CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 1, 2010

ICYMI – Elizabeth Edwards on John and Chemo

Posted: 10:18 AM ET
Doug   July 1st, 2010 10:52 am ET

I am a 4 time cancer survivor (knock on wood) and I was SOOO impressed with Ms. Elizabeth Edwards and her battles with cancer. She is an inspiration and an example of grace under fire. Being a retired US Army officer, I always thought my greatest battles would in defense of our nation, I never knew it would be against an evil enemy within my own body. I applaud Ms. Edward's common sense, and brave approach to her disease and life.
I salute you ma'am!

StickyBeak   July 1st, 2010 11:27 am ET

OMG, That had to have been the most amazing interview I have ever witnessed. Elizabeth, you are my Hero.. Beyond Resiliency.
I am amazed she can stand head held high though all of her lifes burdens and tribulations. We sure missed out on one amazing First Lady, though glad the forces weren't behind the other half of that union.

Kathy M   July 1st, 2010 1:26 pm ET

Loved the interview with Elizabeth Edwards. I admire her so much. Haven't read her book yet, but plan to. One thing that annoyed me was Larry King asking her about her sex life towards the end of the interview, although he called it "affection" and asked her how she's managing without it. Give me a break. The lady is 61 yrs old, has terminal cancer, and was recently publicly humiliated, lied to and cheated on by her husband of 30+ years. Do you really think she's worrying about whether or not she has a new man lined up? I remember that Queen Noor of Jordan was asked whether she's "dating" again when she was on Larry King only about 6 months after the death of King Hussein. Ditto Dana Reeves, Christopher Reeve's widow. I think that's an inappropriate question in those circumstances.

lee   July 1st, 2010 2:55 pm ET

A great interview. When Rielle doesn't get all his money she will spill the beans on him to the highest bidder. She comes across like all the other mistresses that sold her story, but think she has nothing to offer to the public but her very silly personality. Elizabeth has more class than this person will ever have. John is washed up so guess they make a equal team.

lk

Katie   July 1st, 2010 3:07 pm ET

I totally agree with Kathy M. I admire Elizabeth and have come to understand her reason for not mentioning Rielle. She simply doesn't want to be defined by anything but what she chooses to put in her life. I get that. She wants to move on and I get that too. So, we should all let the Edwards family reclaim their own lives. They are really not public figures any more. She's selling her book. All that want to read it will if they choose to do so. I just hope Elizabeth can have some peace in all of this.

Joyce S   July 1st, 2010 9:57 pm ET

I agree with Katie. I do hope you get needed resolve from writing about it. I think it's good therapy. I had noticed that John walked in front of Elizabeth and children sometimes when I viewed them. I believe he has a personality disorder!

jacqueline ruane   July 2nd, 2010 1:00 am ET

Thank you Larry for having this show about saving the whales- I am upset watching this but this has been such a problem for so many years- god bless those people and to bring up the gulf problems with that ulitmate loser BP – they will rot in hell............

ok going to go out on a nice note and say thanks and god bless

jacqueline

Elaine   July 2nd, 2010 12:32 pm ET

While her battle with cancer is very tragic, she looked remarkably well for someone who had chemo earlier in the day. She was fresh faced and without any wrinkles for a 61 year old woman.

Contrary to the other comments, I do not think she came across very well. She was hesitant and evasive and I sensed she was lying. Larry had to ask her again how she learned of John's affair with Rielle. She gave a muddled answer.

Then she said she did not read the full GQ interview with Rielle. I don't think anyone believes this. She also referred to herself as the stepmother to John and Rielle's daughter, which I thought was unbelievable and presumptuous, particularly when she will not even refer to Rielle by name.

She did a good job at detracting from all the negative things said about her in recent books, appearing mumsy and innocent, but I sensed fury inside her. The authors of Game Change had no reason to be so negative about her, but they were. That speaks volumes and I am sure that is the real Elizabeth.

blair   July 2nd, 2010 1:07 pm ET

The show allowed Elizabeth to present the image of herself that she wanted, thus all the positive comments. But the phone calls she made to Andrew Young and his wife present a very different person. She should have been allowed to explain them but ignoring them makes it seem like there was no good explanation. Not allowing Reille's name to be used also seemed controlling and childish. Whether you use her name or not, she still exists. Larry, if you are not going to ask the hard question, at least, allow viewer phone calls.

julie in atlanta   July 2nd, 2010 4:36 pm ET

You GO, Elizabeth. Much much❤ from your friend Julie in Atlanta.

Faye   July 2nd, 2010 6:17 pm ET

I can just look at his (John Edwards) face and get annoyed, chalk on a blackboard annoyed... Does this mean we get to see LESS of him now, please......

Casey   July 5th, 2010 3:25 am ET

Elizabeth, I am consistently amazed at your grace and courage.
As a stage 3 cancer survivor, I cannot imagine what you have to face with stage 4, and the issues with your husband. Your grace with all that you have to deal with is an inspiration to all of us when we think we have it bad. I am so touched by how you face your life and how you have turned it into the best that it could be. thank you for this. thank you for showing us how the worst of all things can still be seen as a blessing. You are a dear and courageous woman.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter