CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 3, 2009

Cafferty: Michelle Obama off to a great start

Posted: 08:39 AM ET

by CNN's Jack Cafferty

I think I am developing a crush on America's first lady. Michelle Obama is more compelling than her husband. He's good, but she's utterly fascinating.

Mrs. Obama has blown away the stale air in a White House musty from eight years of the Bushes. It's like the sun came out and a fresh spring breeze began wafting through the open windows.

It's the people's house, and Michelle Obama totally gets it. So much so that she has taken to inviting people in from the streets to see her home. Nice touch - one completely lacking in her recent predecessors.

Watch her when she visits a local school and you see the warmth and affection she instantly triggers in people. Kids are pretty much totally honest with very good BS-detectors. If they sense you're a phony, forget it. But around the first lady, they want to hug her and laugh with her and tell her stories.

READ MORE of Cafferty's commentary HERE

Filed under: Michelle Obama

Jerry Whitehead   March 3rd, 2009 9:31 am ET

Our nation's first black First Lady... She's elegant, classy, and beautiful. I agree with Cafferty. It is refreshing to see her in White House.

Char   March 3rd, 2009 12:44 pm ET

Thanks Michelle for bringing life to the White House. Most of us have never been interested in the White House or First Lady until you arrived. You are gracious and beautiful , keep up the good work. You are what we have all been waiting for.

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 12:50 pm ET

Well, I find the author's comments interesting. He is speaking very fondly of an evil, angry woman. Has everyone forgotten the first lady's statemants at the beggining of this last election? She dogged our country and this deranged, media blundered writer is calling her "fascinating" !?! I think this man needs to wake up and realize how arrogant and evil this woman truly is. If Cindy McCain wouldve cam out and made statemants about our country like the first lady did, she would have been shut out of society. Let's all get a grip!

frank   March 3rd, 2009 1:14 pm ET

gorgeous, Mr King..a little less sleeveless tho..beautiful sleeves make a statement..but this may be her signature...& that's OK...god bless Obamas!..she uses different designers..the last one was Stevie Wonder's wife..elegant !!..so happy he invited Tony Bennett also...

Rose   March 3rd, 2009 2:01 pm ET

Anyone who calls Mrs. Obama "evil and angry" is out to lunch. Does the term "context" mean anything regarding her comment during the election? When taken into context, she did not "dog" our country.

Michelle Obama is a highly intelligent, accomplished, educated and eloquent person. She is an extremely good role model for young women of all races. We need more people with her characteristics in our country. She, through hard work, raised herself from a poor background to be an ivy-league graduate and lawyer. Well done for anyone, male or female. She is a wonderful First Lady.

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 2:10 pm ET

Well, you must be a roped in liberal, shame shame. I can't believe how blistered peoples common sense can become after they have supported their "messiah". Mam, I don't know what to say when you state that she didn't dog our country. She said she isn't proud of our country. Wake up and realize what would have happened if Cindy McCain had said that! I can't really get this point across to someone such as you mam and that doesn't bother me. You and all of your kool-aid drinkers can stay hooked on this arrogant lady all you want.

Don Ekpo   March 3rd, 2009 2:31 pm ET

Hey Jack, First lady Michelle is the most adorable, amiable woman on earth, she is highly supportive like Laura her predeccessor, but Michelle is more open, fasinating, poise, gracious, looks more friendly, infact she is not only to the American women of all colour but for the entire world.

Rose   March 3rd, 2009 2:32 pm ET

Michelle Obama's choice of not wearing very expensive designer suits on a regular basis, the way Cindy McCain did, also elevates her in a positive manner. Her down-to-earth, reasonable style places the focus on her as a person and not on her clothes. She extends this to her children as well. It is a form of subdued empathy with Americans.

She is a woman who reflects today's circumstances and change. Thankfully, she is NOT a throw-back to the outdated wife-as-Barbie-doll – i.e. wearing too much bling, endless outfits, surgically altered with a plastic exterior.

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 2:39 pm ET

Yep, you are a sucked in, bewildered, bird of rare plumage! I wasn't talking about clothes or accesories, but you love to mention that so you can vear away from the topic at hand, typical liberal talk. But just in case you had a brain lapse, let me remind you. We are discussing an arrogant woman who slandered our country, thats a fact not something taken out of context! She said she wasn't proud of our country until now, when her husband ran for president. Why does she say that, b/c she finally feels like rascism is finally over and a barrier is b,roken!?! Thats a load of crap! She said it to dog our country. Quit changing the topic and face the truth madam, its a great thing.

Rose   March 3rd, 2009 2:43 pm ET

She never said she wasn't proud of our country! Listen carefully to her words. The context of this comment has been discussed ad nauseum in the past. Bush and his ilk have destroyed our country, not with comments, but with destructive actions. If you want to call anyone "evil" – it was Bush and Cheney. That's my measure of those words. Not our First Lady – pleeeze!

It's bizarre how one statement, taken out of context, by Mrs. Obama can lead to her being called "evil and angry". It's ridiculous.

Rose   March 3rd, 2009 2:47 pm ET

Did it ever occur to you Dominic that your previous comment was not on the blog when I began typing my comment prior to your posting.? My post time is when I submitted my comment. Not when I began to type it. I didn't see it because I was on-line typing when you submitted it. You're not very bright because you don't consider the variables. You only see what is in front of you. One-dimensional. Your comments about me (and others) being "sucked in" is just plain stupid.

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 2:56 pm ET

the number is 646-929-1242. so you can call-in if your away from the comp. then.

Gary Chandler in Canada   March 3rd, 2009 2:59 pm ET

Lamebow wannabe or what!?

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 3:01 pm ET

You can join to smart-alic. Everyone thinks there so cute on larry kings site blogging. Well step into my show and call-in. Until then have a nice one everyone.

Gary Chandler in Canada   March 3rd, 2009 3:06 pm ET

"""If Cindy McCain wouldve cam out and made statemants about our country like the first lady did, she would have been shut out of society."""
Dominic, CM was a drug addict who stole from one of her charitable organizations and she was NOT 'shut out of society'.
[shut out of the WH, yes]
---–
If you want people to listen to your radio BLOG, you should refrain from writing, if you get my meaning!? [ just some friendly advice ROFL]

Gary Chandler in Canada   March 3rd, 2009 3:09 pm ET

LOL read 3 of your sentences,,
KNOW it is not worth listening to
---
this might have worked, [will try to emulate the poor spelling>>> 'hey Im dominic,, gotta right wing radi bloG that goes farter than Limbauh.
tun in to seee wot I hav to say abut the 1rst lady'
----–

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 3:10 pm ET

Oh yes your hilarious. Listen, I'm not going to argue anymore on this blog. You can make up excuses for not calling-in and thats fine. Its a good way to make you feel better about yourself. Cindy McCain was not a drug addict. come on the show and well discuss all of this. But the again, you prob. won't come, typical liberal.

David   March 3rd, 2009 3:14 pm ET

I have a crush on Mrs. Obama too. She's smart and quite beautiful. I am amazed at her everyday. We haven't had a first lady like this since Jackie Kennedy. I bet everytime the first lady meets with people. Everyone is saying, What is Michelle wearing? She's wonderful, keep up the great job.

j   March 3rd, 2009 3:19 pm ET

Gary
thanks for making me laugh

Dominic
It is so nice to have a down to earth beautiful SMART first lady.
If you think about it ask yourself why? why would she say something like that in the context you are thinking while her husband is running for President Of the US. It really is quite easy to think for yourself and not listen to people who twists peoples thoughts and words.
You need to go for a long nice walk on a beautiful beach and clear out your mind SIR.

Dominic   March 3rd, 2009 3:21 pm ET

Well, I'm glad you all have your excuses figured out for not calling in to my show. As for me, I've had all the laughing I can take on this pathetic blog. Bye everyone.

Gary Chandler in Canada   March 3rd, 2009 3:28 pm ET

Cmon Dom;; I'm just making fun of you, my friend. so sorry if you were bullied in the sand box.
I WONT be listening to your 'show';;; however that guy or gal who gets ahold of you, claiming to agree with all your idiotic ideas, that will be the CIA, so careful what you say..
[[[ lol i know you aint god bye,, but if you respond it makes you a liar,, catch 33 aint it!?]]]

Rose   March 3rd, 2009 5:06 pm ET

Dominic: You used this blog to shameless promote (or rather demote) your "show". Are you satisfied now? You made a fool of yourself here. Why on earth would anyone want to talk to you after the way you have chosen to express yourself? I said: your comments are stupid, you changed that to: I said you are stupid. You can't even differentiate between two. Thank you for your lousy contributions here by taking an interesting subject and abasing it. Your show must be "brilliant" – not.

If people don't agree with you, they don't automatically become "roped in liberals". Got that?

debbie   March 3rd, 2009 5:25 pm ET

I think our First Lady is the definition of grace. It is finally nice to have a First Lady so poised and elegant. Our President and First Lady seems to throw those Republicans for a loop, I'm sure because she is real and not fake like the other one wanting to be First Lady so badly. We choose the right ones for office,brains and beauty. It is not about wearing dresses and gowns with a huge price tag, Micheele Obama is a classy lady.

Amanda Roche   March 3rd, 2009 7:54 pm ET

Our first lady is for the people, and that is definetely refrshing. This is the first time a first lady has opened the doors to the American people and welcomed them with opened arms. Many of the things the Obamas are doing is first time, creative, innovative, and visionary. There is light at the end of the Rainbow.

6o's Survivor   March 3rd, 2009 8:20 pm ET

Michelle is a great 1st Lady and human being – look at her children – just beautiful and so happy – that is parenting in action. Michelle was overcome with disbelief at what was happening during the campaign – "proud of her country" in the respect of where this country had come to finally support an African American for President – you may have to be black to understand that I do and I'm not black but I have a long memory!!

j   March 3rd, 2009 8:54 pm ET

I love seeing the Obamas in the White House. I am sure they treat all the people that work there with great respect. The secret service and all those employees must love them. Being in the service industry as a flight attendant I could tell you some great stories of those famous people who treat you nice and those who treat you like you are beneath them. Jackie O was one who was fantastic to me and even gave me a hug. Anyway they seem so humble. Im sure Laura Bush was great too and Hillary and Bill well I dont know. It is just different this time. Someone more articulate please help me out here.

Tracye   March 3rd, 2009 9:05 pm ET

Im very inspired by Michelle Obama. She is very smart and even uses grown up words I have never heard before in my life. Not only is she smart but keeps it real all the time.

Patrick Kirwin   March 3rd, 2009 9:36 pm ET

1st Lady? Give me a break. She married a half-breed.

frances   March 3rd, 2009 9:37 pm ET

the following reminds me of the Obamas,,,,,,Doing what you like is FREEDOM,,Liking what you do is HAPPINESS !!!..God Bless America & the Obama Family..& the Grandma !!...

reese   March 3rd, 2009 9:51 pm ET

How dare you state that the former first ladies were stale?
Everyone loved Barbara Bush. Laura Bush comforted us through 9/11. Even Hillary got our sympathy.
Michelle Obama has been redesigned to resemble June Cleaver.
It is SO FAKE. Sorry,but she is not beautiful. She's a very large, clunky woman who exhibits no grace. She has already stated that
she has never been proud of this country. Some first lady. I think she is an embarrassment.

Patrick   March 3rd, 2009 9:54 pm ET

Nice piece of fluff Jack...did you go to community college?

tommy   March 3rd, 2009 9:56 pm ET

her hair looks so beautiful curled & she looks smashing in the lovely green dress designed by Stevie Wonder's wife ....

geraldine /former designer/   March 3rd, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Not everyone liked Bar Bush & she never dressed correctly..Arnold Scassi was her designer.Arnold ISSACS, /he reversed his last name/ ...

nancy   March 3rd, 2009 10:04 pm ET

can u imagine inviting the young cooking interns into the WhiteHouse kitchen so they can learn ? this young first lady is amazing, smart, cultured, graceful, intelligent, & such a great mom & wife..I wish them Good Health !

reese   March 3rd, 2009 10:06 pm ET

And you think that Michelle dressed correctly on election night, inauguration day or inauguration night? She was a disaster. Even the women on the view mocked her.

marilu   March 3rd, 2009 10:24 pm ET

she is so refreshing ! what a lovely couple...I would like to see her wearing long gloves tho w/a sleeveless gown or cocktail dress ....

terry cronthal   March 3rd, 2009 10:25 pm ET

wondering if she even made it to the community college

pat & sammy   March 3rd, 2009 10:55 pm ET

we're happy they were able to enjoy Camp David ,,the Bush family enjoyed it for 12 yrs....Clintons for 8 yrs..Condi Rice had her own suite @ C David w/a grand piano !! she really enjoyed it..but I feel secretly she is happy Obama won the election !..

j   March 3rd, 2009 11:04 pm ET

reese

do you just make things up in your lil mind

all i can say is

unbelievable and embarrassing for you

sally mae   March 3rd, 2009 11:20 pm ET

for j..so Jackie Kennedy gave u a hug,,I have the following bk, "I Was Jacqueline Kennedy's Dressmaker" by Mini Rhea w/Frances Spatz Leighton..copyright 1962..I paid $5.50 for it yrs ago. Pres. & Mrs. Kennedy were married the same day that we were : Sept. 12, 1953...Unfortunately, they only had 10 yrs together. May they rest in peace & pass on to their many rewards !

phyllis from ca   March 3rd, 2009 11:49 pm ET

we agree w/Jack Cafferty !.

Marie Joseph   January 17th, 2010 8:05 pm ET

Hello First Lady,

I need help Mrs. Obama to bring my mom and my two brothers here to the US from Haiti. They're still alive, without food and water. I am so scared. they have no help to where they're at

What do I need to do to bring them to the States.. I don't want to lose them. They made it through the quake. Don't want them to die.

Please Help me. Nt sure if this will work..But I am just trying.. That's my first time doing this ..Emailing a first Lady. I feel very flattered to do that. But I hope to hear from you soon

Marie Joseph

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter