CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

September 30, 2010

Movie star Tony Curtis dead at 85

Posted: 10:38 AM ET

(CNN) - Screen legend Tony Curtis died Thursday, his family said. He was 85.

"My father leaves behind a legacy of great performances in movies and in his paintings and assemblages," actress Jamie Lee Curtis said in a statement. "He leaves behind children and their families who loved him and respected him and a wife and in-laws who were devoted to him. He also leaves behind fans all over the world. He will be greatly missed."

Curtis starred in more than 140 major motion pictures and was nominated as for an Oscar for his performance in 1958's "The Defiant Ones" with Sidney Poitier, according to his official website.

Curtis also is known for his roles in the 1959 movie "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon and "Spartacus" in 1960 with Kirk Douglas. He also played the lead role in "The Boston Strangler," released in 1968.

Born in New York City in 1925 as Bernard Schwartz, Curtis grew up poor in the Bronx as his family struggled through the Great Depression. He took the name Tony Curtis in 1949 when he started his film career.

He was married six times, most notably to film star Janet Leigh.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Environment

john kerr   September 30th, 2010 11:21 am ET

Met Mr. Curtis when i was only 14 years old at a field trip outing at school in long beach back in 1967. Was so nice yo us kids. Still remember how he made a impression on me wiyh all his kindness.
I love his movies. In my thought and prayers.

MaryRM   September 30th, 2010 11:51 am ET

What a gifted actor, from the silly fun of Some Like it Hot to the gritty meanness of The Sweet Smell of Success. He left a wonderful treasure of film for us to enjoy. Rest in Peace.

Vicki Boston   September 30th, 2010 1:33 pm ET

Just recently, my friends and I were seeing SOME LIKE IT HOT.
A funny movie-
And I have also seen HOUDINI-a good movie too.
And I'm tickled that he did SUGAR -the musical version of
HOT.
Tony playing Joe E. Brown's character? Harlarious.
But like the character said,"Nobody's Perfect"..
RIP Tony. Thanks for those entertaining moments.

Rose   September 30th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

One of my favorite actors. Tony Curtis was undeniably sexy, gorgeous, talented and charming in form and speech. A true movie star as opposed to a celebrity.

Of course, aka "Stoney Curtis" on The Flintstones (Wilma's jaw dropping reaction to him said it all). Terrific in "Some Like It Hot" and "The Defiant Ones". One of the few stars left from "old Hollywood" is now gone. He was beautiful. Thanks for the great films. RIP.

maggie   September 30th, 2010 7:44 pm ET

A wonderful actor and artist....my condolences to Tonys family and may he rest in peace.

Charles   September 30th, 2010 9:37 pm ET

A great actor. RIP, Tony Curtis.

John H   September 30th, 2010 9:43 pm ET

Another milestone in my lifetime. Tony Curtis was one of the greats as I was growing up and his passing just reminds me of how much older I am getting. I always enjoyed his movies and am saddened by his passing. I hope that someday, I will meet him in the better place to which he has gone.

Debbie Totten   October 1st, 2010 2:52 am ET

rest in peace thank you for the memories

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   October 1st, 2010 5:47 am ET

I am so sad to hear of the death of Tony Curtis. He was a favourite Actor of mine and was he handsome. Loved all his movies and especially "Some Like It Hot" and "Trapeze". My condolences.

Rest In Peace Tony Curtis.
Thanks for the great movies.

Jerjol   October 1st, 2010 7:26 pm ET

Could of made it to 95 with a drug free existance.

WHO KNOWS

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter