CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 5, 2010

Tonight on Larry King Live!

Posted: 07:00 PM ET

TRUMP TURNS THE TABLE ON LARRY!

Donald Trump puts Larry in the hot seat

for a change and interviews him about

the show’s anniversary, his favorite moments

and 25 years of memories!

A very special Larry King Live!

Click here to vote for your favorite LKL Moment!

Filed under: Donald Trump • Larry King Live

Smith in Oregon   June 5th, 2010 4:30 am ET

One of the peace activists said that he witnessed some of the killings, and confirmed that at least "one person was shot through the top of the head from the hovering Israeli Commando helicopter above before it ever dropped off the Israeli Commando's.

This appears to confirm what other peace activists have reported and stated that Israeli Commando's opened fire with their machine guns and used lethal rounds from the hovering HELICOPTER before even boarding the ships. This totally exposes the Israeli version of firing their machine guns on the peace activists in self-defense to be absolutely false and an outrageous lie.

The Turkish forensic medical examiners should be able to determine if any of those murdered had entry wounds thru the top of their heads which would absolutely indicate a International Crime of murder took place on those vessels by the Israeli Commando's.

An Israeli activist on the French cargo ship reported that he asked the soldiers to take away the injured for medical treatment, but they did not, they simply left them bleeding on the deck and the injured later died on the ship.

Interpol Should be notified and pressured to press International Criminal Murder Charges against the Israeli Commando's and Israeli Officials involved in the murders and bloodbath of the peace activists on the Humanitarian Food Supply Flotilla for Gaza.

The International Crimes Appear to be:

Piracy, Kidnapping, Theft of Cargo, Torture, Murder, Liability for Deaths, Loss of Limbs and Eyes, Non-Proportional Armed Response, Covering up and Removing crime scene evidence.

gerald Jolly   June 5th, 2010 12:26 pm ET

GOD how THE DONALD loves public adoration.

Smith in Oregon   June 5th, 2010 3:18 pm ET

There are still 600 peace activists in Israeli detention, jails and prisons, only 50 so far have been released.

Here are just a sampling from those 50 peace activists and the murder and mayhem that many of them saw and experienced:

A peace activist described how a doctor and a journalist were both executed at close range, and said another activist was murdered as he was surrendering.

"I took off my shirt and waved it, as a white flag. We thought they would stop after seeing the white flag, but they continued killing people," he said.

Another activist described how the Israeli Commando's open fire with lethal machine gun fire from the helicopter before throwing stun grenades, smoke and gas canisters onto the deck of the French Cargo ship and rappelling down onto the ship. All of which appears to have been edited out by the Israeli soldiers filming the assault.

Another peace activist related how some Israeli Commando's used wooden batons and cattle prods in a completely indiscriminate manner on anyone they came upon in a brutal manner. They converged on the French Captain who refused to release the cargo ship's wheel and brutally beat him, he later was SHOT.

A peace activist filming the bloodbath was savagely beaten and then a Israeli Commando took his machine gun and the rifle butt was slammed against his face.

The Israeli Commando's seized all the civilian passengers cameras, laptops and cell phones including the above film makers equipment in a heavy handed attempt to cover up the murders and bloodshed.

During interrogation numerous peace activist's described being savagely beaten, hit by wooden batons and repeatedly shocked by cattle prods during their interrogation by the Israeli soldiers.

A peace activist said the ship was surrounded by small Israeli assault boats on Monday morning at about 0430 local time.

"Moments later, we heard detonations and then soldiers from helicopters above us dropped down on board.

"The soldiers were all masked, carrying big machine guns and were extremely brutal." He said he only saw three activists resisting on the entire French vessel. "The three had no knives, no axes, only sticks that they used to defend themselves,".

The French autopsy's appear to back up the claim of executions being conducted by the Israeli Commando's on unarmed peace protesters, 5 of the dead were found medically to have been murdered by a single shot to the head at close range.

Interpol should be pushed to charge International Crimes against the Israeli Officials and Commando's who planned and conducted this assault on the peace activists.

Interpol should be Charging them with:

Murder
Piracy
Kidnapping
Torture
Theft
Concealing a crime
Removing evidence of a crime
Inappropriate response of lethal force
Terrorism

CindyM   June 5th, 2010 4:05 pm ET

God, how I love giving Donald public adoration!

martina   June 5th, 2010 5:35 pm ET

My favorite show was when Willie Nelson was on. I love Willie. He is so down to earth. When both of them sang together it was great.

Harry S. Burton   June 5th, 2010 9:29 pm ET

Al Gore may have cleaned Ross Perot's clock, but NAFTA cleaned America's clock. Thanks Bill & Al.

Raul   June 5th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

Donald is a awsome host !!! but i cant stand looking at some of his buildings i wish there were more futuristic! but i live near the ones in aventura lol. i still admire him. and you to larry happy 25th anv. With all the new faces on tv and quick stories that people forget the next day its great to come home and watch your show .

Anne D   June 5th, 2010 9:56 pm ET

@Harry S. Burton,
You got that right!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   June 5th, 2010 10:02 pm ET

25 years – what a milestone and a lot of memories too. Maybe Donald Trump might take Larry's place.

poul.   June 5th, 2010 10:08 pm ET

well how time flies. i enjoy watchin ya larry. well i had my own ups and downs. well eim impressed. our ol fb announcer king jack. was cuttin meat at 85. then passed away. happe 25th larry king. i still do watch your show.

John West   June 5th, 2010 10:29 pm ET

Larry King's a dandy! He belongs to the pantheon of great commentators. H. V. Kaltenborn, Keith Heatherington, Jimmy Fidler, George Putnam, Gabriel Heater, Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow. My personal sorrow is that I don't have the clout (maybe his friend Michael Moore can) to reproduce the documentary, "The Bonus Marches," which chronicles the horrifying impact The Depression had on America. Why do I want Larry King? Because only King can say, "Brutha, can ya spare a dime?"

Tina Okrasinski-Smith   June 5th, 2010 10:41 pm ET

I was happy I saw the best of Larry King 25 years...What a great job you do..as only you can! Keep up the great work!

sandra vanderwood   June 6th, 2010 12:01 am ET

Larry you are a gem.

But the Donald was more about himself than he was in interviewing Larry. He just had to put himself forward at all times to the detriment of the interview. I didn't want to hear about Trump and who he likes and dislikes nor have him waste valuable time talking about himself. Or bragging about who he knows in the industry.

He's an American institution....and I guess you like him down there. I'm a Canadian and he just has too full of himself for me.

Hope   June 6th, 2010 12:57 am ET

I love Larry King and I think he is at his best when it is a more serious subject! Congratulations Mr. King! Looking forward to more of the same. Although I would like to say that "The Donald", was a bit overbearing! Too arrogant for my taste!

maggie   June 6th, 2010 1:12 am ET

I enjoyed the show Larry. One of my favourite shows was when you interviewed Jerry Lewis another icon ..love Jerry !! and of course the show on Neverland and Michael Jackson was outstanding.

Sue Milla   June 6th, 2010 6:01 am ET

Larry, Literally, you're the reason I would get out of bed for many many days. I have lived overseas for the past 30+- years. I saw a few episodes of the first 15 years of your program because CNN wasn't available in many places we lived. In 2000, we moved to Spain and you are on at 10 or 11 in the morning, and you became the reason for me to get back out of bed.( I sent the kids to school at 7:30 and the hubby, at 8:30, then back to bed.)
Well, at least for a while. Later , I made friends, became president of the International Club of Madrid, etc.
But Larry, I still will stay home just to watch your show. Sometimes I see it at (whatever) 2,3 in the morning. What I hate is if's never live, we get the shows a day late in the daytime at least. . Many times it is interrupted when something happen

Question: Who was your very first guest and why that person?

Joe Stahlman   June 6th, 2010 6:02 am ET

I watch your show when I get the chance Larry. I like your overall demeanor during your interviews but I question your sincerity. I laughed at your 25th Anniversary show with Donald Trump as it listed "Asking the Tough Questions". From my observations you only ask tough questions to non-celebrities, such as people who are on your show for a specific reason that are not famous or powerful. You appear to me to suck up to celebrities, politicians and wealthy people on your show. These are the people that should be questioned extensively. You don't just avoid "tough questions" but seem to grovel before them. This is what has kept you around for so long. You are good PR for them and they are good PR for you. But neither of you help the advancement of humanity in this context.

Nana Brown   June 6th, 2010 7:47 am ET

Love Larry King . Good Luck but can't you get someone else than other Trup on your show?

What is the difference between the Somail pirates and the Israeli defence forces? Somail pirates are seen as wild barbaric criminals while the Israeli's are allowed to get away with genocide of million Innocent people since 1947.
The Western world has forgotten that the UK, USA and Russia are responsible for starting this whole mess of Israel. They did not want European Jews to live in Europe or else there would have been a part of Germany a Jewish State. But, once again, greed over ruled logic and we "gave" the Jews land that belonged to the Arabs to cause an ongoing war that help the arm dealers. Then the Israelis took even more land once they got there and killed innocent people. Wouldn't you as a neighbor be ticked off too? It's time we detach from Israel. Why are we so afraid of Israel? So what secrets of all our leaders do they hold and blackmail our government. Enough is enough. We are not responsible for the Holocaust and we don't know the truth behind it either. Lets get some facts right Hitler was not a Muslim or Christian but his father was Jewish. Our leaders are are weak, powerless and yes corrupt to stand up to Israel.
What would have happened if Hammas had stormed an Israeli allied ship and killed innocent unarmed people ? Israel have killed more Muslims than the Holocaust since the birth of Israel. Shame on the world community and shame on our leaders and our media .... it's injustice that's causing our wars .
Oops CNN ! have I broken any house rules ? Free and balanced media is a good thing.

Donald W. Murphy   June 6th, 2010 8:34 am ET

Larry –
Why do you have trouble believing the Virgin Birth? Do you believe the burning bush was not consumed by fire? Do you believe the waters were parted? Do you believe Shadrack, Meeshack, and Abendigo were preserved in the hot oven? Why is the Virgin Birth harder to believe for an all powerful God to accomplish?
Bill Murphy, Virginia Beach, VA

Dr Raymond L. Harmon PHD   June 6th, 2010 10:01 am ET

I have designed a failsafe plug that could be installet at the top of the BOP and would eliminate the surge of contamination that BP can or will not eliminate as they are all bout capturing what ever oil they can in total disregard of the environmental damage.
My design consists of a steel conical plug that would fit into the 22" pipe. With the weight of the plug abd the 5,000 feet of pipe that would lower it into position it will accomodate any irregularity of the pipe cut at the BOP.
Very easily fabricated. I can email a copy of my design if you give me an email that would allow an attachment.
Dr Raymond L. Harmon
503-302-0420

Marla Rubin   June 6th, 2010 9:15 pm ET

Wishing Larry King a hearty "Mazel Tov" on 25 years of talk television.
As Larry King always says, Keep on keeping on!
Watch you every night, and enjoy your guests,great television.

adela   June 6th, 2010 9:36 pm ET

Free Gaza!

JamesB   June 7th, 2010 10:17 am ET

Thanks, Larry, for the interview with Donald Trump. I always enjoy seeing him on the program and hearing his perspective on issues but it was a nice this time to see him interview you.

Donald L Allen   June 10th, 2010 2:09 am ET

yes Larry and Donald trump what I said was you can not trust the Media you no and I do not no way Andersen said so I think it about A job not to work four sum one I just want a Job in the Fame Line I don't need to let the Hole world no every thing I,M doing here what do you two think so on with what I,M Genia do with it what or you two Genia do with it I don,t think I wood be to good four the Live Bug you no it not my thing I think not well you tow be good see you I,M get marred what do you think I,M a old man and I don,t care what can OBAMA do to mak his word better you no what

Gary in DFW   June 27th, 2010 4:17 am ET

I think the BEST interview that Larry King has ever done was with Ray Charles when Ray was cured of his blindness!!! That's right, Ray Charles proclaimed repeatedly "I see! I see! I see!" during an interview sometime in the late 1980s or early to mid-1990s. I can't remember exactly when it occurred, but it has to be on tape somewhere. It was astounding! Such a miracle and LIVE on TV for the world to witness!

Larry had been asking Ray Charles the usual questions, then opened up the phones for questions from listeners. One caller asked a question that was a little difficult for Ray to hear and to understand, so Larry was paraphrasing it for Ray. And, there as the camera aimed at Ray, he began to understand the gist of the question, and, proclaimed to the world that he had been cured of his blindness, and, said repeatedly, "I see! I see! I see!"

I really do wish that I had been taping that interview that night!!!!! It was miraculous and fabulous to witness such an event!!! THAT night has to be the VERY BEST in the 25 years of Larry King Live!!!

tommy boylan   July 5th, 2010 7:09 pm ET

Have Bill Mahr replace Larry and you'll get rating from those who love him and those who hate him. This a no brainer !

Smith in Oregon   July 5th, 2010 7:45 pm ET

CNN appears to be echoing the crass and entirely false mantra that 'Fusion Energy' is 'Green'.

Just as found in a common fission nuclear power plant, the huge Reactor Vessel itself becomes radioactive after being bombarded for years with high levels of highly energetic Neutron particles and requires total replacement, stored in a radioactive disposal pit which prevents human contact for 1 Million years.

Yes, there seems to be a very large amount of utter ignorance in regards to painting 'Nuclear Fusion' as Green Energy.

Nuclear Fusion creates an extreme amount of very energetic Neutron streams which would over a very short time kill everyone in the vicinity if it were not very heavily shielded. Ok, heavily shielded, got that.

AND after a year or less of being blasted by highly energetic Neutron streams the very large and extremely heavy duty reactor vessel would become radioactive itself. Ok, how radioactive?

Low to medium radioactive. A commercial Fusion reactor vessel would weigh many thousands of TONS. Consequently you would end up dealing with thousands of TONS of low to medium radioactive WASTE when retiring or replacing the reaction vessel every 5 – 10 years.

Replacing it? Yes, years of blasting the hell out of the reactor vessel (Fission or Fusion based) with streams of Neutron particles blasts microscopic holes right thru it, weakening it and forcing it's replacement over time.

How GREEN are Fusion Reactors on a commercial scale? Not that GREEN. You STILL end up with thousands of TONS of radioactive material to store away from all human exposure for 1 Million years.

Fusion Reactors are not GREEN, class Dismissed.

vic nashville tn   July 5th, 2010 9:08 pm ET

Hi Larry

You are leaving CNN it was shocked to me . I watched show first when I was working in abroad
Are you dumping CNN family ( millions here and around the world ) ?

You will be in our heart we won’t forget you even we die

Terry   July 5th, 2010 9:13 pm ET

I admired you so much when you interviewed the wife of the man who was incorrectly suspected of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart. She was a very simple, poor woman – but you treated her with so much dignity – and I was very moved by your kindness towards her.

Terry

Dodie   July 5th, 2010 9:23 pm ET

Bill Maher brings clarity and humor with many controversial topics. He is true to his convictions.
I fully enjoy his banters!!!

Larry King interviews with 'Nobility"

The infamous Marlon Brando "Kiss"

Bonjove938   July 5th, 2010 9:33 pm ET

Larry, your show tonight is wonderful, terrific, awesome, and just outstanding. Thank you very much. You are truly the best………

Dodie   July 5th, 2010 9:46 pm ET

Excellent show!!! Donald Trump and Larry King taking that proverbial walk down memory lane. Oh what a memory... well maybe at this age, oh what a lane!

Lecy Sa   July 5th, 2010 9:49 pm ET

Hi Larry, you are my favorite host on tv. I admire your way of talking to all kind of people. Please don't let Donald Trump to sit on your chair ever again. He looks very unconfortable , angry and doesn't read well.
What a disaster!! I love you, please stay.
Lecy

jack   July 5th, 2010 9:53 pm ET

@Smith in Oregon

That seems to be very risky.

Smith in Oregon   July 5th, 2010 9:54 pm ET

The Nation of Turkey should totally severe any and all ties it has made and built up with Israel over many decades.

Turkey should immediately ban all Israeli flights in Turkey's airspace and call upon Russia to supply Turkey with its advanced medium range S-300 anti-aircraft missile battery's in case Israel goes rabid on Turkey again.

NATO should be demanded by Turkey and other NATO country's to immediately move to punish Israel as per the NATO treaty which entirely makes it clear that attacks upon a NATO nation is an attack upon all NATO nations.

International and NATO laws dictate and are very clear that attacks upon a NATO flagged ship in International Waters is the same as an attack upon that nation of that ship. The NATO treaty demands a heavy response against Israel.

Turkey should demand Interpol and the International Courts charge Israeli Officials with International Crimes of Piracy, Execution of its citizens, Theft of it's NATO flagged vessel and supplies on the high seas in International Waters, Torturing it's citizens and Attempting to cover up the evidence of International Crimes against Turkey.

Catherine Cordes   July 5th, 2010 9:55 pm ET

I can trump the Trump!

Best Larry King moment for Donald Trump when Martha Stewart came on the show before going to jail.

If there was a person who wanted to address Lionel Richie on @ 9:49
would you not validate to save face or would you want clarification?

Nothing but the Truth

Smith in Oregon   July 5th, 2010 9:55 pm ET

@ jack, could you further expound on what you mean by 'could be risky' in regards I'm assuming to my lengthy response to CNN's and other's touting Fusion Reactors are 'Green'?

jack   July 5th, 2010 9:56 pm ET

@Dodie...I really like Bill Maher too. I wish he could take over the Larry King hour after Larry retires.

Marlon Brando was a great actor, and apparently was quite a character out of the movies as well. Wonder what other guy could have done that kiss with Larry, and pulled it off so smoothly. LoL

George   July 5th, 2010 9:58 pm ET

Larry is great. Trump is a buffoon. RE: Comments about 9/11 as if U.S. had not done same thing. How many innocent people in rice paddies were incinerated by U.S. How many people in "office bldgs." in Baghdad were killed in the Bush/Cheney "shock & awe"? Would love to see "the Donald's" grades in history.

jack   July 5th, 2010 9:59 pm ET

@Donald L Allen...Funny!

Jen   July 5th, 2010 10:01 pm ET

Hi there
This should be good Larry reversing the rolls there., However.....Larrrry we need you to come on back and be apart even if your hanging out at home with the kids and wife...by the pool : ) Just do the show from there .....kind of add some humour and challenge the people to find out where your at. Mr Trump hasn't time for this position....its a position that needs someone who is focused on the people young and older and most of all the basic people who don't own places or people and things ...just basic people working or not and tryiing to get by...not worried about what suit or tie they're wearing the next day. lol God how I wish I could have those worries back of what dress will I wear out tonight!!! If we don't focus on topics that relate to everyone and their everyday issue's.... then your leaving a lot of people out. We the people out here in viewer land love the way Larry is basic at times can related to the tough times ....so we need more of that at the Larry King desk. I hope that Larry and the station there can ...realize the need and by the way ... commercials with your backdrop there are noticed on tv ...is this allowed?

jack   July 5th, 2010 10:23 pm ET

@Smith in Oregon...Yes, I was referring to the dangers of the fusion reactors. Doesn't sound like they may be all that green after all, when all that dangerous waste is taken into account. And that is if every thing goes smoothly, and there is no meltdowns. The more of them in operation the greater the risk of an accident.

Stephen J. Dunn   July 5th, 2010 10:41 pm ET

Great show. Donald Trump did a great job interviewing Larry.

Larry's comment that "we love irreverent people" helps explain why Larry's ratings have fallen and his show is headed off the air. Most people believe in God and do not like irreverent people. Egotism and arrogance seem to accompany irreverence. These are not endearing qualities. Bill Maher is a salient example. Maher is a buffoon; I cannot tolerate him. Perhaps one in five of Larry's guests is someone I want to hear from.

Best wishes in your future endeavors, Larry.

Smith in Oregon   July 5th, 2010 11:35 pm ET

It is entirely typical for CNN to show the Louisiana Parish Swamp Presidents and Big Oil Republican politicians Jindal and Barbar jumping up and down in wanting and urging more response to the enormous Louisiana BP Oil gusher.

And yet, it's a resounding Louisiana Hell No to Americans including President Obama requesting a temporary moratorium on ALL deep Ocean Oil well drilling off the Louisiana shoreline until the present Louisiana fiasco is taken care of.

Yes, Louisiana citizens across that entire State are loudly cheering the Big Oil connected Louisiana Federal Judge which overturned Obama's temporary moratorium on deep Ocean Oil drilling.

Louisiana appears entirely anxious for American taxpayers to pony up another 100 Billion rescue dollars after just spending 100 Billion in the post Katrina effort AND yet, Louisiana appears to not want to change the sub-sea level plane in New Orleans, and Louisiana appears to not want to have regulations and restrictions on Big Oil offshore drilling.

American taxpayers are quickly losing their compassion and sympathy for Louisiana if Louisiana continues their utterly reckless practices.

Smith in Oregon   July 5th, 2010 11:45 pm ET

@ jack, yes thank you for that clarification. Burying several thousands of tons of low to mid level radioactive material for 1 Million years is nothing new but it certainly in no fashion should be buzzed by CNN and other's as 'Green'.

Although it appears a working (thus far there are no sustainable long term man made fusion reactors) fusion commercial reactor could be almost immediately shut down via the collapse of the magnetic constraining bubble, when operating they like any nuclear reactor spew out huge amounts of neutron radiation. And there must have heavy duty radiation shielding or a serious health danger exists to everyone in that area and likely a sizable distance from that Reactor Vessel.

Nuclear Reactor shielding on US Naval Ships and Commercial reactors across America are nothing new, however if a radiation shield on a Fusion Reactor slipped, failed or was inadequate then you'd effectively have the same result as being exposed to a 'Neutron Bomb'. Such a horrible fate is certainly not 'Green' in any civilized sense of the word 'Green'.

Meg   July 5th, 2010 11:45 pm ET

I do not understand the popularity of Donald Trump...to me he is a very egotistical man,who needs his name on every product he sells. It seems to me if he doesn't like you watch out!!!!! I thought at 1 time he & Martha Stewart were such buddies...what happened???? Bill Maher to me is another person whose ego is atad inflated & thinks he 's one of the most knowledgeable humans on this planet....I used to enjoy his humour BUT now if you don't agree with him he classifies you as unintelligent. I guess he doesn't believe in Freedom of Speech because if a person is religious they are stupid, etc. Who made him head honcho...to me some of his ideas aren't so intelligent but since there is Freedom of Speech he is allowed to spout off!!!

jack   July 5th, 2010 11:51 pm ET

Now the oil is washing up on Texas beaches. Wonder how,TX Rep. Barton, who made his big apology to BP likes that? Or does he even care? Those big campaign contributions and stuff seem to help some politicians turn a blind eye to an ecological apocalypse.

jack   July 6th, 2010 12:11 am ET

Larry, you handle yourself very well on the other side of the interview, as well. Interesting show.

Terry   July 6th, 2010 12:35 am ET

Do not recommend Donald Trump take over when Larry King leaves. Mr. Trump makes his opinion known after the interviewee answers every question. As an example, he will say "That is the way I feel" or "I believe that is correct". The goal is to allow the guest to take the spotlight. He just said, "believe me, I know a lot of them".
Best wishes Mr. King and thank you for all of the great interviews. Hope you can fulfill all of your desires and goals.

Jo-Ann   July 6th, 2010 12:48 am ET

Hi Larry,
Boy am I going to miss you. Wanna know the best guest I think you ever had? Lynn Redgrave. She was smart, interesting, articulate and she had learned so many lessons in life. Great lady.
Best wishes to you and your family in the future. You have brought me so much over the years. Thanks.

estelle morris   July 6th, 2010 12:59 am ET

why so smug in such great history? If it were your land In the Gulf, you would help to defend it, and so would Larry. It will hit Cail, NYC and Europe, so try not to be so laxidixical on the ocean making it"s movements. Obviously, people did not help out enough last time

IKHAN   July 6th, 2010 2:34 am ET

Hi Larry,
Hi folks.

According to Israeli news paper Haaretz,Benjamin Netanyahu declared on April 16,2008 in a speech that >

9/11 has been very good for Israel."We are benefitting from attacks on Twin towers & Pentagon and America struggling in Iraq".
Its a shame that we Americans welcome this man on our soil and see our leaders & politicians falling over each other to shake his hand.
Let the families of the victims of 9/11 stand in the reception line too.

Smith in Oregon   July 6th, 2010 4:11 am ET

Republican political steps in their attempt to close an open and liberal society:

1. invoke an internal and external threat
People who are afraid are willing to do things that they wouldn’t otherwise do.

2. establish secret (unaccountable) prisons where torture takes place
In a secret system, the government does not have to provide any proof of wrongdoing by those it holds, so it can incarcerate anyone it wants.

3. develop a paramilitary force
A private military force — under the exclusive direction of the “commander in chief” with no accountability to Congress, the courts, or the public — blurs the line between a civilian police force and a militarized police state.

4. surveil ordinary citizens
People who believe they are being watched are less likely to voice opposition. To scare a population into silence, the government need only monitor the activities of a few to make everyone fear that they are being surveilled. Every closed society keeps a “list” of so-called opponents it tracks.

5. infiltrate citizen’s groups
Spies in activist groups put psychological pressure on genuine activists by undermining their trust in one another. They may also disrupt legal activities, undermining the effectiveness of group efforts.

6. detain and release ordinary citizens
Detention intimidates or psychologically damages those arrested and also lets everyone know that anyone could be labeled an “enemy combatant” and “disappeared.”

7. target key individuals
People are less likely to speak out when those who are highly visible, like journalists, scholars, artists, or celebrities, are intimidated or have the livelihoods threatened. Targeting those who are especially visible makes it less likely that people will speak out and robs society of leaders and others who might inspire opposition.

8. restrict the press
The public is less likely to find out about government wrongdoing if the government can threaten to prosecute anyone who publishes or broadcasts reports that are critical of the government.

9. recast criticism as espionage and dissent as treason
People who protest can be charged with terrorism or treason when laws criminalize or limit free speech rather than protect it.

10. subvert the rule of law
The disappearance of checks and balances makes it easier to declare martial law, especially if the judiciary branch continues to exercise authority over individuals but has no authority over the Executive branch.

Donald   July 6th, 2010 4:19 am ET

Twenty five years has gone by like a flash Larry, congratulations. And congratulations to your guest host "the Donald". Do you plan to make changes to your show on cnn?
About the oil spill in the Gulf. We would like to make suggestions on how to stop the flow of oil, but first we need a scale drawing of the "well head" showing the casing, flanges, etc. Bye.

Smith in Oregon   July 6th, 2010 4:55 am ET

Every night, CNN's Anderson Cooper has a duo of angry Parish Presidents expressing their anger about the ongoing Oil recovery and clean-up efforts. Unfortunately this totally one sided view is entirely lacking in actually informing the CNN viewers on the background of decades of Louisiana's favoritism to Oil and Gas drilling has been to destroying those marshes.

What the angry Louisiana Parish Swamp Presidents are not telling the American public is that since Oil and Gas companys began dredging the marshes for Oil and Gas wells decades ago, Louisiana has lost 2,000 miles of wetlands and marshes.

Where were those Parish protectors all those years as big Oil destroyed 2,000 Miles of marshes. This year in March 2010 before the Louisiana BP Oil gushing disaster, President Obama began the First comprehensive Louisiana wetlands plan to help repair thousands of miles of Louisiana marshes that already were destroyed before the Louisiana Oil gusher even began. President Obama is the first President to directly address the disappearing marshes in Louisiana directly due to the dredging for Oil and Gas wells and yet those Parish Presidents appear to be slapping Obama in the face now for his efforts?

It is a complete lapse for CNN's Anderson Cooper to not inform its viewers that extensive damage to Louisiana's Marshes have occured directly by the Oil and Gas exploration in Louisiana long before the latest Louisiana BP Oil gusher in the Gulf of Mexico. Where were these angry Parish Presidents during all the past decades as 2,000 Miles of these same marshes disappeared?

Jasna Zagorac Simonovic   July 6th, 2010 5:48 am ET

I cannot believe, Mr Larry King, that you are going to retire before I made it to your shaw, even that I deserved...I think...

You are going to miss a very important issue...a "new American star"...Serbia...Sometimes the crown to "kingliness" comes in the end..."Branded suspenders" are not enough for such a contribution to worldwide information you have provided for "all of us"...

God bless this message...

Idzan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia   July 6th, 2010 9:08 am ET

I really would like to meet Larry King one day, even if he no longer helms the show.
From what I read from one of his ex-wives, Larry does not have a mean streak in his bones.
I tend to believe it. I think Larry's nice.

FRANKQUOPHY from GHANA   July 6th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

i am sharing tears of joy and at the same time in pain because it has been always a great time watching Larry king's show even when it happen for me to stay late because in Ghana we watch it at around 11 AM every time but that is not the most painful one for me but i am in pain because it has always be my dream that one day i will get an opportunity to be on the show and just at the pick of my career when i happen to produce and direct my first feature film here in my small way last year and hoping to improve and let my talent make an impact for me to get the opportunity that Larry King is quitting and i found it difficult to believe that that aspect of my dream will also be cut short after loosing one of my dream heroes i want to meet alive like Micheal Jackson. as at now i don't know what to say but all the same i just want to thank Larry King for a great work done over the years. i have not started watching him from the beginning but just 10 years ago that i start to read about him on the internet and listen to him both on the net and on TV. Gook luck Larry King, May the good Lord our God continue to grant you wisdom to create platform for us the young ones to follow.

RC GRANDPA   July 6th, 2010 12:07 pm ET

TO ALL PARENTS OF AMERICA SEE MY TWITTER AUTISMSURVUVE
WE HAVE BEEN LIED TO FOR THIRTY YEARS AND I CAN PROVE IT
DO NOT BGIVE YOUR BABIES OR CHILDREN AMOXICILLIN OR ANY MEDS RELATED TO AMOXICILLIN. THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL FAMILIES THE PRODUCTION OF AUTISM WILL STOP IN THIS COUNTRY READ MY BOOK. THE BUCK STOPS HERE OUR GOVERNMENT HEALTH DEPT HAVE HARMED OUR CHILDREN LONG ENOUGH MR. PRESIDENT OBAMA I KNOW AUTISM IS NOT ON YOUR AGENDA BUT OUR AUTISM CHILDREN ARE THE LEADERS FOR TOMORROW YOU MUST STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND CHANGE THESE LAWS THAT ARE HARMING OUR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM. NO MORE LIES THE PRODUCTION OF AUTISM WILL STOP SO HELP ME GOD! I WILL PROVE TO YOU THAT FOR 30 YEARS OUR GOVERNMENT HAVE ALLOWED AND HARMED OUR CHILDREN. I WILL MAKE IT MY LIFE TO PUT AN END TO AMOXICILLIN ON BABIES AND CHILDREN. GO TO MY TWITTER AND PLEASE MR. PRESIDENT READ MY LETTERS FROM RC GRNDPA OF FLORIDA. FAMILIES ALL OVER TWITTER WILL HEAR MY MESSAGE TO STOP GIVING THEIR BABIES AMOXICILLIN ONCE AND FOR ALL. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH HOW MUCH MONEY IS ENOUGH ON THE HEALTH OF OUR CHILDREN? I WILL PUT AN END TO AMOXICILLIN AND OUR BABIES SO HELP ME GOD! GO TO TWITTER AUTISMSURVIVE! GOD BLESS AND PROTECT OUR AUTISM CHILDREN 1in 90. I SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING YEARS AGO MAY GOD FORGIVE ME FOR THAT!!!!

Mitch   July 6th, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Larry does Seem like, well, a nice guy. But for me he has the charisma of a nickel. Seldom if ever were his interviews meaningful.

I wish him luck. And I hope that any replacement is meaningful, fun, interesting and void of any political leaning. Sick & tired of politics, and the campaign to down grade the "other side."

The split of the American people is, well, another war. If most politicians knew how little they were respected they' up and quit. Thus far I can not find any problem with that path.

MC

Sharon Middup   July 6th, 2010 2:33 pm ET

I didn't have time to watch Larry King last night and had to tape the show. After just finished watching, I must say, Donald, you did a great job. Larry you are always fasinating, I just wish it was a 2 hour special and not 1 hour.

Dodie   July 6th, 2010 3:38 pm ET

@ jack

I heard on the news yesterday about the oil in the form or tar balls now on crystal beach Texas giving it easy access to the Galveston bay area. Talk about a tragedy. I also have noticed the volunteers are not being utilized. (Shaking my head) what will it take for BP and the government to authorize and utilize all those that want to help with the clean up?

The oil leak is a tragedy, but not approving of help from outside and keeping the “cover-up” is a catastrophe!!!

I love Bill Maher. I would still like to see him have his own program on CNN tailor made to his abilities instead of just a replacement for Larry King!

Dodie   July 6th, 2010 3:44 pm ET

Smith in Oregon

Thank You for supplying us with information pertaining to "background noise" within these states.

The states that are suffering from the oil leak also have major investments in the oil companies and business. It certainly creates a dichotomy between the financial holdings within the state including employment and the disaster to their environment! There is certainly no easy solution or fix to this situation.

Ph.D. Kim Chong-ok   July 6th, 2010 4:43 pm ET

Dear Larry King,
I really don't want to release you, but I have to say good bye. during for a quarter of century you've been thrilled,excited,passionate grief, joy, and hope to the uncountable people. you have a great great job. and I never forget the simbol of your a shulder strap. Good bye!

Sincerely yours,
From Seoul Korea.

Meldoy   July 6th, 2010 5:14 pm ET

Dear Mr. King,
You have graced the TV with your strong presence for many years. Exposing Americans to so many diverese people and ideas. I'm so proud of you as one of our spokespersons and look forward to seeing what you will be getting involved with in the future. Good luck to you.

I also wanted to put my vote for your replacement. I know you think that Ryan Seycrest would be a possible choice but that is like asking the Prom King to interview our political leaders or headliners of the world. Remember Mr. King your show is viewed around the world a greatly respected.

My vote is A.J. Hammer. He is a intelligent man who is very bright and has a calm classy non judgmental presence about him. I feel he would provide just the right appeal but steady character you need to carry your show and the path you have blazed. I feel he has hidden talents and abilities I think that you and your staff should take a look at. I have a good eye for these things so just consider looking into this untapped (the show he does only scratches the surface of his abilities) talent. Thank you, Melody Moravec

michele trahan   July 6th, 2010 7:41 pm ET

Absolute favorite talent scout show interview: Larry King with Miss America, proclaiming (was that Miss California??) her rights as a mutli-faceted WOman...intellect, pride and ottapuffoffkindanotreally women's independent rights club leadership HEREE

Marcelo   July 6th, 2010 10:10 pm ET

We are always here!

Dan White   July 7th, 2010 6:27 pm ET

congrats Larry on your sucess. We as americans need to impeach Barac Obama!, he is failing to protect our borders,letting americans lose their lives in our own country as they try to protect their own land!.Shame on this President and this congress,,our country is being invaded and all they can do is sue Arizona.....Help us all !!!

Botos Barnabás   July 12th, 2010 7:17 am ET

Respected editorial office!

For stick Barnabás call in, I live on Artemisia, this Budapest breast there are two km-re. I would like to establish the contact
with a reasonable manager, my knowledge single, in all of the world's countries saleable my knowledge.
And this one three billionaires would be businesses only till now I did not find a man like that who would start or would espouse my knowledge.

Please, read my letter, because in my opinion my ideas could be interesting
enoung to publish them in you magazine
------------------------------------
The Origin of Mankind an Animals

I would like to announce a great sensation. After thirty years' steady search I have
managed to solve the origin of mankind and animals and Iknow why we live here,
on this planet called the Earth.

Where does life come from? This is an old guestion which is still unsolved.Iread
Plenty of scientific books and listened to scientific argumentations before
summarizing my theori.
In my opinion the secret of the origin has been unknown, because the wrong way
has been chosen when the others have tried to fínd the solution.

Iown two books with special opinions, but the authors do not pay attention to a
fact, which could be the proper basic to the search .Why? Maybe, during their
research, everyone has tried to find their personal profits.
It was written thousands years ago,that when somebody would find the origin of
life, it would have to be announced to:' everybody everybody will see and listen to
it...'

I own three books of which I have summarized the origin of life and the fact, why
it is not infinite. Ihave evidence that UFOs do not exist so human beings are the
most intelligent in the Universe. I can answer guestions like: Why is the genetic
code of human beings so similar /99,4% to the code of the chimpanzee?
We have faulty ideas of life so we go on the wrong way.

It would be a great pleasure for me if I could find a newspaper or magazine which
published my ideas and aTV station which transmitted them. We could be much
cleverer then /Although as Einstein said: The Universe and the supidity of people
are infinite, but I am not sure about my first idea./
So I ask for your help so that I can announce my theory, which has not been
solved for over 11,000 years, when civilization started.

I have been working hard in my life, but sometimes I have been robbed. I would
like to keep the secret until I share it with everybody in a press conference. Then I
gave the knowledge which would be about three books. Then I can be asked and I
will do answer all the guestions, because my evidence is 100 per cent sure.

I look forward to answering my letter.
Yours faithfully: Barnabás Botos

Üröm
Rákóczi utca 61
2096
Hungary

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter