CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 9, 2009

John McCain's daughter takes on Ann Coulter

Posted: 12:55 PM ET

By Meghan McCain, daughter of U.S. Senator John McCain

It is no secret that being a Republican isn’t the most hip political stance a person can take right now. President Obama has successfully established himself as the hippest politician around. You know you’re big when Katy Perry wears a dress with your face on it to host the MTV Europe Music Awards. To my fellow Republicans: I’m sorry, I wish I could be more positive about the current “hipness” of our party. But being a Republican is about as edgy as Donny Osmond. Granted, being “hip” is not a reason to join a political party, or a reason to agree with its ideals. But it is a way to get the attention of a generation—or, more specifically, my generation.

To make matters worse, certain individuals continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes about Republicans. Especially Republican women. Who do I feel is the biggest culprit? Ann Coulter. I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity. I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time. But no matter how much you or I disagree with her, the cult that follows Coulter cannot be denied. She is a New York Times best-selling author and one of the most notable female members of the Republican Party. She was one of the headliners at the recent CPAC conference (but when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much).

Coulter could be the poster woman for the most extreme side of the Republican Party. And in some ways I could be the poster woman for the opposite. I consider myself a progressive Republican, but here is what I don’t get about Coulter: Is she for real or not? Are some of her statements just gimmicks to gain publicity for her books or does she actually believe the things she says? Does she really believe all Jewish people should be “perfected” and become Christians? And what was she thinking when she said Hillary Clinton was more conservative than my father during the last election? If you truly have the GOP’s best interests at heart, how can you possibly justify telling an audience of millions that a Democrat would be a better leader than the Republican presidential candidate? (I asked Ann for comment on this column, including many of the above questions, but she did not answer my request.)

READ MORE of Meghan's commentary HERE

Filed under: Ann Coulter

hugh ~ california   March 9th, 2009 2:02 pm ET

Meghan McCain's commentary on Ann Coulter and other extreme right-wingers sounds like the voice of reason, while the good 'ol boys in the GOP seem out of touch. I'm not a republican, but I agree with almost every word in her commentary.

Maybe Meghan is right, perhaps she should not be a member of the republican party in the future. Many democrats like myself are also patriotic and as a former coldwar veteran, I support our troops and a strong military as well.

j   March 9th, 2009 4:07 pm ET

i think ann coulter should take off her beautiful cross
because when she opens her mouth out comes ugly
one word
hypocrite

Tangie   March 9th, 2009 4:29 pm ET

Meghan McCain is right, she is a republican with common sense. There is no need for Anne Culture to harbour such negative feelings about anyone's situation if she has nothing to do with it. If her life is all that matters to her, and it is a good one, then let the people who care worry about others!.

Mrs. Holder   March 9th, 2009 4:36 pm ET

When will Americans decide to dump this economy back on those that caused this fiasco in the first place?

Arrest Bush Cheney Rumsfeld Rice Gonzales Meirs Bremer et al.

Purge our government of all puppets of Bush/Cheney.

Americans will mass in record numbers to remove Republicans from the US SEnate.

lori   March 9th, 2009 6:29 pm ET

a lot of makeup like Mom & heavy like Dad ..she wanted a very expensive car & got it..7 houses & 13 cars ....whooosh ....pls give to the poor....

Kelli from Tampa   March 9th, 2009 6:52 pm ET

Oh let the Republican's do what they do best...eat each other alive and we will never have to deal with ANY of them again.

Pietro Sirianni   March 9th, 2009 7:15 pm ET

I see a major rift in the republican party between its media hungry radicals; (Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reily, that transexual woman, and Faux News in general) and traditional politicians. We have a new circus side show to watch that emanates from the republican party. Does the party separate itself from the radicals and the 10 million wacko votes that these clowns bring, or do they go after the other 100 million of us. Sounds like simple math to me. In the mean time the wackos are making very, very good money
"The wise man said to the king, "this too shall pass." "

j   March 9th, 2009 7:32 pm ET

Pietro
I can not stop laughing at transexual woman
oh my gosh

wendy   March 9th, 2009 8:10 pm ET

she's a heavy stocky girl..too much makeup..get the feeling she is not close w/her siblings..why do I get the feeling the McCains are not proud of their Af/American daughter..she a darling, always got the feeling the Cheney's were not proud of Mary their gay daughter..I like Mary better than the one w/5 children, the bleached blonde..Mary is the honest one the kind one..the other one is spoiled..big ego strong ego..but we like Mary the quiet one, she seems to have complexes tho ...she was not the favorite child...

hugh ~ california   March 9th, 2009 8:29 pm ET

@ Pietro and J,
I for one do not appreciate your negative comments about transsexuals, they are due their equal rights and these types of comments are insulting to them and any person who is discriminated against because of their gender or sexual orientation. No group is without shame, evil exists in all cultures regardless of religion, ethnicity or sexual preference–be it hetero, homosexual or transgender.

Please Pietro, FOX NEWs would not hire a transgender person, they are the most backwards conservative channel on network cable television. Stop the hate.

jean ratliff   March 9th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I cant stand Ann Coulter OR expecially """""MS PALIN???? How your classy, educated dad could have picked a JOURNALIST for his running mate is hard to understand. He would have Won if he had chosen an educated person.

TEXAS REPUBLICAN WOMEN

Janice   March 9th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Ms. McCain cannot compete with Ms. Coulter at any level. Ms. Coulter is bright, smart, articulate, attractive and popular. Perhaps Senator McCain should have listened to Ms. Coulter when he was running for President. McCain's pro-amnesty, love of illegal aliens and non-conservative agenda is what became his downfall. Hopefully, the GOP will have a true conservative as their nominee in 2012 – these RINO's must not be allowed to be the voice the the party. Good Day!

Linda   March 9th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

If anyone perputated any negative Sterotypes about the Republicans it was your Dad and his running mate Sarah Palin. The lies and hatred and mispresentation of what America is ( ALL WHITE CROWDS) and how they think and represent what the whole of what ALL Americans think was laugable. You will first need to look back over the entire campagian ticket and how it was run under the McCain/Palin ticket , then you can maybe comment on someone else defecits once you admit to the ones your Dad made.

Pietro Sirianni   March 9th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

Hugh,
If transexuals are due their equal rights then why wouldn't FAUX NEWS hire one? I'm perplexed.

I would like to apologize to all transexuals for saying that transexual woman is a transexual. If in fact she is not (which I doubt) I have slighted your group gravely. I think it is terrible she keeps it a secret.

j   March 9th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

hugh
Im sorry too
Im not laughing at transexuals

Im laughing at ann coulter a transexual
im sorry i cant stop laughing

hugh ~ california   March 9th, 2009 10:21 pm ET

Pietro and J,
You guys are OK, you can laugh at Ann Coulter all you want, I can't stand that b@#th! Fellas, the T-Girls will love you, and you don't even have to hug 'em. Ann Coulter is a train wreck!
😯

peter   March 9th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

end the war..save 9 billion a month to help our economy..what was GWBush thinking? he never went to war & Cheney w/5deferrments ?

Pietro Sirianni   March 9th, 2009 10:56 pm ET

j

you saw the adams apple too?

as big as a melon.

dani   March 9th, 2009 11:49 pm ET

Ann Coulter...the name itself makes me laugh. The fact she still has a forum is a shame to many respectable Republicans. She's offensive and her show pony antics are definate cause for the right to blush. However, people keep keep putting her up as some type of spokesperson..Ann Coulter is a negative public figure for the right, and more in the party should speak out and detach themselves from "radical hate-breeders"....

janette tx   March 10th, 2009 1:17 am ET

dani
The repubs love people like boney Ann and bloated
Rush .They say out loud what repubs can't. Or else as
a group they would have distanced themselves by
rebuking those two.

Marsden Bigby   March 10th, 2009 1:18 am ET

Meghan,

Maybe you're not a Republican? If you are then I suggest you fight to put your more "progressive" views out there and battle with the likes of Ms. Coulter for the soul of your party. I am a democrat. My view of your party is that it cares only about what thing, money. I can't say your party is about religion because your party overwhelmingly supports the death penalty and the war in Iraq. Can't say they really care about keeping America safe because most people seem to agree that the war is creating more enemies than we are killing. The times have changed, not caring about what happens to others seems to be part of the reason we are where we are today. Maybe you can help to define whether your party cares for anyone but themselves, and how they want to help others and by extension, themselves.

janette tx   March 10th, 2009 1:34 am ET

janic
Ha Ha HA HA HA HA.WOOOOOO. Okay Okay.
You just called boney bulging eyes chain spokin
Ann Coulture ATTRACTIVE and ARTICULATE
LOL LOL LOL!! Put the glass down. Please.

ed,vancouver canada   March 10th, 2009 1:39 am ET

why waste the energy on coulter?
free publicity.

hey ,become the bachelorette.,
but change that top,it's for pregnant women.

Marsden Bigby   March 10th, 2009 1:56 am ET

1. Janice, what mental asylum are you posting from?
2. Meghan, whatever these people say, you are incredibly beautiful.
3. Your looks have nothing to do with the voracity of your statements. People like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and Hannity are driving the republican party off the cliffs of mainstream society into the void of marginalization and obscurity.
4. I'm proud of you for having the courage to speak out against your party's heirs appear-ant.

debbie   March 10th, 2009 12:28 pm ET

Meghan is the definition of spoiled and catered to child, what do you expect her to say when her father picked Palin for a running mate. When Palin spoke you knew the game was over for McCain. Our President makes McCain look silly with his negativity and Meghan is a carbon copy of her mother. Did the McCain's really think they were in the same league as our President. We had 8 years of the rich mind set now we have a chance on being a country that is fair in all paying taxes, this is the whole argument with republicans. Poor Rush, McCain,Palin and Meghan, we do not feel sorry that the rich are mad because they have to pay their share in taxes. Ann Coulter may be out spoken and rude but she calls it like she sees it.

Rose   March 10th, 2009 5:53 pm ET

Ann Coulter is a disgrace and a very negative influence. She promotes hatred and lies. Extremists never helped a society, party or country. Coulter represents the worst of the worst. She sounds like the media-ready version of an uneducated, underclass bigot.

Coulter is verbal diarrhea exemplified. A mouth full of sh*t. Brains made of the same fecal matter. Her writing is bound toilet paper passing for books. Any media time given to her – wasted like the proverbial flush down the drain.

Any negative characterization of Meghan McCain by some cannot conceal Coulter's infinite flaws. If Ann Coulter is representing Republicans in any manner, it will only help the Democrats. The country just had 8 years of idiocy personified – we can smell another one in Coulter and won't tolerate it.

jan harston   May 1st, 2009 9:30 pm ET

I really don't want to comment on Ann Coulter's politics. BUT, I would like to comment on her lack of manners, decorum, sensitivity, political correctness – and all based in a lack of historical understanding. Making such an ignorant comment i.e. that the world would be better off if women did not vote. Many people, male and female worked very hard for women to have that right. I think Ann Counlter should put her vote where her mouth is – and quit voting.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter