CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 28, 2010

Michael Scott to Leave Dunder Mifflin

Posted: 05:16 PM ET

Can "The Office" survive without Steve Carell?  Leave your thoughts here.

By Kristin Dos Santos
via Eonline.com

If you happen to see Steve Carell in the next few days, knock him over the head, will ya? Out of love? 'Cause clearly his brain has gotten all jumbly.

One of TV's best comedic actors of all time has just confirmed to us that he is indeed leaving The Office this May—argh!—and get this, seems to think no one will care...

E! News hit the red carpet for Steve's new movie Despicable Me last night, and Steve made it clear he was not joking when he told BBC Radio he would leave The Office after the coming 2010-2011 season.

"I just think it's time," Steve told our Kristina Guerrero. "I want to fulfill my contract. When I first signed on I had a contract for seven seasons, and this coming year is my seventh. I just thought it was time for my character to go."

But according to Steve, The Office could go on without him. "It doesn't certainly mean the end of the show. I think it's just a dynamic change to the show, which could be a good thing, actually. Add some new life and some new energy...I see it as a positive in general for the show."

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Entertainment • Steve Carell • Television

jerryabney   June 28th, 2010 9:26 pm ET

gun law-if the goverment wants to pass a gun law than thats great-but first they have to pass the disappear law so that all guns-police-gangs-and homeowners guns all disappear at the say time.
If not then we still have guns?

Adele McCallum   June 28th, 2010 9:32 pm ET

Absolutely not. A show can't survive without its main character! I understand the concept of quitting while he's ahead, but the rest of the show can't continue without him! I think the show will lose a lot of viewers. Whoever the "new life and new energy" they bring into the show will have some pretty big shoes to fill.

JESSE FREITAS   June 28th, 2010 9:38 pm ET

STEVE CARELL IS ONE OF THE BEST COMEDIC ACTORS OF THIS GENERATION AND HE COULD PROBABLY BE VERY FUNNY ON ANOTHER SHOW, BUT MICHEAL SCOTT IS THE KEY PERFORMANCE ON THE SHOW AND THERE IS NO WAY IT WOULD WORK WITHOUT HIM. I THINK HE IS CRAZY FOR GIVING UP WHAT COULD BE THE CHARACTER OF HIS CAREER.

Pam   June 28th, 2010 10:01 pm ET

The office will NEVER survive if Michael Scott is not there....PLEASE Steve reconsider...its the only show that makes me laugh out loud and if you knew me...that is hard to do..:)

Patrick   June 28th, 2010 10:03 pm ET

Of course The Office can stay around. The lead writer is one of the cast members. So, in this case I don't see losing the lead actor being any harm to the quality of the show. Some of the best moments was when Micheal Scott had nothing to do with the scene.

randy   June 29th, 2010 12:06 am ET

absolutly not the show is done with out him he makes that show happen

Ellie Kelman   June 29th, 2010 12:18 am ET

The show will not survive Steve's character's absence.

Green   June 29th, 2010 9:10 am ET

You have to have a Michael Scott boss in order for the show to survive.
The other cast members activities bounce off the ineptness of their boss. I'll probably will still watch because I'm hooked, but I fear the end of the Office.

Green   June 29th, 2010 9:12 am ET

It would be like if Jack Tripper character chose to leave 3s Company, leaving only the girls behind.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter