CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 27, 2010

Shawn Johnson stalker gets 5 years in mental facility

Posted: 02:21 PM ET

WATCH SHAWN JOHNSON ON LKL TONIGHT!

Via LATimes.com

A man convicted of stalking Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson was sentenced Tuesday to five years at a state mental facility.

Prosecutors alleged that Robert M. O'Ryan made his way from the Jacksonville, Fla., area to try to meet Johnson, whom he had an "obsessive desire to marry," and that he would do anything possible to accomplish that goal.

During the trial, Deputy Dist. Atty. Wendy Segall showed Johnson a series of weapons, including a shotgun and a large knife, recovered from O'Ryan's car after he was arrested when he jumped the fence last year at CBS Studios, where Johnson was taping the TV show "Dancing with the Stars."

After seeing the weapons and a series of photos that were in O'Ryan's possession, Johnson testified, "It made me feel really scared."

O'Ryan said in a taped interview with L.A. police detectives that he "never harmed anyone" but would use the guns, zip ties and electrical tape in his car to protect Johnson.

"She is a very important person ... and if I had opportunity to protect her, I would," O'Ryan said in the interview.

O'Ryan said he first began hearing the voice of Johnson, whom he nicknamed Sturdy Girl, while watching the Beijing Olympics on TV.

O'Ryan told Det. Jose Viramontes he communicated with celebrities using telepathy. He told detectives he had children with both male and female celebrities.

Filed under: Entertainment

Joe G. (Illinois)   July 27th, 2010 3:39 pm ET

Making sense of things can be shockingly crazy. And that’s why our best hopes better be tied off the Truth. Jesus Christ is Truth.

Jesus Christ is Love, and yet so many of us don’t see him, hear him, appreciate him.. And how can someone like Winona Ryder have no husband, no children? Did she not ever have someone out there crazy for her? (Not me.. At least not anymore.) And how can someone like Natalie Portman be without a husband or children? Is there not someone out there crazy in love with her? And if so.. Should he be locked up in an institution? Someone come forward and explain that!

chaney, La.   July 27th, 2010 9:15 pm ET

Stalking is such a vile crime, to all who have been victimes I admire you for speaking out....To Shawn and Erin, and all who have/are victims of this crime keep speaking out.

Pam   July 27th, 2010 9:55 pm ET

So what happens 5 years from now, when Shawn Johnson's stalker gets out of the mental hospital? Is there some sort of follow up by the state's attorney's office on offenders who are committed or convicted and sentenced? These victims have to live with the idea that their stalker will be out of jail or the mental institution within a relatively short time.

Julie   July 27th, 2010 10:01 pm ET

I am concerned about the gentleman on your panel . He seems to have an agenda by bringing up the idea that stalking victims need to hire security more than once. This is simply not possible for most stalking victims. If security can be hired, fine, but most of us cannot afford to do so.

Ralph   July 28th, 2010 12:54 am ET

I was defrauded by a woman for beucoup bucks and in trying to collect my money she accused me of being a stalker. All I wanted was my money, not her. It was a phony defense on her part. Real bad. I sure am not a stalker but I sure do want my money. Talking hundreds of thousands. No small amount, but sure is a big deal. Stalker bedamned.

PAULA BELLIVEAU   July 28th, 2010 6:11 am ET

You have no idea what it is liked to be the victim of a stalker. Always afraid and looking over your shoulder and behind your car. These stalkers are sick people and restraining orders do not help, the damage is done before the police even arrive. A Detective on our local police force said stalkers make it their lives to know where you are all the time and what you are doing. When I would come home to my condo if I saw the stalker outside I felt relief because I knew he was not in my unit!

When Shawn Johnson gets out of the mental hospital in 5 yrs, if not sooner, he will not have changed. They are dangerous people.

BESSIE IN USA   July 28th, 2010 10:41 am ET

I MAY BE OLD AND OUT OF THE LOOP. BUT I THINK SOMEONE BEING POTENTIALLY PUNISHED FOR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE, EVEN IF HE SAYS HE DID NOT MEAN TO, SHOULD GET AT LEAST AS MUCH TIME AS SOMEONE CAUGHT STALKING SOMEONE. IN I THINK HE SHOULD GET ALOT MORE SUCH AS IN THE CASE OF CONRAD MURRAY THE DOCTOR CHARGED IN THE HOMICIDE OF MICHAEL JACKSON. DON'T GET ME WRONG I'M GLAD THAT GUY WILL BE SENT AWAY AND SHE IS SAFE.

Collin Roberts   August 1st, 2010 10:03 pm ET

Never seen a stronger case in support of our 2nd Amendment right to protect ourselves. The lawyer on the show talks about several solutions including restraining orders, etc... B.S. That could be too late. The 2nd Amendment guarantees our right not to be a victim. What a joke...

Collin Roberts   August 1st, 2010 10:04 pm ET

How about protecting Ms. Johnson's right to not be a victim as stated under the 2nd Amendment.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter