CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 9, 2010

Queen Latifah talks about 'Just Wright' and growing up a Nets fan ‎

Posted: 04:25 PM ET

DON'T MISS QUEEN LATIFAH ON LARRY KING LIVE TONIGHT!

Via The Star-Ledger

Queen Latifah is a Renaissance woman in the truest sense. In addition to being a Grammy-winning recording artist and an Oscar-nominated actress, she’s a pitchwoman, an author, a businesswoman and a philanthropist. It’s mind-boggling how many titles that one can tack on besides, of course, Queen.

Once upon a time, she was also a B-baller. When she was Dana Elaine Owens, she played a little basketball on the Irvington High School team. Born in Newark in 1970 to Rita, a teacher at Irvington High, and Lancelot Sr., a police officer, Latifah spent her formative years in Newark and East Orange.

As we know, she did not pursue a career in basketball.

Through her acquaintance with D.J. Mark the 45 King, she met MTV host Fab Five Freddy, landed a deal at Tommy Boy Records and released her first album “All Hail the Queen” in 1989 when she was just 19.

Latifah remains a loyal New Jersey Nets fan to this day, as evident in this spring’s “Just Wright.” In the film, she plays physical therapist Leslie Wright, whose love interest is Scott McKnight (played by rapper Common), an all-star for the Nets.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Entertainment • Sports

Smith in Oregon   July 9th, 2010 5:12 pm ET

What a wonderful entertainer and a sheer pleasure to meet and talk with. I also recalling her kindness in posing for a photo and then having the extremely rare decency, respect and quality of waiting until the questions had been answered and her fans had been attended to and satisfied before leaving.

You just don't see that kind of respect and deep seated character very often.

Thank-you, Queen Latifah for your kindness and considerable musical talents.

Erica   July 9th, 2010 9:45 pm ET

Thank you Queen Latifah. I received some bad news today about my marriage. Your comments on God and faith came at just the right moment. I AM a Queen and in the future will be sure I am treated as such. God Bless you girl!!

Pamela Sims   July 10th, 2010 12:12 am ET

Love you Queen. Your faith is right on time!

Renita   July 10th, 2010 12:36 am ET

Love you Ms. Queen. I love your movies, and I really, really, love your cologne, simply called "Queen".....

Lavail Jones   July 10th, 2010 12:42 am ET

The Queen is a true inspiration! I would love 2 have the opportunity 2 meet her! Larry King should make that happen! If a movie is ever made about The Queen I would be the best person 2 play the part as THE QUEEN! Luv U Queen!

Tim   July 10th, 2010 5:57 am ET

I loved Queen in Set It Off! She is able to play any role but when she takes back to the hip-hop style, she's her best. Never will forget her roll in Juice either! That movie inspired me to become a DJ...Keep it real Latifah!

Teddy David Adu   July 10th, 2010 8:43 pm ET

Keep the good work my Queen....i really love you..

Mary Maude Henry   July 11th, 2010 1:28 pm ET

You cut my comment but I will repeat, the really heroic women are out there supporting their children when the partner dies or takes off, this woman IS, in spite of her fame and good upbringing-defensive-who needs it?

Caress   July 11th, 2010 2:20 pm ET

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter