CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 12, 2009

ICYMI: Bill Clinton on LKL last night!

Posted: 08:02 AM ET

Former President Bill Clinton was on LKL last night – he spoke to our guest host, Sanjay Gupta, about the new administration's efforts to achieve healthcare reform, and also discussed his own health.

GUPTA: One thing I notice when I was talking to you - we talked about this before - when you point with your finger -

CLINTON: Sometimes it shakes. See it's a little shake, no shake here. I've been tested for it. I don't have Parkinson's.

GUPTA: Don't have it.

CLINTON: The doctor told me as people age, they become more vulnerable, for example, to having these muscles. Like if I write a lot.

GUPTA: Yes.

CLINTON: Or play video games or, you know, just do anything like that, anything with a lot of my fingers, and these tighten up, or if I'm tired, if I'm working hard, it will cause your hands to shake. So see that's pretty calm today, a little bit of shake, none over here. And some days they both shake, some days none of them do. And I was quite concerned about it, because if I had Parkinson's, I wanted to know, so I could prepare.

I had it tested and the doctor says, no, it's just a normal aging phenomenon.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Health

Michael C. McHugh   March 12th, 2009 8:27 am ET

I watched it. I have always respected Clinton's high intelligence and persuasiveness, even when I disagreed with him–as I did with NAFTA, free trade and all that. What the world needs now is balanced trade, not countries putting too many eggs in the export basket.

At any rate, I'm more inclined to offer everyone the chance to get on Medicare–or whatever we are going to call the national health insurance plan when all is said and done. I'm reluctant to subsidize the private insurance companies any further, just on general principles, especially because for-profit companies will always milk the system for all it's worth.

Naturally, there are peopel who will insist on keeping private insuance for whatever reason, which teh government will end up subsidizing, at least partially. We're not talking about people with very high incomes who can afford any insurance plan they want, but middle class and working class families.

They should at least have a chance to sign up for Medicare.

I have always thought that the Federal Reserve could support Social Security and Medicare directly, so we don't have to raise taxes to high, especially as the Baby Boomers retire.

Clinton was right that the system could better emphasizing prevention and improved public health. In addition, with all these mass shootings going on, we might want to look at how we can improve public psychiatric care in America.

Rosemary BuShea   March 12th, 2009 9:06 am ET

For the second time on LKL, former President Clinton perpetuated misinformation on stem cell research and no one even batted an eye.
On a previous show with Larry King, Clinton described "embryonic stem cells" and unfertilized. Last night, Clinton repeatedly referred to "embryos" as "not fertilized." (I actually counted six times.)
And Gupta said nothing.
Now, no matter how one feels about stem cell research, I think the public would like to be told the truth. Clinton's repetition and emphasis on the statement leads me to believe this was a deliberate attempt to sway the public toward acceptance of embryonic stem cell research. And the fact that Larry King/CNN did nothing to correct the statements shows bias and/or collusion.
The other option: The man is a total buffoon, who needs a crash course in Sex Ed 101 (Do you really believe THAT?). And then, what would Sanjay Gupta's excuse be?

Dr. Alice Lazzarini   March 12th, 2009 9:41 am ET

I, too, have always respected Clinton's high intelligence and persuasiveness, but I cringed at least ten times last night when he used the word "fertilized" as the go/no go step for the use of embryonic stem cells. Embryo's are by definition fertilized, and what he should have been referring to was "implantation." The cells used for embryonic stem cell research are from fertilized embryos that will not be implanted!

Dr. Gupta was too polite to correct Clinton in public, but someone has to set him straight so as to affirm his credibility on this issue.

Similarly, his having been "tested" and "Parkinson's disease having been ruled out" was a bit simplistic. It is "ruled out" on autopsy. He might better have said something to the effect that his tremor is not the one typically seen in PD (if that is the case).

Please make sure that someone on Clinton's team is made aware of these comments.

Mandi   March 12th, 2009 10:57 am ET

I was shocked to find out last night that former President Clinton did not realize that an embryo is already fertilized! That it is already a life! Seriously!? Shame on Dr. Gupta for not correcting him during the interview. This is just one more way that the media continues to fail the American public. So much for respnsible reporting! One more reason to stop watching CNN.

Paul Tegeler   March 12th, 2009 12:10 pm ET

Dr. Gupta should have corrected Pres. Clinton re embryos. Since he didn't, Larry King and CNN should. The shows' prestige and credibility are at stake along with CNN's. We all know that embryos
are fertilized.

celeste   March 12th, 2009 12:32 pm ET

He kept saying 'if the embryos have been fertilized or not fertilized'. All embryos are fertilized eggs! Fertilisation has already taken place to make an embryo. They are already the beginnings of babies and potential people.

Judy   March 12th, 2009 12:49 pm ET

well, thank goodness others are just upset as I am about Clinton calling embryos NOT fertalized, when, in fact – they are little baby humans waiting for a womb to grow in – and the good doctor shaking his hand at the end and thanking Clinton for the "science lesson". Do you think CNN will post a disclaimer or correction to that out and out lie? what if a guest was on LKL and said that the holocost didn't ever happen – do you think anyone would at least state the truth or try to correct the misinformation – and, since I didn't see the whole show – did the good doctor mention anything about all the great results and cures being found using adult stem cells and umbillic cord blood stem cells – or was this show just bound and determined to advance the culture of death in this country?

Terry, TX   March 12th, 2009 2:27 pm ET

You ladies and Paul...right on the money...Clinton policy pushing damage control after a an executive order signing and authorizing what he did regarding embryos... Next.The women is executive order right along in line big abuse story going on.

They already use adult stem cells, umbilical cord and placenta in the stem cell research going on now. Then again we have a President who voted yes for partial birth abortions....and that's for babies up to 6 months old.

Terry, TX   March 12th, 2009 2:32 pm ET

I am sorry...my last sentence should have read..." that's for babies carried in the uterus up to the 6 month."

This subject just hurts my heart..I get a little rattled.

Dave of Detroit   March 13th, 2009 1:38 am ET

Okay, let's talk about some things that are not commonly known-one, umbellical cords are used for vein transplants as there is never a rejection issue. Millions of abortions are done every year, women are harvesting their eggs and selling them, and for some reason there is a problem with "Stem cell" research. I got lost a long time ago about the moral issues of "eggs." Kind of reminds me of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" I will admit that I worked in a Hospital and the staff definitely had a slant on these things that the general public did not-Life was precious, and they did everything they could to prolong it. Biologically speaking, we are headed for severe problems just in chromosomes breaking down from the age of our race-homo sapiens is starting to have birth defects and other problems that are genetic in nature-might be an idea to start researching ways to counter this undesired evolutionary process!

Bev Parker   March 13th, 2009 7:34 am ET

I'm so happy to see others counting the number of times Bill Cllinton made the mistake of saying that embryos are not fertilized? I was absolutely aghast at this error and thought surely that Gupta would argue for a correction. What a mishandling of this subject matter. I think we need an informed public on this issue. I am for embryonic stem cell research but I am very aware that but for an empty womb, these cells are potential humans. Shame on Gupta and Shame on LKL and CNN for no corrections on this issue.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter