CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 18, 2009

Sunday Morning – Getting ready for the Inauguration

Posted: 09:44 AM ET

We are having a special live Sunday show tonight from DC!!  We'll be talking about the preparations for the inaugurations, as well as checking in at some of the pre-inauguration festivities.

Dozens of major celebrities will perform on several nationally televised shows, as well as 10 inaugural balls the evening after Obama is sworn in as the 44th U.S. president.

The celebration will open Sunday evening on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial with a free concert so star-studded it's hard to choose a headliner.

Beyonce, Bono and Bruce Springsteen are on the list.

Other musical performers include Mary J. Blige, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, Herbie Hancock, Heather Headley, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, John Mellencamp, Usher Raymond IV, Shakira, James Taylor, will.i.am, and Stevie Wonder.

(READ MORE)

UPDATED:  Here's a great story on how DC's social scene will be changing with the incoming administration – Read it HERE

Filed under: Inauguration • Larry King Live • President-Elect Obama

Cecil Jones   January 18th, 2009 11:50 am ET

Anybody can be dismissed for a having a hidden agenda or ambition, but the works offered by an extraordinary individual cannot be ignored. Imagine if one person, not yet recognized by Obama, is responsible for this moment in history coming together? Wow! What a contribution to society and a self-less act. Why isn't that story being told if someone claims they are responsible and can prove it? Talk about the work of a modern day Dr. King going unnoticed by the media. Imagine if Dr. King didn't have media coverage?

Ivory Wilson   January 18th, 2009 12:38 pm ET

My plan for the Bail out is to hire more people at the tax collectors office. There are always empty desks so no more over head. If they can collect tax on every piece of property in the US they can collect data on the property owners that need help and submit it. Then we the US could buy those loans.The borrower must meet some requirments, and must be in need. The banks would get their money, there would be job opportunities immediately and we would put the money in the hands of the American people that need it the most. The borrower will have six months to come up with 2 months payments; a lower and fixed payment. The average American will spend a little more money because they are not afraid of loosing their home.The county will get their tax money because they have closed a loan.The US will get their money because they will hold the mortage. This is a win, win situation for everyone. I have more details for this plan ,it will work .
The auto bail out, give out vouchers to tax payers for a percentage of their gross income. Do the same for companys that would be considered a small business for the industry that they are in.

sandra from nyc   January 18th, 2009 1:55 pm ET

Looking forward to the concert, Larry! I'll be saying my Rosary while watching for our new Pres/Vice Pres/...God Bless America !...Enjoy the concert Larry w/your lovely family..maybe you'll be w/Mario Cuomo & family..I know you're the best of friends ! ...

karen   January 18th, 2009 7:29 pm ET

Hi Larry,

Love your show! I watched tThe HBO concert "We are One" today – it was absolutely amazing! U2, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, every performance and speech was extraordinary. But I feel really lucky,
because I have HBO. I realize that HBO offered the program feed for free, but if you don't have digital TV or a subscription to the network, you would not be able to watch this. That means most of the country did not get to see this incredible event. (only 32 million people have digital tv, the rest have analog).

I am wondering why this first star studded concert celebrating President Elect Obama was not televised for free on a network like ABC, CBS, or NBC or FOX or even CNN. How sad that the first day of these special week of celebrations is not available to all of America. I know this is has always been the goal of the Obama campaign – to include everyone – so why wasn't this broadcast for free so everyone could watch it? (like Live Aid?)

Larry I would be interested to hear your thoughts about this on your show tonight.

Barbara Culmer   January 18th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

great show tonight larry

Barbara Culmer   January 18th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

can't wait until tomorrow.....Larry

Barbara Aubry   January 19th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

When I say I never thought I would live to see us have
an Afican-American President, that's just what I would
mean I'm 73 years old and folks in my age bracket
do mean just that they never thought they would live
to see this wonderful happening. Thank you

Adrian Demos   January 19th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

It's going to cost a LOT of $ for this inauguration..who is footing the bill..and isn't it a lot to spend when we are in a financial crisis??

Jerome   January 19th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

After seeing Rev. Jessie Jackson on Larry King tonight. Nothing could be more beautiful than to see a photo of Pres. Barrack Obama and Rev. Jessie Jackson in an embracing forgiven congratulation to make up for paste misunderstandings. It is a time for forgiveness and healing.

George Boston Rhynes   January 19th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Dr. Martin L. King Jr., False Celebrations, Fanfare, Puff, Fluff, and other stuff but his real dream goes without implementation

Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Birthday, Life, and Legacy is being honored as usual across America with various ceremonies and celebrations as we see, hear, and watch television programs with great fanfare honoring Kings lifetime achievements along the lines of civil rights and his humanity to man.

But are we truly honoring Rev. King’s life and legacy or revealing our own failures by not becoming actively involved in Kings Dream solution for change the world over. Rev. King’s work went far beyond giving speeches, marches, ceremonies, fanfare, eating, drinking, playing excerpts from speeches, and feeding the poor for a day in the company of the rich and the famous.

Dr. King was dedicated to the very least among us, and inspired me to ream out from his dream, life, legacy, and claim to international fame not to play games with such a great American and world hero.

So I decided to transform myself into a voice, and lifetime commitment that would echo the ideals, and principles for which Dr. King gave his life for the good of humanity. His life and legacy inspired me to stop participating in the fanfare of giving speeches, radio broadcasts, making television appearances, and participating in marches on his birthday that lead to nowhere.

And when I realized that my activity and movement was not a true reflection of Dr. King’s Dream. I redirected my efforts, and joined Civil Rights Organizations, started challenging public officials to be true to their oath of office to the people they were elected to represent, I was arrested and taken to the Valdosta, Lowndes County Georgia Jail in an effort to be treated as equal citizens under our constitution, I started fighting for citizens in communities wherein unscrupulous employers allegedly mistreated citizens, and I started holding law enforcement departments accountable when citizens rights were violated, and taking a stand against Georgia’s unfair, “at will employment law” and Wal-Mart alleged mistreatment of employees at store #2615 in Valdosta, Georgia.

This “at will law” allows Georgia workers to be terminated for any cause and is approved by Georgia Legislators, while Georgia News Media along with Georgia Politicians have kept this law Georgia’s best kept secret.

But when my eyes were opened, I changed, and began respecting all religions of the world, standing up against politicians who pass laws against the will of the American people, and other community problems for which Dr. King gave his life.

I believe Dr. King deserves more than these routine yearly events that are in contrast of what King gave his life for in the 20th Century. Therefore we must stop the false ceremonies, fanfare, and become a true reflection of what Rev. Martin L. King Jr., gave every measure of life and breath for the good of all humanity.

GEORGE BOSTON RHYNES
Retired United States Armed Forces
A concerned citizen and brother of humanity

sasha thomas   January 19th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

god it is so great barak obama is president tomorrow i can hardly wait

melissa   January 19th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

the only blotch on the complexion of this historic inauguration is the presence of hollywood. They detract from the credibility of the president elect. Tell them to go away

sasha thomas   January 19th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

i know what you mean barbara it is soo amazing how far we have come from slavery to now it is to exiting for words

Rhonda "CdnSpirit"   January 19th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

As a Canadian with family roots in the US of A. I have lived to see the birth of a new beginning. Watching CNN and the festivities of this birth excite the world. We can all feel the pride that our American cousins feel. The excitement of the rest of the world is real. I personally wish I could be there to touch the glow of "History in the Making". Thanks for letting me feel this joy with you.

Rod Crichton   January 19th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

I'm as excited as the next person for the inaguration tomorrow, but why so much enphesis on the color issue.President Obama is just like any of us,a human being. A human with an oportunity to change all of us regardless of our color, gender or religious background. Can we please,one thing for all leave the superficial description of a person behind and concentrate in to the depth of their heart and soul.Let's celebrate this historic moment as one nation that believes and wants change, let's celebrate humanity, lets celebrate the fact that we have finally moved foward not just technologically but also spiritually, we have grown as humansand as a nation. This is not a victory for African American, this is a victory for our nation. We have shown the world that we have risen above our ignorance as a nation and that we believe in dignity and equality for all. We have finally become the true land of opportunity for all. God bless the United States of America and the world and everyone in it.
Rod Crichton.
Kalispell MT.

hmmmm   January 19th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

no other president in history has had the same epiphany as barack obama. should we question this biblically? as a women who is white with a black husband i undestand that my children are the same as barack obama. he isnt the first black african president, but the first mixed president. he is both races. the history known supreme race and the most hated race. he can really make a change because he understands both sides of a racial world that still exist today. just a word of thought, more to come

John   January 19th, 2009 10:12 pm ET

This is the greatest day in the history of our nation. Our country has elected a great president. We are blessed.

Maurice, Las Vegas   January 19th, 2009 10:58 pm ET

I feel like the loneliest person in the world. I served my country proudly for 20 years in the military. As I watch your show and The Larry King Show, I’m overwhelmed with grief because I did not vote and I’m not even a registered voter. I feel left out and ashamed that I had the opportunity to help make history and I did not. I do not qualify to be in a conversation with those who speak about President elect Obama. I sit in my room alone without my family because the grief and the tears are too much….

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter