CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 29, 2010

19th Duggar baby finally at home with family

Posted: 12:53 PM ET

by Alicia Dennis
via people.com

It's at last one big, happy Duggar family – emphasis on big.

Josie, the 19th child born to Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, returned to their busy house last week after spending most of the first six months of her life in a neonatal intensive care unit where she fought for her life after being born dangerously premature.

Although the baby was released from Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock on June 3, her homecoming was delayed because 12 of her siblings got the chicken pox and had to be separated from her. Josie spent three weeks with her mother in a rental house near the hospital until the other children recovered back home with dad.

Finally, on June 25, mother and child made the over 200-mile road trip from Little Rock to Tontitown, Ark., and were met by streamers, hand-made "Welcome Home" banners, old Christmas decorations – and 17 of Josie's siblings (oldest son Josh lives on his own with his wife and baby).

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Duggar Family

joni   June 29th, 2010 1:51 pm ET

well, I am glad the baby is ok and home .... but I do think it's time for these people to STOP having babies, and exploiting these kids on TV!!! It's a shame, to say the least.

Smith in Oregon   June 29th, 2010 2:58 pm ET

I'm certain that ole Mormon Mitt Romney would be proud. Little wonder why he is the Republican-Tea Potty choice for their presidential candidate in 2012. A non-progressive view kind of like a roll back to the early settler days when child mortality was high and birth control entirely missing.

Large numbers of children provided the settler familys with enough hands to work large family farms. In modern times, Republican led corporate farms have entirely torpedoed large family farms which produce much of America's food and largely missing in critical nutrients due to their wide scale commercial pesticide and petrol-chemical fertilizer farming practices.

mcmargie   June 29th, 2010 3:46 pm ET

Talk about High Blood Pressure!

Chere   June 29th, 2010 5:12 pm ET

@Smith in Oregon,
Sort of like the Kennedys' ? Or is it different for them because they were and are all Democrats?

LYoung   June 29th, 2010 6:09 pm ET

Isn't this suppose to be the land of the free? Free to live our lives however we choose. So why do so many people criticize when people actually do that?

kathe   June 29th, 2010 6:19 pm ET

yes I'm glad too that the baby is ok. but come on I think God is trying to tell you something now. STOP. your body needs a rest and needs to heal from all tho's births.stop please.

Claudia, Houston, Tx   June 29th, 2010 7:56 pm ET

More proof, a woman has a right to do what she wants with her own body.

gerald Jolly   June 29th, 2010 8:32 pm ET

YUP and that's entertainment

IN LALA LAND MAYBE!!!

Bryoney   June 29th, 2010 10:26 pm ET

I look at people who are parents of one or two children and think, "how did that person deserve the right to procreate?" At least with the Duggars you can tell their children are intelligent, well adjusted, happy, and well taken care of without TV, the computer, or video games for a babysitter! They know what their beliefs are and they all, from the parents to Josie, have a right to believe they way they do. (keep in mind i am pagan.)
I am thrilled there are 19 children out there who will do well in this world and not turn into crimminals. We need more parents who take time with their kids the way the Duggars do to talk to them about dating, sex, drugs, etc. If you have ever watched the show, you find out that Michelle and Jim Bob's priority is "sharing our childrens hearts." Meaning, they care what their children are thinking about and how they are feeling.
The children old enough to date made it clear that they were given a choice about how they wanted to go about dating. They do not have to do everything the way their parents did.
I fully understand the medical risks of having a child over a certain age, but i see just as many risks when lazy, self centered people have kids. People who don't help their kids with homework, or read to them, or play with them, or overwhelm them with more extracurricular activities than ten kids to do let alone one, or just talk to them openly and honestly. Those are the people who we should be criticizing and worrying about their children.
By the way, if the child does not want to be taped, he or she just has to say so and they wont be. None of them are forced to be on that show and it is naive to think so. it would be against the law for many reasons.

Liza   June 29th, 2010 11:31 pm ET

I have to say, I'm a woman, I'm pro-choice, and I dare say I disagree with the Duggars on many political issues.

HOWEVER...

I truly believe they are an honest, loving family that does take care of all of the children that they are fortunate enought to have. While I would never choose their life, I am truly happy to see their beautiful family thrive. I prayed for their little daughter with all my heart and I am truly happy to see her home with her wonderful parents and loving siblings. May God blesss all of them.

Missy   June 30th, 2010 12:34 am ET

They need a new hobby. Maybe hopscotch?

shawn   June 30th, 2010 12:39 am ET

19 children is more than enough she need her damn tubes tied shes to old please stop

shawn   June 30th, 2010 12:42 am ET

i'm glad she is able to have so many wonderful childern for there are those that can not i just think its time for her to swtop and enjoy life =)

Joyce   June 30th, 2010 10:16 am ET

Chicken Pox? Aren't vaccines required against this age-old childhood disease? Do they not believe in vaccinating their children?

STOP   June 30th, 2010 1:51 pm ET

This is ridiculous 19 kids, to keep having them is irresponsible while in a recession.
@ Bryoney these kids aren't even having the chancce to be kids they are all given the responsibility to take care of some other sibling essentially turning them into a parent. Pretty much soon if she keeps going these kids will start walking out.

James Jones   June 30th, 2010 2:00 pm ET

This guy should have been castrated about 14 kids ago.
This is stupid to have this many kids
I am sure the govement will wind up taking care of them

Hanan Habib   June 30th, 2010 4:01 pm ET

it's the first time i heard about you, but i am very happy to know smart , wonderful, strong, lucky man and i wish for you happines ,love with your family forever. god blesse you

Best Regards,
Hanan Habib

Anne   July 1st, 2010 11:34 pm ET

@Joyce

I didn't think of that! The varicella vaccine is optional but recommended, I think. They don't go to public school, so no shot records are required. There have been many debates on the safety of such vaccines, and the way they seem mandatory.

I caught chicken pox when I was younger (I'm a few years older than their oldest), and did fine. Maybe they thought that with this particular virus, going through it naturally was best. The only reason why I got my daughter the shot is because she is MISERABLE when she's sick in any way – lol.

Otherwise, yes – I think she should stop; she's 42. However; this is pro-choice at work. She chooses to leave it up to God and have as many kids as she can. Just like I choose to be on birth control.
This is America – it's their choice; why judge? It's not interfering with YOUR life.

Mary-Jane   July 2nd, 2010 12:04 am ET

I feel sorry for the children. Can you imagine trying to vie for the attention of your mother or father and you have 18 others in direct competition. With the world already over populated, why is this family receiving so much attention? We already are fishing out the oceans, injecting our animals, with unknown health substances, we consume so they will grow larger and faster because of our over population. We are placing chemicals in the soil so we can grow more food. The bottom issue is "over population" How much longer do you think our planet can sustain our vast population with a voracious appetite?

naomi   July 2nd, 2010 12:21 am ET

these children are not kept by our government. they support themselves and do a dang good job. i see people every day who take all they can get from the government and when they do not get any more they growl and say we have a right too we got more kids. if the duggars want to have more children they should not have to worry about what others think. we do not support them!!!!!!! we do not support them

Mary-Jane   July 2nd, 2010 12:37 am ET

@ Bryoney

Unless you know the family personally, and even then, you still do not know how intelligent, well adjusted the children are. The most dysfunctional families can "appear" normal to everyone on the outside!!!!!

Bryoney   July 2nd, 2010 9:36 pm ET

@James jones the duggars, unike over 60% of the american population, have ZERO debt! The have no credit cards, no loans, no car payments, and no mortgage. they are always plugging some financial seminar they went to. plus, they own commercial real estate and profit from the show. i wish i was in their financial shoes, if only for zero debt. I doubt they will need government assistance...ever.

@STOP i had no idea that being a helpful part of a family, such as helping to look after a younger sibling, was turning someone into a parent. i thought all families loved each other and helped keep an eye on each other. in case you didn't notice, none of them look particularly unhappy. it's not like they have to sacrifice things they want to do, like dates or something. with a family so large, they need more help.

@MaryJane i agree with you, but I would like to point out, that unlike with any other reality show, not one person on this show has shown up elsewhere in the media for some sex/drug/etc scandal. Its pretty easy to read people. on john and kate plus 8, you could see the tension between them on the show long before they admitted anything was wrong. its not hard to read people. I am not trying to say i know everything, just that the Duggars have recieved a bad rap. I agree they should think about not having more children. But I think there is a lot everyone could learn about how to be a great parent from them. All the info in my first post and this one comes directly from the mouths of the Duggars.

mary u from ohio   July 11th, 2010 1:45 pm ET

Happy that Josie is home.... she is a Strong Baby Girl....
Love from your family.. Duggers that helped her...
You Have a Strong Family Bond...

Mom   August 11th, 2010 10:55 pm ET

God Bless them. If all children turned out as well as the Duggers have then the world would be a better place.

LTP   August 12th, 2010 10:43 am ET

God Bless them! they had these children on purpose and out of love. They are taking care of there own family w/o the help of the gov't. People need to stop criticzing this family. Live you life and let them live theirs. They dont come into your house unless you invite them in so stop watching if you dont like it it. The kids are well mannered, educated and kind. Wow, what a concept – well functioning humans.

Here's another 1 man, with 1 wife. All his children have the same mother and all her children have the same father. Not one baby daddy in the bunch. No child support order. Leave these folks alone.

FYI: despite the vaccine, you can still get chicken pox. All shots dont prevent 100% of occurance.

Cristine   August 12th, 2010 1:04 pm ET

Are they insane? The last baby nearly cost Michelle her own life, not to mention Josie's! The later in their child bearing years woman are MORE likely to have preeclampsia, premature birth and other serious complications. Hasn't her body had enough already?

I think this is more than just following their faith, I think there is a psychological/mental issue at work here – this appears to be an addiction at the very least. Just because you are ABLE to have a baby, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Why hasn't Jim Bob put his foot down because he almost lost his wife? Michelle has suffered preeclampsia in 3 of her pregnancies – why would she even chance it? Does a child have to die to make them stop?

wilhamena   August 12th, 2010 3:48 pm ET

This is so sad I feel for the older girls. It seems like they are the ones that are rearing this family. I hope they get there chance to go to regular college and don't end up having the same dull life the mother has.

Ladye   August 12th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

How can all the children have the love and attention from their parents, they deserve?

Epona   August 17th, 2010 6:32 am ET

My issue with these parents are that they are neglecting their older children. I do not see them having real life skills. Sure, they can drive. Have they had the STD talk, the driving drunk talk, the smoking weed talk? They seem socially retarded by their narrow minded and selfish parents. I do not mean that to be mean in any way. What happens to one of their daughters when one of their husbands leave them with 13 children to care for? These people do not live in the real world. Their daughters are raised to be cattle. Their sons can always work in the family business, but not the daughters. They are little more than uterus's with legs.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter