CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 14, 2010

ICYMI: New Alleged Gibson Tape

Posted: 11:04 AM ET
Joyce   July 14th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Ever since Mel Gibson defected from "Hollywood's perception that the entire world wants only sexuallly explicit, filthy language and anti-God movies", he has been blackballed from Hollywood. "The Passion" shows his committment to being a devout Christian and it's staggering success only made "Hollywood" more determined to tame him and bring him to his knees. What was a private fight became public due to his fame-seeking girlfriend who probably deceived him by getting pregnant and using his money for her gain. She "sold him out" only to hurt him and she is the one in the wrong. What we say when we are totally enraged in our homes need to stay within our homes. She had no right to divulge their conversation & he did not permit the taping nor did he know about it. I'm sick of Showbiz Tonight, Larry King and CNN trying to destroy him. Enough is enough. Are you trying to contribute to his human right to be upset & depressed? Are you without demons of your own to deal with? Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Allow Mel to get back to what he does best – acting and directing. He clearly deserves privacy and for the press to leave him the hell alone!

Eileen Bryce   July 14th, 2010 12:55 pm ET

I heard one of the tapes on the news last night. I have to tell you the entire thing sounded fake. I am not a huge fan of Gibson right now but come on if she was not reading from a script then she has a serious problem hahaha.

LadyG   July 14th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

I don't feel sorry for this woman. As a domestic abuse survivor, I understand outright abuse. The fact that this woman was able to tape this alleged tirade, shows she wasn't actually being abused. Abusers watch you too closely to be taped, etc. She got more than she bargained for by first having relations with this man while he was married. This showed her (and, of course, his) lack of morality. She then further tried to seal the deal with a baby born out of wedlock. Basically, her gold digging is backfiring. The media is further perpetuating her scheme because of their own personal feelings for Mel. The statement that a man should, "never hit his woman..." are lost in lieu that she is not his woman but an objectified tramp who is only good for sexually exploiting herself (and now child) in any way, by any means necessary. Mel, "buyer beware!!!" Don't let the fake breasts, personality and looks fool you. You had a long term, sincere relationship, but "oh well," opting for beauty over realism could cost big.

LongNeckGiraffe   July 14th, 2010 1:04 pm ET

@Joyce. Neither Gibson or the girlfriend (Oksana) are innocent or admirable people, as far as I can tell from what I've read about them on news sites.

However, nothing the girlfriend did or did not do warrants or justifies Gibson's rage, consistent use of vulgar language, verbal abuse, possible physical abuse (he supposedly hit her in the face and knocked out some teeth), or the threats (he threatened on one tape to kill her and bury her in a rose garden!).

Gibson a devout Christian? I have serious doubts about that.

Just because someone claims to be a Christian, or just because someone does the occasional good deed, attends a church, or talks about Jesus, or says or does other things that most people would consider "Christian," does not necessarily mean that person *is* in fact actually a Christian (even Jesus Christ said so; please see Matthew 7: 20 – 23, in the Bible).

Also, considering that Gibson (based upon these tapes – and other, previous troubling incidents) does not appear to possess the qualities the Bible says a true Christian will possess (see Matthew 7: 16-18, Colossians 3:8, Ephesians 4:31, Galatians 5:22, 1 Peter 2:1, etc), I don't think that the man is even a Christian.

Gibson is obviously a troubled man, and I hope he gets some help.

Galatians 5:22-23: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Ian   July 14th, 2010 1:10 pm ET

I find it repulsive that Mel gets any kind of support , especially from a 'woman' like Joyce (probably someone from Mel's camp).
This 'man' is a hypocrite, alcoholic, racist, misogynist, serial cheater ,abuser and deadbeat father. She had every right to record him, abuse is very difficult to prove in court especially when the it comes to the rich and famous. Mel wanted shared custody of Lucia, that baby shouldn't be anywhere near him.
If Mel didn't want any problems then he should have stayed at home with his wife. He has been sleeping around for ages and it was a matter of time before one of his many mistresses got pregnant.
If Oksana was after his money then it's his problem, you get a fish according to the bait.
To say that if someone rapes her it would be her fault – as if victims of rape are bringing it to themselves is OUTRAGEOUS. If that's the case then we should be physically abusive to whomever we like because they 'provoke us'. Can i beat him up then ? Because he provokes me !!!
Noone deserves that kind of abuse, i don't care what kind of person Oksana is but noone deserves that. He choose her, he is a middle aged man who knows what he is doing , not some 17 year old naive boy.
Enough with excuses , HE HAS NONE.

Brandy   July 14th, 2010 1:40 pm ET

Mel Gibson is a very Successful Actor, Producer, and Director.
Gibson has made numerous contributions over the years and donated millions of dollars to various charities, such as "Healing the Children" and "NIDA." I personally feel that the dispute and ranting words coming from Mel to Oksana Grigorieva is rooted from his physical well being. He admits that he has a substance abuse problem with alcohol. It is a known fact that long-term alcohol abuse can affect the brain and liver causing confusion, anger, and other behavioral problems. I hope that Mel will get the help that he needs as he has helped many others....

Jill   July 14th, 2010 1:46 pm ET

I'm supporting Mel 100%. I'm beginning to think all the names he calls her on the tapes are true.

Oksana comes across as one mean, vendictive person. Her voice on the tapes are calm and rehearsed. She was provoking Mel, waiting to get a reaction so she can tape him. If she really was a victim, she would have gone to the police 6 months ago instead of releasing tapes to radar online.

joyce's odd choice   July 14th, 2010 1:47 pm ET

You have GOT to be kidding me! The guy is psycho. Even crazy idiots can make (really bad) movies about god.

ted   July 14th, 2010 1:54 pm ET

@Joyce.
You must be one of those fanatical Christian crazy people that believe Jews are the root of all evil. Mel Gibson is a piece of trash, anti-Semite, wife beating drunk. Please stop supporting him blindly. He really isn't a good person. Remember, he left his wife for this woman. I recall reading something in the bible about that being wrong... Maybe its just me.

Laura   July 14th, 2010 1:56 pm ET

You have got to be kidding me to justify what he has said and done. He should be locked up and away from his child to say the least. Someone with that kind of rage is beyond dangerous. NO ONE deserves to be treated like that. No kidding she didn't get permission! Think about it. HOPEFULLY he will not be making movies or acting anytime soon.

U.S. Nero   July 14th, 2010 2:25 pm ET

I totally agree with Joyce. You can't blame Mel Gibson for hurling death threats at the mother of his child or nurturing an obviously racist, sexist worldview.

If anything, it's HER fault for coming forward with this. And that's a problem I've noticed with battered women everywhere. They always want to let OTHER people in on their PRIVATE demeaning, horrifying situations instead of just keeping it to themselves and taking the abuse like they're supposed to.

And we all know what this is REALLY about. Hollywood has to assassinate Mel Gibson's character since he defected from their Godless world. I mean, when I think of Jesus Christ, symbol of selflessness and sacrifice for the good of mankind, phrases like, "You will smile and blow me" instinctively come to mind. And then the idea of transferring blame for despicable actions onto the victim and onto a greater society perceived as antagonistic. I mean, what WOULD Jesus do? That. He'd do exactly that.

Kathie   July 14th, 2010 3:55 pm ET

this is a very very sick dangerous man. as a victim of spousal abuse Gibson's behavior is unforgivable. Death threats and slurs spewed from his hate filled tirade. He should not be allowed anywhere near this child or her mother. hopefully, the movie industry will drop him yesterday. I do not understand how anyone can come to his defense.

gerald Jolly   July 14th, 2010 4:14 pm ET

The negative comments made by Shaun Robinson of Access Hollywood were made because she is black, and it is her way of castigating Mel for the slurs he made about black people.

Shaun is a graduate of HEATHCLIFF ACADEMY an all black school that does not allow white Americans to enroll in it's school.

LongNeckGiraffe   July 14th, 2010 4:28 pm ET

@Jill. I do not understand the people who are either for or against either Gibson or Oksana, 100%, all the way. This doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I tend to be a little more in favor of Oksana than I am for Gibson.

However, I don't sit around completely, totally absolving Oksana of any and all responsibility in the matter, so why can't Gibson defenders admit that he's got flaws too, or that his behavior towards her was not acceptable?

Admitting that Gibson's behavior was not classy does not mean an admission that Oksana is totally innocent or a totally great person (or vice versa).

I think *both* Gibson and Oksana have issues and have made mistakes, so I don't understand the people who come out either 100% in favor of either one (or 100% against one of them).

Cajazz76:24:8   July 14th, 2010 5:32 pm ET

Heard one racially motivated and bigoted blowout you've heard them all. It's time to put a NIX-ON it and allow the excitement to abate and let Marvelous Mel to get the help he denies himself.

Cajazz76:24:8   July 14th, 2010 5:44 pm ET

@LongNeckGiraffe

Mr.Gibson isn't going to find sobriety or resolve in a bottle of 'uncorked Jesus' or a jug of Lafite Rothschilds Christianity. He needs the care and commitment to a medical facility ordained in the sanctity of curing alcoholism. He is still in denial today, not blaming abuse of alcohol or drugs for his recent bout that has inebriated the tabloids.

Cajazz76:24:8   July 14th, 2010 5:59 pm ET

@LadyG

As an abuse survivor you DON'T feel sorry for Oksana. I see what you mean from the tape played on this blog where she was so vile and contemptuous toward the kind appeals of Mr. Gibson. To have anyone claiming abuse then taping such a conversation was equally vile and vain. It was so self-serving. Sort of kind a like a murder victim's blood detailing the finger prints of their "purported" attacker. Yes indeed, it's on the fringes of criminality to do that. She should just throw those gadgets away and take it like a man. Shame on that commie pinko surrogate sent as a spy by an undercover Commie nation to seek a market and sell off their surpluses of peanuts, popcorn, and cotton candy sugar. They'll do anything to make a buck on our civil "patriots" in the film industry.

charlie   July 14th, 2010 6:55 pm ET

Nobody set up Mel Gibson but Mel Gibson. And that's coming from a guy who supported Kobe Bryant, wanted the Polanski case dropped and cringes every time he sees Gloria Allred on TV.

He is accusing himself on those tapes. Nobody is falsely accusing him of anything.

Quincy G   July 14th, 2010 8:29 pm ET

U.S Nero, I totally disagree with your post. You can't blame Mel for throwing death threats against the mother of is child? Last time I checked that was illegal. People go to jail for that,
The only problem I see in regards to battered women is that too many don't come forward to report the verbal, mental and physical abuse they suffer at the hands of people just like Mel Gibson.
Mel's so called version of christianity is "Godless" as far as I'm concerned. He is an adulterer. He is racist. He is a wife beater. He is homophobic.
Enough said!

Quincy G   July 14th, 2010 8:30 pm ET

Would Jesus do That?
Enough said!

christine canada   July 14th, 2010 9:45 pm ET

It's obvious Mel Gibson has a problem – bipolar? personality disorder? alcoholism? – but he needs help. I am appalled at the lack of compassion for someone who most likely has mental health issues.
That Oksana woman gets no sympathy from me. She appears to be a gold digger who knows how to push his buttons. I agree with the bloggers who thought that she was reading from a script. She certainly didn't sound like someone who feels threatened.
I wonder what Timothy Dalton has to say about her.
This sounds a lot like the Michael Jackson accusers who ran to the lawyers instead of the police. Ulterior motives!

Cajazz76:24:8   July 14th, 2010 9:51 pm ET

How can you NOT idolize someone who started his celebrity career as a young and handsome cast member on an evening TV drama called 'The Sullivan's' in Australia, moved back to his country of origin, the U.S. of A., and starred in numerous leading roles, swept the Oscar's for 'Braveheart', commanded $25 million dollars per film; married Robyn Denise Moore and fathered 7 children, shared the cover of 'Time Magazine' with Michael Moore; had a tryst with a young Russian immigrant and divorced his family and remarried; fathered another child with his new bride; became a film producer and director; played Jesus Christ in Passions; built his own church; fell into a bottle to find his salvation; is the leading actor of an unreleased movie in which he plays the role of a suicidal CEO toy manufacture; was 'People Magazine's' sexiest 'Man of the Year'. He went from twinkled to wrinkled in 30 years from the effects of blood, liver, and brain laden alcohol and is currently starring worldwide as the 'Ass of the Year'. Now this is the kind of stuff that makes GREAT MOVIES...and star struck idolizing YOYO'S...

Did I mention his father moved the family to Australia for economic reasons when he was young and his father was smart enough to have the foresight to know he could avoid the draft during the Viet Nam War..the best thing that could have happened to him, even though the Aussies were active participants. Why, you may ask was it best for him? Because he could have ended up a manic depressive hooked on drugs and alcohol, then end up hurting himself and those he loved.

Instead, we have a REAL, true-to-life movie star. I read many times that many of you wonder why he doesn't have a pronounced Aussie accent...he is New York bred and bound by the American language. He was ridiculed as a youth in Australia for NOT having the cultural twang. Silly human...confused by his own successes, yet totally disadvantaged..

Claudia Scott   July 14th, 2010 10:08 pm ET

First of all none of us know the truth of the matter, just what we read and hear by the media. We don't know what precipitated the situation since we do not live with the couple.

The media needs to stop getting involved in peoples private affairs. I'm sure they wouldn't want the public butting in their personal matters, and what they do behind closed doors. It sounds like both parties in the relationship have issues to be worked on.

Cscott

Donald L Allen   July 14th, 2010 11:08 pm ET

yes this is Donald and if you Email me I want get it well I just thought you may need to no the thing is about acting I no very Little about it unless I,M doing it on my own then I,M very good at it you see the acting thing is me and if you need to no more about it let me no I can help ofcors you Have been at much longer than me but what do you no about me I mit be iny one see you Donald L Allen

Cajazz76:24:8   July 14th, 2010 11:56 pm ET

@Donald L Allen

You should submit applications to be the next CNN Larry King Live host.

Cali MJ Fan   July 15th, 2010 8:10 am ET

I was a huge Gibson fan *back in the day*. He was a great actor and the Lethal Weapon movies were among my all-time favorites. When TMZ broke the story about his tyraides when he was arrested ... and then later when for the most part, he confirmed those in various media comments, I lost respect for him. It sickened me to think that someone, him or anyone, could believe such dark things about another group of people. I went out of my way to NOT watch his movies, including my former favorite movies. Even hearing his voice made my skin crawl. I was just beginning to forget when these tapes came out.

Sorry Mel, black listed in Hollywood or not– you're black listed in my home. We will not support someone who has such venomous views of any group or race of people different than another. We were put here to help each other– not hate each other. Get help. Serious help.

cocovelvet   July 15th, 2010 10:08 am ET

What a sad,sad situation to happen between supposedly two parents of a small child. Why can't people normally find an amicable way of solving their problems without all these cat and dog fights which anyway end up publicly embarassing and humuliating them ??!!

Randy   July 15th, 2010 10:19 am ET

Seems like his movies are getting a lot more play time. So goes the saying any news in good news. $$$

Johanna   July 17th, 2010 6:39 am ET

I think that Mel Gibson is a great actor and what he did or didn"t do to her is a matter of the judge but i believe she provoced him because if this is all true than why didn"t she go to the police with this story sooner and i feel verry sorry for the baby.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter