CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 4, 2009

Monday: Barbara Walters, Madeleine McCann and Bob Greene

Posted: 05:25 PM ET

Tonight, Larry welcomes Barbara Walters! She's seen it all in her incredible career, from being one of the first female broadcasters, to the ringleader of "The View." Hear what she has to say about her fiery co-stars and about what she'd like to do AFTER "The View."

Plus, an update on the missing child seen around the world: Madeleine McCann.  It's been two years since she disappeared.  A family insider brings Larry the latest.

Also tonight, Kathy Ireland and Oprah’s trainer Bob Greene! What do they think about Kirstie Alley’s public struggle to keep the pounds off?

Please:

1) Stay on topic.
2) Keep it short
3) No curse words
4) No links
5) Use a name (no initials or screen names)

Filed under: Larry King Live

Sue from Ct.   May 4th, 2009 6:06 pm ET

I saw the show the other night with Joy Behar while you were in Las Vegas. I wanted to tell you how sorry I was about the loss of your good friend Danny Gans. What a shock and shame, a wonderful talented human being cut short in his prime. I had the pleasure of seeing Danny many times when I would be in Vegas and believe me it never got old! God Bless the entire family of Danny Gans as well as the millions of friends and fans. Danny will never be replaced at least in our time.

M. L. Schrenger   May 4th, 2009 6:22 pm ET

I think it is sad that our society so harshly judges people by their physical appearance and says such cruel things about people who are overweight – especially women. If Kirstie Alley has gained weight that is her business and if other people don't like it, tough luck! Whatever happened to treat other people the way you want to be treated?

Joe   May 4th, 2009 6:22 pm ET

Shedding pounds from the body is not a physical struggle, rather it is emotional in nature. When one is willing to let go of collective emotional experience a transformation occurs in the physical reality of the human body. Ms. Alley, Oprah, and so many others are using food to satisfy an emotional compulsion, and emptying the compulsion and obsession means transformation physically and psychologically.
Good Luck!
Joe

Barbara Roney   May 4th, 2009 6:31 pm ET

Kirstie Alley doesn't need to apologize to anyone for her weight gain. She hasn't done anything wrong. Anyone who has a weight problem and has dieted knows how difficult it is to keep weight off after dieting. No matter what diet or program is followed people can't always keep the pounds off. Hold your head up Kirstie. Try the program again if you feel it would help, but don't feel like you let anyone down. Take care of yourself the best you can and whatever you decide to do, do it for yourself. Not for your family, friends or fans.

Good luck,
Barbara Roney

Paul   May 4th, 2009 8:16 pm ET

Why would anyone take weight loss advice from Bob Greene when his star client of MANY years is extremely overweight AGAIN?

annie   May 4th, 2009 8:35 pm ET

maybe he will mention his star client & friend & neighbor this evening...hope so...

helena   May 4th, 2009 8:38 pm ET

B Walters was born in 1931, Larry..no biological children but a wonderful adopted daughter..but no grandchildren..sad..but whose life is perfect ?..3 marriages ? & a few affairs ?..

Lyn from NC   May 4th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

We should be thankful we have Barbara Walters. She has led the way for so many women, not just the ones in broadcasting. She is a true lady......fair but firm, direct but polite, and she always asks the questions we all want to know the answers to. Keep it up, Barbara!!!! I think you are one of the most facinating 10 people I'd like to meet!!!

Lyn from NC   May 4th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

PS...I can't wait to read your book, Barbara!!!

Dodie ~ Irvine California   May 4th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Regarding Patrick Swayze – Please let him know that Chinese medicine has a lot to offer also. They work on your immune system to ultimately have your body fight the cancer.

Dodie ~ Irvine California   May 4th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Oh Good Grief.. Rush is clueless...

norma   May 4th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

I can't believe I just saw Barbara Walters diss Meredith Viera (all so subtlely). M.V. wasn't "feisty" on The View during her tenure. PLEASE.
MV was the first to get "saucy" and wrestle with guests.
Shame, Barbara, Shame.

norma   May 4th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

MV was the first to get "saucy" and wrestle with guests.
Shame, Barbara.

Dodie ~ Irvine California   May 4th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

The reason Ms. America Pageant comments received attention is because of her reaction by not winning.

Sheryl   May 4th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

Jonathan Whynock will be performing "Caylee's Song" on Larry King LIVE May 13, 2009, he will also be performing at a vigil in Somersworth, NH to help bring home missing children, donating his time and talent for a good cause. The vigil is free and will take place on May 17, 2009.

Dan Nelson   May 4th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Larry how are you? Could you ask these five talk show women if they think or believe that homosexual relationships that GOD/JESUS had called an abomination is a sin(and the bible IS God's word inspired by Him and He does not change and DID give His life for our redemption)? Please let them know that Jesus had talked about these times and that this abomination would be set up in the last days where it should not be, the first nation bound by Christian values, yes the United States of America that has become a very sinful nation that the true Christians that has walked away from their sins and will rise in spirit to their destiny in GOD/ JESUS' spirit yes the HOLY SPIRIT!

Diana   May 4th, 2009 9:30 pm ET

I happen to be attending the World Service Business Conference of Overeaters Anonymous this week, May 4-9 in Albuquerque, NM.

Although only Kirstie and Oprah can determine this for themselves, like millions of others, they may find that the weight is only a symptom of a disease, called Compulsive Overeating.

In the same way that the alcoholic does not respond normally to alcohol, many people who experience the same kind of "food and weight loss and gain roller coaster" that both Kirstie and Oprah have, find help and recovery in the 12 Step fellowship called Overeaters Anonymous. I, like thousands of others, am one.

There are no dues or fees. The recovery is Physical, Emotional and Spiritual.

Are You a Compulsive Eater?
Here Are 15 Questions So You Can Decide!

This series of questions may help you determine if you are a compulsive overeater. Many members of Overeaters Anonymous have found that they have answered yes to many of these questions.

1. Do you eat when you're not hungry?
2. Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason?
3. Do you have feeling of guilt and remorse after overeating?
4. Do you give too much time and thought to food?
5. Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone?
6. Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time?
7. Do you eat sensibly before others and make up for it alone?
8. Is your weight effecting the way you live your life?
9. Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer), only to fall short of your goal?
10. Do you resent others telling you to "use a little willpower" to stop overeating?
11. Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet "on your own" whenever you wish?
12. Do you crave to eat at a definite time, day or night, other than mealtime?
13. Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble?
14. Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition?
15. Does your eating behavior make you or others unhappy?

Have you answered yes to three or more of these questions? If so, it is probable that you have or are well on your way to having a compulsive overeating problem. We have found that the way to arrest this progressive disease is to practice the Twelve-Step recovery program of Overeaters Anonymous.

Is OA For You?
Only you can decide that question...no one else can make this decision for you. We who are now in OA have found a way of life which enables us to live without the need for excess food. We believe that compulsive overeating is a progressive illness...one that, like alcoholism and some other illnesses, can be arrested.

Remember, there is no shame in admitting you have a problem; the most important thing is to do something about it.

david   May 4th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Would Barbara Walters think Miss USA's anti-gay political beliefs are not germaine if she expressed anti-semitic or racist views instead?

Brenda   May 4th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

ask barbera if she has a problem with shyness

Gary   May 4th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Barbara, you are wrong about the Miss California quote. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Here is the first part of the quote: “I think it's great Americans are able to choose one way or another. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage." Anyone can see that it is in fact a blatantly wrong statement showing Miss California's total ignorance of the facts regarding an important current topic (stupidity is probably more accurate.) For that reason alone she should have been demoted to no prize at all, or do these pageants have absolutely no regard for intelligence in their contestants?

Dodie ~ Irvine California   May 4th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Larry... sorry but Twitter slows down my computer

The Portuguese government reported their police questioned Kate and Gerry McCann (the parents of Madeline McCann) on 10 May 2007 about why the three children were left alone in an apartment, with the patio doors unlocked, while they dined at the restaurant the date Madeleine McCann disappeared. In an interview with the BBC on 25 May 2007, the McCanns acknowledged the criticism, and spoke of the guilt they felt
——————
I agree with Dave of Detroit. In California, this would be considered ‘child abuse’ and all the children would have been removed from the parent’s custody. As much as I hate to say this, the look of this child is in high demand and can be sold for a lot of money. I have no pity for the parents, but my heart goes out to this child. So very sad!

Marianne from Utah   May 4th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

Miss California's quote: "And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman."

Miss California may speak for herself, but she does not speak for all Americans. Please do not include my in the group that will not offer equality to all citizens in this country.

connie   May 4th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

I was a Barbara Walters fan from her first anchor days until the day she had John McCain on the View. I do not share John McCain's political views, but I totally respect him as an individual and appreciate his contributions to our country. I no longer watch Ms. Walters on TV....I was so saddened and disappointed in the way she conducted herself the day Mr. Mc Cain was on The View, prior to the Presidential Election.

Marianne from Utah   May 4th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Let's have some sympathy for the McCann parents here. They did something incredibly naive and even stupid; they will suffer for the rest of their lives for their thoughtlessness. No one deserves to be haunted by the loss of a child.

Kim Hook   May 4th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

Hi, I am a mother of a 2 year old daughter and if anything had ever happened to her I would do the same things that the McCann family has done. My heart goes out to them and hope to God that she wasn't introduced into the sex trade. Have they thought of that possibilty?
My prayers and thoughts go out to them.
Kim Hook
Vancouver Canada

Ms. Pamela Colliver   May 4th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Ms. Walters:

In 1958, when I was eight years old, I used to watch you on the Today Program. I would never purchase your book you are trying to sell.

Now fifty two years later, I am watching you on Larry King.

My question: Why, when I contacted your "The View" program, three years ago. Practically begging you to do a special on why the state of Indiana, NW, Lake county, Crown Point, (seven miles from where our current president lived...Chicago).

Allows people to illegally go into private lives of women and are paid thousands of dollars to help adoptees find offspring, to destroy their lives. Mine was, has been and is today psychologically, and emotionally destroyed. The adoption laws of Indiana are illegally circumvented. Mitch Daniels, Governor, Indiana doesn"t care. Nor does Steve Carter, Attorney General for Indiana. Maybe they will when I sue the state for $300, mil this fall of 2009.

You, however then brought your adopted daughter into Northern Ohio (the state where I live). You did a special, alright. You and you hypocritical daughter tried to make the rest of America think and feel that adoption is wonderful, and warm and fuzzy, right Ms Walters?

My story will be picked up, you won't get the option.

I as a child age eight, watching you, never thought that my life would be where it is today, because of horrific people in of all countries of the world, the United States of America, to wit: Indiana breaking most very private laws. You, as well a hypocrit, yourself, that I just reached out to, to please do a story to stop other innocent, unsuspecting women like me from further horror stories, that never deserved to be found.

Ms Pamela Colliver
SW Ohio

Good Riddance

Denis J. Wildanger   May 4th, 2009 10:14 pm ET

Larry,
My wife and I have followed your show for years and enjoy it very much. Still there is one question that comes to the forum, i.e. as I am a suspender man myself can you share a little lite fair on this with your viewers? such as howmany do you own? are they owned by the studio? is there a theme that ties which ones to wear into your show? along with other similar commentary.

Respectfully,
Denis J. Wildanger of Woodbridge Virginia

thomas   May 4th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

I did not like what Ms Walters said on TV a few yrs ago, " I went to my college reunion, & I looked the best of everyone!"...these things you say @ your kitchen table, that is called "graveyard talk"...of course, if I had her money, perhaps I would look better also,,,,

Dave of Detroit   May 4th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

I really believe that they call it middle age spread for a reason-maybe it is because we no longer keep up the big front of youth and settle back into our easy chairs and rockers. look at those trying to regain their youth, and say: "Been there, Done That!" and accept the old bod and that strange fat guy looking back at us in the mirror-glasses, balding, and grey. Good memories though! Luck to all in the thinning venture!

valerii   May 5th, 2009 12:24 am ET

Barbara and Larry are smart. And they use this feature to theitradvantage.

Kathy   May 5th, 2009 12:56 am ET

What yo-yo dieters fail to address is their food addiction. Certain foods, such as all sugars and flours are as highly addictive as alcohol and heroin, and should not be eaten in any quantity by the food addict. When an alcoholic recovers, he never uses alcohol again. it's the same with these certain foods. If one peanut can send a person to the hospital, what makes us think that some other foods can't have a similar detrimental effect? Read "Food Addiction: The Body Knows" by Kaye Sheppard. Talk about an "AHA Moment." You'll never beat yourself up again.

A Martin   May 5th, 2009 1:00 am ET

Health is important but you need to mind your own damned business . Kirstie's weight is her own business and your opinion is just that Your opinion, Keep your nose out of other peoples business!!!!!!!!!!

A Martin   May 5th, 2009 1:00 am ET

Pierre Handl   May 5th, 2009 1:02 am ET

Larry,

You asked Barabara Walters if Behar(?spelling) was Jewish. Barbra Walter answered that the husband was Jewish but she was Italian. I am married to a beautiful Sephardic girl and I have learned that Askenazy Jews which I believe both you and Barbara, as I am, are members of the Ashkenazi. Being Jewish can and does apply to any race on this planet. Many Italian jews were murdered during WWII. There are even Iraqi jews, African Jews, Mexican Jews, and even Chinese. My marriage to my wife over the past 28 years has given me, and continues to, provide me with a deeply rich experience in living a Jewish life. So when I meet non-white people I no longer make the ridiculous assumption that they are not Jewish.

So Barbra Walter's answer may have unknowingly disinfranchised many non-white Jews. She should have answered "no".

Rob   May 5th, 2009 3:46 am ET

Whille I sympathize with the McCanns, I can't get over their culpability. They were too far away from the apartment to adequately supervise their children. I do certainly hope that they find their daughter but they do bear some of the responsibility for her abduction.

idzan ismail of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia   May 5th, 2009 6:21 am ET

Ms Walters.
I am a big fan of yours. Got a biography of you.
Cant wait for your book to reach our shores.
You will be 80 this September. You are as beautiful as you ae.
Hope you will not go under the knife again.

pauline   May 5th, 2009 7:13 pm ET

think Ms Walters was born in 1931 like we were, in Sept.....

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter