CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 18, 2009

Bernie Will Be Prison Royalty

Posted: 11:48 PM ET

by Mansfield Frazier

art.madoffFederal rules require that Madoff live out his sentence in a maximum-security prison—but he'll have a lot working in his favor: he's elderly, he's a criminal father figure, and he stole from the rich. Here’s what he can expect when they throw away the key.

Bernie Madoff is going to jail for the rest of his life. But when he was first turned in by his sons in December, a number of my acquaintances who work in the criminal justice arena noted that, despite the enormity of the charges, he was not paraded in front of TV cameras with his hands cuffed behind his back.

Circumventing the humiliation of the perp walk was probably negotiated with the Feds well in advance of his surrender, and his ability to do this highlights the easier ride that virtually all white-collar criminals enjoy in the justice system. But Madoff will have additional advantages working for him even if he doesn't go to "Club Fed." American prisons are home to a counterintuitive subculture, one where certain traits that would normally be a strike against you can actually work in your favor.

(Read More)

Filed under: Bernard Madoff • Crime • Larry King Live

A. K. Mahida   May 19th, 2009 12:09 am ET

Mr. Larry King:- I really admire your most successful programme.

Your skills to handle today's complex isuues with your guest is really
phenomenon.After having heart surgery , how do you feel.I did have my heart surgery 5 year ago, however i am not able to bear any stress. How you do it, i do not know.

May GOD ALMIGHTY bless you with good health and happiness today and always.

Please keep up the good work.
A.K. Mahida ( AMIRBHAI K.MAHIDA)

jackie johnson   May 19th, 2009 12:41 am ET

I own a hospice and am having suc'h a difficult time listenting to doctors say that they cannot be honest with their patients about 6 months or less. Americans are in denial that we live and we die. After all it isn't death that people fear it is fear of the unknown. If doctors could be honest with people and get them help like hospice early on in the disease then a lot of these fears can be discussed. Education about the disease process is key and vital for everyone involved family and patient. Denial can be detrimental to everyone involved. Death may happen regardless would we like it to be planned and celebrated instead of dreaded and painful. America needs to wake up and start talking about death and dying.

Sarah "Not my real name"   May 19th, 2009 12:55 am ET

Hi Larry,
Can you please see to it that, Farrah Fawcett get these scriptures this is from the Bible, these scriptures talks about healing,
(ISAIAH CHAPTER 53 Verse 5 ) IT SAYS HE MEANS (JESUS CHRIST )was wounded for transgressions and by his stripes we are healed.

(1st PETER 2 VERSES 24) WHO HIMSELF (JESUS CHRIST) BORE OUR SINS IN HIS OWN BODY, AND BY WHOSE STRIPES YOU ARE HEALED.

(PSALMS 118 VERSES 17) I shall not DIE, but LIVE and declare the works of the LORD.
Larry, please I beg of you get this to her ASAP, what man gives over, with JESUS nothing is impossible. I watched her tonight and it breaks my heart to see her like this.

Jesus bless
Sarah

Desi   May 19th, 2009 1:14 am ET

I cannot wait 24 hours to see this interview of yourself & I will run out tomorrow and buy the book if I can find it in this 'podunk' town that I love and live in!

Sheridan Meek   May 19th, 2009 1:16 am ET

I am writing from Houston and have seen part of "Farrah's Story". And, just wish there was a way to contact you, Larry King, or have someone contact me concerning a natural product used by a neuropathic doctor here in Texas that is wonderful in cleansing the liver and body of toxic elements. It is something that my son has used.

And, people suffering from Hepatitis C have seen good/incredible results using this product. Hepatitis C is caused by a virus as is the papilloma virus that causes anal cancer.

Who knows, this might just be something good for Farrah, and it certainly could not harm her. Just 3 harmless ingredients from plants.

Have never met Farrah, but have known some people who knew her at the University of Texas. I, myself, graduated from Southern Methodist in Dallas. Did sit by Jacquelyn Smith on a flight from North Carolina back to Houston several years ago. Only connection to Alana Stewart would be that my first cousin traveled with Rod Stewart conducting his orchestra on one of Rod's world tours.

Hope someone connected to Larry King Live will read this. This information in the right hands just might help..

I don't believe in coincidences, and I just happened to be channel surfing and caught the show tonight, 5/18. Plus, I only found out about this product 2 weeks ago.

Dave of Detroit   May 19th, 2009 7:16 am ET

I give Bernie a week and he will be running the best cigarette and needed items store that the prison has ever seen! I really recommend that everyone read O'Henry's "The Man Higher Up" story-covers Bernie beautifully!

Dave of Detroit   May 19th, 2009 7:31 am ET

The comments on Death and Dying remind me of Kathryn Kubler Ross's Book on the subject. It is a source of real concern to me as a person needs counsel with a Priest or Minister and our society is so secular and atheistic that it is no longer "acceptable" to be honest with people that are dying or even think that it would be a good idea to have a minister or priest presenr. It is pretty bad when the series"24"has a muslim come in to minister to Jack Bauer! I am curious about the Supreme Court Justices-Does Seperation of Church and State include those dying and in hospices-Good thing the government doen't run the hospices-no prayer would be allowed. Kind of like the ACLU trying to stop our men and women in the military from praying saying they are trying to start a religion and they are Federal Employees-the response from the commander to the ACLU was a bit caustic but to the point!

Michael C. McHugh   May 19th, 2009 8:19 am ET

It's a safe bet that Madoff still has plenty of money stashed somewhere. He wouldn't be a con artist worth his salt if he didn't, although naturally like all con artists he will claim to be insolvent. My guess is that he will have enough money to get whatever he needs every day in prison and not be traded around for two packs of cigarettes or anything like that.

SLM   May 19th, 2009 11:57 am ET

He didn't just steal from the RICH, he stole from hard working people who were saving and planning for their retirment. Why is there always resentment if someone has a little bit of money they want to keep for themselves? Isn't this why we work?

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter