CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 12, 2009

Happy Bday Darwin – what's Bill Maher got to say about it?

Posted: 10:33 AM ET

Join us tonight when we talk to BILL MAHER!!  A lot to discuss, but he'll definitely want to weigh in on this one.

Today, the world commemorates the 200th birthday of a man who single-handedly revolutionized biology with an explosive theory that challenged the core of our existence.

"Darwin wrote about who we are," said historian and author James Moore, who has cowritten a new book on the famous evolutionist. "He gave us a re-interpretation of the history of humans on earth, and what we can become."

Darwin's theory of evolution proposes that humans evolved over millions of years from animal species, specifically apes. Such thinking, which challenged the biblical account that a deity created the Earth in six days, was considered radical, even blasphemous, when Darwin published it in 1859.

Filed under: Bill Maher • Larry King Live

IVONNE SOLIS OBREGON   February 12th, 2009 12:39 pm ET

dear correspond: mrs larry king, I wold like to have an interview in your program , I want to give information of the mexican government, of one person. please contact me by email.

Dave of Detroit   February 12th, 2009 12:44 pm ET

Basic question of Philosophy -Created in the image of God and accountable to that God and the tenets and principles of life taught in the Bible or Evolved from lower life forms and forever evolving into a more superior and adaptable being-only problem is that these opposing philosophies have differing lifestyles and termination points. Another problem is that Darwin assumes that the movement is always upward-a lot of history and science contradicts that belief-many civilization have come and gone and geneticists are worried that the initial chromosomes of Homo Sapiens have replicated to the point of breaking down and actually encourage inter-racial marriage to counteract or slow this breakdown. Quality of life is also in question as our morality and diseases is resulting in crime, death and despair-no worries though the sun will terminate in another 59 million years or so......

snowhite   February 12th, 2009 1:59 pm ET

I used to be a big fan of Bill Mahers but tuned him out when he got so nasty ugly about Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin.His playboy lifestyle and regards to women are a real turn off.He seems to think it is funny to curse and malign women and I think he is just a pervert.

ruth   February 12th, 2009 2:37 pm ET

It's great to know you will be back again soon Bill, my favorite show ,of course after larry King live, you are both great. Larry you are really the fair and balanced one.

Hannah   February 12th, 2009 2:46 pm ET

Hi Bill, I wish I could get HBO just to watch you. What do you think of Jobn Mccain. His strength always seemed to be being able to work with Democrates. Is that only true is the Republicans are in power? What do you think about the Utra Conservatives making a hit list. I already thanked the 3 Senators who voted for their country over being partican.

robert copeland   February 12th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Let bill talk about those Republicans again.He seems to reveal their true selves better than anyone else does

Doina   February 12th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Finally a smart, atheist, person who believes in science and could weak up Americans!

tabone 101   February 12th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Do you think that Mr Steele the RNC is afraid or mabe terrified to speak out against Rush?

sam   February 12th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

hey bill,,,keep doing what you do.
It's great...
I wish you where on prime time more .. ,
Always love to hear you speak..

Kathy   February 12th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Bill, I am wondering how you will be spending your $400 stimulus tax check. Oh and is there such a thing as a $5 bag these days? LOL Seriously though..what do you think about school taxes being used for 'sports' i.e. building and maintance of fields, transportation to games...??? I would like your honest opinion.

Richard   February 12th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

why don't we have a one tax system, since our economy is hurting why not just tax goods and not pay and let everyone keep all their pay checks (no taxes with held) Why not? look at the ones that work for cash under the table not paying taxes anyways, plus it would be a stimulas just to have an extra 300 to 400 dollars more a pay check.

Thanks, just a thought.

Diane   February 13th, 2009 12:39 pm ET

I seen Mahers was on mouthing off again. I refuse to listen!! Turn the channel do not support a man whom has blasphemous views! GOP supporters are trying to help our Country! Mr. Obama won the eletion. We the people voted for Change. Did not know he meant ALL OUR CHANGE! America needs to toughen up!

Diane   February 13th, 2009 12:49 pm ET

I seen Mahers was on. I turned the channel. I refuse to support a man with blasphemous views. More need to hit HOLLYWOOD in their pocket books. GOP supporters are trying to help our country! Mr. Obama won the election. We the people voted for CHANGE! Did not understand he meant ALL OUR CHANGE!

Tammy   February 13th, 2009 3:55 pm ET

Bill Mahers is a prime example of the type of garbage that is corrupting the minds of our children. His mockery of our God, church families, and the morals upon which this country was founded is disgusting, and sad. To support recreational usage of illegal drugs in athletes, and state that there are no dangerous side effects to hitting a bong, is almost beyond belief. However, those comments truly revealed his ignorance. How can CNN allow this garbage to be delivered to the living rooms of American children? I will contunue to pray that people such as Bill Mahers will find the Lord, and that we will turn our eyes away from that which is so wicked.

dmassey   February 13th, 2009 8:14 pm ET

to Tammy: Bill Maher has the right to give his opinions. You give yours, and if you don't like it, change channel. Concerning, like you say, mockery on God, church families, and morals, I could tell you a lot on Religion, and peoples who hides behind, and think that they
are perfect , because they go to church. I was Catholic and went to church for 20 years, and you can be, spiritual without going to Church. Today, I would not let any of them (priests) wash my brain anymore
with stupidities, and make us think of sins, ans sins everywhere ,for
no reasons. read about Bill Maher, and you will know him more, and
find out that he has his religion, and not a "no good" because you do
not like what he says. If peoples will not like him, Larry would not
invite him so often. As far as I am concerned, I like him a lot, and he
makes Larry laugh so much, and give him a good time and give good
opinions..... On this. maybe you will think that I need a prayer, well do
so, for bill, larry and..me.

with stupidities, and make us see sins everywhere, for no reasons
Look what priest did to lots of youngs boys, and they were not punish, but ttransferred somewhere else.

dmassey   February 13th, 2009 8:14 pm ET

with stupidities, and make us think of sins, ans sins everywhere ,for
no reasons. read about Bill Maher, and you will know him more, and
find out that he has his religion, and not a "no good" because you do
not like what he says. If peoples will not like him, Larry would not
invite him so often. As far as I am concerned, I like him a lot, and he
makes Larry laugh so much, and give him a good time and give good
opinions..... On this. maybe you will think that I need a prayer, well do
so, for bill, larry and..me.

with stupidities, and make us see sins everywhere, for no reasons

Joe G. (From Illinois)   February 13th, 2009 8:39 pm ET

Can this Bill Maher guy even take one breath on his own? Just one breath? Like only one! Mr. King.. If he says that he can.. Let him explain how? I can guarantee you that he cannot.The Holy Spirit is in all us.. Ask him to prove me wrong on that one if he so chooses!! Bill Maher is running... Bill Maher wants company...

DIANE WILLIAMS   February 13th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

While I think it's sad that the woman from the 'human rights watch', was killed, and also the two members of the 'chuck mangione' band were killed and the widow from 9/11, I must say that I found it upsetting that those 4 ONLY were highlighted (mentioned across the bottom of the screen), while there were also another 46 killed.......were those 4 MORE IMPORTANT than the others killed? If a member of my family had been on that flight, I would feel upset, because my loved one would have been as important to me, if not even more...........I find this highlighting of just those 4 insulting and insensitive..........it makes me sick!

Gayle   February 14th, 2009 8:57 pm ET

I am thrilled that Bill will be back on next week. We have missed his wisdom! I am really frustrated with the Republicans rejecting the attempts to deal with the current economic crisis is ridiculous. I hope any of them up for reelection in 2010 get thrown out. They were the ones that put us into debt in the first place. I guess tax cuts don't work very well, do they?

G&J   February 28th, 2010 11:04 pm ET

Larry,
Have been a follower for a long time, over 50 boomer, why is it every time we get a guy that say's it like it is, main stream meida cuts him off?
Your station pissed a lot of us off when you cut Bill Maher off for speaking the truth. Is CNN in the pocket of the Republican Party just like Fox? Thought you had the balls to say it like it is! Guess Not!

Christian O   September 14th, 2010 9:48 pm ET

People are beeting up Pres Obama now when he has done more for our country than most presidents in the past. And they forget that economy was bad already before he took office.

Jane Pontiac Quebec   September 14th, 2010 9:56 pm ET

Why do you think the moderate Muslims are not speaking up against the radical (fringe) Muslims?

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter