CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 6, 2010

Rosie O'Donnell gets OWN show

Posted: 05:01 PM ET

The hosts of "The View" may want to watch their backs. Former co-host Rosie O'Donnell is returning to the daytime talk-show arena with a gig from the Queen of all Media, Oprah Winfrey.

Winfrey and O'Donnell announced yesterday that the 48-year-old comedian will host a fun, uplifting one-hour daily talk show for OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network beginning in 2011.

"Rosie is an undeniable talent who has captivated TV audiences for nearly 20 years," said Winfrey, 56, who will step away from "The Oprah Winfrey Show" after 25 seasons in September 2011. "She's a true original, who brings her authentic voice, dynamic energy and pure passion to everything she does."

"It's an honor and a privilege to work with Oprah Winfrey on her network," added O'Donnell, who nabbed six Daytime Emmys for her 1996-2002 stint as host of "The Rosie O'Donnell Show." "I'm excited to be back on daytime television."

Interestingly, O'Donnell may have been hinting at her new job when she criticized President Obama last month for visiting her former workplace, "The View."

Read moreā€¦

Filed under: Entertainment

LOUIS & JENNIE   August 6th, 2010 5:13 pm ET

WE'VE MISSED ROSIE..SHE IS HONEST, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET W/RO..& OPRAH RECPGNIZES THIS...HASSELBECK ON THE VIEW CAN GO GO ..IS SHE EVER GOING TO GROW UP ?...ROSIE IS DOWN TO EARTH..GOD BLESS ROSIE !..

Lucy   August 6th, 2010 7:29 pm ET

Great!

I loved Rosie's old show, loved her on THE VIEW, and look forward to her new show.

MARILOU   August 6th, 2010 9:28 pm ET

DO NOT KNOW WHY ROSIE CRITICIZED PRES OBAMA FOR VISITING THE VIEW..IT WAS A SUPER SHOW..WE LOVED IT,,IT WAS AWESOME...& SO WAS HE....

Hugh ~ California   August 6th, 2010 10:20 pm ET

Rosie is in "A League Of Her Own" and I applaud her for it. Go Rosie!

Caroline   August 6th, 2010 10:29 pm ET

Good God – Oprah actually likes Rosie? Good Luck Oprah – hope she doesn't bring down your network.

Terry - Washington State   August 7th, 2010 10:33 am ET

Hmn. I don't think we'll see the Rosie from the Rosie O'Donnell show. She's much more open about herself and lifestyle which I applaud her for. However, unlike years ago, she can be quite abrasive. Then, many talk radio show hosts don't sugar coat themselves and seem quite popular. Let's see how this translates to television.

Only reason I can understand her criticizing the President being on the View is, frankly.. Rosie still has a chip on her shoulder over the reason/reasons she left the View.

If she has an audience, she'll continue. Isn't this the way television runs. All by the numbers. I'll check it out and wish her luck as I would anyone like or not like that has a new opportunity.

Ted Wyche   August 7th, 2010 11:13 am ET

I think it is wonderful that Rosie is coming back to TV .. she has always
been a favorite of mine.. at least she is not afraid to speak her mind.. some don't like her because she can say the truth... she is in America
where you are free to speak the truth... but some of the Right just think
she cannot say what she thinks... she sticks up for many over time and
has a heart of gold... she would help anyone .. I just feel that.. so anyhow
Rosie.. Keep up the good work you have done over the years.. making
people happy..

Ted

Jason   August 8th, 2010 3:59 pm ET

I can not wait. I love Rosie and will watch her every single day. Closed minded people fear an outspoken openly gay woman like Rosie who can think for herself and challenge the conventional wisdom but Rosie also has a playful side and you never know which Rosie will show up but she is always fabulous. She is brave, she is brilliant, she is funny, and she has a heart of gold.

DOLORES   August 8th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

SHE'S A SWEETHEART..CANNOT WAIT...HER SHOW SAVED MY LIFE AFTER MY SPOUSE PASSED AWAY QUITE SUDDENLY,,THANK U, RO ...

Rose   August 11th, 2010 11:19 am ET

A "thank you" to Rosie for all the times she took on the ignorant Elisabeth Hasselbeck on "The View". A bit of sanity in the midst of Hasselbeck's uninformed idiocy and blind support of the Republican right wing war-machine and GW Bush.

It's disturbing to many that Hasselbeck still has a job on that show considering her continued ignorance. Apparently her good friend Sarah Palin is getting her own reality show about Alaska later this year. Palin is asking $1 million to $1.5 million "PER" episode. Milk it baby, milk it.

Perhaps Hasselbeck can join Palin on the show and both can "get lost" in the great wilderness of their own conceit. . . if only. Wishing Rosie all the best with her new show.

Jeramy Papin   October 24th, 2010 6:01 pm ET

Congrats Rosie I have missed you SOOOOOOO!!!!!

Lavon Watson   December 7th, 2010 10:29 pm ET

As a black guy who isn't gay. I have to be honest with you I am a huge Rosie fan from day onefrom the "Tommy can you hear me" to all the catch phrazes like" cute pa tootey". I used to run home from school and watch her shpw at 4pm. Then I was mad when she went off the air especially cause she wasn't canceeled. But Ellen filled the void for a while and I always caught her comedy acts. Or catch her hosting the Tonys. The view wIth Rosie was must see tv the whole show was watchable not just hot topics and the hour went by so quickly now i watch hot topics and turn the channel. I saw Rosie in Schenectady NY she was on tour with Cindi Lauper. I became a Cyndi Lauper fan that night and love rosie played drum and other instruments while Cyndi was playing and hey her comedy act wasn't that bad either, I said Rosie I love you really loud and shesaid I don't know who you are but I love you to. Priceless.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter