CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 20, 2009

Octograndpa to Oprah – My Daughter was "absolutely irresponsible"

Posted: 10:45 AM ET

From whence sprang Octomom...

The father of octuplet spawner Nadya Suleman questioned his own daughter's sanity and agreed that she needs major help—financially, at least—during a recent sit-down with Oprah Winfrey.

"That's a very good question," responded Ed Doud, Suleman's dad and a grandfather of 14, when the queen of daytime asked whether his daughter is mentally stable.

"Now I'm no psychiatrist, but I question her mental situation," he said, adding that both his daughter and her fertility doctor were "absolutely irresponsible" to allow her to become that pregnant.

Suleman, 33, who already had six children (three of whom have special needs), gave birth to octuplets Jan. 26 in Bellflower, Calif., after undergoing in vitro fertilization.

READ MORE HERE

Filed under: Larry King Live • Octuplets

sean brizendine   February 20th, 2009 11:05 am ET

if your gonna cover this nonsense at least make it interesting?
"sean in santa rosa"

Bob Ryan   February 20th, 2009 11:11 am ET

Ann Coulter may have sold millions of book and may be a good talker but a woman of her age whom still judges men by the types of Cars they drive still has some growing up to do.

Bob Ryan

phyllis nasta   February 20th, 2009 12:59 pm ET

Your airing of the piece on the Druggert family – the morons with 18 children and more to come, disgusts me. I love your show and respect your balanced interviews but this put me over the top because I know that you won't balance this with shows devoted to interviewing the Director of Planned Parenthood, or Al Gore speaking on the correlation between overpopulation and global pollution. I am boycotting watching your show but I will watch for who you are having on and if you do decide to do the right thing and interview responsible, rational people on the topic of over population, I'll come back to you.
Your former fan.
Phyllis

Jennifer, New Rochelle, NY   February 20th, 2009 2:00 pm ET

First of all, I just want to say that Joy Behar did a great job last night. But about Ann Coulter: yes there are people who, maybe not 'hate', but strongly dislike Ann Coulter and her rather extreme right-wing views of things. I bet if you took a poll of people who dislike her, you'd get very high results. Just because her book sold a lot of copies doesn't mean she is well-liked–maybe among Republicans, but then isn't that just preaching to the choir? I think if ultra-right-wing conservatives had any brains, they'd be Democrats.

Pat   February 20th, 2009 2:23 pm ET

Just like to know if the octumom has done anything for her autism child? and two disable? Or if she just used them to collect public funds?I have a friend with just ONE child with autism, and most of her waking hours is spending on learning and finding treatments for him.
I think the octumom should be sent to a mental hospital and all her kids put up for adpotion. It's not that I don't have a heart, I just think it'd be better for everybody.

Jeff   February 20th, 2009 4:32 pm ET

Sir, your daughter is a lunatic.

hope   February 20th, 2009 4:43 pm ET

Im going to go out on a limb and ask why the dad didnt kick Nadia to the curb the first time she had a kid. He and his wife are classic enablers and its a little late to be complaining.

Joe G. (From Illinois)   February 20th, 2009 5:50 pm ET

A worm can catch both a bird, a fish, as swell become a bug that raises a storm. Family Abuse (Physical, Verbal, Emotional) is to be contemplated.. and if discovered here, prosecuted.

smart woman   February 20th, 2009 9:49 pm ET

The world will be a better place if parents will oppose their childrens irresponsible behavior instead of acting stupid in the name of 'i will support you no matter what'.

Her child is not normal and needs help unfortunately, the doctor failed to help in affort to mae history. ow can anyone have the hearth to bring babies in such a situation with a single mother of 6.

Dodie from Irvine CA   February 20th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

BOYCOTT THE WOMAN who had a litter of children.

Dodie from Irvine CA   February 20th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Thank you Clark Howard!

Finally someone can see this clearly

Dodie from Irvine CA   February 21st, 2009 12:01 am ET

The children will be the ones who suffer! That is why I think this woman was extremely selfish. The children will continue to suffer even with outside help. Low birth weight and preemie babies will continue to have medical problems plague them all their lives and of course at our expense.

The end result will be that this woman… Nadya Suleman of Whittier, California will end up in prison for welfare fraud as she received $165,000 for workers compensation and you can tell from her high school picture, she has had numerous facial plastic surgeries most likely when she was collecting from the state of California = Welfare fraud. With group homes bulging as there is not enough families to take all the unwanted children, this one woman will contribute 14 more children to these group homes. ~sigh~

Diaper Statistics: An estimated 18 billion single-use diapers are thrown in landfills each year, taking as many as 500 years to decompose, and commonly contain raw, untreated sewage. Disposable diapers make up the third largest source of solid waste in landfills, after newspapers and food and beverage containers.

It takes upwards of 82,000 tons of plastic and 1.3 million tons of wood pulp, or a quarter-million trees, to manufacture the disposable diapers.
Our forests are going to making disposable diapers ~sigh~

PDBmama   February 21st, 2009 12:10 pm ET

It's hard not to get emotionally involved in a case like this when there are children involved. As a working mom of 3 under the age of 6, I cannot imagine having more right now. My husband's a surgeon, I'm an educator and we decided to give these 3 everything we have, financially and emotionally. You can only spread yourself so thin. I will say this, however, if she goes back to school to get her master's this fall, then my excuse of waiting until my youngest is 5 is no longer valid. Hell, if she is able to go back to school with 14 kids under age 8, no husband, no job, then I will go back for my doctorate too. Thanks for the inspiration Suleman!

betty from fla   February 21st, 2009 3:07 pm ET

what happened to cloth diapers? this is what we used in the 40's & 50's ..just wash hang out in the sun to dry..using a clothesline & clothes pins..what happened to diaper service ? are they out of business ?...

ed,vancouver canada   February 21st, 2009 11:17 pm ET

If you have one good income,stay at home with the kids until they go to school.Letting nannies from foreign countries bond more with your own children than yourself leads to problem children.
In 1965 11%of women with children under 16 worked.
Today,it is 75+% and you wonder why a condo is 500000 dollars?
People have created inflation and the need for 2 incomes.
All in the name of equal rights,and it is the children that suffer.

ed,vancouver canada   February 21st, 2009 11:21 pm ET

The real enablers are people like TLC who have created this mess.
Suleman's new show will be 'Nadya business"

TParker   February 22nd, 2009 4:45 am ET

When I think about this story I am overcome with sadness. It's so easy to label the "octomom" Nadya as being simply selfish and delusional...hey I'm guilty of it too. However, at this point all I can think of are these poor innocent children. Does she realize that her oldest children , who I think are only 7 and 6 years old, will have to immediately "step up" and become semi-caretakers for these babies? It is totally normal, almost expected, for older children to take on the role of caretaker when there are younger siblings in the family, but this is taking it to the extreme. Not only are the babies going to suffer, but her older kids will as well.

I completely agree with the previous posts about the grandparents enabling Nadya. To be honest with you, they should have given their daughter some tough love after she had the first two with no way to support them. In all honesty the ENTIRE family needs extensive counseling. Nadya has stated that she was "fixated and focused" on having children due to her feeling unloved and lonely as a child. Well, if that's truly what her home life was like, what makes her think she has the tools necessary to break this vicious cycle? Secondly, her parents need to address their codependence issues and recognize the role they played in this most unfortunate situation. This is a great example of what happens when members of a typical dysfunctional family choose to stick their heads in the sand and deny their problems. It's so sad!!

Bess   February 22nd, 2009 9:26 am ET

Nadya Suleman is a selfish irresponsible narcassitic fool. Her children are all at risk. $165,000 in disability. Nose job,lip augmentation,Fancy nails ect etc etc. Why didn't she use that money to pay her house payment? How do you live off student loans?? How did she carry 8 babies if she is so disabled? Good Luck to the taxpayers of California! They will never be rid of this moocher! Her parents are no better.That so called doctor should be held accountable! I pray for those poor children. Nadya needs to be locked up!

Bonnie Truitt   February 22nd, 2009 11:20 am ET

I still think the doctor who did this should be ordered to pay child support
for all 14 children, he is actually as responsible for this happening as a
biological father, and I understand he was merely a sperm donar and
friend of the mother.

Bess   February 22nd, 2009 3:51 pm ET

Franky~~are you Nadya??? Or just another mooching illegal?? If you feel so sorry for her,send her YOUR welfare check!!

Avery   February 22nd, 2009 11:29 pm ET

I'd like to see the media focus on the sperm donor friend who enabled Nadya Sulman to have 14 children, as well. He is as irresponsible as she is, if not more because he will not be there to help raise and/or financially support his children. So what is his psychiatric assessment for participating in such an arrangement? Fatherhood should not be a choice. Every child deserves to know and be supported by thier father. These children are going to grow up one day and want answers!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter