CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 1, 2010

Jerry Weintraub: "When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead"

Posted: 09:00 PM ET

He sold Elvis to the masses, staged Sinatra’s comeback, and has the biggest stars on speed dial!  Watch an interview with Hollywood’s ultimate insider – Jerry Weintraub – Friday night on LKL!

Via HuffingtonPost.com

I wrote my book because it's time to tell. After all, life is relationships, and relationships are memories, and memories are really just stories. By telling these stories–in this one, I am being muscled by the mob; in that one, I am sitting on the roof of Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas with Sinatra, trying to lift him from his funk–I wanted to preserve those relationships and see just what could be learned, then pass it on, to my children and grandchildren most of all. If an old man is not a teacher, then he's not doing his job.

And in writing, I realized that my story is just a small part of a bigger story, which is the story of my generation and time–I am just one of the thousands of kids who came out of the neighborhoods of New York and Chicago and Philadelphia and so on, kids, hundreds of thousands of us, with no formal education but who were maybe the best educated generation in the history of the country, having learned from our parents and on the street. I understood too that the story of my life, which is the story of the kid with a dream when the dream comes true, the hustling, working, scheming kid who produced and made and gave away, is just a strand, part of a whole, and that it would not make sense until I set it down.

You see, I had finally grasped the central lesson of my own adventures: if you keep going when everyone tells you to quit; if you press on even when you have been told it's all over; if you ignore the singing of the fat lady and the falling of the curtain; if you drive on, even when it's dark and even in the rain, then you win. That was the promise of America when I was a kid, and it' s still the promise today, but only if you believe in it and only if you keep trying.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Entertainment • Larry King Live

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   July 1st, 2010 10:39 pm ET

Yes, it is called THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS! Those were the days.

Lovely, inspirational words above. His book should be interesting. I hope I can get hold of it.

Thanks for the memories!

Diana Peach   July 2nd, 2010 1:24 pm ET

Dear Larry,

Please tell your viewers where they can send donations to the Sea Shepherd to help save the whales and other marine life.
We need you Larry, the World needs you to make this a better and more humane world. You unite us so we can help those less fortunate. DO NOT QUIT!! YOU ARE REACHING MILLIONS OF VIEWERS TO MADE A DIFFERENCE IN OUR WORLD AND UNIVERSE. YOU ARE VERY MUCH LOVED BY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW OUT THERE. YOU MAY NOT KNOW US BUT WE KNOW YOU AND WE HAVE MADE 9PM ON CNN EVERY NIGHT PART OF OUR LIVES TO EDUCATE, INFORM AND ALLOWING US TO BE A PART OF HELPING AND CONTRIBUTING.
WE NEED YOUR BIG, KIND, GENTLE HEART IN A HEARTLESS WORLD. YOU CANNOT BE REPLACED – EVER!!

Smith in Oregon   July 2nd, 2010 4:39 pm ET

Spy's Among Us and the rise of the New Right.

What is entirely missing in the discussion of the alleged Russian 'spys' is yet another US Dept. of Justice attempt to remove another series of freedoms from the American people as they previously did under the guise of 'The Patriot Act'.

I have read the entire DOJ complaint against those individuals signed by a butt-warming FBI agent in his darkened cubicle. After nearly a full decade of wire taps on these individuals phones, tape and video recordings in their homes, and watching their children the evidence is very, very thin to say the least.

Only one single individual is alleged to have approached a un-named government employee and asked him about nuclear energy. Russia knows as much about nuclear energy as America making this allegation questionable at best in this time and decade.

Several individuals are alleged to have received money from Russia and charged with money laundering. If they had been registered as mere lobbyists, none of them would have been even charged with these allegations. Lobbyists across America receive overseas money and many Republican politicians are happy and eager to receive as much of that money as their pockets can hold.

Short wave radios, encryption software? What a load of crap, in the post Bush Family Values era millions of law abiding American citizens routinely have and use encryption software on their computers to keep out the snoops, regardless if the snoops are criminals or the true bottom feeders such as the State Police, NSA, FBI etc. A good free encryption software that I highly recommend is 'TrueCrypt' written in Europe (much better and more secure) and can fully protect your hard drive and flash drives against such snoops and bottom feeders.

Many internet law abiding American citizens use Stenography software which is freely available to inject messages and small enhancement files into their photos, music and video files. The encryption is often fairly weak but when placed on a public photo bucket type site, in plain sight with thousands of other non-enhanced photos forces a potential bottom feeders to go thru thousands of photos which of course they aren't going to do.

It seems obvious some if not all of these alleged 'spy' individuals were aware their phones were tapped and responded to protect their conversations with their friends and associates. Again, this is entirely what anyone of any common sense would do. Under the horrific Bush-Cheney administration, wire taps could be ordered for a 'ham sandwich' even if it were later found to be a 'illegal request', that ham sandwich which had absolutely nothing to do with anything illegal was tapped and everything said to that ham sandwich was recorded to be used as potential blackmail, extortion or threat against that person.

This has all the hallmarks of a ultra-right Dept. of Justice attempting another push to place America under a police state similar to East Germany. Curbing no contract cell phones, flash drives, encryption software, short wave radios and transmitters would be yet another extreme invasive removal of a great many of the few remaining American freedoms that still remain after Bush-Cheney gutted a great many under the 'Patriot Act'. I have and use all of those aforementioned devices with the sole exception of a shortwave burst transmitter, which I wish I had but do not, I even have federal licenses to use all of them, big deal. This red-baiting paranoia is nothing but another DOJ attempt to remove more American freedoms.

Chinese American businessmen across America perform these same allegations everyday. Updating their friends and nationals in China of their business, concerns, problems and prevailing updates all perfectly legal.

In this post Bush Family Values era, if everyday American Citizens do not push back against US Dept. of Justice attempts to transform America into their version of East Germany, more American Freedoms are going to be utterly gutted and removed as the rise of the New Right marches onward.

Cory Cooper   July 2nd, 2010 7:11 pm ET

Dear Mr. King,

Please ask Mr. Weintraub how he found out Elvis had passed away. Also, how was life on the road touring with Elvis and his working relationship with Elvis' manager, Colonel Tom Parker.

Thank you.

Cory Cooper
Elvis Historian

gerald Jolly   July 2nd, 2010 7:16 pm ET

Question.

How much money did Jerry Weintraub make from promoting his clients.

I cannot believe he did it for nothing,

Was he compensated in any way for the ??? WORK??? he supposedly did???

VERY HANDSOMELY I SUGGEST.

Gloria Glover   July 2nd, 2010 9:23 pm ET

Jerry: I was in a show with Jane Morgan if you can remember Precious Blood Young Peoples Club and you were in the bbackground watching and giving Jane all kinds of advice. I knew you were going to be somebody big and I was right.

Gail Zimmer   July 2nd, 2010 10:17 pm ET

Larry,

Thank You! What a great show with Jerryy. it was terrific.!! i loved hearing his stories . I would love him to come back and share many more..... What an inspiration!!! I am in Sales as a profession. He is my new idol.. Great interview great show.

thank you thank you thank you...

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   July 3rd, 2010 1:31 am ET

Diana Peach July 2nd, 2010 1:24 pm ET

Dear Larry,
------
Heartfelt words. Thank you.

gerald Jolly   July 3rd, 2010 12:50 pm ET

Cant wait for Jery Weintraup to stop talking.

I Love Elvis   July 3rd, 2010 2:27 pm ET

Wish he would have talked more about Elvis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glyndola   July 3rd, 2010 10:08 pm ET

I watch the Larry King show often and found the interview with Mr. Weintraub one of the best. He was sincerely, candid and quite inspiring. I wish he could talk personally with my son who is into music and bring out some of his greatness as a starving producer. My son is exceptionally talented but questions himself. Thanks in advance. Glyndola

Richard Weintraub[No Relation to the Real Weintraub]   July 4th, 2010 12:20 pm ET

Larry:You Always ask the Questions that the People want to Ask your Guests-You will be Missed

You and Jerry Weintraub are One of a Kind-both American Icons and New Yorkers-and Mensches
Richard

P..S.Where Can I obtain a Copy of your Interview with "Uncle" Jerry Weintraub

gerald Jolly   July 5th, 2010 9:41 am ET

I sure hope Jerry Weintraub will stop talking soon

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter