cannot understand or manage War and Hate from the bottom ranks up for 24-07 –It is hard to train a man back into an animal, that barks at every order and orders torture for his fellow men- like the waterboard, the electric shocks–this is MAD SCIENCE- not a Military Group defending his family and homeland- it is just plain in human and Bush and his father and Cheney should be tried for WAR CRIMES–there is no other way to release tensions and fear they have created in our Country. No dictator has been any worst than the past 20 years of WAR PRETENSE created by the REpublicans–Let them weep, like the Mothers, and wives have and as our Veterans now weep daily unable to work in the busness world or give and take. Thank you.! I have lived through WW!! (started when I was 11 yrs old) Korea ,Vietnam and Iran Desert STorm (which was a sell out of information) from the Pentagon– and Iraq– My 2 brother, one a submariner, one on LCI (invastion of Philipines–both gone, earlier than they should have and never returned home in peace, both died alcholics–worked but still alcholics drowning out the WAR. May God have Mercy on the United States of America- we need his Mercy and to turn around and stop BARKING like MAD Dogs at our children or anyone –Go to the Museum and listen. Anne Brooks Brauer 200 Clarke Ct. Fredericksburg, VA. (yes, I voted for President Obama and was told at Catholic Church, I would have to go to Confession before I could take Communion- so goodbye Catholic church (I really loved the form and ritual, coming from the Episcopalian church- which lets a Gay Bishop live in open with his young male mate and tells the mate I understand that he, the Bishop is going to make him a Priest one day!!–And everyone is to look the other way and say –see no, hear no evil , speak no evil–just like the 3 monkeys in statue that sat on my Mother's desk.

Anne Brooks Brauer   May 29th, 2009 7:39 pm ET

I know I have some typo's in my letter –forgive I type very fast–I am a writer now, and have worked professionally as one for over 18 years=before that I owned my own Real Estate Corp and did very well- educating 3 children -through college and the weddings. Of course my husband took care of the home and groceries- We worked to gether for these children to have a better life. But the present day Military will not give young people a better life as it is now.
Anne B.

Alma Perkins   May 29th, 2009 8:02 pm ET

Larry we love and need Steve Harvey in LA
IS HE COMMING BACK

shirley kessler   May 29th, 2009 8:10 pm ET

I just read your book and I loved it. There were parts where i couldn’t stop laughing.

Page 38 remeinder me of my mother. may she rest in piece.
I just couldn’t stop laughing. The rest of the book was very good.

I am happy that you have a good relationship with all your children.

Do you think you will write another book? Hope so.

Sincerely

Shirley Kessler

SueB   May 29th, 2009 9:09 pm ET

Didn't think it was possible to love Denis Leary more. Rescue Me, most awesome show on tellie and all that. And then as it turns out, he is just unashamedly in love with Obama, like me. So now, I love Denis Leary more.

Chris O   May 29th, 2009 9:09 pm ET

Welll its easy to make fun of Joe Biden, But while everyone was having a laugh at his expense after he said someone will test obama in the first 6 months, who is laughing now, we have a major issue in pakistan and the last 2 days N.Korea is making it's own threats.

Susan Abbott   May 29th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

Ask Denis about the Portugese neighborhood that had a Chinese restaurant named Ding Ho that featured young Irish American comedians like Denis Leary.

Dan   May 29th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

By attempting to make Sonia Sotomayor a caricature, Republicans guarantee they will lose elections poorly the next few years. They are alienating Hispanic-Americans and apparently not abreast of the changing face of the U.S. population

Ron   May 29th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

Denis, Rescue Me is the best show on TV.

Marcia   May 29th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

Denis, this has been the best season ever of Rescue Me – love it! Thanks for the great shows!

Jane - WI   May 29th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

Ms. Sotomayor has an good "life story". HOwever, so did Clarence Thomas, Miguel Estrada, and Alberto Gonzalez, yet I don't recall the mainstream media gushing over them the way they are this liberal minority nominee. I don't recall Democrats being warned in the media (or by the white House) to not attack the conservative minority nominees. these 3 men were savaged by Democrats, yet I don't recall it driving away Hispanic or black voters from the Democrat Party. So why is it that Republicans are supposed to tread softly simply because Ms. Sotomayor is an AMerican of Hispanic origin?

maurice watts   May 29th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

If Lou Dobbs was in charge of the country he wouldn't have been able to come into the country!

Frank Lafferty   May 29th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

Denis- Sorry to gush, but I just had to say you are brilliant. Rescue Me is the best show on TV , and you deserve all the accolades you receive for your work on the show, your standup, your charity work, and your book, which I've read twice. All this, and you're dead-on about President Obama. I'm also a huge hockey fan so there's pretty much nothing you do or are involved in that I don't enjoy or support. How do you do it so consistently? Aren't you exhausted?

Elizabeth Rickey   May 29th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

You are all three funny as all get out and unique in your individual comedy!

John Makholm   May 29th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

Denis: I just took most of my kids to see you and the Rescue Me tour in Clearwater, Florida...You KILLED!!! and your show was great, especially the band!

How about doing us all a favor and bringing back THE JOB, which was just great and just on the wrong network...1/2 year of RESCUE ME and 1/2 year of THE JOB...heaven for Leary fans!

maureen cox   May 29th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

I luv Leary, he's so cute and Irish.

dawn bryce   May 29th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

l love denis, he is the best comedian , when l have a bad day l put on one of his stand up comedy dvds and it always helps...canada loves denis leary

zimzim   May 29th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Denis Leary is hilarious,

Dennis Card   May 29th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

You and Dennis are both funny and as far as asking who is the funniest can work when you have a bad comic against a funny comic but not when the comics that are being judged are both funny

DSP   May 29th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

Denis,

you are right. Lou Dubious should understand that America is the new-world for all who are here, the only people who can shout about closing the borders from good immigrants who obey the laws and productive in the American economy should be Native Americans. Others came over this new-world just like the good immigrants that are here. Some came by force, African who cmae as slaves and poor, protestant European who came to work in the farms; and some came to invest such as Pilgrims and colonizers. But together all fought the revolutionary and civil wars to defend the common purpose of individual liberty, democracy and quality of life to all. That is what America is all about. I'm immigrant from Africa

zimzim   May 29th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Priest getting married and soldiers committing suicide have the same problem, they have a desperate need of sexual healing.

Patty   May 29th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Dennis, You were always a comedian in your high school days – and actoe too – don't think that nun you named existed, but it sounded Irish anyway! We always knew you'd be successful! Great St. Peter's memories – hey you weren't too shabby on the ice either! You are definitely funnier than Joy! Go get 'em & continued success. GO SOX!

Ralph Randall   May 29th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

To Dennis Leary,
I miss "The Job", I thought it was a great show!
I love your acting!
A fan........Ralph

Deborah Martin   May 29th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Denis Leary has been one of my favorite comedians since I first heard a comedy tape of his years ago where he talked about smoking and eating meat. I laughed till I cried. My husband and are a big fans of his show "Rescue Me". I also gave my husband your book "Why We Suck" for Christmas and I read it first! What a hoot. It is smart, funny and very insightful.

michael   May 29th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

I would just like to say that i have been a fan of Dennis since the early 90's when i saw no cure for cancer. As a current enlisted member of our armed forces the strait forward say what you feel aspect that he made famous has helped me develop my leadership style and lead my troops. As Commander in Chief, my boss, he possesses the vision, and faith in our way of life that allowed us to become victorious in WW II. It is refreshing to see a true leader. It is time for the youth of this nation to become adults and restore the faith of the America people in it's government.

kelly robinson   May 29th, 2009 9:30 pm ET

I love when Joy fills in for Larry, she should get her own show !! I love CNN

Karen M Cushing   May 29th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Joyce needs to reconcile her personal issues with the Catholic church and stop publicly bashing the church. Many people take their faith seriously and spend an enormous amount of time developing their relationship with God. She never passes up an opportunity to insult people of the Catholic faith and show an utter lack of respect for their position.

Irene   May 29th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Have to agree with Ralph – The Job was the smartest, funniest show that was ever on tv. Rescue Me is great too! Love your talent, keep up all the good work! PS – My mom is from Kerry and my dad is from Monaghan so I TOTALLY got your book. Tough love before it was an actually approach to child rearing.

Pam   May 29th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Re. Mondays show
Ask Lisa Ling if she regrets lying to the North Korean officials
a couple of years ago so she could get an undercover story??
Does she think this had any impact on her sisters arrest?
Pam, South Bend

Karen   May 29th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

OMG BY FAR DENIS LEARY is the funniest.
Wish Larry was interviewing, do not care for Joy...

Ursula   May 29th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Great to see ya in prime time, Joy! Denis, we are sooo glad the new season of 'Rescue Me' is on the way...and Steve, that playbook's no joke! Wonderful episode.

Janice Bennett   May 29th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

who do you have to have all that crap at the bottom of the screen, it is very distracting

Zack Pennington   May 29th, 2009 9:49 pm ET

I'm pretty sure that saying you avoid or ignore someone who says they are an atheist and actively choose not to know what the word means, and then choose to criticize those people .

Mark   May 29th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

Steve Harvey – I was listening UNTIL Steve said that if you're an athiest he walks away. EXCUSE ME STEVE – What are you doing on the Larry King show. Larry is a self avowed athiest. I guess he's there for the free publicity.

Jeff Pinkster   May 29th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Well thank you Steve Harvey, you just made me look like an absoulute star in the eyes of my wife , Mother, sister and all of my female friends due to your timely and politically correct views on females and the relationship between cheating and infidelity in this modern world .......You go bro....love to see your career tommorow...
Peace

Vancouver B.C.

Jen   May 29th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

OMG Joy is funniest. So we hire the SUPREME COURT JUSTICES based on race and sex. How far we have come. As Obama has said, he wants to get her up there and get some justice done. I voted for you Joy – go easy on my grammar..!

karen   May 29th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

why do men lie, even after given a chance to come clean? don't they realize a hurt woman is better than a hurt and MAD woman?

gloria   May 29th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

give Steve a break, he is very funny and has some excellent advice, i love the 90 day policy

Iris   May 29th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

It's a free country Mark and Steve just like you and everyone else is entitled to his or her opinion no matter if it is popular or not.

Ras   May 29th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

Steve,
Which flavor of god do you believe in?
It seems there are so many to choose from. If god exists, which god is the real one?

VJ   May 29th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

Steve how many times have you been engaged and how many times have you been married?

Michelle   May 29th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

@JoyVBehar Love you on Larry!

Ask Steve if his book applies to women dating with hot flashes, especially when sex seems to cure hot flashes.

J, NY   May 29th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

Steve, Joy

I love you both.
I'm a 42 year old virgin and can't get a boyfriend because I won't have sex. So how do I get one who will wait.

Euegne   May 29th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

Hmm, "If you're an atheist, you're an idiot" is a very intellectual thing to say...

Does Steve Harvey have any idea that Larry King happens to be an atheist?

DeeAnna   May 29th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

What a refreshing and vital message this man has for women !!
Thank you for having him on your show ! I hope they are really listening and take his message seriously.

Sherilyn   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Steve how do you know when a man is lying? I am reading your book and love it.

Marisa   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Joy, I'm having soo much fun with you and Steve. You're always great Joy. Steve your book is great.

Lisa   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

I like what Steve said about believing in God. I agree that without any faith in a higher being there can be no gauge of morality. I'm glad he said it and I'm glad everybody had to hear it. In a relationship, the first requirement is faith in common. An atheist cannot be with a believer and vise versa. Without that basic foundation, the rest is a waste.

Famous   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Steve,
You are not serious!
my father has 5 wifes, and many children, and he is black.

He is in Africa though.

Terry   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

For Steve Harvey: Any words of wisdom for the friends of a beautiful young lady whose self-esteem is so low (for reasons not relevant) that she continues to pick out losers to live with (never willing to marry her)?

svend bojsen, Denmark   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

I like them all but

Joy Behar is funny and lovely, a

GREAT substitute for you ! – and Woopy...
She has a sweet personality

Jesse   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Steve Harvey, my fiance has not given me the benefit package yet. Is that a good thing or bad thing if I am engaged and have not received it yet?

Ana   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Watching Steve Harvey right now. I would like to ask him what to do with your husband when he falls asleep on the couch , instead of coming to bed when he starts feeling tired.

Carol   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Question for the program tonight: Harvey

How can a woman over 50 meet a decent guy?

Tiffany   May 29th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Steve,
I have a question, my boyfriend and I live together and still keeps his phone on vibrate. What does this mean?

Fernanda Rodriguez   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Steve,
It's so refreshing to hear about women's self-esteem, or lack thereof, from a man! Thank you. Please talk to teenage girls who could benefit from your point of view before they start having problems and demeaning themselves.
Thanks again!

Monica Woodford   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Mr. Harvey, Love your views, you are hilarious! Monica

Chantee   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Mr. Harvey,

I love you, your show and book as well. My question is my fiance and I are planning our wedding. How much do you think we should spend on a wedding for an averge income couple.

susan   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Hi Steve:

What a great book you have written. I saw you on Oprah and my 17 year old teenager had heard about you. We had to search around the Toronto Canada area to get it, but it was worth the wait.

My daughter Emily has read it and now has passed it on to her friends.

She sums it up, "most guys are pretty dumb and you need to put them in their place."

Keep up the good work,

Thanks to your book, my daughter now knows not to let me take her for granted.

Susan
Toronto Ontario Canada

sharon   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Been married for 10 yrs/ Husband has 3 grown daughters/ he talks to them every night, sometimes couple times a day/ This makes me crazy/ Im a good person, but I feel he pays to much attention to his grown daughters, of course they dont have a husband for themselves

Dave   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Steve - you are too funny...

Nancy   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Response to Steve Harvey's comment...Where do atheists get their morals? It's called humanity!

valerie   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

My ex lives in New Orleans and I live in NY, he refuses to have a long distance relationship. He says he is incapable of it, i dont know if i trust that. He tells me im his girl, and that he loves me but i dont see how he would not want to be in a relatiionship with me.. what do you think??

Jan   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Steve, What is the best way to ask someone for a Std, or HIV test before being romantic with them?

ashley   May 29th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

hey steve i am a twenty year old female currently in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend of a year and a half. for the past two months he has been acting funny and i feel like something may be up, while everyone is telling me it is just the distance things will be back to normal after we see one another again. do you think he is up to something or is it really just the distance? also do you think it is healthy to be in a long distance relationship at our age 20 and 23?

Peter   May 29th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

I have read parts of the book. And I think Steve knows less about men than he does about woman. He is giving his own opinion , not anything based on research. Its more of a comedy routine than anything else

Dria   May 29th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Steve Harvey, I think it was very ignorant of you to say that you don't associate yourself with atheists. Would it be fair for someone to discriminate against you due to your relgious beliefs, sex, skin color etc. How can you consider yourself to be a devout Christian, yet you isolate yourself from people based on their opposing views. That is a sign of intolerance and ignorance.

Christian from Nigeria   May 29th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Hi Steve, how do you get your wife to do the nice things she used to do before to both got married without nagging at her?
From Christian in Nigeria

Anna Krengel   May 29th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

I thought Steve Harvey had some good points until he said that "anyone who does not believe in g-d" has no moral sense. He is SOOOOO wrong. I say that anyone that believes in G-d is an idiot! Your sense of mrality is inherited. It's called Synderesis! It had notjhing to do with G-d! as evidenced again and again in History. G-d is an excuse leaders use to get their followers to do their bidding! . . . usually war!

Sandra F   May 29th, 2009 10:01 pm ET

Steve is so right about men that he makes me cry of laughing!!!
Today this show was hilarious!!!
Joy, Denis and Steve, you guys rock!!!

lisa   May 29th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Hello

My husband and i are having bed room problems. We are only having sex every 4 to 5 months and im going crazy. He shows now affection and no love he thinks because he pays the bills and gives me money that should be enough to make me happy. how can i get this man to show me some love i have tried the sexy nighties. and he is just not interested and im starting to think that maybe he is gay. please help me!!!

Rachel Thomas   May 29th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Steve,

For someone who is so smart, I can't believe that you made such a close minded and stupid remark (i.e. if you don't believe in God, you have no morals and are an idiot!). What about the people who didn't grow up in a religious environment? I guess they don't know right from wrong and are all idiots. Where is your logic? I was brought up Catholic and only recently started to truly believe in God. Hope you will reflect on your remarks. Perhaps have a good chat with God and see if he would be calling people idiots because they didn't share his philosophy.

Sincerely,
Rachel

Regina LaVallee   May 29th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

Joy, I think you are a pleasure to watch and a great talent but a word of advise. Proper english is Larry and I, not Larry and me.

Lisa   May 29th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

Atheists rarely investigate what any religion REALLY means before they go and critisize it too. Anyway, it's about time that someone stood up and had an opinion about the need for faith. So what that Larry is an Atheist? Does that mean he can have only Atheists on his show? Go Steve! Your statement shows your true integrity!

Joyce Goldberg   May 29th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

Dear Steve, Bought your book. My gentleman friend is 85, I am 18 years younger, 68. We lived together peacefully, until his rage-aholic,
broke, homosexual son, 54, arrived. His son curses at me and the father is afraid of the son. Would you be my guest for breakfast, lunch or dinner in Boca Raton, Florida? Can we talk? Any advice? Warmly,
Joyce in Florida.

Dave   May 29th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Steve is funny, but he should be careful calling Free Thinkers, idiots. He may end up with his picture next to the term in Wikipedia. A basic education in Science and Critical Thinking will help him and other "Believers" realize that the burden of prove is on the those that make supernatural claims to answer the question of our existence, not those of us that require evidence to support our beliefs.

Otherwise, I applaud Steve's efforts to improve human relationships.

:prpn Winn   May 29th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Steve Harvey – you should stick to comedy. You just showed yourself up when you stated people who do not believe in ?God are idiots. Now Steve, NO ONE – no ONE said we descended from apes or monkeys. Your knowledge of the beginnings of life is sorely lacking. Now the fact you want to believe in a fable is your business, but I would never call a child an idiot for believing in Santa, nor would I call a Christian an idiot – especially on TV.

Melinda   May 29th, 2009 10:06 pm ET

I think Steve Harvey's advice on the 3 month rule is good advice but doesn't seem very realistic.

Jeff   May 29th, 2009 10:06 pm ET

Views on God do not necessarily have to end with atheism or religion. There is a spiritual perspective where we can believe in a creator and right from wrong without having to have blind faith in one particular story or religion. How can anyone assume to know Gods name and address, so to speak. It may not be perfect, but neither is religion.

Linda / Arizona   May 29th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

for steve harvey
i have had a relationship with a man for 10 years. we met at a professional conference and started emailing each other. met each other again physically after 7 years and began a very limited physical relationship. he is married and is not happy. will he ever 'step up'??

Karen in Canada   May 29th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

I am with Denis Leary 100% about Barack Obama. The guy is wonderful!! I am Canadian and just wish I could vote for him. I watched CNN during the primaries and on election night. You guys do a great job. Love you Larry!

heather mann   May 29th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

Hey, please let Mr. Steve Harvey that even Wal-Mart has a 90 probationary period. I think that it would make his point even more valid and also add even more humor to this point. Love ya both, Joy and Steve. Great show!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee   May 29th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

Mr. Harvey,

I have a question about the Profess Section of your book. What if the man does not introduce you as his woman. You are still introduced as the friend. However, he lets all of his friends know you are off limits and they and his family are to give you great respect and honor. Is that still professing?

Lisa   May 29th, 2009 10:10 pm ET

Atheists discriminate against believers all the time. No one has to associate with anyone they don't want to and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Steve is just more successful than us bloggers and had a chance to speak his mind on TV. I'd like to think that given the same chace I would speak truthfully from my heart and not censor myself based on whether or not I am going to offend people, especially if those people are those I believe to be idiots anyway.

cdchicago   May 29th, 2009 10:10 pm ET

Joan:
Steve Harvey sounds like a great disappointment. He sounds highly sexist, racist, prejudiced and in some answers lost.
To be sure, I am a fan of his and have been for years. He can be amazingly clever and funny when he puts his mind and talent to it. I loved both of his TV shows. But perhaps he should stop at writing books.
I was apalled about his comment about not talking to people who do not "believe in God". I am such a person. I would relish such a conversations and welcome his opinions and insights. But he is too arrogant to even allow an opinion conversation? Sad. This didn't work when whites refused to talk to Blacks because it was a waste of time. If he is going to converse with a clever woman like you, Joan Behar, he should being his A game not his BS game.

Remain a treasure, Joan. We will find you every time.

Chris

ToddT   May 29th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

Can't say I appreciated Steve Harvey's comment about atheism. I'm afraid the "Swiss cheese" conundrum is not at all exclusive to evolution, and there are as many, or indeed more, questions regarding creation. Steve Harvey can't seem to see how we might have descended from APES, not monkeys, as he mistakenly stated, yet can believe that there existed a magical garden where a snake actually spoke. If I'm an idiot, Steve Harvey, for believing in evolution, something of which actually makes sense, you are highly ignorant for thinking that our beliefs determine our morals. Just because someone is atheist does not mean they have no moral “barometer.” How can you say something like that? Men can certainly treat women very well and still not believe in a god. I surely hope you read this and rethink some of the positions you hold.

Sandi   May 29th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

I do have a question. I'm going to be honest and say I'm in love with a married man. I found out after doing some detective work and after falling for him and after we've been together for awhile that he married that b...Long story short I realized that besides him saying its over (she lives in another country) in fact he might still be with her eventhough she doesn't live here. I'm keeping a close look at his AND HER movements through sites. When we almost (the ex? and I) got into it, he claims she's jus jelous and he has to stay nice for the kids (who r really young). BULL! I say but I'm fighting with my heart. Plus he says he got married too young and now knows what he wants.
My question is: Should I let it go and deal with the pain or should I stick it out until I get something really concrete.

Iris   May 29th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

He did not say that if you don't believe in God that you have no morals. He said that if you do not believe in a higher power how can you have a moral guage.

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

Atheists have no moral compass? In my opinion.. true morality is about what you do when NO ONE is looking... not what you do when someone, including your invisible god thingy, is looking over your shoulder. I support everyone's right to have "faith" and believe as they choose... I just ask the same for me in MY right not to adopt a belief in the supernatural.

Mark   May 29th, 2009 10:12 pm ET

Lisa, You missed the point. Steve said that he would WALK AWAY from someone if they told him that they were an athiest. But there Steve sat, for free publicity, on a show that is named The Larry King Show – after, Larry King, who is an athiest. WHAT was Steve doing on this show, he said that he'd walk away. He makes no sense. It's fine that he believes what he says he does. But why doesn't he back that up with his actions? The answer is obvious – he wants fame, more than he cares about his ideals and his "god".

kelly h   May 29th, 2009 10:13 pm ET

i was very put off by the comments harvey made regarding religion. i know everyone has a right to free speech and religion, of course, but the ignorant ideas that came from him were completely baffling, coming from a man who wrote a book and has lived farrr more years than i. should he not be more accepting of others opinions, after so many years? has he merely dealt with the conflicting ideas by speaking OVER them?
this does NOT mean you have to agree, mind you. it just means that you close your mouth for long enough to listen, to hear, and to appreciate our freedoms to religion of choice and ability to discuss their ideals.
i am not an atheist, and in fact take no stance on religion. i more believe in the statement "the universe tends to unfold as it should." there are times where i will thank god, out of habit, or be thankful to "him" that some great thing has happened, but i direct those thoughts toward the universe. i still believe that, however life was created, it exists on your own terms rather than just by God's standards. his standards and moral codes of conduct live inside of you, even if you don't believe in him, or used to and have chosen to ignore those humane and moral feelings.
because we are products of our raise, as well as the media, i've come to find, i truly hope that some feebly-minded parent does not get it into his or her mind that harvey is completely right and MUST be some sort of highly intellectual saint just because he makes them laugh. if so, there will be many a child who is raised with such a close-minded perspective on life and values and therefore will grow up just as ignorant as the rest of this country.
stop looking and talking; start SEEing and listening.

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:14 pm ET

By the way... "if we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys" simply shows Mr Harvey's ignorance on the topic... absolutely no one says that humans came "from" monkeys... research before you make a "monkey's uncle" of yourself.

sally   May 29th, 2009 10:15 pm ET

love Joy B & Steve H ...

Angi   May 29th, 2009 10:16 pm ET

Steve and Joy,

I am divorced from a really successful guy (career). He did not cheat. But he was so raw, he asked me where was I? Hoe Hopping? Did not know what he meant but after he put his hands on me I did.

Called the police, never went back.

That day I picked up his shirts from the cleaners and stopped by Harris Teaters for bacon wrapped – bleu cheese stuffed prime rib because I was feeling amorous for my husband.

Well, within 3 weeks he put his hands on me – police were called and he was arrested – put out – and I did what I needed to do so he would plead guilty in court so my atty could serve him with the divorce/annulment papers.

We got an annulment after less than 6 mo of marriage. His last comment was : "You can't say we never happened"

]My comment back was a lie: "Well, I am pregnant and if you don't give me an annulment, then it will be your baby."

This was a year after I fled the state to go back home. (I was not pregnant). He started raising his voice, and I just repeated my stance.

He immediately signed the annulment papers and sent them to my new state to my attorney.

How can I trust again in the future especially when I got whippings from my own father until I was 21 years old? I think this has a lot to do with it. Steve please help.

Now I have a 10 year old daughter whose father has put his hands on her. I am in a northern state and he is in a southern state and he does not call or support her because he is abgry at me for not wanting to be bothered with him - he is lazy and broke as hell!

My daughter doesn't even want to go back to see him - I will take her to see her grandma this summer - I just dodn't know what to do.

PS – I am 47 years old - have never gaiven up the cookie early – 6 – 8 months tops from mid 20's. I need to know how to instruct my daughter as well as have been celibate, like Shirley, for 10+ years and want a father figure and husband for myself.

PS – I am in the Detroit area which presents a larger problem for an educated and professional sister,

Please Help!

GiGi

Iris   May 29th, 2009 10:18 pm ET

Theory of evolution Holly, do some research yourself.

Serena   May 29th, 2009 10:18 pm ET

Steve so glad you did you. You made it known about what and how men are. I had two of your books gave to my daughter and niece. We love you and know HE has brung you this far and your sharing has let me know you are Grateful.

Serena   May 29th, 2009 10:18 pm ET

Serene (Ohio)

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

Sandi, Hon.. I hate to burst your bubble.. but he's NOT staying for the kids... people divorce all the time who have children. He's staying and he's not likely to leave his wife... at least not for you. AND if he does.. what have you got? A man who will leave you for the next woman he finds more appealing. A anyone who cheats with a married person and lures them away from the marriage gets exactly what he/she deserves... a cheat.

Lisa   May 29th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

Perhaps Steve did'nt know Larry's belief system. Or, if he did, it wasn't enough for him to compromise his own integrity when talking to millions. If Steve feels he needs to appologize privately to Larry, then cool. But I hope he doesn't appologize to anyone else and especially not publicly.

Ron   May 29th, 2009 10:21 pm ET

Just for the record Steve, monkeys did not turn into humans as most bigots believe. Instead, we branched out from them. Also, morals do not come from religion, and religion does not come from morality. It is something called self respect and respect for others, clearly something you are lacking.

Branching: a line of family descent stemming from a particular ancestor, as distinguished from some other line or lines from the same stock; a division of a family.

Smiley S   May 29th, 2009 10:22 pm ET

I've watched Steve Harvey on Oprah & now LK. I think his book's concepts are brilliant, and his comedy is hilarious! I'd like to reply to Steve regarding his question about the absence of a moral center in a person who does not believe in god. As an agnostic* who's been asked this question many times by Christians, I can tell you what my answer is: I believe all of us human beings have within us what I call an innate moral compass. It operates regardless of (sometimes in spite of) our religious upbringing. Yes, we learn cultural mores and boundaries from our parents, teachers, peers, schools, religious institutions and other places. But we also know INNATELY what's "right and wrong." Even sociopaths KNOW the difference, they just choose the wrong over the right. I do what is right because my compass tells me it feels bad to do the wrong thing. It feels good and right to do the things that are right, that are kind, compassionate, honest. I don't claim to be a saint, but at core I am a decent, kind, scrupulous, compassionate, honest person. I volunteer to help rescued animals; I assist elderly neighbors and watch out for them. I give money when I can and more importantly, my time to efforts helping battered spouses and hungry children. Though I am not a Christian, I love the Golden Rule and think it applies to every person: Treat others as you'd have them treat you. I have never touched an illegal drug or committed a crime. I am an extremely loyal friend, daughter, employee, wife. If there is an afterlife, I have no idea what it is and I certainly do not believe any religious doctrine's version of it. It is the great unknown, as is who made us and who or whether anyone is in control of the universe. There may well be a god but I don't profess to know and I don't believe anyone else knows, either. (*This is what an agnostic believes, rather than an atheist, who essentially denies the existence of a god.) My point is, being a good person comes from WITHIN. We know it's wrong to hurt others. We help instead of hurt because it's the right thing to do. I don't do it for a heavenly reward, nor out of fear of godly reprisal. I do what's right because I am a decent person with a working innate moral compass. Why should that be so hard to understand? Conversely, being a believer in god in no way guarantees automatic decent character or good behavior. That's very clear. So why do so many believers think nonbelievers lack morality? I'm more decent and do more to help others than almost all of my friends and coworkers. And I am tolerant of their faith, though I disagree with it, something I am often not shown in return. It saddens me. Believers in god absolutely do not have the only claim on morality.

Sandi   May 29th, 2009 10:23 pm ET

VALERIE. Maybe its better not to have a long distance relationship because if he's telling you that he can't have a long distance relationship then he can't. He can be with you but he can't be faithful. So in the end you'll be in the relationship while he'll be somewhere else.

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:23 pm ET

Iris.. the theory of evolution suggests that apes and humans evolved from a common ancestor. NOT that we "came from monkeys".

James   May 29th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

Steve Harvey feels that anyone who doesn't agree with him about his view on the existence of god is an "idiot". And he just walks away from anyone he is speaking with if they say they don't believe. Harvey would be wise to walk away from me in that instance because he certainly wouldn't win a debate with me!

It's ridiculous to see someone who cannot justify logically or even in a thought provoking manner, a belief in god... but he thinks he is qualified to write a book on how to live your life!

I am agnostic about the existence of god. I think people who believe blindly in god and/or religion are primitive.

As far as my moral barometer...It is not to infringe on anyone else’s rights. I don't steal because that is taking away another's property. I don't kill because we all have the right to not have our lives taken from us. And I don't buy Steve Harvey's book because he is clearly too arrogant.

Mark   May 29th, 2009 10:25 pm ET

Again, To Lisa. Why would Steve owe anyone an apology? You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. It's great that Steve speaks for lots of people. He's entitled to his beliefs. Steve has a publicist who had to know about Larry's proclivity. He compromised his beliefs for publicity which is $.

Sandi   May 29th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

Holly...Ya i'm pretty smart and know all that. but then when i say that he keeps saying their not together and its over. but you know that woman's instinct. it keeps whispering to me. I have broken it off plenty of times but he somehow talks me back. I'll end it sometime cause i know i know...karma

Iris   May 29th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

Check the evolution charts where shows the monkey evolving

Iris   May 29th, 2009 10:30 pm ET

So am I wrong or not agreeing with you on the theory of evolution?

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

Smiley, I've also read arguments that support "morality" as a necessity for communities to survive and advance.. If I run around hitting everyone I see with a stick, the likelihood that I'm going to get hit with a stick myself increases and the likelihood that someone is going to come to my aid decreases. My survival ( and the survival of my genes) probably at least in part,depends on my ancestors having develped a "moral compass" and a sense of community.

Marc   May 29th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

Wow...little wonder Steve Harvey doesn't believe in evolution, since his remarks tonight could have been delivered by any guy from 1959. Nothing he said was especially hateful, just astonishly ignorant. In a few short segments with Joy, he suggested that only men are preoccupied by their careers, "gay guys" just like to talk, people who might question the existence of God are "stupid", a guy who nags should turn in his "man card", and "women's intuition" will always expose a husband's cheating. Am I missing something? Is this part of his act, like Jeff Foxworthy and his whole "redneck" schtick? Clearly, Harvey was raised with a set of beliefs that he's never bothered to question as an adult, resulting in the narrow-minded views expressed tonight. God bless Joy for biting her tongue and letting her guest speak/hang himself (her grin throughout the interview said it all). God bless Steve Harvey too, of course...even if this lame "comic" gives Him a bad name.

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

Iris.. yes I think you are wrong... that "chart" is a simple an artists portrayal of the theory.. not a scientific absolute.. the "chart" depicts an apelike creature evolving into a modern day human... if both apes and humans evolved from a SIMILAR ape like creature.. I would expect the creature to LOOK somewhat apelike... don't mistake that Picture for a complete and accurate description of the theory.

Holly   May 29th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

Iris.. I do not necessarily think you're "wrong" for not believing in evolution as much as I think you are mistaken in what you think evolution means. The above mentioned link is not meant to convince you that evolution is true, but simply what the theory says. What you determine after that is up to you.

Marc.. yes you missed his comment that "atheists" have no foundation for their morals and values.. I was completely dumbfounded by that one.

Serene   May 29th, 2009 10:47 pm ET

VJ ... the book is called. Act Like A Lady... Think Like A Man. OK...he didn't say he was giving maritial advise. He's letting women know how men think. He could've been married 20x's. Read the book and guess what
GAME RECOGNIZES GAME and SHE'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Serene (Ohio)

Mark   May 29th, 2009 11:31 pm ET

Hi Iris, I am an athiest – well, maybe an agnostic. I am married to a devout Catholic, whom I respect more than I can tell you. My point is this; I hear in what you've written TRUE BELIEF, which to me is more important than any of the hyperbole that rolls around us. I respect my wife, and you a great deal – because you truly believe in what you are saying. Not to change the subject – but – that's what got me started on this whole thing about Steve. I don't believe him. IF he truly believed, he wouldn't have been a guest on an athiests show. He would have walked away, just like he said that he would do "if he met someone who said they were an athiest. You deserve respect because you are who you say you are, and just as important – you haven't shown ANY disrespect for those of us who don't believe. Thank you. I wish that the world had more of you.

Mark   May 29th, 2009 11:37 pm ET

Dear Smiley S, I LOVE your post. I'm with you. I'm grateful that there are people like you in this world to make up for the Steve's that are all too common. Thank you!

Loron Winn   May 30th, 2009 12:05 am ET

Loron Winn apolagises – my original remark is still in there. By the way Iris. The original theory is that we did not evolve from Apes or Monkeys but from a lower form called the Java man.

Colleen Lawson   May 30th, 2009 12:12 am ET

Joy, you are great!!!!! Just love you on the View.

Michelle Connolly   May 30th, 2009 12:18 am ET

As an educated resident of Milton Massachusetts with a terrific sense of humor, Irish since the start, a mother of two boys - oh, sorry one who happens to be a dumb-ass kid who can't compete academically, I must say there really is no bias in the fact that you are a moron that has never been particularly funny. If you happen to still be reading this, you are a lazy ass in the fact you have never explored the world of autism before you made such a stupid comment. Go firefighters!!! Forget about the lazy moms who have the most difficult life you could ever imagine...and oh, by the way, my child has completed studies by UCONN, Yale, Children's Hospital in Boston and Harvard. He's at the top of the spectrum due to 30-40 hour intensive services for the last 5-6 years. I'm soooooo lazy and so is my son who now is in a typical classroom doing well.
By the way, you may be successful and you may "hide" behind the fact you are a "comedian," but the fact remains that you are an ass.
Very, very, very sincerely,
Michelle

Nina   May 30th, 2009 12:38 am ET

oh no. Steve Harvey again?? he is really really funny. but his ideas are way toooooo old school. Especially on sex. he talks like women are just toys and men play with them. and this is just women who should be careful and cautious. come on!!!! this was good for 50 years ago
and what do you mean by " men cheat because there are so many women out there who want to do that?"" this is ridiculous. there are lots of things out there Dear Steve, a gentleman doesn't go for them just because they are out there!

Marsha Palmer   May 30th, 2009 12:49 am ET

We really love Steve Harvey and his book here in Jamaica, and I'd love to have him for a women's convention here. How do we get him in our line up to promote the book and a talk?

Nina   May 30th, 2009 12:55 am ET

Here we go. he is starting again. "The benefit Package" . is just from one side. what the hell is that?? is sex a weapon? it's a natural process in relationships ( which are not games as you say.)- and Steve, why do you walk away from Atheists?? they might have their own reasons!!! oh my god!!!!!!!!

Evita Castine   May 30th, 2009 12:57 am ET

I love Steve Harvey! My mother bought me his book Act Like a Lady/THink Like a Man. I was skeptical at first, but I read the first chapter and I was hooked. I cried, and I laughed and it make me change the way I approach relationships. It helped me evaluate an abusive situation and get out of it. I organized a book talk around it in Los Angeles and invited my girlfriends and their boyfriends or guy friends and we had a talk about it. The men really reinforced the ideas he shared in his book. I really see how much of a part I play into having a healthy relationship. I recommend this book for men and women!

Dani   May 30th, 2009 12:57 am ET

I was enjoying the interview with Steve Harvey until he said that atheists are "idiots". It's obvious Steve doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand that religion is about faith and that the existence of a grand deity has yet to be proven. He sounded like an 8 year old when he suggested that that the theory of evolution states that humans came from monkeys. I suggest he take a science class. I also suggest he read the Gospels. Jesus preached that we not judge others. Steve is obviously "judging others" when he says that atheists are idiots.

Dorothy   May 30th, 2009 12:57 am ET

Joy – You look terrific! Your hair, face, makeup – love it!! Thanks for a fun evening with Denis & Steve. Very entertaining!!

Brian Gardner   May 30th, 2009 12:58 am ET

I'm just wondering what the eff is wrong with Steve Harvey. Has he never had a biology class? Does he not know the basic ideas of evolution? "If we evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys?"

Is seriously no one going to educate this poor fool?

Maybe if he wouldn't walk away from anyone with differing views, maybe he would learn a thing or two.

I was enjoying the show until he insulted me for being an atheist.

Vicki   May 30th, 2009 12:59 am ET

So what are we to do? I enjoy sexual activity with a partner, especially a partner who has NOT pissed me off yet. So, if I want a committed relationship, I must hold out for that man who seems to be relationship commitment and just go out and have sex with other people behind their back? That seems like the biggest game. If that is how men operate, perhaps I just need to stay with the friends with benefits & sex in and of itself.

Lia   May 30th, 2009 12:59 am ET

My husband of 19 years wants out. I don't. I have tried to win him back but he is going the other way. What can I do?

maureen   May 30th, 2009 12:59 am ET

How can a woman help her spouse to overcome infidelity?

Mike   May 30th, 2009 12:59 am ET

So Mr. Harvey apparently according to what you just said on the show only people that believe in "God" are worth talking too? You are pretty ignorant or stupid sir. So you wouldn't speak with Ghandi? I don't believe in God but that doesn't mean I don't have most of the same moral beliefs that you do. And lets not forget, Christianity isn't the oldest religion in the world, so if there are other religions that are older than Christianity and there is a "God", then "God" has let those religions exist.

Fern Wayman   May 30th, 2009 1:00 am ET

I thought Steve Harvey looked, spoke and acted like a moron and when he called all atheists "idiots", my thoughts were confirmed.

Carol Stiles   May 30th, 2009 1:00 am ET

Steve harvey is dead on right. I gave both my girls a book called the Golden Rules when they came of age, which states the same principles.

aneesah   May 30th, 2009 1:03 am ET

hi steve,

im a 28 year old woman looking for a husband is looking the wrong thing to do?

Jessika   May 30th, 2009 1:03 am ET

I'm very disgusted by the show with Steve Harvey tonight. I'm sick of ignorant religious people not willing to educate themselves just so quick to pass judgement on others. He said "If you don't believe in the same, I don't want to talk to you". So he's too superior to talk to an atheist. Eww he makes me sick to my stomach....and I'm sorry but why would anyone every buy his book? Why would anyone want advice on their relationships from something who alienates those who are diverse from himself? He may disagree with slavery, but sounds to me like he's all about segregation. That's fine and dandy, all of you ignorant bible lovers can stick together, just don't think you can treat us any different because we don't believe in the lies. Can you say hypocrite??? Have a nice day mister Steve Harvey. Get over your little-man syndrome already honey.

Thomas M   May 30th, 2009 1:03 am ET

Thank you Steve!!!! I have four girls and one son. The girls range in age from 17 to 6. I'm giving the girls your book, age appropriately, to help them with their relationships, especially regarding the 5 questions.

Mike   May 30th, 2009 1:05 am ET

So to continue Mr. Harvey, thanks for re-affirming my belief that Christianity is ridiculous. If a religion makes it's believers think that it's not worth it to speak to someone who doesn't believe in that religion then I certainly don't want to to have anything to do with it. Is that what your "God" or "Jesus" would want from you? Aren't you supposed to be accepting of others? I guess if you are dumb enough to not speak to those who don't believe in "God" then you wouldn't know otherwise, would you? So why don't you stop your rediculous TV spots and focus on fixing yourself, not others.

bev   May 30th, 2009 1:07 am ET

Steve...why must God fearing people be so judgmental of others? There's scripture about judging others, and yet you're arrogant enough to call people who believe differently from yourself "Idiots"? I was so disappointed in you for sounding like one. Your attempt to provide supportive data was insufficient. Larry King can do better...so can Oprah...so can you.

Linda K   May 30th, 2009 1:13 am ET

God or not we're all made of about 96% of the same stuff, So wether your a dandelion or just talking about one, there isn't must room for error between creating people or a toe fugus. Someone out there has it figured out because unfortunately we have both.
Linda

TD   May 30th, 2009 1:17 am ET

I think Steve Harvey is an idiot. What in the world? A women's best asset is her body and "benefit package"? So, it is up to women to decide when to have sex because men are incapable of saying no or waiting. This logic is exactly what has led to the inequality of women and a rape tolerant culture. This is a gross double standard. All of his comedy relies on gender stereotyping, and quite frankly it is old, stale, and offensive.

And, give me a break, he doesn't talk to athiests? Well, isn't that open-minded and loving? How can he learn from people with different beliefs if he doesn't listen to them?

norma   May 30th, 2009 1:18 am ET

steve..I am a 36 y/o married woman with 3 kids.. MY husband works and lives in maryland ..he here 3 times aot the month.Im tired steve of working ,doin homework. pickin up ..makin dinner going on school trips and being super mom..he has it easy he just has to worry about dressing hiself and feeding hiself..wat should i do

Monalisa   May 30th, 2009 1:24 am ET

Chris O, Did you forget that We had 9/11 when Bosh was the president. Wasn't it a failiar, a non forgivable one.

H.   May 30th, 2009 1:25 am ET

I met Steve Harvey when I was invited as a guest performer to his "Big Show" ( where is that Big Show now?!.
He's the worst talk show host I ever encountered, even a few notches up from Rosseane Barr, they would make a real good couple! ...
He just mentioned on your show that MEN (and what gives him the rights or expertise to talk for all men) are what they do (!?!) "you are a STAR or a NOBODY". Well, now I understand why he treated me as he did, even at the rehearsal, before he saw what I do. He treated me as a nobody. And I thought it was just his revenge for slavery ...
The first thing I heard from his producers and staff was "don't be funnier than him" ... Mmmmm ...
The way he treated not only me but his entire staff on the set, was disgusting. I pity the man.
So long Steve harvey! To me you are not even funny. And guess what you can do with your book ...

Nancy   May 30th, 2009 1:43 am ET

Lisa: Most atheists I know (including myself) do have a solid understanding of religion. I was raised by a devout Catholic mother and an atheist father. My parents respected each other's spiritual beliefs and were married for over 40 years before my mother's death. My father also supported my mother 100% in raising me Catholic. So I'm not sure what you're basing your assumption that without faith in a higher being there can be no gauge of morality. I suppose you can make the argument that I was at least raised with a religious foundation, but my father wasn't. However, I received my moral compass from both my parents. Though my father does not believe in God, he does believe in the good of humanity, and the difference between right from wrong.

I also disagree with your assumption that atheists do not investigate what religion really means before criticizing. I spent enough years in catechism to have a full understanding of the bible. I'm not an expert in religion, but do have a fundamental knowledge in Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, and even Wicca. My spiritual search is what led me to become an atheist.

Given all that, I do have respect for people and there spiritual beliefs, but it does offend me when people make comments such as the one Steve Harvey made. It implies that atheists are less than human. Of course everyone has the right to their opinion, but we also have the right to respond to those opinions and criticisms.

I realize that atheists are just as critical, but we tend to not give full understanding of our beliefs (or lack of), other than claiming religion is a lie. So I'll sum it up in a way that maybe you can understand and respect:

My spirituality is based on natural occurrences. Nature is a beautiful and mysterious thing that may or may never be revealed. Rather than wasting my life trying to solve it's puzzle or giving into to a higher power solely based on faith, I admire the wonderment of its mystery and respect its beauty.

Susan   May 30th, 2009 2:39 am ET

Once again, Steve Harvey shows us how un-Christian many "Christians" are. He is welcome to his opinion- he certainly doesn't have to talk to people who don't believe what he believes, but to label and entire group of people "idiots" because they don't believe what you believe is not only ignorant, offensive and arrogant, but – yes- un-Christian.

I believe in God, but I do not insist everyone else believe- nor do I think God would even want it that way. Whatever happened to valuing our differences? Are Christians so scared and insecure in their beliefs that they cannot tolerate another point of view or even – maybe- allow themselves to be enriched by another point of view that is contrary to theirs? No one ever learned anything listening to themselves talk. An exchange of ideas is a good thing.

I think the awesome power of discovery and the ability to question the world we live in is at the heart of everything that is beautiful, pure and God-sent. Whether it's the discovery of gravity, evolution, the Dead Sea Scrolls, or the solar system- our ability to think and decide and decern is a God-given gift.

I can tell you this- I was considering buying his book- but if it is filled with the same hateful intolerance I saw him display on the show, I figure the "Christian" thing to do is to boycott it.

angelina   May 30th, 2009 3:59 am ET

I just saw Joy Behar interview Steve Harvey, I love her by the way, but I'm sorry I am not going out to get his book. What's the deal with him not wanting to know people who don't believe in God. He's a fool

Alex Pena   May 30th, 2009 3:59 am ET

Wow, really Steve Harvey? A man measures himself by how much money they make and what kind job they hold? It almost sounds like just another horrible joke you tell. One more thing, in a world based on logic and understanding, how can you call people an idiot for not believing in a god. You are the idiot for believing in an all knowing old male hanging out in heaven, because that is the only idiotic thing I have heard of. So Steve Harvey I would call you an idiot and not talk to you. Way to ruin your career on this show. I guess your not a man anymore since your career is ruined, right?

C in NC   May 30th, 2009 4:01 am ET

Loved Steve's book. Truth-filled easy read. I found it insightful and funny. I wish Steve joy as his career continues to expand.

Everett Eddy   May 30th, 2009 4:03 am ET

I understand, completely, how Steve believes, about a God, the 'creations', etc, the uniformity of all things. Common sense and a gut feeling.....
Steve is a 'right on' man! Steve is funny while giving right on, exacting advice, on men, women and other important topics!

Irene   May 30th, 2009 4:04 am ET

Steve Harvey gave a great interview. The stand in host did a poor job, You need to have him back again with Larry King to get a real interview!!

Jamel P.   May 30th, 2009 4:17 am ET

Wow, I didn't know how ignorant Steve Harvey was until I saw this interview. Atheists are idiots? Really, Steve? This coming from someone who isn't intelligent enough to know that the Theory of Evolution DOESN'T say that humans come from monkeys. This coming from someone who doesn't bother having a discussion with an atheist or to even educate yourself on why anyone is an atheist?

You asked, "if there's no God, where did all this come from?" If you're going to ask that, then you need to continue with, "if there's a God, where did he come from and why is it a he?" "Are there other Gods for him to mate with or something?" Use your brain! But that would contradict your religion's claim that God is omnipotent and unchanging.

Do you think Hindus and Muslims are idiots, too? You must, since they don't believe in the God you believe in. Every non-Christian must be an idiot, as well, according to your logic. You don't even have the class to accept that other people are entitled to their beliefs. Instead, you actually advise women in your book to avoid atheists. A true dictator in the making.

I was going to buy your book, Steve, but now that I see how ignorant you are, I won't bother. I can't wait for the backlash this is likely to cause.

dottie   May 30th, 2009 4:30 am ET

my question to steve harvey:is l had a long distance
relationship: but it's not working,because he come wont come
visited me in state where l lived., and he keep lying to
me on how he is coming or he going send me plane ticket
to visited him. l think the guy should visited the
lady 1st ,lf he is real about the relationship.
steve harvey ,tell me what's up.

Teboho Majela   May 30th, 2009 5:33 am ET

Hi Dennis. I'm also great fan of President Obama. You Americans I must say have changed my perception about your country since your election of Barrack Obama and I wish him success in his attempt to convince the would be enemies that talks and mutual respect is the only way to peace in this world. Good luck Mr President ! I know you will success. Teboho Majela, Cape Town, South Africa.

Teboho Majela   May 30th, 2009 5:51 am ET

Hi Steve. I am an African and a MoSotho and proud of my culture that includes allowing what the West refere to as polygamy. We'll practice it until the Son of Man comes. You 'll have to live with it. I must say you have no regard to other peoples' culture. May I also inform you that a woman in my culture has a choice to be part of such a marriage. Teboho Majela, Cape Town, South Africa.

Warren, Washington DC   May 30th, 2009 5:53 am ET

Caught the Steve Harvey interview on the late night re-run. In discussing creation, he couldn't say 'gaseous' but, rather, he said 'gastous." Most of his commentary was trite and not really worthy of your network. Shame on CNN for allowing idiots on TV.

Romy   May 30th, 2009 5:57 am ET

Steve Harvey is an idiot and should not be allowed to give anyone relationship advice. He is a misogynist and a moron and is just not qualified!

Alex Groom   May 30th, 2009 5:59 am ET

Is there such thing as the friend zone?? and how come I'm always getting stuck in it?

AYA YAO   May 30th, 2009 6:00 am ET

hi larry
i absolutly love your show. you always have great guest on the show.
but tonight, i just want to say that the comedian steve harvey comment about atheists is offensive, harvey need to to let go of his religious narrowmindinees and supertitions and get an education.
aya

Bonnie Medina   May 30th, 2009 6:01 am ET

How do you gracefully live with an Alcoholic when he is in denial.....when will they WAKE UP? His health and life are being destroyed by drinking and smoking...

PAtrick Bopwa   May 30th, 2009 6:10 am ET

Hey Steve, you are amongst the greastest and funniest to ever exist.
Really love your show very much because takes my mind off every day routine as well as providing real life advice.

C Kelly   May 30th, 2009 11:58 am ET

Whether we want to accept it or not our morals and ethical processes and laws do have Judeo-Christian roots in North America and EUROPE! Even the word "Athiest" is a word formed IN REACTION, to one's belief in god, a god etc. International law also has at its base the beliefs and values found in Islam and other world religions-Western civilization has greatly influenced law and professional ethics of all disciplines-if you want to acknowlege our evolutionary ancestory-then we must acknowlege the influence our societal and cultural ancestories as well.

Dave of Detroit   May 30th, 2009 3:25 pm ET

Evidently, he prefers "Honey" to Father-In all seriousness, he was informed on the expectations that the Roman Catholic Church put upon those who take a Priestly vow-He broke his vow and that isn't the fault of the Roman Catholic Church!
On the Harvey remark that Atheists are idiots-that does need correction. Only the Evolutionists are "Idiots"as Darwin wanted to prove his theory by selecting his first Cousin to marry to breed another superior mind such as his own-He goofed as that is definitely "Unnatural Selection" and his offspring was an "embecile!"Therefore, if you are a follower of the Progenitor of Evolution that personally fathered an "embecile' , it is accurrate to say that you are an idiot as the word have the same meaning!

Mark   May 30th, 2009 3:42 pm ET

Bonnie, Gracefully living with an alcoholic is doing him no good. It probably isn't doing you any good either.

Elizabeth   May 30th, 2009 5:45 pm ET

Steve Harvey is an insult to Christians. I am a scientist and a Christain, and I feel he is an absolute embarrassment to our religion. It is hard to be both a scientist and a Christian, but I find most people understanding. This man seems to be extreemly uneducated and when that combines with unwillingness to listen to other people's points of view, it is just embarrassing to us people who do try and make an educated arguement.

Dave of Detroit   May 30th, 2009 7:37 pm ET

Mark-some meaning-how about the fact that you are named after John Mark, the youngest of the Disciples that outran Peter to the opened Sepulchre after the Resurrection of Christ-Mark was the Bible's reporter and wrote as a reporter-interested in events more than dialogues. The Gospel of Mark is represented by the Head of the Ox and he represented the ministry of Christ as being God's faithful Servant always busily doing his father's work-That's the best I can do for you-I hope it helps.....Good name!

Muffilou   May 30th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

I love when Joy guest-hosts! She is great. I have always really loved Denis Leary and have enjoyed his shows; The Job was great, love Rescue Me, loved the webisodes during the writers' strike, that strike was so brutal, so glad it's over. Steve Harvey is a riot and his comments on relationships are hilarious. Joy is the best! She's very warm and welcoming, not at all too smooth, everyone has a few natural stumbles now and then which the rest of us humans appreciate, Joy obviously knows her stuff and she's not afraid to pursue a difficult line of questioning – she is very appealing and the type of person that is easy to 'spend time with', I appreciate her comedic ability but also her interviewing is great – hope she comes back more and more and thanks!

Mark   May 30th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

Dave of Detroit, Thanks for trying – I truly appreciate the time that you put in to this. I'm grateful that there are people like you in this world, I think so anyway. As long as you're accepting of those of us that believe differently than you do. My name may have a lot behind it, but it means nothing to me, as you've explained it. To have the knowledge is wonderful. Matters of the heart, the experiences that affect all of us, caring for others, for animals. It might sound trite, but I can't imagine another way – when those that surround us ( who are counter to these ideas) pummel life with intolerance. Unfortunately religion, and the bible always pop up in their rants and raves. It turns me off completely. As I've written in this blog, my wife is a devout Catholic. I do not believe at all. Yet, my wife is a believer who interprets the "teachings of Jesus" in a beautiful way, with NO intolerance toward people. Thanks again.

Susan   May 31st, 2009 3:43 am ET

I have 2 more things to say 😉

1) Joy is a terrific substitute host. She asks interesting questions and did in fact, try to persue why Steve Harvey was so close-minded about Aethists. She asked, but didn't really persue it to the point of being unkind or putting him in a truly uncomfortable position- which is what a good host does.

2) I'm so tired of poeple saying that only Christians have morals and that all values worth having are originated by them. Long before Christ, the Greeks and other civilizations hit on the "golden rule" or the rule of reciprocity. In fact, the only "Judeo-Christian" values that are really laws are don't kill and don't steal. People figured that out a long time before Christ.
My whole point is, values, treating people with respect and tolerance are not unique to Christians- in fact, if people like Steve Harvey show us anything- it's that they don't respect or show tolerance. I wonder sometimes how Christ would feel about people who think like Steve.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter