CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 20, 2009

LKL TONIGHT (WEDNESDAY DISCUSSION THREAD)

Posted: 06:35 PM ET

1tv.larrycustomTonight, the boy with cancer - it might already be deadly– he's on the run with his mom.  Should he be forced, by law, to take Chemo treatment?

Now the dad is begging them to come home.  The latest on a medical rights drama and how it could affect you.

Plus,

An exclusive interview in the Michael Vick dog-fighting case...his attorneys are here to discuss Vick's release from prison.

Then,

Always gorgeous Vanessa Williams stops by.  The 'Ugly Betty' star is a former beauty queesn who took a fall and rose above it all.  We'll ask her about the Miss California scancdal & more.

Got a question?  Submit it here.  We might just read it on the air tonight!

See you at 9pm ET, only on Larry King Live

Filed under: Larry King Live

Dodie ~ California   May 20th, 2009 8:21 pm ET

Good evening Larry and Blog staff!

I cannot give an answer to whether the child has to take chemo by law. I have taken chemo and it was indescribable how sick and grueling chemo treatments were not to mention the chemo I took has killed some people as it destroys your heart valves. A good friend and a family member both died from the chemo treatments.

I will say that the mother abducted the child from the father and that is punishable by law. The mother running around the country will also place added stress on this child’s immune system increasing the chances of his death.

It is a tragic situation

Susan, Vancouver B.C.   May 20th, 2009 8:33 pm ET

I believe in the rights of children, most who do not know any more than what they are told by the only people they look up to in order to survive. I, personally, know how parents can oppress.

These young lives do not belong to the parents and the parents have no right to deprive the children of treatment that, in 90% of all cases, will cure them.

Daniel's mother is guilty of at least one thing; the arrogance of thinking she knows more than the medical community. I would be very afraid to live my life without my son knowing that I could have helped him. The end of the story in this case will be very important and I hope the media does not decide to ignore it.

Michelle, Spring Valley, CA   May 20th, 2009 9:06 pm ET

Hi larry,

I'm a mom who made a choice to stop treatment for my son, but my son didn't have a chance, this boy has a chance. I know it's unfair to say that another mother can't have the same rights, but in my book, the rights of children trump parent's rights every time. That child has a treatment with a possible 80% chance of living! When you've lost a child because there's NO treatment it's hard to sympathize with her.

Stephanie Pardy   May 20th, 2009 9:07 pm ET

I am so upset with these so called christians hiding behind there religions. Please show me in the bible where it says not to use doctors. .Luke was a physcian. I was raised in a Pentecostal home and we pray for and believe in using our doctors.

sharon g   May 20th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

This kid barely knows how to read and write. Do you think he's smart enough to make this decision ... or has he been brain washed?

Julie Dresner   May 20th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

I just had a stem cell transplant for Hodgkins disease. I have been battling this disease on and off for 20 years. While chemo and radiation are no picnic and can be toxic, they are very a effective treatment, leading to a possible cure. Being a young boy, he stands a good chance of surviving and thriving.
These cancer cells are very resilient and if not treated correctly, they become very difficult to get rid of. Right now time is of the essence.

Diane- Portland Oregon   May 20th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

I know everyone is angry at the parents for allowing this child to choose not to have chemotherapy but why is the Medical Community allowed to make a decision for this child that goes against his wishes? They are honest in saying this will cause pain for the child but that the cure may only last about five years; at least according to what I have read in previous news stories on this.
Shouldn't we be commending the parents for trying to protect the right to refuse treatment that their son has chosen? Or am I misunderstanding this issue?

MaryAnn   May 20th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

I watched my mother go through (2) rounds of chemo theraphy and I can say that her decision not to continue were in HER best interest...I think its appauling that the state wants to step in and tell this family what they have to subject their son to based upon a "court order"; it is NOT the decision of the state...the young person himself has stated that he does not want to be subjected to chemo theraphy and I think that his decision and the decision of the family's SHOULD BE RESPECTED...unless you have walked a MILE IN SOMEONE'S SHOES, THE JUDGE, THE STATE, AND ANY ONE ELSE HAS NO RIGHT TO STATE OTHERWISE!!!

Athena D   May 20th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

The story about the boy who has cancer is such a touching one. We all in one form or another have had a loved one go through cancer, if it wasn't ourselves. We desperately want to help as much as we can and our fears certainly push us to do outrageous things. Whether pleaing with a loved one to move forward on a clinical trial or help them get through one more round of chemotherapy.

However, what it comes down to is the person with the cancer. They have the final word. No matter what the rest of us say, we need to respect the cancer patient's wishes. In this case, the boy is underage, but we have to truly believe that his parents are doing the best for their son.

With all of the controversy, no wonder the Mother and has possibly taken her son and fled her home state. She is in desperate need to do the best she knows for her child.

Let this Mother parent her son the best way she knows how and let them be. This is a difficult decision in "normal" circumstances. Her son does not deserve to be running away from the press and the critics to do "the right thing" in someone else's eyes.

Sympathetic in New Jersey

angela   May 20th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

I didnt know the gov cared so much about our health??

Ron   May 20th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

Let them alone. We have laws to for people who are responsible for the death of another.

After the son dies, the parents can be charged with manslaughter through to murder.

Withholding medical treatment from a child is negligence and abuse and they should be charged.

"It's our way of life" to let their children and or to hasten their child's death.

Let the law take its course.

Carol   May 20th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Ask Wayne WHERE the children of the US will get their pets when they're adults – – IF he succeeds in "one generation and they're out"!!

Ask Wayne WHY he has a convicted terrorist on his staff.

Ask Wayne WHY the Louisiana Atty General is interested in knowing what happened to the $$ H$U$ STOLE from Louisiana after Katrina to help care for dogs – – and, while you're at it, ASK him WHAT happened to those dogs?

Ask Wayne what happened to all the $$ they STOLE from kind-hearted people who thought they would use the $$ for the Vicks' dogs!

Ask Wayne WHY he hates animals! He has NO pet – and NEVER has!!!! He LIES about them – and the lies aren't the same every time.

sydney j. smith   May 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

I think it is a private, family/doctor decision, period.

Mary Carlson   May 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

I'm a survivor of Stage 4B Hodgkins Lymphoma. This is such a treatable cancer, and DEADLY if not treated. His mom needs to meet with other mom's of kids with Hodgkins and get over her fear so she can help her son live.

Jazmine   May 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

now im not sure about the chemo by law, but the mother taking the child is punishable by law. The mother is being comepletely selfish in this case and if the chemo can help the mother might have taken his only option away. Running away will not solve anything, if anything it makes the situation worse i feel for the father right now! and im only 17 i have friends his age with cancer and their moms arent taking them around the country, this is really sad!

Michael Vick- ehh he is cruel to animals

On another note, excited to see Ms. Vanessa Williams (love her on UB,my fav) and cant wait for the album to drop is she planing on doing any tours for us fans who cant get enough of her?(even though seeing on tv on a weekly basis is close)! Shes such an inspiration to alot of African American females including myself, she is proof that even if u have done something wrong dont dwell in it get up and go for your dreams and you shall overcome girlfriend! The whole Miss Cali. thing im over it she said what she said did what she did miss america is soooo overrated, im upset that the news focuses so much on this rather than important things like the boy w/ cancer and his mother, the media has their priorites mixed up, good thing there is larry king!!!!!

Jessica Maxcy   May 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

This women is claiming she is protecting her son, Now she has abandoned the rest of her children!!

Cynthia   May 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

A lot of adults are terrified of chemotherapy; the teatment is almost as bad as the disease. This family should be allowed to explore holistic treatments for cancer. Some of them are very effective.

Barb Rumrill   May 20th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Dear Mr. King,

I was treated with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2006 with chemo and radiation (Stanford V Regimen). I had NO ill side effects ecept hair loss due to Valtrex to prevent mouth sores, Zofran provided NO nausea or vomiting. While mentally difficult I'm living proof that these harsh treatments can be given without ill side effects.

JOHN, CEDAR CREEK TX   May 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

What stage is he in? Any idea? What happens when they find him? He has said, as an apparently capable 13 year old that he doesn't want the treatment. Will he be strapped down and forcibly injected with what Dr Gupta referred to as toxic treatment? How in the world can this square with a society that values the individual and their right to make their own choices. Thirteen year olds can be arrested and tried as adults if it's determined that they are competent. Is this young man to be forced into therapy?

MTS   May 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

Education, Education, Education. Hodgkins is a CURABLE form of lymphoma ,and yes chemo is difficult to go through, but this child has a chance to live a full life.
I am approaching my sixteenth year cancer/Hodgkin's free.
The treatments were difficult, but I live a very happy-healthy life, and would do it again if I had to.
The longer he goes without treatment the poorer the prognosis !!
I wish this family all the best and hope Daniel survives this ordeal.

MTS, RN

Joy   May 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

My husband had Non hodgkins lymphoma 8 yrs ago and took Rituxin a form of chemo and has been clean for 5 yrs. He should get the treatment asap. The treatment is not that bad

Sherri   May 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

To force this is barbaric!!
If a 13 year old can be tried as an adult. Why can they not choose there own medical treatment. Young people in these situations are more often than not very mature.
I personally would feel like I was being raped if someone forced a medical treatment on me. We do not force sterilization, abortion why chemo.
if your outlook plays a large part in recovery this would not work very well for him anyway!
This is why national health care scares me to death!

MN Mom   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

What has not been mentioned on this show, is the fact that the man who calls himself a shaman, and sells the "natural" products that this family is relying on, has been convicted of fraud in two states. Native American groups have called his company a pyramid scheme that is expoiting people who are looking for true natural Native American remedies. This is not a Native American Tribe! To join this "tribe" and purchase the products there is a fee of $250, once paid, you are a member. This family is tragically, a victim of fraud.

Pam Huey   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Don't the parents have the right to choose which form of treatment they should have for their sick child. I believe the they should have the right to refuse chemo and opt for a different kind of treatment.

angela   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Michael Vick or anybody that abuses animals for sport, has something deeply deeply wrong or missing from their core. Dogs are so much better than some people, it's a mystery.

Candice Cartwright   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Look people no one other than the parents have exclusively the right to decide on THEIR childs course of treatment. It does not matter what the legal world thinks, what the medical world thinks, the media or society. I don't care if you share their beliefs or not. People need to mind their own business, this should not even be a matter being held in the courts to begin with and if all the nosy ass people in the world spent half the attention to the drug lords, crime, crooked politicans, the homeless and hungry as they are to this family right now; think of all they could accomplish then. Perhaps kids could attend school safely free of worry of being approached by drug dealers. Elderly could live safely in their homes free of fear of being swindled or vandelized. The government would run for the people by the people instead of the elected officials and the list just goes on and on. I am so sick of busy know it alls sticking their righteous noses into other's lives instead of where it really needs to be.

Ralph   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Why did she take him to the doctor for a diagnosis if she will not treat him? She is seeking the attention that refusing treatment and running away has brought her. Look for a million dollar book deal.

Michelle   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

The mother will get her satisfaction of adhering to her religion, but will that be enough to miss her son for the rest of her life? Everyone's beliefs should be respected, except when it endangers the life a minor child. There's something wrong with this picture.

Judy Self   May 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

I hope they make it out of the country. If they go back I feel sure
that he will be forced against his will to have chemo. I just heard
Dr. Grupta say he definitely would make him have chemo. Chemo
is not 'proven' to work either. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. Mostly not. Last time I looked it was a free country and
everyone should have the right to free choice about their own health. We say we are proud of America and that there is no other country like it in terms of freedoms and then we are constantly trying to force people here to all be the same, think the same, like the same thing, do the same things, and say the same things. Any deviation from the base is demonized. Shame on us. I hope he runs far and fast away from this.

Michelle Wine   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

As a atheist I am sickened by the fact people of religious or other affiations think they can tell people what to do just because they themselves do not believe. So much for freedom.

Gary Marquart   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

To those who refuse any treatment not found in nature as being not in God's plan: Assuming that man is God's creation, man's intellect and curiosity is part of that creation. God surely wanted man to use that intellect to better his existence. The drugs that man has created, then, are indeed a result of God giving man the intellectual capacity to do so. Denying treatement using these drugs is then in direct conflict with God's purpose.

D.W. Wood   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Since the mother is in defiance of a court order, and knowing that her son may die if he does not recieve traditional medical treatment, if the boy dies she should be charged with premeditated murder (murder 1). This would send a message to all that children and thier best interest comes before any crazy religious beliefs of the parents.

Barbara Shapiro, M.D.,Ph.D.   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

My husband and I are both physicians, and our four year old daughter was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer two years ago. We knew we had to treat her, but we were also concerned about the side effects of the chemotherapy and radiation. Our daughter underwent radiation and chemotherapy, and is now doing great. However, we modifed the chemotherapy regimen when the side effects became too toxic. This is what Daniel and his mother need to know – that chemotherapy regimens can be modified to suit the patient – the physicians need to reach out to Daniel and his mother, and explain this to them, which might help bring them back, to reconsider the chemotherapy, which could save Daniel's life.

James Forrest   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Larry, I received chemo for Non-Hodgkins lymphoma 22 years ago. Radiation was considered, but chemo was chosen. Treatment 100% successful with no recurrence. A few months later, my slightly younger boss was treated with radiation for Hodgkins lymphoma. In his case, radiation was chosen over chemo. He was also restored to health. As Dr. Gupta says. This is treatable, it's not rocket science, it's just good medical practice. I grieve for this boy. His parents are so misguided.
Jim

Susan, Indianapolis IN   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Three years ago I underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment for stage II hodgkins lymphoma. It certainly was not easy but I was so thankful that they knew how to treat this. I hope Daniel's mother will see the opportunity she has been presented with to share many more years with her son. So many others do not have that choice.

Mel Snyder   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

This is a truly tragic case. The proponents of "natural cures" really are selling what was considered a "natural death" a century ago, Your spokesperson for that "natural" approach spouted repeated lies and misstatements that have nothing to do with either the disease or the treatment this child needs. It's time for the courts to prevent the voluntary homicide of this child. The "alternative therapy" for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is embalming fluid.

angela   May 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Poor Michael, thats how it works, you are actually responsible for your actions.

kathleen young   May 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

in 2000 i was treated for stage 2 breast cancer with a mastectomy and chemo. because of this treatment i have had nine years and have gotten to spent time with my young grandchildren. as a medical professional, i know the kind of cancer daniel has can be cured and the docs can ease his side affects. find him!

Sue   May 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I want Daniels mother to know that my Daughter had Hodgkins at 13 too. She had Chemo and Radiation and is a survivor and she now is 29 years old and very Healthy. Ya she was sick after treatment for about 2 days but after those few days she went to school, played sports, ya she lost her hair.. She didnt care she was alive, she did not care what others thought of her with no hair. All she needed was the support and she had more than enough of that.. We are very christian people too,, but in this case God needs some help.. and Daniel needs this help to.. The Doctors are wonderful to sick children and please dont pass up this chance to help God help Daniel get better.

Trish   May 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Whatever happened to Freedom of choice in the USA?
How dare the medical community tell this mother how to take care of her child? I am a devoted mother myself and would never subject my child to chemo, UNLESS it was their choice. This mother is just a Mother Practicing unconditional Love for her son, perhaps they have healthy attitudes toward death as well, I consider her a brave loving Mother. Leave her alone!

Jill Foster   May 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Who will be paying for the cancer treatments for the boy's lymphoma regime if the judge should order them? If the family does not have the means to pay for his care, who will be responsible for providing them?

Barb Rumrill   May 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I feel that Michael Vick has done the time for his crime. I believe the NFL should reinstate him. Mr. Vick has wonderful talent and deserves a second chance like we all would hope to have if found guilty of breaking the law.

Susan   May 20th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

I wish the government was as concerned about the health of every unborn child as they are this boy and would seek to protect them from the doctors who are hired to murder them.

Zach - Michigan   May 20th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

It's definitely an odd situation. The mother faces an ultimatum, sacrificing either her child or her faith. She thinks she can have both, but unfortunately that isn't true. If I were her, I would take my child over my faith any day.

Shawn   May 20th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

I would like to know what are the consequences in their religion for not following there prescribed methods of treatment? is there any type of forgiveness for partaking in conventional medicine.

secondly, i would argue that God provided us with our minds and the ability to take things from the environment and adapt it to our needs. chemotherapy and radiation treatment is the same as using any other kind of tool.

Myrna   May 20th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Let them come home. Let them live their life the way their higher power leads them. The cure is as bad or worse than the disease.

Robin   May 20th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

While what Michael Vick did to his dogs is reprehensible, what the HSUS does to the American public on a daily basis is equally as reprehensible...
Soliciting funds/donations under the guise of "helping animals", while a paltry 6 percent only ever goes DIRECTLY to help shelters!

Ally   May 20th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

What kind of country is this where a teacher can sit on a boy and kill him, yet continue to teach instead of being arrested and sent to jail for murder, yet so much time and money is being spent to find a boy who should have the right to refuse treatment? And they want to arrest the mom??!!! That's ridiculous!!!! Arrest those teachers who are killing the kids!!!!

angela   May 20th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

he makes me sick, I dont care.

Joe   May 20th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Larry,
I am one of the 100 longest survivors of childhood blood cancers. I too had hodgkins disease. I was diagnosed 41 yrs ago. When I was diagnosed I was told my survival chances were less than 2%. I was one of the first 193 people to take an experimental drug that turned the disease from 98% fatal to 95% curable. This child will die unless he is treated. His family spokesman said they are concerned about secondary cancers. There are people workng hard on monitoring patients to make sure they are aware of long term risks. If he is not treated the possibility of long term effects is nil.. he will be dead. Shame on his parents and shame on those who think his parents are right.

Bob Catalano   May 20th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

The medical industry is bordering on the criminal. Chemotherapy is a useless, horrendous assault on the human body. It cures nothing. Children, with their pristine immune systems often recover tin spite of this horrible assault on the immune system. Those with weaker immune systems often die horrible deaths. I think the drug industry should be stopped in it's attempt to force their vile products on the American People. First step would be to ban political contributions by these people. 2nd step would be to ban drug adverttising on TV.
The use of drugs in the treatment of disease proves to be more of a fraud every day. All senior citizens are sick. All senior citizens are on drugs. Put 2 and 2 together.

Sue   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

back to Daniel and my Dtr. When the Doctors found my daughters Hodgkins she had a 25 percent of survival and was also in Congestive Heart Failure and Now she is a Very Healthy 29 year old. And Maine Childrens Cancer Program in Portland Maine is a wonderful place.

Dr. Wladimir Louis Charles   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

what about the bioethics issues; has anybody tought about that. Without a doubt traditional treatment will help the boy, what about the autonomy of the patient. In this case the parents are the guardians of this child aren't they entitled to their autonomy to chose their own treatment. Wat about the Jehova's witness about receiving blood tranfusion.

Susan B   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

There's one thing that's being left out of the discussion of the boy with cancer and that is the part that attitude plays in healing. Despite the high success rate of chemo for this type of cancer, if this boy believes that the chemo will kill him it is certainly possible that his strong belief will have a deleterious effect on the outcome of the treatment. People tend to heal best when they believe in the treatment they are receiving and believe in their doctor. Neither of these is true for this boy.

Dan Petrosko   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

I, too was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma but at age 53.

The chemotherapy was not pleasant, but I feel that it saved my life. Every medical situation is different, but the odds of success with a 13 year old boy are very favorable. The chemotherapy method is really the only choice, since this cancer will not heal itself.

My suggestion: Daniel, the 13-year old cancer patient should have the recommended treatment – you can't play around with cancer!

Jeff   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

While we focus on one child who has access to the healthcare system (but refuses treatment), we have forgotten to mention the children around the country who require care but do not have the same access. I believe that is the true story.

Darrell Wayne   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Larry, Michael Vick does deserve a second chance however, he should spend quite a bit of time at the Humane Society and the SPCA. he should also make a hefty donation to these agencies and come out to the public and show remorse and inform children what he did was wrong. He will be viewed as a role model, and he is not much of one at this point!

Myrna   May 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

If it was one of my son's that had abused those animals they would still be in jail. Let him be punished as a normal man. Money SHOULD NOT rule.

Lynne - Pompano Beach, FL   May 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

I feel the family is responsible for the child, not the 'state'. A physician should give the statistics and options to the family and then it is up to the family. This is like Terri Salvo, right to choose and other issues that never should involve the state/government.

As an adult, the medical establishment pushed for radiation treatment post sugery and I was unable to get any statistics until I had completed their process. Once that team was clear I would not return since they avoided any 'facts or data' I was told their treatment "improved my chances of non recurrance in the radiated area from 5 to 15%". So I lost another large section of lung on those odds? Not a bet I would have made, and they knew it. Cancer is big business in this country.

Lisa   May 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Hi,

Michael Vick served his time and in order for our justice system to have any integrity, he deserves the opportuntiy to go back to work. For him, that is going back into the NFL.

Terri Huff (3pugsmom)   May 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

I think the police should leave these people alone. Someone need to talk to the 13 year old. My kids were smart and I know they would have wanted a say in their heathcare. Maybe not the final but this boy should have some imput. Send the police and their warrents home

vicki   May 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Why is it that a 13 year old can be charged as an adult for a crime but he is not allowed to make a decision about treatment? Why do we have double standards. There are a lot of 13 year olds that commit murder and are not emotionally mature but are still tried as an adult.

Its his body and he seems mature enough to make a decision about going through pain or opting for alternative treatment. Miracles do happen. I have seen the effects of radiation which was the blame for my father dying not the cancer.There are side effects from treatment with Chemo or Radiation. We should have the choice because there are no guarantees with any treatment.

kevin   May 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

In regards to Michael Vick, what happend to his friends that were charged? Are they still serving time? Is Mike Vick getting preferential treatment b/c he is a celebrity? By preferential treatment, I mean early release from jail, house arrest, and probation vs. jail time.

Candace   May 20th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Why qre Daniel and his parents not being offered an alternative to chemo? I was diagnosed with Hodgkins in 1967 and was treated with radiation therapy with my mother being allowed to make decisions which would not have been chemo. Further my son who is the same age as Daniel was diagnosed with cancer in 2000 although not Hodgkin's. He received chemotherapy and suffered a horrific death which occured 10 weeks to the day of his first dose of chemo. I am an RN, PhD and support WEstern Medicine but am painfully aware that chemo is not a cake walk. It causes painful complications and can result in death. I admire this mother's courage. Your guest said she was acting out of fear which is likely a sign of intelligence and arresting her and separating her from her son is reprehensible.

Christy Kelman   May 20th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Hi Larry,
I am a Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor. I was diagnosed at 19 and went through 6 months of chemo and a month of radiation. I thank God for creating smart people to invent these current treatments. I respect the familys beliefs but like to think that God gave us the brains to create the amazing medical advances that we have. I wish i could talk to Daniel and his mother, I would tell them, please, please, go do the chemo treatment. I am now 24 and living a full and healthy life. I am so happy I followed my doctors advice, I hope you will too before things get worse. My best to the family.

Dr. B Miller   May 20th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Daniel deserves to have aggressive treatment and recovery of this rather curable disease. It is selfish and arrogant that his mother would supersede religious convictions for the survivability of her son.

As a family physician I have had to interject with similar decisions and the parents, regardless of their religious beliefs (in our cases, children of Amish), realized that the narrow focus of their initial decision to withhold treatment was not well thought out.

Daniel has the ability to have a long, fulfilling life. Why would a parent snatch that possibility from this child?

Roland Groce   May 20th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

What if Michael Vic was white???? I was born and raised on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where dog fights were common, at least as long as white men did it. Look, it doesn't take an scientist to see that the law was way too harsh on Mr. Vic. To be frank, it reminds me highly of the way they treated blacks back in the 60s and 70s. My uncle served 10 years for looking at a white woman back then and was punished for raping her for looking at her. Every black man that I know feels the same. What have we done to white men for treating people of color like animals in the past? This is what happens to BLACK atheletes who are good at what they do. Truely is a race thing.

VJ   May 20th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Dog Fighting was in existence way before Michael Vick was born, so he didn't create it. If these people cared about Human Rights as much as they care about Animal Rights this world would be indeed a better place. They treated blacks way worse that this everyday. I don't see anyone in this nation standing up and screaming. These same folks eat meat...Did they not realize that the animal was KILLED for them to eat meat....GIVE ME A ...........BREAK........

VONM MASSEY   May 20th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

CONCERNING THE BOYWITH CANCER. I HAVE TRYING TO SEND E-MAIL ? CAN'T GET IN !!! I HAVE INFORMATION ON NATURAL MED.
FOR THIS FAMILY. IT IS - LEMON GRASS FOUND IN ISREAL

GET IN TOUCH .

VON

Xiomara   May 20th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

The only thing anyone cares about is if some guy can kick, catch, hit, or throw a ball. His lawyer keeps talking about how much he deserves another chance like anyone else that has served their time. Just Joe Blow from the avenue who had a corporate job would probably not be able to go back to that job. Why should he be allowed to go back to playing football for millions of dollars. Let him be a plumber, bus driver, etc. That is a second chance at making a living. Let him prove himself while doing a regular every day job just like anybody else. I

Robin   May 20th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Larry,
Ask Wayne Pacelle WHY the HSUS solicited donations from the hard working, well meaning public to CARE for Vick's dogs when the HSUS DID NOT have custody of those dogs?

All the H$U$ cares about is MONEY and POWER.

Kelli from Tampa   May 20th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

I hope that Michael Vick is sorry for abusing animals. Unfortunately people who are cruel to animals are sociopaths...and will be cruel in to other forms of life as well. That is what we learn in abnormal psych. and what I have experienced working in the mental health field.

angela   May 20th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Is he remorseful about the sufferring he caused the animals, or just the fallout? Has he ever owned a dog?

concered/Denver Colorado   May 20th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Mick has paid his price ...and no one should want to take a his way of life from him ...football is but a short time ...he is human not a DOG ...

Jake   May 20th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

I am the owner of an American Staffordshire Terrier (aka "pitbull"). While I have no respect for Michael Vick, I do find it slightly amusing as well as disturbing that he was convicted of a crime...dog fighting...with pitbulls....yet there are many cities with pitbull bans who will euthanize them if caught. This in my mind puts these cities and communities in the same class as Michael Vick. If we are acknowledging these breeds are animals, why are we banning them? The Humane Society and the American public needs to make up their mind and quit being hypocrites as well as breed legislation.

LuTina   May 20th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Vick deserves NO SECOND CHANCE! The dogs that were tortured under his watchful eye didn't get a second chance! And if any team who picks him up should be boycott!

Ann Robinson   May 20th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

HSUS collected millions in order to "care for Michael Vick's dogs" - then recommended that they all be killed. How do they justify collecting this money? How does HSUS justify serving as a "good example" for Vick and rehabilitating HIM?

gerry, Vancouver, B.C.   May 20th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Dear Larry, & Blog staff,

If it is necessary by the U.S. law to have chemo if this child has
been apprehended, there is a chemo called Xeloda, ( my husband took it for his cancer) and it attacks only the cancer cells. This drug does not have the same debilitating effects of other chemo's but appears not to be told to the patients, by cancer agencies and oncologists.

Dr. Klimo, from the Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver is a dedicated oncologist who gives fabulous service, he is a true hero, and he is the only oncologist who recommended this treatment despite many visits to different doctors. My husband did fabulously on this treatment with little side effects. perhaps this will help the young man. This drug should be told to all cancer patients to let them decide. I wish the family all the best and will pray for them.

Rich Orlesky   May 20th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

First of all, it is a falsehood that the boy is not getting treatment. He is getting his alternative treatment. Notice that every second word from the so-called 'cancer experts' is 'might' or 'could' be healed. The standard for cancer 'cures' is 5 years of survival and it's called a cure.
Having lost my father, uncle, brother and a cousin to cancers, and watching them have their surgeries, chemo and radiation with the resulting slow painful endings, even while being told that the treatments were 'making progress,' I'm surprised that no one is asking the oncology industry what happened to the 290 billion dollars they've been given so far for their research. All we've gotten is that there is a cure in sight about 10 years down the road. Oh, their excuses for their treatment failings? If we'd started treatments sooner...blah, blah, blah. Can't argue that one, can we?

Ann Beckett   May 20th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Sanjay Gupta and others make the point that alternative treatments have "not been tested and/or proven to work." There's a reason for that. The drug companies, who are the entities that overwhelmingly underwrite scientific testing in this country, have nothing to gain from testing alternative treatments as they can't patent them and therefore can't profit from them. In other countries such as England, Germany and Israel this isn't the case and many alternative treatments have been validated by scientific testing. Two adults in my local community have defeated late stage cancer permanently (for 10 years in one case, 26 years in the other), using a concentrated raw foods diet exclusively. Both were medically tracked, one at Stanford. That gentleman cured two different cancers 26 years apart, the first after standard treatment failed, the second (melanoma), in his mid eighties. \
In the '90's I wrote a television special, based on a true story, which starred Meryl Streep, called "First Do No Harm." For decades conventional medicine has discounted a dietary treatment for intractable pediatric epilepsy called the "ketogenic diet," despite the fact that fastidious records kept for 70 plus years at John's Hopkins Children's Hospital documented that about three years supervised on this careful regimen literally cured a third of cases and significantly reduced number and intensity of seizures in another third. Since the film, and as a result of it, the research has been done, how the diet works biochemically analyzed and understood, and there are now more than 200 treatment facilities around the world using the diet to successfully treat not only peds epilepsy, but other neurological conditions as well, including brain tumor. The politics of conventional medicine and the undue influence of drug company self-interest keeps many viable, effective alternatives from being readily available or covered by insurance.

Elizabeth Pace   May 20th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Michael Vick is a sick, depraived human being. Any NFL team willing to take him on will no doubt receive reprecussions, anyone who loves animals will boycot the team. He's a moron who encoraged the killing of animals... a few months in jail, what a joke!

phillip montes jr   May 20th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

What Michael Vick did is unforgiveable, and sickening. What kind of person does this kind of thing? It's disgusting. I hope the NFL doesn't let him return. He is NOBODY's role-model, in fact, he's the opposite.

LeAnn   May 20th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

Perhaps a pole should be taken with other felons who come out of prison ,and see how many of them have an easy time getting back to their jobs and their careers, as was stated by one of Larry's guests, when affirming that Mike should be able to back to his life and career. I do not believe that any Felon finds employment easy.

Dana   May 20th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

There are plenty of careers that do not allow you to continue to practice if convicted of a crime or certain crimes ie. practice law, educator, etc. Professional athletes are role models and it is a responsibility that they are aware of when they sign up; therefore, I don't think it is to much to consider keeping Vick out of footbal.

Candice Cartwright   May 20th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

In response to D.W. Wood. We are going to charge a parent for exercising her choice of treatment for her child by charging her with Murder 1 should the course of treatment fail. What kind of idiot are you? She didn't say she refused treatment, she just refused the treatment they were advising vs the type of treatment they would seek instead. Don't be blinded by issue which is the media, society and the majority of the medical community and in the case is the doctor who believes the child should have the chemo and radiation instead of natural healing alternatives. Who is to say one course of treatment is better than another. A parent has the right based on their child's needs, personality, wants and so forth to make that decision and no one else. Charged with murder. This woman has taken the measures she has because of the interference that is being interjected into her family's life. No one has that right. God forbid if doctor's were able to be charged with murder simply because their course of action was heart surgery and it failed due to whatever reasons on the table at the time. Can you imagine the courts case loads then. See what I mean....nosy people trying to decide they know what's best for someone they don't even know.

Shawn   May 20th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

chemo therapy is a very difficult treatment, one i hope i never have to go through. unfortunately it isnt a precise treatment. chemo works by targeting all cells undergoing replication in your body, healthy or cancerous. cancer cells divide and grow rapidly. its not a pinpoint treatment...its more like carpet bombing. it hits everything. That is why people get sick and have so many of those unpleasant side effects. it is the best the we have and by denying her son the best chance of survival she is at the least being negligent and abusive. any good parent should want to give there child the best chance for a long healthy and prosperous life. i think she is being selfish in her decision to run.

Eileen   May 20th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

Is the life of dogs more valuable than that of a human? Why did we not hold the professional hockey player who got drunk, and subsequently killed his teammate? Why were the standards different for him? Why was his action considered "an accident"? When you choose to drink and drive, are you not responsible for your irresponsibility? Why did he not pay the price for taking the life of a HUMAN?

Judith Love   May 20th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

As it concerns Michael Vick, the only thing he should be permitted to do for the rest of his unnatural life is to be chained to a tree on dirt with no food or water and then put in a ring naked with a gorilla to be "fought" for profit. NO SECOND CHANCES FOR ANIMALS WHO ARE SUBHUMAN!!! There is a God, Mr. Vick, and in your case I would be very afraid to meet Him!!

cathy wells   May 20th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

For the love of the animals.... the HSUS wanted to put the dogs down... now they are AGAIN wanting to be in the spotlight when they did not do ONE THING TO HELP THESE DOGS.... I would not let Vick or Wayne around any of my animals... FORGIVE YES,FORGET NEVER!!!! Best Friends Sanctuary should be on the show...they took care of the dogs... not the HSUS... i am in animal rescue and i know what the HSUS and PETA really stand for... maybe you ought to research that...

dgoodall   May 20th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

my only question is if mom is only into herbal healing is she also into only herbal and organic foods and cleaners? because i feel alot of the cancers are coming from cleaners and foods.

Carole   May 20th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

I understand dogfighting is a terrible thing because it hurts animals. I LOVE animals, and would never hurt them, however, where was wayne pacelle, and this guy tony when all the information came out on boys being molested by priests. (it's been going on for probably decades).NOt one person has been fighting for hurting and harming of young males in our society, but they will do it for dogs. And by the way Mr. Pacelle, white males have been for decades, and are still participating in dog fighting all over the country, but officials turn their heads the other way.
Carole

G.Dixon   May 20th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

Regarding Michael Vick: The acts this man perpetrated on animals is despicable. He has demonstrated how honorable he is. He should not be involved in professional sports. He sets the worst example of what decency is I've ever seen. He now wants forgiveness? Forgive yes, forget NEVER.

Jan Kershaw   May 20th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

Please do not give Michael Vick any more attention. He should fade into the background and not be given any NFL contracts or any endorsements. Hopefully he will devote his life to rescuing dogs (especially pit bulls) and otherwise serving man- and animal-kind.

Scott Winters   May 20th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

I was arrested for a stupid crime, I did 2 years in prison. Before I went in, I was making $100,000/yr. When I was released, the only job I could find was at a ski resort making minimum wage. I don't feel Michael Vick should be thrown millions of dollars just because of his name. If Michael Vick only knows football, I think he should play for minimum wage. That would teach him a big lesson. It surely taught me. To this day, I have recovered.....he needs to do the same.

Anthony   May 20th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Since it seems that most people would have Vick have to carry this on his shoulders for the rest of his life, why don't we apply the same rules to the Bush Administration and their use of torture? Isn't horse racing torture? How about the growing of animals for human consumption only? It is amazing how many people claim Christianity yet prove to be so unforgiving. If any of those who want to see Vick continually punished were to receive justice, then the same should apply to them for all the things that they have done. Mankind is cruel yet wants separate rules applied to themselves. They love the sin (boxing, UFC, horse racing, etc.) but hate the sinner.

Let is go America... Let it Go!

Bobbo   May 20th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Do not give in to Vic... What other choice did he have but to become an animal lover. We let everyone with money and fame get away with murder to often.. Make an example out of him for all to enjoy.

kimmie1920   May 20th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

I'm bothered by the fact that people are seeming to care more about some animals than they are about people!! What Michael Vick did was wrong, but he has paid for that mistake. How many young men make poor choices, but they are given second, third, and fourth chances? Can we not give him the same.

I am also really bothered by the fact that the guy from the HUMANE society, was more concerned about the dogs than he was about kids in the inner city, young black males, who are getting involved in the dog fighting. He called it disdainful that was happening to dogs. How about how distainful it is for kids to be involved in it, and how many kids in the inner city are dying because of life there.

Denise   May 20th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Michael Vick should NOT be allowed to return to the NFL. He should serve his community and wash floors in gyms, churches, auditoriums, etc to teach him a little humility.

apostle gary savage   May 20th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Larry King Live, I know your viewers that love dogs will not like this comment if it's allowed to be posted.

Comment, your guest mad a comment about dogs created by GOD, well that is not true. It can be true if ithe devil is the god she was talking about, because the GOD that created man and woman did not create any creatures that eat non flesh eating creatures.

Sherri   May 20th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

I asked my 13 year old son, how he felt about this. He expressed himself quite eloquently and reasoned that after weighing all the options. He felt it was a very personal decision between him and his family and that he hoped that we and the court would respect his right to choose. If a young girl can have an abortion for her right to choose, then why can't any young person, decide what they want or don't want done to their body. Both cases are involving someone's life and someone's death.

He does not know if he would have the chemo for himself personally or not as he has not been educated enough on the risks vs, the benefits.

Mel Snyder   May 20th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

The comments by Bob Catalano demonstrate what's so unfathomable about the "natural cures" people. Look at all the postings by those who have had, or their children have had, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma – or other cancers – and who are alive today because of the therapies Daniel needs. He has a political agenda – he's against the drug industry. His logic is amazing: "All senior citizens are sick. All senior citizens are on drugs. Put 2 and 2 together."

Indeed. We senior citizens (I'm 66) are not all sick. I do 4-5 miles on a treadmill almost every day. I run my own business, and work at least 10 hours a day. I also take three blood pressure medicines, an anti-cholesterol drug, aspirin and an anti-allergy drug every day. All are generics I pay for out of pocket without Medicare at Walmart. I have had a coronary stent and a pacemaker. Thanks to the miracles of the drug and device industries, I am looking forward to matching my parents who lived into their late 80s, thanks to those same miracles.

Those senior citizens who are on drugs – like me – are alive and healthy and productive. Those who push unproven or disproven ideas are the real menace – not the miracles of drugs and devices!

Judy Greenough   May 20th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

I'm saddened the mom resorted to this – the dictation from the court was devastating enough.

We have been taught to give our power away to doctors & drugs to "fix" everything, when the only way to heal the cause of any physical manifestation is for one to heal themselves. Everything else is just attempting to treat the sypmtoms. How do you prove "miracles" scientifically, yet people self-heal all kinds of things everyday, even things that some consider "incurable", like EB, autism & more.

To dictate that this boy, who we've been told has said he does not want more chemo, go thru more of it is frightening. Does an unborn fetus have more rights than a 13 year old and his parents????

As to chemo being the only answer, how often have you read that someone died from chemo? It's too easy to say the cancer got worse or came back, when in reality the chemo may have destroyed some key things, like say the liver.

Beyond hereditary predispositions for cancer that 92% of the population is walking around with, diagnosed or physically manifested or not, we're being exposed to man-made cancer imbalances, daily – energetic imbalances – and the recent "swine flu" is yet another man-made imbalance. The latter will be the last straw for some as their energetic immune systems are already so weak – and it has nothing to do with a pig.

Look around people – we're getting sicker, not healthier. People are manifesting cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc at younger and younger ages. Remember when cancer was an old person's disease? Stop separating the physical body from the energy, emotional and spiritual bodies – it's all one, and everything starts in the latter – physical manifestation and physical healing are the last things to occur.

I wish for Daniel what he chooses – it's his path, and I wish peace for his mother who while perhaps not wisely fleeing, is, I believe, following what her heart is telling her to do for her son. What a judgmental society we've become.

PJ   May 20th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

Stop treating Michael Vick like a pearson of privledge.
He is a dogfighting, animal killer that served "19" months, Wow what a bad rap for him and he has paid for his crime? What about all the lives he has ruined I don't think he will ever do enough time.
The NFL has lost my respect by sending Dungy to speak to him in prison and even thinking about letting him play in the NFL. He is a criminal and will always be. Do not give the chance to amass a fortune playing football so he can participate in more criminal activity.

rick   May 20th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

I believe that most felons in the real world are not even giving the chance or opportunity to return to their prior jobs after release from prison regardless of there prior position. Mr Vick needs to be introduced to the real world and has no reason to be rewarded with millions because he says he is reformed.

Melissa   May 20th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

I think the court should mandate that the child get chemo treatment. Furthermore, I believe that the mother should be arrested for kidnapping and avoiding the court. I do not think she should retain custody the child. I hope the FBI and law enforcement will find them.

Ann Robinson   May 20th, 2009 9:43 pm ET

Darrell Wayne:
If Michael Vick is to make restitution for his acts, the one thing he should NOT do is donate money to HSUS and other animal rights organizations. Despite its name, HSUS is NOT a "humane" or animal welfar organizaton. It is an ANIMAL RIGHTS organization - and it seems to be primarily promoting the right of domestic animals to be exterminated because they have been "degraded" by human contact.

Barbara Metzler   May 20th, 2009 9:43 pm ET

Hi, Larry,

My honest opinion is that trophy hunters who kill for the thrill should be punished just as Michael Vick was punished. All of them are guilty of animal cruelty.

Sharon   May 20th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

I don't condone what Michael Vick did. Even though he served his sentence, it will not end now that he is out of prison. He will live the rest of his life with this dark cloud hanging over his head. Dealing with this on a daily basis will be harder than returning to the NFL. I hope he is truly remorseful and I wish him the best in trying to pick up the pieces of his life and move on for his sake as well as his family's.

Lance   May 20th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Hello Larry, Michael Vick has served his time, been punished harshly for a terrible crime and paid his depth to society and should be given a fair chance like every other celebrity who got in trouble with the law in the past. He should be reinstated in the NFL.

ANGELICA   May 20th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Mr. King
The only reason why Vick appears contrite is because HE GOT CAUGHT!!!!! If he hadn't, these poor animals would still be tortured to this day just like thousands of others who remain under the radar. Shame on the Humane Society to believe that he is truly sorry, the only thing he cares about is the money that he lost and the attorney fees he had to pay. There is no redemption for somebody who abuses animals, just as those who abuse childen for they cannot defend themselves.

LuTina   May 20th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Kelli from Tampa makes a good point in the fact that those who torture animals have proven to be sociopaths. This fact should not be taken lightly. Why do you think there is so much attention given to children who torture animals? Simple question but for those who may not know the answer it is because they grow up to lack feelings and compassion. Making torture easy for them. Many serial killers have proven this to be true. Jeffery Dahmer ring a bell?

DDiane   May 20th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Regarding Vick I don't believe for one minute that he has changed.
The guy is a sadist. To watch dogs tear each other apart.
i find it really troubling when people are so quick to forget and forgive and feel sorry for a guy who no longer has a buck in his pocket. There are those who feel sorry for Vick and are only concerned about sports.Not once will they mention the torment
he put dogs through, for them he's done his time and forgiven.

If he made a sick choice by getting involved in dog fighting he
must pay the price. He had it all and now nothing. Too bad!!!
That's life for ya.

VJ   May 20th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

Dog Fighting was in existence way before Michael Vick was born, so he didn’t create it. If these people cared about Human Rights as much as they care about Animal Rights this world would be indeed a better place. They treated blacks way worse that this everyday. I don’t see anyone in this nation standing up and screaming. These same folks eat meat…Did they not realize that the animal was KILLED for them to eat meat….GIVE ME A ………..BREAK……..

Bailey Smith   May 20th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

As someone who has lost a brother to hodgkins lymphoma I both agree and disagree with the arguments against his mother. On the one hand I am a mother and I can not understand why any mother in their right mind would not want to give her child every fighting chance. On the other hand I watched my brother go through three bouts of chemo as well as a stem cell transplant all the while the doctors told us he was going to live to be 75, and of all the cancers to have this was the most treatable. The cancer was not treatable and after the third time my brother made the decision to stop all treatments. I can not say I would make the same decision but I can say I respected his right to refuse medical treatment. Whether or not there is some magical cure in carrots and mushrooms I'm not sure and whether or not I agree with their beliefs matters not. I think when we start telling people when and how to receive medical treatment our country is in trouble. Again I will not say I agree with his mother but I will say we are headed somewhere dark in this country. How about when it's you? When the government tells you how to be medically treated?

Lance Sabo   May 20th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

I am and have always been a dog lover. they have been a part of my family my entire life. I cannot imagine anything more horrific than dog fighting and ones ability to believe it to be a sport. I believe Michael Vick has the ability to demonstrate and help fight this terrible thing and if he truly has changed and I have heard that he has then he can make a difference. He deserves the chance to show how he has changed. Maybe he has...and maybe he has not but if you have a better way than to have someone such as him put his voice and money to fighting the abuse of animals then do it. Otherwise I say give him a chance.

martin   May 20th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

i work in sf.calf.on the embarkadero which is a tourist spot,there are horse drawn carriages these horses look as if the are about to die,i,dont see peta makeing a fuse about this.

VONM MASSEY   May 20th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

CONTACT ME @ 405-728-9655 OKLAHOMA CITY, RE;

"LEMON GRASS" NATURAL CURE CANCER MED.

Alan Hinden   May 20th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Chemo is poison. Nobody should be forced to take it.

My wife had breast cancer over six years ago & they wanted her to take chemo. We declined & opted for surgery & radiation with no ill effects.

SHE IS NOW CANCER – FREE FOR ALMOST 7 YEARS.

earlene davenport   May 20th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Larry it is absurd the way that everyone is so willing to kick a person when they are already down. Leave Michael Vicl alone and give him a chance at getting back to the game he loves. My god it seems as if no one remembers how they did wild things when they were young. I bet if the world knew the things that any individual did when they were young in college they would not have a career at all. Come on life is a learning experience and how else would you know what not to do if you don't make a few mistakes. I was convicted in 1997 for drug trafficking and I am now 52 years old and no matter what job experience I have I can not keep a job after they check my background.

How can you ask so much from people who are already under the gun will you not be satisfied until the man just gives up and kills himself. So stop already please let a person know they have the room in this country to change and yes I love animals but I don't believe in beating a person down because of a mistake. Put yourself in his place and ask yourself the question would you want everyone standing on your back when you are trying to get back on your feet after a mistake. I would certainly like to address this on your show and ask the audience why is it that no matter what you do after you have served your time, there are obstacles placed in your path to keep you down. If he were a white quarter back would this be such a gigantic issue, no he would get slapped on the hand instead of being made a example of how the hammer can be dropped to destroy your life.

Earlene Davenport

D.W. Wood   May 20th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

in response to Candice Cartwright's post.....the supreme court has continously help up that the parents do not have the right to choose "unproven" treatment over "proven" medical treatment. Its one thing to say the parents have the right to choose, its another to go against the law of the land. What kind of soceity would be if everyone picked and choose the laws we wanted to follow?

cathy wells   May 20th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

I am so glad that someone spoke the truth about the HSUS... they are an ANIMAL RIGHTS organization... and to bring Vick into their fold... well, what else would you expect from this 'fake organization"... I would like them to try and rescue,save and find forever homes for all the animals in my city with $47.00 in the bank..... Give Vick $600,000.00 for his documentary and then let him give it to the small rescue groups around the country trying to save animals not KILL THEM..

sean   May 20th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

PETA and the Humane Society have a function, but policing Michael Vick is not it.
I have no beef with dog fighters. They are animals. And yes, we are superior to animals. The hands are to be off Vick. He paid his bill and is now free of them. His crime was being in business with punks, not dog fighting.

Mesah Jones   May 20th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

Good Evening Larry and all,
I had a son that was diagnised with Glioblastoma (Incurable Brain Cancer) at the age of (14yrs.) and my family and I went everywhere to get him treatment, including trying Herbal Remedies. I ultimately choose for Brandon to go to St.Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis,TN. We were all aware of the characteristics of this deadly cancer.And Brandon lost his battle on March 11,2008. I am totally shooked and outraged that this mother would not try to do everything possible to save her child's life! Hodgkin's is pretty much curable if treated and not everyone expieriences the same side effects!! We have doctor's time ,energy,effort, and research in fighting CANCER!!

PEOPLE WE NEED TO GET HIP AND DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND STOP PLAYING WITH OUR CHILDREN'S LIFE!!
ST.JUDE THE JONES'S CHRISH THE WORK YOU DO FOR ALL CATASTROPHIC DISEASES!!!!!!

chris   May 20th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

i think its disgrceful how this country is going down the crapper our beliefs our wrights as parents day by day second by second are slowly being taken away by legal mombojumbo i hate what the world is coming to where are our freedoms we are told we have that judge is taken away our wrights as americans all the others ones like him too just widdleing away our wrights an commonsense is too just ten years ago you would be hearing all this stuff about im mad about it all and the tea party people so what if you dont agree withthem they shouldnt be made fun of and the news channels are becomeing nothing more than kindergeteners fighting it out about whos wright and whos wrong not just telling the news but putting them selfs in it becomeing the news its disgraceful

angela   May 20th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Michael Vick has NOT PAID, he can never pay. Who are all of you to decide he paid. These animals have feelings and nervous systems, they know what is going on, they feel the pain of having their flesh ripped open. They feel the pain of not being treated and left to suffer slowly. Shut up you morons unless you are the dog reincarnate, you dont know anything about who has paid. He cant pay, is he forgiven is the question. And the answer many feel is NO, not at this time.

Candice Cartwright   May 20th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

In response to D.W. Wood. Sir you are quite right in your statue of the law. However this parents choice of treatment has been proven over and over in several cases of treatment. Again the issue at hand is the majority of the medical community supports a chemical choice of treatment vs a holistic or natural course of treatment and for you to further state a parent should be charged with murder 1 if their choice of treatment failed is as crazy as people saying that a cow jumped over the moon. The government and the courts have no right to force a parent or any caregiver into a course of treatment. It simply isn't their place.

Tom Colvin   May 20th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Dear Larry and Larry King Live,
For the sake of MILLIONS of Americans suffering and dying from cancer, could you PLEASE interview Clifton Leaf? Here is a press release in 2004: "America is losing the war on cancer – and it is time to overhaul the battle plan, reports FORTUNE magazine in a groundbreaking special investigation. FORTUNE executive editor and Hodgkin's disease survivor Clifton Leaf reports that the percentage of Americans dying from cancer is about the same it was in 1970, and reveals systemic problems that are making cancer so difficult to defeat. If you have him on your show, I hope you create a firestorm in a skeptical country that is starting to believe that the medical industry wants a cure for cancer like the oil industry wants a cure for the gasoline engine.

Thank you!

Isaias Muñoz   May 20th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Hi Larry King:

I love your program, always tunes CNN at 20:00 ct, I love all the themes addressed, anyway about "Ugly Bety" we love that version in the US, you know the producer is the beauty of Salma she's from here veracruz.
And Vanessa she's so beuty I loved your work congradulations for participate in "Ugly Bety".

I'm 25 years old
Gretings from Orizaba, Ver. MX.

carl banks   May 20th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

Mr. King, I have been watching and dealing with the Mr. Vick situation and my thoughts are that abuse of any animal is bad. That is why I don't understand how all of these so call "animal rights' individuals have nothing to say about Ms. Palin's killing animals from a plan or the wrongs done to horses. It is clear that they were trying to make a statement with Mr. Vick, but it is time to get off of this story. He is not the only person that has done bad things to dogs (what is a wolf). Carl

John   May 20th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

Hi Larry,

I simply cringe at the hypocrisy displayed by my fellow Americans bashing Michael Vic for his involvement in dog fighting. Dog fighting, throughout America, has been an underground "sport" with millions of dollars wagered for many, many years. It is interesting to note that the dog fighting industry has been managed, controlled and promoted by a white man and his colleagues out of Louisiana who runs highly organized and efficient events throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia for many years. He make millions of dollars in breeding, raising, and keeping dogs specifically for the sport.

Dogs are vilely and cruelly killed on a regular basis. It is disgustingly nauseating to hear people like Wayne Pacelle make asinine statements that portray young African American teenagers and young men as the perpetrators of these crimes.

This subculture in our society is widespread throughout America including New York City where one can go to a selected apartment building and find a dog fighting event or cock fight anyday of the week in a rooftop or in a basement. It is extremely important that the American people look at this for what it truly is....an element of our subculture.

Eva   May 20th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

Unbelievable!!! The boy looked old enough to me to say to mom, "Mom, I can't take it!" As a loving mother she may have looked at her son and felt so much pain for him that she agreed with his wishes in order to not see him hurting. Why don't people try to think what was the boy feeling? What was mom feeling when he cried how much it hurt to have chemo? Is she wrong? I think it's between honoring her son's wishes, not watching him hurt because it's killing her, and God's will. If it's not his time he isn't going anywhere!!! I hope he lives and I also hope the mom doesn't get charged until the entire story is heard and whomever is listening, listens with an open mind and heart. God Bless Them!

Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada   May 20th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

Larry why is it that only Americans are allowed access to get a free signed copy of your book. I went to your site and tried to submit a question and to my dismay only Americans can submit. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed.

Jeff W. Thierry   May 20th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

Why is there still a double standard for blacks in America? Sarah Palin shoot a wolf on national TV and gets to run on a presidential ticket, Micheal goes to jail, what is the difference in dogs suffering at a fight as oppose to being shot in the head, chicken being killed for food cows, pigs. why is the pain of deaf different than the aminal in Micheal Case. Yet to top that, a story runs regarding the second chance the dogs are getting, but Micheal second chance in question. Are people that cruel they value a aminal life before a human when its is convience. That is a shame. Maybe the worng people or going to jail or not receiving the mental help they need. Think about it .

Dodie ~ California   May 20th, 2009 10:19 pm ET

MN Mom

Very good article. The part about the "Native American's belief" I can't say for other tribes, but I am 1/2 Miwok and I do not know of anyone in the tribe that would NOT take chemo if their doctors' advised it. We may also take herbs to help us with the chemo and to help increase our immune system, but we would do the standard Western treatment.

I

Tom Colvin   May 20th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

Dear Larry and Larry King Live,
For the sake of MILLIONS of Americans suffering and dying from cancer, could you PLEASE interview Clifton Leaf? Here is a press release in 2004: “America is losing the war on cancer – and it is time to overhaul the battle plan, reports FORTUNE magazine in a groundbreaking special investigation. FORTUNE executive editor and Hodgkin’s disease survivor Clifton Leaf reports that the percentage of Americans dying from cancer is about the same it was in 1970, and reveals systemic problems that are making cancer so difficult to defeat..."

Thank you!

Tom Colvin   May 20th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

Dear Larry and Larry King Live,

Thank you!

Dodie ~ California   May 20th, 2009 11:22 pm ET

I checked with the BIA and this band, the Nemenhah is NOT federally recognized, as Native American blood. There are still some bands or small tribes that are still working on recognition. So this band could be one of two. (1) it is a Native American blood tribe, just not yet recognized by the Federal Government or (2) it is a fake. Just called Native American and possibly some people who are members are Native Americans and many are not. The BIA has strict guidelines.

T -delaware   May 21st, 2009 12:20 am ET

Am I the only who noticed that the sheriff seemed drunk, disoriented and not with it. Wow. He should not be discussing this case because he is obviously not with it tonight. I think the mother is wrong, however who are we to judge. I would not go this route because my children life is too precious for me to play with.

Eileen Dannemannn   May 21st, 2009 12:20 am ET

From: The Director of the National Coalition of Organized Women
Freedom of conscience is one of the founding principles of our democracy. With it goes the principle that a person in the minority has the right to dissent from the views of the majority; and the principle that the minority must be defended in its right to dissent.
Over the 200 plus years that we have lived under our Constitution we’ve seen many arguments based on “utility” raised in an effort to undermine these principles. And certainly the greatest threat we have faced is in the times of war. Yet we have always upheld the right of individuals to be conscientious objectors and to refuse military service on grounds of conscience.
World War II brought deaths in epidemic proportions, 30 million killed in the world and over a 150,000 Americans killed in battle, and yet we, the sovereign people, upheld the right of conscientious objection.
Adults have the right to refuse immunizations, medicine, and examinations on medical or religious grounds but their children do not have the same right. In other words… we can go ahead and treat children differently than their parents.
Children are citizens, too. They enjoy the same Constitutional rights as anyone else of any age. Children and their parents are inherently and inextricably bound together cellularly and soulfully, via an indisputable, inviolable, orderly process of creation that is ever so organic and evolutionary. If children can’t make decisions for themselves, then parents are the logical default, not the state. We are on very dangerous grounds when the State tries to protect children from the beliefs of their parents”
I would be saddened to hear of a child dying because of not following the standard of care american medical protocol, but there is only so far the State can go in trying to prevent risk. The Constitution tells us very clearly that we have to draw the line. Democracy is inherently a risky business. But one thing is very clear…we will not tolerate risk to our fundamental Constitutional principles. And freedom of conscience, freedom to dissent, and freedom to protect the minority from tyranny by the majority are at the core of our Constitutional faith”.
Do no harm: The Judge, ignorant of metaphysical matters, opted to abrade the parent/child love bond in favor of a mass hypnotic concept of what is thought best for society...a vacuous structure void of intimacy, compassion and understanding.
That one must "live" under all circumstances, dictated by a government and collective society, severing the parent/child relationship, is a "concept" unfortunately fostered only by those ignorant of the deeper laws of nature and of God. What is virtuous, joyful or purposeful about a loveless, mechanical life?
A loving bond has been ruptured here! I only hope that Danny, who awakens us to the stealth emergence of a totalitarian state, can sense even beyond the profundity of parental love to the Supreme Intelligence of an absolute unity, the essential creative force that has correlated, for the sake of all humanity, the necessity of this outcome.
It may have been foolish of the founding fathers not to have listened to Dr. Benjamin Rush, M.D, one of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence and been more precise when it came to sovereignty of personhood: "Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize an undercover dictatorship. To restrict the art of healing to one class of men, and deny equal privilege to others, will be to constitute the Bastille of medical science. All such laws are un-american and despotic, and have no place in a Republic. The Constitution of this Republic should make special privilege for medical freedom as well as religious freedom." abridged quote –Benjamin Rush, M.D., a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Eileen Dannemann
181 Swamp Road
East Hampton, New York 11937

Terry Madaus   May 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

With a 90% VS. 5% survival rate, the choice seems very simple to me. If this mother really loves her son, the choice is very clear. If the kid doesn't get treatment and (God forbid) he dies, she will regret her decision for the rest of her life (and rightly so).

Will   May 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

I believe they should get back asap. Goto court, and for the boy if he can be credible should be able to make his own decision unless the judge appoints differently, but i do believe running from the problem will make it worsde on family and the boy can possibly get worse or possibly lose his life over running from his problem. I will be praying for the family, and for the treatment to be followed through.

Evelyn   May 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

I don't believe the courts should be involved at all. Chemo is only one alternative treatment and the more I learn about it the less I like it. There are treatments available in other countries that have proven to be effective and less toxic and if we really believe in choice we should leave this family alone. I find it interesting that the public can get so upset about lack of choice in doctors but not treatment.

Mrs. Eva Lehman   May 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Sould this boy be my child, I would encourage him to seek treatment. However, it is HIS body and therefor his choice. If this young man were a girl dealing with reproductive rights, NO ONE would have any say in the decision. If girls of this age are grown up enough to make such choices, why is this boy not?

Nevine   May 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

This country was based on freedom, and now its being taken away. This family should have the right and freedom to make a decision with their son on what kind of treatment he should take. Enough is enough. Government is interfering in every aspect of our lives and family affairs.

Lisa   May 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

You've heard the joke of the religious guy with a house downstream of a dam. People always ask him if he's worried about the dam breaking, he says 'if it does, God will save me'.
So one night its raining and the cops come and tell him, 'hey, the dam's gonna break, you have to evacuate'–and the guy says 'no, God will save me' and stays in the house.
So then the dam breaks and the guy is on his roof with water all around and a helicopter comes to take him off the roof and the guy says 'no, God will save me' and stays on the house.
So then the house sinks and he starts floating down the river and the rescue guys on rescue boats come to take him out of the river and the guy says 'no, God will save me.'
So then the guy drowns and he gets to heaven and he says, 'God, you didn't save me!'
And God says, 'What do you mean? I tried three times!'

That mother is a delusional fruitcake. She thinks she's following 'God's will' when she's fleeing from it.

Sherry E   May 21st, 2009 12:25 am ET

I feel that everyone should stay out of this. The decision about this child's care should come from the patient and his family. Why should there be just one way to treat a patient. I think the government and health care advocates need to let patients and their families decide on what treatment to follow. In my opinion, their rights are being violated.

Jacqueline   May 21st, 2009 12:26 am ET

Medicine has tried to become too powerful to rule over people's choice for health. Failure to mention the long term side effects are neglectful of the medical community. I am a nurse, and I see and hear the ill effects of Western medical treatment every day. There are alternative methods much more effective than Western medicine, without long term side effects. Let individuals make their own choices.

Robert Chumley   May 21st, 2009 12:29 am ET

They are willing to charge the mother if he doesn't get treatment and he dies. If he gets the treatment and he dies anyway will the doctor be charged for murder? The doctor is believing in chemo to heal him and she is believing in God to heal him. The Bible plainly says the grass is for cattle and the herbs are for man. This is what he meant. God created this earth and placed us in it, will He not provide what we need to take care of us? We are talking about a society that will kill babies and allow injections for "self suicide" but won't allow a mother to do what she feels is best for her child.

Debra R.   May 21st, 2009 12:30 am ET

Question: Why is cancer the only disease that doctors go after parents for not complying with their recommended treatment? Why not come after me if I don't treat my kid for staph infection? Or diabetes? Maybe it's because oncologists are the only docs who get to sell drugs directly to their patients (and pocket the profit). If my kid gets a staph infection, the doc writes a prescription and never knows if I fill it. If He prescribes chemo, chances are he owns the drip clinic where I would go and he is directly profiting from my use of his chemo drugs. Oncologists are the only class of docs who are allowed to profit from the drugs they prescribe. Check it out.

George Tehaan   May 21st, 2009 12:35 am ET

Hi,

Concerning Michael Vick, I am a longtime fan of the Washington Redskins. If the Redskins ever signed Vick they would lose me as a fan.

Sherry E   May 21st, 2009 12:36 am ET

I believe the mother has every right to seek alternative therapies. It is their business! The traditional health care industry and FDA have too much influence in this and laws need to be changed. It is getting ridicuous. We are fastly becoming a country similar to communism. Government controlling everything.

michael sacheck   May 21st, 2009 12:37 am ET

Hi Larry, Back in 1980 I was dignosed with the same cancer this little boy has. Back then there was no good treatment for this cancer.I under went radical new experimental treatment.This saved my life and paved the way for the next generation. I know that without this treatment i be dead right now. I feel that there is no god that would let a child die. This boy has so much life aheaded of him with proper treatment.

Lemonte Kinng   May 21st, 2009 12:40 am ET

They should give Vick another chance, everything was taken away from him, at this point he has nothing, he did his time, surely he's learned, people act like he was a bad person before this. Martha Stewart came back into the pubic eye without skipping a beat.. They loved Vick once, and they'll love him again...

Roni Andrews   May 21st, 2009 12:41 am ET

CNN is my news source of choice.

I am deeply disturbed that CNN and Larry King allowed HSUS airtime, as well as a positive mention of PETA. HSUS and PETA, along with other animal rights groups are working to eliminate pets animals, all animal farming and all hunting.

Their common goal is the end of domestic animals.

These groups misrepresent their purpose, raise millions of dollars from innocent animal lovers and misrepresent their intentions.

For example, PETA regularly destroys pet animals is reputedly rescues, while HSUS states it is caring for animals with its enormous treasury, and yet does not operate a single animal care or adoption factility. The HSUS assisted "rescue" of Vic's dogs resulted in Wayne Pacelle ordering the dogs destroyed.

Please stop playing into the hands of these organizations. If you wish to speak with people who are truly working towards animal welfare contact the National Animal Interest Alliance and the American Kennel Club Legislation Department.

Jennifer Whitus   May 21st, 2009 12:46 am ET

This is for everyone on this board that is defending a poor excuse of a person named Michael Vick. What he did to those poor dogs is horrendous. It breaks my heart to see the pain in those poor dogs eyes still. I don't care if he can throw/run with a ball, he should not be allowed to play in the NFL. He is overrated as a quaterback as well as a person. He deserves NOTHING!

margaret owen   May 21st, 2009 12:49 am ET

micael vick did not steal a car or rob a bank, he tortured animals for fun. he should never be allowed to have or be around an anmimal. let him play ball, but he is no roll model

Suzanne Sims   May 21st, 2009 12:50 am ET

Larry,
1st Admend -Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance.

How old must one be in this Nation to stand up to self beliefs? This child and adult, by their beliefs, are refusing treatment. They chose God over Chemotherapy.

We do not have to believe in the path they chose to way – we should only respect it.

If, by law we over turn Religion for Medicine and Medicine saves his life – will he feel he betrayed God – How should we ask him to live with a forced betrayal and what freedoms will be lost next?
This is not about a Childs life but about his soul – it is about a Families belief in God and worshipping that God.

And here we are trying to settle the Palestinian – Israel conflict.

Nancy   May 21st, 2009 12:51 am ET

The body is not the only part of the equation, re: the boy with cancer who does not want radiation and chemo. I wouldn't choose that route either–its toxic and painful with terrible side effects. If he does not BELIEVE it will help him, it probably will not because the mind is very powerful–ask Deepok Chopra about this. People who choose this modality are more often than not, believers in whatever their doctors tell them and not familiar with other alternative methods–which have been around for thousands of years, while alopathic medicine is relatively modern, maybe 100 years. The boy should not be forced to do something he believes will hurt him. His belief system will prevail!

Heather Garrison   May 21st, 2009 12:51 am ET

I work in the healthcare field myself. But more importantly, I am a mother of four beautiful children, ages 14, 13, and 12 year old twins. I truly believe that the mother of this child is taking her "beliefs" to an extreme level. I would do any and everything I could to save my child's life! That is my job as a mother.

Lymphoma, of all the cancers, is very responsive to treatment and has a high success rate for cure. I know that side effects chemo and/or radiation can be harsh, but those can also be treated. Denying her child treatment is going to be the death of him ... literally. To me, not allowing him the opportunity to live by refusing treatment, is no more than negligence on this mother's part.

Our first responsibility as parents is to protect our children and look out for their best interest. This mother is not doing this. Knowing that the cancer responded so well to the initial round of treatment should tell this boy's mother that he has a chance of survival and can live a long, healthy life. That in itself should be enough for her, and she should welcome this for her child.

I do believe that every person of age has the right to refuse medical treatment if they choose. However, in this case, being a minor child, this mother has a duty to provide medical care and treatment for her child. If she cannot do this, then someone has to speak for him, before it is too late. I commend the court for acting as his advocate when his own mother won't. It is really sad and disheartening that his mother does not feel like he deserves a chance to live.

Seriously .... to this child's mother : do what you are supposed to do as a mother. Love your child and protect him. Give him an opportunity to live and have a full life. He deserves that chance and he is worth it!! Get off your soapbox ... this is not about you!

WILLIE EDWARD TURNIPSEED SR.   May 21st, 2009 1:00 am ET

when it comes to people like me there is no such thing as second chances. i recently learned that i have four felonies listed on my criminal background. i was only aware of one, and no-one will give me a job. so even though i hate to admit it, what is good for me is good for him!

annlee   May 21st, 2009 1:05 am ET

Human Rights are more important than dog rights any day of the week. Humane society kill dogs if not adopted–please.

You mean to tell me that Michael Vicks is the first and only person that has been arrested and served prison time ( ridiculous time), dog fighting ever–really now.

Dog fighting is the least of my worry in any community, the killing of our children in urban communities is my outrage and not a D O G!

Bill Sanders   May 21st, 2009 1:08 am ET

I'm sorry sir, to undermind a parents decision,and then to mandate their son, to accept medical treatments for his cancer, that in their's and as well as my own opinion, that is not beneficial, is too much to comprehend. I first hand, have experienced a loved one, my sister, fight non-hodgens lyphoma. All chemo & radiation did for her,after 3 years, was to destroy her immune system to the point that her doctors, gave her 2 weeks to live, here's your hospice pamplet, and I'm so sorry. I would not accept that, and sought out alternative treatments for her in the Bahamas, and at the same cancer Klinik as Farrah Faucett, in Gernany. We were there at the same time as Farrah, and both of us understand the advancements of Cancer Treatments, ONLY available in foreign countries, Even your own Dr. Gupta, is not willing, as every other American Medical Official, to admit or recognize the benefits and alternatives for cancer treatment.. You want a book, or if you were able to read between the lines of Farrah's recent documentary, I can provide that.... My sister & Farrah would still be alive today, if we did not have to entrust and endure our American attitude of Cancer Treatment. It is truley sad, that this country has just now started to understand, how far behind we have become in the world, in research & treatment of major illnesses and diseases.

Manualynn Faison   May 21st, 2009 1:15 am ET

Are you prepared to meet your Maker? Can you answer the question:
Have you don...don...don what I have told you to do?

Heather Garrison   May 21st, 2009 1:24 am ET

And concerning the comment on oncologists being the only doctors who profit from prescribing their drugs ... if any sick, frail, weak person could start an IV and administer these drugs themselves in a safe setting with the medical equipment readily on hand in case of emergency, then that statement might be different. That is why these doctors do what they do, and that is why there are infusion clinics and facilities that provide this service. Furthermore, while this mother is concerned about the "side effects" of the treatment, how will she handle this child's future, when he suffers from a painful death. Will she provide any "comfort" treatment for him?? Or is that against her beliefs as well?? The sad thing is, this boy's mother is letting him die. As a Christian, I do not believe treatments for this disease would exist, if God had not wanted them to; He is giving this child a chance to live. Why won't his mother take that chance?

Eva   May 21st, 2009 2:56 am ET

I have read more comments since I posted earlier and yes it is OUR choice on our health care and we as humans will and will not accept. I have made it clear to my family and friends–NO chemo, NO radiation!!! I'm facing a situation now and it's not bad yet, but if one day I'm told I have 6 months left to the best of the Drs. ability to predict, I'm not going to suffer those last 6 months sick to my stomach, loosing my hair, not able to eat, visit my favorite places, etc. HELLO it's everybody's choice on how to treat their body never the governments Since when does the Government have the right to interfere in our health decisions? Also too many people are close minded that Western medicine is the only way. NO it's not!!! I pray with all my heart the boy lives a very long life and that the mother never ever gets charged in this case unless the boy said YES I WANT chemo and she choose not to do it and take him away. Otherwise where is the crime?

Cher   May 21st, 2009 3:15 am ET

Chemo therapy cannot be proved as 100% affective and should never be left up to a judge's decision.

Mary Moschatos-Baker   May 21st, 2009 6:04 am ET

I enjoyed your interview with V. Williams. She is beautiful. I hope you got my last comment, but here goes again. Do you regret not being able to interview Pope John Paul11 and Mother Teresa?? Love Mary Moschatos-Baker. Acropolis, 105, Rhodes Island, Greece. P. O. BOX 304.

Bob   May 21st, 2009 7:08 am ET

It's time to stop the medical drug pushers. Also the politicians and judges who should be in jail rather than in office. If anyone comes around here with needle or pills in hand and attempts to force his or her products on anyone in this household, it would not be a pleasant scene. The medical industry has grown too rich and powerful and should be stopped. After 100 years of cancer research without finding a cure, they should be hiding their heads in shame.

Sarah   May 21st, 2009 8:37 am ET

I am a 13 year survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma (diagnosed at 19 and had 1year of chemo) and although there were many side effects from the chemo is was extremely effective in treating my cancer right from the beginning (stage III A). Hodgkins is extemely curable. As my doctor put it, if your going to get cancer this is the one to get because it has the highest cure rate and longest survival rate of any cancer.

That being said, I believe that the court's only job here is to determine whether or not this boy truly has a full understanding of the disease and the prognosis with and without treatment. He is of an age that if the time is taken to present him with the information he should be able to make an educated decision on his own. If he then chooses not to go through with treatment then so be it. I would feel differently if he were a very young child, say a 5 year old, who would not be able to understand this even if explained to him. In that case I believe the court should compell the parents to get treatment. However, this boy is old enough to make decisions with proper information.

Pedro   May 21st, 2009 1:06 pm ET

Larry I am a big fan of your show and have watched for severalo years. Not long ago you had entertainer Danny Gans on your show and I became an instant fan of his. I was extremely saddened by his sudden death. Can you or do you have any information as to the cause of his sudden death? Please rerun the interview with him and if you can please let me know what happened to this extremely talented superstar who's life was ended so suddenly. Thank you.

Peter in GA.

B.S.   May 21st, 2009 1:48 pm ET

I had lymphoma and am cancer free. I took Cantron for two months, for less than $200.00. My friends that listened to their doctors and took Chemo are now dead, D-E-A-D, dead. And their insurance companys spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on them. Cancer is a money making business, and there will never be a cure for it available to the public, because it will put too many influential people out of business. Chemo is not approved by the FDA, yet doctors can use it. Cantron is not approved by the FDA, yet if a doctor uses it he will lose his licence.

Darien   May 21st, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Would people have the same reaction if the boy had just run away and the mother was not involved? Perhaps it would be more acceptable if he had found people outside his family to help him. Then it would have been hundreds of people instead of just one. Would we put everyone on trial who thinks he should run away and helped him do it?

It does not matter what your personal experience is because it is not the same for every patient. Stop being so judgmental because no one but those involved know what is really going on.

My opinion is that every individual should make medical decisions for themselves.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter