CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 2, 2009

Research Breakthrough: Human Clones May Be Genetically Viable

Posted: 06:24 PM ET

For the first time since Hwang Woo-Suk's cloned stem cells were revealed as fakes, human cloning – for medical purposes, or even for reproduction – appears to be a realistic possibility.

"We show for the first time that the same genes turned on in normal human embryos are the same genes turned on in human clones," said Robert Lanza, scientific director of Advanced Cell Technologies and co-author of a study published Monday in Cloning and Stem Cells.

(Read More)

And in related cloning news...Pet cloning: Best friends reunited

Filed under: Larry King Live • Uncategorized

Mike P   February 2nd, 2009 7:42 pm ET

I am for it. And I think we should do something fast because if we don't, another country is going to start be the forerunner to this technoligy. Now I don't think we should allow human clones, but the possibilitys for stem cell adaption is endless. Unfortunatly it will allow somebody like Cheny to recieve a "like new" heart, I think is something we cannot afford to dismiss. What else has this country got going for them. We need this.

joanne from Sudbury ontario canada   February 2nd, 2009 7:46 pm ET

This is not what God had in mind when he created Adam and Eve!!

Mike P   February 2nd, 2009 8:41 pm ET

Niether is the american government.

Joe   February 2nd, 2009 9:08 pm ET

Do some stories on LARGE LDS families, people who are of the Mormon faith who believe in having as many children as possible.....There are many families out there with 8 to 15 kids, yet they are not getting any air time or grief....why is this lady????

Lets not discriminate and bring America into their lives unless you are willing to give air time everyone with 10+ kids.....

ralph edwards   February 2nd, 2009 9:08 pm ET

Is it not unethical for the doctor to implant 8 babies to a single mom with 6 children and unwed

Rob   February 2nd, 2009 9:09 pm ET

Everybody in the world is NOT talking about the babies. It is none of anybody;s business but the parents. It is rude and insensative of the media to make such an issue of this.

Alex   February 2nd, 2009 9:12 pm ET

this is wrong that people are in a uproar over this. This is no ones business but the mother and the family. this is the 2nd set of octuplets and i hate to have to point this out but when the first couple was a middle america white couple it was a miracle and now its wrong? why? because she's a single african-american woman. its none of our business. The doctors close to her said she was doing everything right and showing alot of care. if the mother is ready to show these kids love and care then good luck to here and these babies.

Alex   February 2nd, 2009 9:17 pm ET

ok i was wrong about the race, my bad. but the point stays the same its not our place to say.

Mike P   February 2nd, 2009 9:19 pm ET

ALEX,

First, your in the wrong forum, but let me give you my two cents. This lady already had six kids, she has her doctor mess around giving her 8 more kids. She is divorced, a single mom living with her mom and has no job. Do you realize who is going to pay for these kids' upbringing? That's right you and I. Is that fair when I can't afford to have any kids? I did'nt think so.

Hannah   February 2nd, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Can the government monitor the home to ensure that the children are taken care of. Also, what do you think about the reports of the mother trying to make money off of her babies?

Kim Hahn   February 2nd, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Larry as the founder of Conceive Magazine and Host of Conceive on Air. I am an advocate for empowering women on their journey to parenthood, this is crazy. With today's technology this should not happen. This causes so many problems ethically and it doesn't help get insurance coverage for all women who want just one child. This is crazy on so many levels.

Rob   February 2nd, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Once again, EVERYONE is NOT talking about the babies. We have far more important matters in this country and world to focus on and discuss.

Alex   February 2nd, 2009 9:29 pm ET

thats besides the point, you dont know that for a fact, and your just jumping to conclusions. i think most mothers would agree that a mother a capable of many things when their kids are involved. you make it seem like no single mother has ever had a future. the argument is that a person shouldn't have 8 kids at once. and thats none of our business. these kids are like a week old and your thinking about money. cmon man give me a break.

Bob   February 2nd, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Who's paying for this?

Brenda   February 2nd, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Prayering that all babies will survive and be healthly. I can't imagine a single parent with this enormous responsible."WE the people will be financially supporting these babies". Thirty- five years ago, I was faced with infertility. My husband & I was marrried for seven years; which was very stress full time trying to "conceived the natural way", was emotional roller coacher, & disappointments each month to discovered we didn't conceive. We  discussed the option of  in vitro fertilization considering the pros & cons.  We decided against the procedure due to following factors having "muliple births", health of the babies & mine, plus  financial responsibilities. Our decision was to adopt a little boy. He was a joy and what a blessing which enriched our lives.. " God is good" seven years later I conceived.           Brenda

Karl Font   February 2nd, 2009 9:36 pm ET

Great program tonight. Would the Christians and Pro-Life movement help the lady that had the eight children in addition to her saix already being "raised" by her?

CAROL MARASCIA   February 2nd, 2009 9:37 pm ET

what about the other 6, ARE we the tax payers paying for them also? I say no way. I dont want to support he or her children.

Joyce Jacoby   February 2nd, 2009 9:37 pm ET

I THINK THIS WOMAN WHO HAD SEPTUPLETS IS MY BUSINESS. LET ME TELL YOU WHY. IF THIS WOMAN IS TOTALLY SUPPORTING THESE CHILDREN I HAVE NO OBJECTION. BUT I AM FROM LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA AND GUESS WHO IS GOING TO BE FOOTING THE BILL. THE TAXPAYERS. THE MOTHER IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND THE DOCTORS THAT TOOK THIS CASE ON ARE ALSO PARTIALLY RESPONSIBLE. THESE CHILDREN ARE GOING TO RUN UP A MILLION DOLLAR BILL BEFORE THEY EVEN GET OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. HOW WILL SHE SUPPORT THEM I THINK WE ALL KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT AND WITH THE ECONOMY THE WAY IT IS IT IS NOT FAIR TO MAKE US THE TAXPAYERS FOOT THE BILL. I ALSO AM VERY CONCERNED OVER THE WELFARE OF THESE CHILDREN. THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE MULTIPLE HEALTH ISSUES AND WHERE IS THE FAMILY SUPPORT. I AM VERY CONCERNED AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO FOLLOW UP ON THIS WOMAN TO MAKE SURE THESE KIDS ARE PROPERLY CARED FOR.

Eugene   February 2nd, 2009 9:44 pm ET

When cloning our world starts to wonder how did we get here and why? Also is it really in our boundaries to clone, just like if we should genetic engineer cells...It's just wrong for us to clone because we could end up messing up our future with mutated people.

New York, USA
Eugene

Rosemarie   February 2nd, 2009 9:44 pm ET

Larry;

I was so upset when I heard the news about the 8 children. I believe that this is one of the reasons the country is in the shape it's in. She will have to be on assistance to care for these children, and who pays, all of us. The government, should put a plan in place to regulate and investigate the doctors who are licensed to do multipal births. We all have a problem with poppy mills, so how much different is this. Yes, she has family, but it was on the news, they also are on assistance also.

Jen   February 2nd, 2009 9:54 pm ET

Why hasn't the word ADOPTION come up? Why is this women spending soo much money when she could ADOPT? However, maybe it's because they would turn her down because she already has 6 kids. I do not understand why anyone has mentioned that. Maybe these kids should be adopted out so they could have chance in this world.

Tommy Alford   February 2nd, 2009 10:40 pm ET

Larry I respect you as much as Anybody on tv and If you want to pay for me telling my feelings great it may save my textile business. I wattch cnn every night. I can tell america what the goverment problem is but who will give me the chance. I agree to talk to you before we go on air but Ill promise you one thing whether cnn pays me or not Ill tell the truth and most americans will hear my feelings and I will tell your veiwers where our magor problems are and if I dont get a chance to tell the truth then I will stop watching cnn who I have the upmost respect. I can help this country If you give me the chance. I will give you a hint how can republicans and democrats vote the opposite on things that can help this country just because of political parties. You give me this opportunity and cnn will be glad they did. Thank you if you give me that chance Im not scared of the goverment or my views. Thank you for at least reading my request, You or cnn will be glad You gave me this chance to speak out for the mediam class of our beloved country. Tommy Alford.

Mike P   February 2nd, 2009 10:48 pm ET

Alex,

I'm not jumping to conclusions when I say she is going to be getting a hefty ( to say the least ) child support check. She is a single mom, living with her mom, and she has NO income. She must have taken the advice of her mexican nieghbors. Yeah, I said it!

Hillary   February 2nd, 2009 10:51 pm ET

Robert Lanza, scientific director of Advanced Cell Technologies. Yes, let's clone/reporduce stem cells. BUT What we need NOW is for the Medical Reasrchers to find THE CURES for the EXISTING DISEASES thats kiling so many people. Maybe this Stem cell research will be the breakthrough that will save so many worldwide and end suffering. We need to sore to our medical advancement potential.

Hillary   February 2nd, 2009 10:56 pm ET

February 2nd, 2009 10:51 pm ET
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Robert Lanza, scientific director of Advanced Cell Technologies. Yes, let’s clone/reporduce stem cells. BUT What we need NOW is for the Medical Reasrchers to find THE CURES for the EXISTING DISEASES thats kiling so many people. Maybe this Stem cell research will be the breakthrough that will save so many worldwide and end suffering. We need to soar to our medical advancement potential.

sean brizendine   February 2nd, 2009 11:01 pm ET

get ready for the sixth day

sean

ed ,vancouver canada   February 3rd, 2009 12:01 am ET

Taxpayers are bailing out banks,so why not 1.6 million dollars to raise 8 kids.Thats wholesale of course.
It is absolutely proposterous that the medical community and the government allow someone with 6 kids on assistance to generate this kind of liability.
The children should be given to families that will love and support them.
Either that or the father can pay 3000 dollars a month to support them.
How does one person look after 14 kids anyway?

MAGGIE   February 3rd, 2009 12:35 am ET

I wish this woman health and happiness to her family. However any person with any sort of a brain would have to say what the hell are you thinking??? Aside of what the media has created, one would have to say did she consider her other children, her family the medical staff, and her new babies . I am sorry to say that what should should be the most liberating day or days of your life has simply been turned into a mocary by one inconsiderate,unresponsible and selfish person.. Shame on her and shame on the doctor who let her inseminate herself. What the hell was he/she thinking. .Disgusting. Now lets wait to see when the money rolls in for her, people give her a book deal.. Come on, when people like us entertain her irresponsibilties the next headline will be that the baby's daddy will want to collect also.. Hello losers your children are your responsibilty, so does that mean if i choose invitro and have 8 children should i be up for a book deal ? Oh yeah thats right I would think that I would have a job, or have a partner who was willing to commit . Hey listen I am not saying that you always need to follow the conventional way, but honestly all I can say is what the hell were you thinking... grow up LOSER

ed ,vancouver canada   February 3rd, 2009 2:00 am ET

It is amazing to think what people will do for money.
It is sickening to see those live off their kids.
I have children and their money is their money whether it was from babysitting or a paper route.It is the value of working for reward.
When i was a kid i had a paper route and gave it all to my parents for 4 years.I forgave them, for they were from war torn europe.
When i became a parent,i realized how parasitic they were.
They are both gone and i do not buy them beer anymore with my paper route money.
Thank god i raised my kids different than these people.

ed ,vancouver canada   February 3rd, 2009 3:53 am ET

Cloning is a great idea.
We could create a whole league of sports players,and with reasonable wages,everyone could finally afford to go to a game.
We could all be immortal and disease free.
We could create a perfect army with one soldier.
Oh Oh. With NAFTA terrorists would be everywhere.
Bad idea.

sailormansea   February 3rd, 2009 4:54 am ET

Society is getting scary these days! Cloning humans? This is not natural at all in any sense of the word. It is going to be like opening Pandoras Box. There will be scientific repercussions and they will be severe. Be careful for what you once wished for, as it might be your doom. There are certain benefits of modern science that I certainly agree with and support, but this is not one. This is disturbing the natural selection of living things and that is not our work. That is Gods work and we should not play God as mortals. I am not a jesus freak so don't go there with me. I just believe in a God and I think we should respect that. I couldn't bear two or more little Dicky Cheneys running around. Now that should scare the Bejesus out of all of you all.

Mike P   February 3rd, 2009 4:43 pm ET

If were talking cloning, I'm sure all of the soldiers overseas would like to see somebody take their place. Maybe we can get some of John Wayne's DNA or better yet, some of The Big Show's DNA. I would pay money to see the look on the terrorist's face when an army of Big Shows and Dukes comes after them. But seriously no clones outright, just stem cell research.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter